• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned a few pages back that I used to work for Headstrong (or Kuju London as it was called). Based on the direction they seemed to be heading while I was there - pitching games to other publishers, which resulted in them developing HoTD:OK for Sega, plus the mediocre reviews and sales figures BWii received, and finally the fact that BW 3 never got off the ground on Wii, I wouldn't bet on Nintendo commissioning another Battalion Wars any time soon. They passed up the option to publish the game that became LotR for Wii (and PS3) too.
Thanks for correcting me Cheesecake. Quiet unfortunate then. I don't see Intelligent Systems working on a Battalion/Advance Wars for the WiiU, hopefully im wrong.

Thanks for correcting me Cheesecake. Quiet unfortunate then. I don't see Intelligent Systems working on a Battalion/Advance Wars for the WiiU, hopefully im wrong.
I would love Advance Wars on Wii U, or a version of BW that took more from it. In fact I think all the testers secretly wished BWii was more like AW :p I just doubt that Nintendo considers the BW franchise something worth maintaining, unless Headstrong comes up with a Wii U prototype that blows Nintendo away.

But ain't nobody be thinking about stealing my Conference OT!

Right, Nibel!?

This is why we should all band together and speculate extra hard to ensure a Thread VII, so Nibel gets a chance. Oh, and that fellow whose avatar reminds me a little of that "Dude, you have a Dell!" guy. He wanted to flex some creative musculature, as well.

isn't nintendo reknown for using their custom protocols to avoid this kind of stuff? i know the wiimote works on pc/mac, but did anyone actually managed to emulate a 3DS <--> 3DS connection or a DS <--> Wii connection?

Frankly, I think it's so custom that even Nintendo forgot how to do it.

Ninjedit: I almost wrote "we should all ban together". This seems much more likely to happen, now that I think about it.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I wouldn't get too caught up on what was released at that time. To semi-translate what he's saying, it would be akin to switching your graphics card from a 5770 to a 6790. Paper spec-wise they are virtually the same, but because the 6790 is more modern there are things it can do better which in turn gives it an extra (small) boost when it comes to current games that can utilize those things. An example of what could be said is that an even more modern tessellator, like what may be used in the GCN GPUs, was added during the tweaking process.

Yeah i definitively didn't say "Nintendo pursued their tweaking on the mass production dev kits until the same time AMD commercialized HD7XXX chips, so it means Big N packed those in the big development box".

There are a lot of scenarios actually. As it's internal/under NDA/very secretive matters/early creation talks & engineering exchanges, it's obvious that Nintendo, if AMD thought it was relevant for the graphical capabilities needs of the Wii U, were informed of AMD advancements far earlier than the public release of southern islands based graphic cards. Maybe some innovations, refinements, features, of those chips, while they were in a certain step in their development (initial design ? firsts prototypes ? polishing ?), were suggested/proposed to Nintendo for the Wii U GPU. Maybe the latter is a so customized design that the heritage from existing chip is thin, it doesn't share a lot of DNA in the end with HD4XXX/HD5XXX/HD6XXX/HD7XXX (the more likely case). Let's just hope this GPU will pack AND enough raw power, AND be complete and modern feature-wise to support next-gen engines.

Im curious about this. Are you claiming the integrated WiiU tablet camera could do eye tracking? Do we even know the specs of the camera?

The DS could do something like this, and the Wii U will certainly be more capable.

You don't have to track the eyes. Just see how far down the two ovoid white patches are compared to the big, dark patch around them. That is, measure the tilt of the head from the perspective of the camera.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm listening to the IBM Investor Briefing currently, to which I supplied a question about the CPU in Wii U, and I noticed that next speaker is Jon Iwata. Kinda funny.

I'm expecting nothing from it, but it has been quite interesting so far regarding other areas than video gaming: http://www.ibm.com/investor/events/investor0512/index.phtml

AMD has an event tomorrow as well, I'll tune in to that.

HylianTom

Banned
I would love Advance Wars on Wii U, or a version of BW that took more from it. In fact I think all the testers secretly wished BWii was more like AW :p I just doubt that Nintendo considers the BW franchise something worth maintaining, unless Headstrong comes up with a Wii U prototype that blows Nintendo away.
BW on the U would be incredible, being able to coordinate and orchestrate attacks using the subscreen. I could imagine toy soldiers on a map that you can move around.. it could be so gooood.. hmm..

Hmm. My only issue with the "boat at NASCAR" argument is that this started before the Wii. Nintendo brought a pretty respectably-specc'd vehicle to the raceway one time before. It sold well initially, and even when sales dropped, its numbers were still comparable to those of another platform that was getting support. Yet we saw lots of instances of "intelligent developers" and publishers doing the whole "for xbox/PS2/PC" pattern, with the GameCube version conspicuously absent. They ignored Nintendo's racecar.

(and a snarky side-jab to the devs/pubs: if they were so "intelligent," not as many of them would've made dumb business decisions leading to so many them dropping from existence while the Wii was the market leader.)

But we shall see. I hope you are correct.

As I've been saying for a while now, this isn't true, at least not in the case of many third parties. I was posting on GAF back when we still got the complete NPD numbers, and with very rare exceptions, multiplatform titles not only sold worst on GC, but disproportionately so relative to the platform's userbase. It's why, for instance, Sega Sports completely abandoned GC in early 2003, because their first two years of sports titles - a key genre for what we'd today call the "dudebro" crowd, obviously - sold so badly on GC compared to even the Xbox versions.

Yes, there were a few key third parties like Rockstar that barely supported GC to begin with, and others that Nintendo alienated with its refusal to support online on the platform, but the ball has always been primarily in Nintendo's court, and any difficulties they currently might be having in getting third parties behind the system are a result primarily of Nintendo's own past decisions. I don't believe that purely irrational contempt for Nintendo is a significant factor here, even if it sometimes comes off that way.

Effect

I wonder if people are scared after the Rayman Legends leak. Maybe that's the reason we haven't seen any major leaks even with being so close to E3. NDA had to be strong before but I wonder if Nintendo brought the hammer down even more after that or if companies did themselves in order to preempt anything Nintendo could do to them.

FoneBone

As I've been saying for a while now, this isn't true, at least not in the case of many third parties. I was posting on GAF back when we still got the complete NPD numbers, and with very rare exceptions, multiplatform titles not only sold worst on GC, but disproportionately so relative to the platform's userbase. It's why, for instance, Sega Sports completely abandoned GC in early 2003, because their first two years of sports titles - a key genre for what we'd today call the "dudebro" crowd, obviously - sold so badly on GC compared to even the Xbox versions.
Yep. And from what I recall, the exceptions (other than Soul Calibur II) were almost entirely younger-skewing stuff - Sonic, Harry Potter, Disney/Pixar licenses.

BW on the U would be incredible, being able to coordinate and orchestrate attacks using the subscreen. I could imagine toy soldiers on a map that you can move around.. it could be so gooood.. hmm..
If the subscreen was basically a real-time version of advance wars and on the main screen you took control of individual units then yes, that would be awesome!

Fabrik

Banned
One thing that must be complicated for developers: if a game use the touch screen as an input method, how are they going to replace it when the game goes into "full portable mode"?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, there were a few key third parties like Rockstar that barely supported GC to begin with, and others that Nintendo alienated with its refusal to support online on the platform, but the ball has always been primarily in Nintendo's court, and any difficulties they currently might be having in getting third parties behind the system are a result primarily of Nintendo's own past decisions. I don't believe that purely irrational contempt for Nintendo is a significant factor here, even if it sometimes come off that way.
The majority of gamers out there only own one console per generation. Single console Nintendo fans have shown themselves to be not particularly interested in third party games. That's the problem.

The DS could do something like this, and the Wii U will certainly be more capable.

You don't have to track the eyes. Just see how far down the two ovoid white patches are compared to the big, dark patch around them. That is, measure the tilt of the head from the perspective of the camera.
But that's more head tracking than actual eye tracking then.

Why are we so sure the WiiU camera will be more capable. The DSi and 3DS have the same camera resolution and they were released years apart. Also uses for the camera to measure or track movements are kind of iffy since its not mounted on an fixed position and could have potential line of sight problems.

RedSwirl

The majority of gamers out there only own one console per generation. Single console Nintendo fans have shown themselves to be not particularly interested in third party games. That's the problem.

Oh God here we go with that chicken-and-egg scenario again.

MisterHero

One thing that must be complicated for developers: if a game use the touch screen as an input method, how are they going to replace it when the game goes into "full portable mode"?
That's just a problem that needs to be answered before development begins. Some games will use it, some won't/don't have too (current gen ports)

Rösti;37684495 said:
Nothing special, but full floor plans are up now (only West Hall was shown in the PDF Sony supplied): http://www.mapyourshow.com/shows/index.cfm?Show_ID=E312

In case you haven't seen it, Nintendo's booth (4822) is located in West Hall. Microsoft (4100) and Sony (4522) are there as well, it appears changes have been made as they now only have one booth each instead of two (as reported on the PDF dated March). So, no Durango or Orbis, then? Nah, amount of booths/booth size shouldn't reflect what a company intends to show.

nintendoe32012boothupjc1.png

Activision, Capcom, Electronic Arts, Sega, Square Enix and Ubisoft, to name a few exhibitors, reside in South Hall.

Following the addition of the floor plans, we should begin to see a rather steady addition of exhibitors under the Wii U product categories. Capcom used to be on the list, so perhaps they will be readded.
Just to note, Nintendo also has booth 5244, which is immediately to the upper-right of the booth noted. (Although the site now labels it as "OFMR5244", if that really means anything. "Only Finnish Men Reach 5244"? "Our Finest Mario Release: 5244"? "We can't spell "FORM" 5244"?)

Fabrik

Banned
That's just a problem that needs to be answered before development begins. Some games will use it, some won't/don't have too (current gen ports)

Yeah it's not a huge problem. In portable mode, they could just make you press a button to make your inventory appear for instance, it would just pause the action.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Not true.

I buy my third party games on PC since they look better there anyway.

Might change with Wii U though, since it shouldn't be as underpowered.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Oh God here we go with that chicken-and-egg scenario again.
Everything started to go wrong when Nintendo pissed off third parties and lost their support with the N64. Nintendo consoles became the machines to own just for Nintendo games, which ended up turning into a self-fulfilling prophecy. They became the systems bought by those who only want Nintendo games, or a secondary console just for Nintendo published titles. The breakout mainstream success of the Wii should have provided Nintendo with the means to break this perception, but the inability of the platform to meet the demands of third parties who had already invested for the HD shift put the kibosh on that.
Not true.

I buy my third party games on PC since they look better there anyway.

Might change with Wii U though, since it shouldn't be as underpowered.
Maybe I should have said 'single platform'. The 'dedicated PC gamer/dedicated Nintendo fan' can be substituted into what I wrote pretty easily.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Just to note, Nintendo also has booth 5244, which is immediately to the upper-right of the booth noted. (Although the site now labels it as "OFMR5244", if that really means anything. "Only Finnish Men Reach 5244"? "Our Finest Mario Release: 5244"? "We can't spell "FORM" 5244"?)
Yeah, the floor plans appear to have been updated since they were uploaded yesterday. Sony now has (in West Hall) two booths, 4522 and OFMR4144. In total Sony has nine booths/meeting rooms. Maybe Microsoft will snatch booth 4030.

darthdago

But that is not true at all, ok my only single console era was with the N64 and I had (and enjoyed) 3rd party games.

On every Nintendo Console I have a lot of 3rd party games doesnt matter if I own other consoles too or not....

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
But that is not true at all, ok my only single console era was with the N64 and I had (and enjoyed) 3rd party games.

On every Nintendo Console I have a lot of 3rd party games doesnt matter if I own other consoles too or not....
I'm talking about the general buying trends of a large group of people. What I write doesn't need to apply to every individual in the group for it to be true.

Vinci

Danish
I'd buy 3rd party games on Nintendo platforms if they didn't overwhelmingly suck ass and/or insult me as a customer, which is what they mostly did on the Wii.

Go figure.

If 3rd parties had treated the 360 or PS3 the way they did the Wii, believe me - neither of those would have the reputations they do now. Nor would their audience be the same.

EDIT: Also, considering the amount of 3rd party titles that did sell on the Wii? It's hard to state that its audience wasn't interested. The problem was that they only got so many meaningful choices.

MisterHero

I enjoyed 3rd Party games on Gamecube because they felt better with the GC controller, in a time when Dualshock and The Duke lived

Except for fighting games, a misconception which Capcom itself proved wrong by making TvC work on it.

But that's more head tracking than actual eye tracking then.

Why are we so sure the WiiU camera will be more capable. The DSi and 3DS have the same camera resolution and they were released years apart. Also uses for the camera to measure or track movements are kind of iffy since its not mounted on an fixed position and could have potential line of sight problems.

I was talking more from a software standpoint, that there are more resources available to analyze the incoming camera image without meaningfully impacting performance of the system.

But yes, you are correct. It is head tracking. But that's all we were talking about: A system of detecting whether your face is pointing in the direction of the controller or elsewhere. This particular application of the technology won't have any difficulty from how the camera is currently mounted.

RedSwirl

Everything started to go wrong when Nintendo pissed off third parties and lost their support with the N64. Nintendo consoles became the machines to own just for Nintendo games, which ended up turning into a self-fulfilling prophecy. They became the systems bought by those who only want Nintendo games, or a secondary console just for Nintendo published titles. The breakout mainstream success of the Wii should have provided Nintendo with the means to break this perception, but the inability of the platform to meet the demands of third parties who had already invested for the HD shift put the kibosh on that.

Maybe I should have said 'single platform'. The 'dedicated PC gamer/dedicated Nintendo fan' can be substituted into what I wrote pretty easily.

That self-fulfilling prophecy persisted because developers either didn't really try when porting games to Nintendo consoles, or just didn't do so at all. I still think the Nintendo console owner is a largely untested audience when it comes to certain kinds of games. This is coming from a guy who actually played all those 2K Sports games on the Gamecube. The question is whether any third party can be convinced to take that chance anymore.

Let's get it straight here: the ultimate goal that I think a lot of hardcore console gamers want is a single platform on which they can play Mario, Zelda, and Metroid along with Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. That's the dream: to get people on the console with the new 2D Mario or Wii game phenomenon and make them stay for the third party games in-between.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I'd buy 3rd party games on Nintendo platforms if they didn't overwhelmingly suck ass and/or insult me as a customer, which is what they mostly did on the Wii.

Go figure.

If 3rd parties had treated the 360 or PS3 the way they did the Wii, believe me - neither of those would have the reputations they do now. Nor would their audience be the same.

EDIT: Also, considering the amount of 3rd party titles that did sell on the Wii? It's hard to state that its audience wasn't interested. The problem was that they only got so many meaningful choices.
The Wii could have shattered the perception of third party publishers about Nintendo systems. It was a platform that was very capable of generating third party success stories. The problem, as we all know, is that its hardware design was incompatible with the games that the studios had invested in.

Vinci

Danish
Let's get it straight here: the ultimate goal that I think a lot of hardcore console gamers want is a single platform on which they can play Mario, Zelda, and Metroid along with Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. That's the dream: to get people on the console with the new 2D Mario or Wii game phenomenon and make them stay for the third party games in-between.

That should be Nintendo's ultimate goal, yes. To prove that damn theory wrong; to show that 3rd party games can succeed on a Nintendo platform just as well as they do on MS or Sony platforms. 'Cause that's the moment when Nintendo wins at life.

No, I'm not ignoring having a great online solution - but I doubt Nintendo would have one without the other, so it goes with the outcome.

The Wii could have shattered the perception of third party publishers about Nintendo systems. It was a platform that was very capable of generating third party success stories. The problem, as we all know, is that its hardware design was incompatible with the games that the studios had invested in.

And I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm not suggesting that 3rd parties should have shifted all of their efforts to the Wii. What I am arguing, and have always argued on this matter, is that they had franchises that either disappeared this generation or were not able to financially make the transition to the HD twins. [They simply weren't big enough titles, though they had devoted audiences.] In essence, they should have really considered what they had in their library of franchises and titles, and made sound economic decisions about which belonged in the AAA fast-lane (the Blockbuster success or die!) realm - and which didn't. Those that didn't? Shift them to the Wii. Keep the mid-tier games alive, not go into this absurd polarity that results in 'Go Big or Go Home!' thinking.

Instead, they Went Big almost without exception... and LOTS of people lost their jobs because of it.

That self-fulfilling prophecy persisted because developers either didn't really try when porting games to Nintendo consoles, or just didn't do so at all. I still think the Nintendo console owner is a largely untested audience when it comes to certain kinds of games. This is coming from a guy who actually played all those 2K Sports games on the Gamecube. The question is whether any third party can be convinced to take that chance anymore.

Bingo

On the subject of Wii U potentially running UE4, from a business perspective...
Wouldn't Epic be bending over backwards to get it working on there to the best of it's ability?

With the Wii U signalling next-gen you can bet Epic will want their engine up and working to sell to the other guys when PS720 hits.

Also with Epic missing out on UE3 licensing on the highest selling home console, the Wii, you'd think they'd want to make up for it in a big way for next-gen.

Oddduck

It's not that Nintendo owners don't want third party games.

But I don't think they want PS3/360 ports either.

I think PS3/360 owners are more willing to buy ports than Nintendo fans will be.

When it comes to third parties, Nintendo fans always preferred 3rd party exclusives.

He was super excited about that when he posted it, and we were talking about it just before he posted it on the site. It came from an actual dev, but that's about as much as I can say about the source, other than what I've already said.

But that same source has also commented on Epic's comments from yesterday too

So how ever you wish to take the info, with or without salt... or perhaps not at all, E3 should be really good this year. One that I'm sure I will never forget at least.
besides that rumour, not much.

I was talking more from a software standpoint, that there are more resources available to analyze the incoming camera image without meaningfully impacting performance of the system.

But yes, you are correct. It is head tracking. But that's all we were talking about: A system of detecting whether your face is pointing in the direction of the controller or elsewhere. This particular application of the technology won't have any difficulty from how the camera is currently mounted.
Thanks for replying since i haven't followed the line of discussion you and ideaman were following.

What would be great is if the Ucon camera was high res enough for facial recognition. Imagine if the user could load profiles and settings by just pointing the camera to their face. This type of biometrics undoubtedly will land in the PS4 and Next Xbox.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's definitely worth trying again, especially after Nintendo's audience-expanding Wii experiment. The thing is, in this economy and with the console game development scene being in the state it is, a lot of publishers will look at the history of third party sales on Nintendo platforms (despite the last relevant point of comparison being a decade ago) and what sold well on Wii and choose to err on the side of caution.

That said, there's also THQ who are gambling big on Wii U being a success and driving sales on their 'core' games. Maybe a wind change is taking place. I'm not optimistic, though.
And I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm not suggesting that 3rd parties should have shifted all of their efforts to the Wii. What I am arguing, and have always argued on this matter, is that they had franchises that either disappeared this generation or were not able to financially make the transition to the HD twins. [They simply weren't big enough titles, though they had devoted audiences.] In essence, they should have really considered what they had in their library of franchises and titles, and made sound economic decisions about which belonged in the AAA fast-lane (the Blockbuster success or die!) realm - and which didn't. Those that didn't? Shift them to the Wii. Keep the mid-tier games alive, not go into this absurd polarity that results in 'Go Big or Go Home!' thinking.

Instead, they Went Big almost without exception... and LOTS of people lost their jobs because of it.
Very true.

Linkhero1

It's not that Nintendo owners don't want third party games.

But I don't think they want PS3/360 ports either.

I think PS3/360 owners are more willing to buy ports than Nintendo fans will be.

I disagree. I don't mind the 360/PS3 ports, but if that's all they offer at launch then I'm going to be disappointed. Why would I need a Wii U at launch if I can buy the majority of the games on platforms I own? I mean, yeah Nintendo first party titles sure, but it all depends on what they announce in terms of first party as well. I think the majority of people want a variety of ports, exclusives, and first party rather than just ports and first party. Hopefully, come E3, we'll know what the launch lineup looks like.

I disagree. I don't mind the 360/PS3 ports, but if that's all they offer at launch then I'm going to be disappointed. Why would I need a Wii U at launch if I can buy the majority of the games on platforms I own? I mean, yeah Nintendo first party titles sure, but it all depends on what they announce in terms of first party as well. I think the majority of people want a variety of ports, exclusives, and first party rather than just ports and first party. Hopefully, come E3, we'll know what the launch lineup looks like.
that's what I keep saying, if all they have is ports and 1 first party game then I don't think I'll be joining in at launch. I require at least 2 good ones plus some of the 3rd party games I want, not only that but a commitment by nintendo for more first party games in the launch window itself and beyond.

Vinci

Danish
I think it's definitely worth trying again, especially after Nintendo's audience-expanding Wii experiment. The thing is, in this economy and with the console gaming development scene being in the state it's in, a lot of publishers will look at the history of third party sales on Nintendo platforms (despite the last relevant point of comparison being a decade ago) and what sold well on Wii and choose to err on the side of caution.

That said, there's also THQ who are gambling big on Wii U being a success and driving sales on their 'core' games. Maybe a wind change is taking place. I'm not optimistic, though.

If they use the Wii as the basis for decision-making when it comes to this upcoming generation, they fail horribly at business. I mean, really really really suck at it. The rule should be simple: If the game can be put on the Wii U with relatively small expense, then put it on the damn thing. No sense pinching pennies when you've invested tens of millions into a game's development and perhaps more on its advertising.

Oddduck

I think Nintendo's thinking is "People will want the ports on Wii U because of the controller."

And I don't know how much this will help the ports sell. I don't know if the Wii U controller is enough to make ports sell.

Thanks for replying since i haven't followed the line of discussion you and ideaman were following.

What would be great is if the Ucon camera was high res enough for facial recognition. Imagine if the user could load profiles and settings by just pointing the camera to their face. This type of biometrics undoubtedly will land in the PS4 and Next Xbox.

That would be pretty cool. There's likely an interesting bevy of neat things you can do if you can detect facial features and expressions and such. One thing that I want is to have a re-do of the giant Mario face from Mario 64, but instead of pulling around his features, he mimics the orientation of your face and your expressions. That way, you get an amusing "Mario mirror" to play around with before getting into the actual game that follows. :)

Akai

I think Nintendo's thinking is "People will want the ports on Wii U because of the controller."

And I don't know how much this will help the ports sell. I don't know if the Wii U controller is enough to make ports sell.

No, their thinking is "If we get third party ports, then the only difference between the consoles is first party software, which we have already won."

Linkhero1

that's what I keep saying, if all they have is ports and 1 first party game then I don't think I'll be joining in at launch. I require at least 2 good ones plus some of the 3rd party games I want, not only that but a commitment by nintendo for more first party games in the launch window itself and beyond.

Same. They need to really convince me to buy another one of their consoles around launch window. Wii had an alright launch window but I was still disappointed. Don't even get my started on the 3DS.

I hope that's not all they're thinking. I am hoping they moneyhat or team up with third parties for a few exclusive games. I want to see this happen this gen.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
If they use the Wii as the basis for decision-making when it comes to this upcoming generation, they fail horribly at business. I mean, really really really suck at it. The rule should be simple: If the game can be put on the Wii U with relatively small expense, then put it on the damn thing. No sense pinching pennies when you've invested tens of millions into a game's development and perhaps more on its advertising.
Console game publishers failing horribly at business? Surely not!

With luck we will be seeing ports of nearly every major upcoming multiplatform game announced at E3. Despite some bad early signs, it's premature to write this possibility off while everything is still under NDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom