• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigiv

i know the wiimote works on pc/mac, but did anyone actually managed to emulate a 3DS <--> 3DS connection or a DS <--> Wii connection?
Well not those connections specifically, but Demo Station <--> DS was done. The problem is, it's a complete and utter pain in the ass to set up.

MDX

He was super excited about that when he posted it, and we were talking about it just before he posted it on the site. It came from an actual dev, but that's about as much as I can say about the source, other than what I've already said.

But that same source has also commented on Epic's comments from yesterday too

So how ever you wish to take the info, with or without salt... or perhaps not at all, E3 should be really good this year. One that I'm sure I will never forget at least.

Does this have anything to do with that developer in Santa Monica showing a game
to journalists?

And, if its true that Nintendo tweaked the WiiU to run UE4, given what we think we know about the console, what did Nintendo tweak?

He was super excited about that when he posted it, and we were talking about it just before he posted it on the site. It came from an actual dev, but that's about as much as I can say about the source, other than what I've already said.

But that same source has also commented on Epic's comments from yesterday too

So how ever you wish to take the info, with or without salt... or perhaps not at all, E3 should be really good this year. One that I'm sure I will never forget at least.

He just said only that regarding Epic statment???

EVH

The amount of crap comments in this thread is so big that learning about the real news or rumors is almost impossible.

And yeah, maybe this is another crap comment, but fuck, guys, calm down.

BY2K

Membero Americo
E3 for Nintendo could either be really good or really bad. They MUST nail the Wii U re-reveal, or it's just gonna be another ride identical to last year's.

That and show that they were serious about fixing the third-party on 3DS situation.

And Zelda 3DS.

BurntPork

Banned
Would be interesting to see what his 'source' is. Nothing I've heard about Epic's engines and the Wii U imply this, including the reputed v4 -> v5 (or v3 -> v4, whatever it was) 'significant' performance boost.

Based on your previous comments about Wii U, I had thought you knew no more than us about it...

Anyway, the issue is that Epic probably won't start selling UE4 licenses until next year, so it's unlikely that many people outside of Epic and Nintendo would know this for sure.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
In other words, I should probably trust your thoughts that it's only a slight bump over current gen?

That I don't know, and do not have enough information to make accurate claims about the hardware. I honestly don't think it will be a 'slight bump' over the current generation, but I'm not sure what part of that is legitimate guessing and which part is me being hopefully.

Or, to put it simply, I do not know the Wii U's specs, nor relative to this generation what kind of performance across the board we can expect.

I just know a few things about some benchmarks as well as some engines, eg's Epics. Nothing concrete, just bits and pieces. One thing to remember with UE4 is that it's not a finished engine. It's not like UE3 where Epic has a finished engine to get working on new hardware. UE4 is still a work in progress itself.

Well, is it possible that IdeaMan was right about v5 kits being out and that those added the features it needs to run UE4?

Caught you pre edit :p. And yes, maybe? It's possible I guess. I don't know. Honestly don't. And even if they did, I don't know what those 'features' would be to get UE4 running, as I don't know what the requirements would be.

So rather than contend the idea that kits came out with UE4 equivalent updates, I was moreso surprised that such a thing had been approved and leaked through sources. Epic has kept a pretty tight lid on UE4, and the engine isn't finished, so I'm surprised we're at a stage where Nintendo can make a change to specifically accommodate UE4, and for that to leak.

BurntPork

Banned
That I don't know, and do not have enough information to make accurate claims about the hardware. I honestly don't think it will be a 'slight bump' over the current generation, but I'm not sure what part of that is legitimate guessing and which part is me being hopefully.

Or, to put it simply, I do not know the Wii U's specs, nor relative to this generation what kind of performance across the board we can expect.

I just know a few things about some benchmarks as well as some engines, eg's Epics. Nothing concrete, just bits and pieces. One thing to remember with UE4 is that it's not a finished engine. It's not like UE3 where Epic has a finished engine to get working on new hardware. UE4 is still a work in progress itself.

Yeah, I thought about and realized that you wouldn't be speculating so much if you could really answer that, so I edited my post. You're too fast. XP So, can you answer the edit?

Edit: SLOW DOWN SIR

Caught you pre edit :p. And yes, maybe? It's possible I guess. I don't know. Honestly don't. And even if they did, I don't know what those 'features' would be to get UE4 running, as I don't know what the requirements would be.

So rather than contend the idea that kits came out with UE4 equivalent updates, I was moreso surprised that such a thing had been approved and leaked through sources. Epic has kept a pretty tight lid on UE4, and the engine isn't finished, so I'm surprised we're at a stage where Nintendo can make a change to specifically accommodate UE4, and for that to leak.
Yeah, I agree that this would not be known outside of Epic and Nintendo.

All the more reason that Nintendo would be trying, right now, to compromise with Epic to get UE4 on the Wii U.
We know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they want third party developers to be as happy as possible (within reason) making games for the system.
And we've been told that they are, themselves, optimizing middle ware and their hardware to make this happen.

UE3 was the biggest graphics middle ware around last gen. They'll strike at UE4. No question.

Whether they get it working or not, is another thing, but they aren't ignoring it.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They can't change and tweak the hardware to please third-parties TOO much, though, or the console will end up costing too much.

HylianTom

Banned
This post makes me kinda sad for gaming as a medium. A plethora of fun titles are just going to be left to be forgotten.

With cinema, there's a very concerted effort to put all the old titles on the new hardware (VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, digital). But with games, because of the constant refreshes of hardware and different interface requirements needed to play certain games, we're never going to get this.

Imagine if all of Nintendo's DS/3DS games are lost to time because they give up the dual screen format in 10 years.

(good mornin')
Reaching back a page or two, but this post struck me pretty well (and depresses me somewhat). I tend to buy more than one sealed copy of games that I really, truly love for this exact reason. Gotta preserve them (along with backup hardware) for as long as possible. The idea of losing some of these gems to laziness or industry patterns is a terrible one.

Not expecting UE4 on Wii U. Would be pleasently surprised if it was though.

UE4 on the Wii U shouldn't be all that far fetched, actually.
The system will be using modern hardware, even if it doesn't match the PS4/Durango GHz for GHz.
Much like the iPhone can run UE3.

VAPitts

This isn't really surprising, though it doesn't mean that it will run even UE4 game flawlessly, it does have a modern GPU, so it should be able to do everything UE4 would ask of it. I would figure that it is in the testing stages right now anyways.

u know who u remind me of, Reid from criminal minds. Either you give a long-winded explaination to something or an over-analyzation lol.

neoanarch

gah. I know its been said before but I wish this thread would stop being bumped with no new speculation/rumours. Every time I see it it crushes my soul.

Freezie said:
This post makes me kinda sad for gaming as a medium. A plethora of fun titles are just going to be left to be forgotten.

With cinema, there's a very concerted effort to put all the old titles on the new hardware (VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, digital). But with games, because of the constant refreshes of hardware and different interface requirements needed to play certain games, we're never going to get this.

Imagine if all of Nintendo's DS/3DS games are lost to time because they give up the dual screen format in 10 years.
HylianTom said:
(good mornin')
Reaching back a page or two, but this post struck me pretty well (and depresses me somewhat). I tend to buy more than one sealed copy of games that I really, truly love for this exact reason. Gotta preserve them (along with backup hardware) for as long as possible. The idea of losing some of these gems to laziness or industry patterns is a terrible one.
The comparison with movies is not a good one since games are more technology dependent and evolve in iterative ways. Some old games no matter how good they were, doesn't warrant the time to play again because they become obsolete and substituted by improved software. Im not saying this applies to everything, just that is not in the same plane as movies.

Does anyone knows if Kuju entertainment is still around? A new Battalion Wars will be a sure bet for the WiiU early in its life cycle.

orioto

Good Art™
gah. I know its been said before but I wish this thread would stop being bumped with no new speculation/rumours. Every time I see it it crushes my soul.

It's not like it desapears then suddenly appears! It's basically full time on top of the first page anyway!

UE4 on the Wii U shouldn't be all that far fetched, actually.
The system will be using modern hardware, even if it doesn't match the PS4/Durango GHz for GHz.
Much like the iPhone can run UE3.

UE4 seems like it's going to be aimed at hardware that's significantly more powerful than the PS3 and 360. The Samaritan demo looks a lot better than anything that can run on the PS3 or 360, but that's UE3. Rein, even though he's obviously hyping it, has already said that UE4 blows that demo away.

tkscz

UE4 seems like it's going to be aimed at hardware that's significantly more powerful than the PS3 and 360. The Samaritan demo looks a lot better than anything that can run on the PS3 or 360, but that's UE3. Rein, even though he's obviously hyping it, has already said that UE4 blows that demo away.

Well why can't the WiiU run Samaritan? Honestly, Samaritan gets way more hype than it should. Everything that made it special, was done by Crytek on lesser hardware. The CryEngine 3.4 has everything Samaritan has, and the SDK for it requires a shit ton less power to run it all.

Don't know why Samaritan gets so much press as a demo. It's feature set is collection of effects available in other currently game engines and development kits. Difference being they have custom in house names for the stuff. It is a carefully developed real time polygon demo, wouldn't dare to take that away from it take. The only good cool use one could get out of it if its released as a benchmark for PC some time down the line.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are we really at the stage that we're discrediting Samaritan?

Seriously?

japtor

You know what... I was about to hate on the suggestion that Monster Games work on F-Zero, but I just watched a video for ExciteBots and I forgot how much freaking fun that game was. Easily one of my favorite games for the Wii and a severely underrated game. Doing a "Butterfly rescue" while playing a racing game is just insane.

Excite Truck was very good too. I got it with my Wii, and for the first couple of days actually played it more than Zelda TP. :p
Excite Bike World Rally was pretty good too.
Er, I don't think he was suggesting Nintendo support homebrew officially. No one does that.
Amazing things can be done with JavaScript! (I'm hoping the ES OS stuff gets put in but I'd be surprised)
Here's the thing with that:
And seriously people, don't worry about UE4. It's going to be scalable. Epic won't make a penny out of it otherwise.
Targeting only the high end, well it's not suicide but it's risky. And there's this:
http://www.develop-online.net/news/38974/Unreal-Engine-4-will-support-indies-sooner
“I’m not sure if we’re going to do it straight away with Unreal Engine 4, but if you look at what we do now with UE3 – y’know, push a button and your game is built for mobiles – we could have done that before and we didn’t spend much time on it. How much that will figure into Unreal Engine 4 is up to us.”
Capps said he wants Unreal Engine 4 to have a “vertical solution” – to be useful for both mobile and triple-A projects.
“In the past few years I think we’ve learned a lot about our technology and how it works for indie studios. How our tech works for iPhone games, for high-end triple-A studios and for a couple of guys who make a cool UDK game over the summer,” he added.
“We’re going to apply all these lessons we’ve learned with Unreal Engine 4, and I think you’re going to see a lot of difference with UE3 within the first six months from launch.”
Also re: GTA V, the best possible meltdown scenario is if it's Wii U exclusive until the other new systems come out just cause they need the extra RAM.

BurntPork

Banned
Yes, the UE4 demo they show will look better than Samaritan. However, that says nothing about what the engine can run on. Epic isn't going to risk leaving money on the table, so you can bet your ass that it'll be scalable to some degree. I doubt that it requires more power than Samaritan does.

Nibel

Hey guys, missed me?

Tpscu.gif

Great to have you back! I will PM you later about the press conference thread that you are preparing. :)

BurntPork

Banned
Are we really at the stage that we're discrediting Samaritan?

Seriously?
To be fair, the art direction they chose is so similar to current games that the "wow" factor isn't as strong as what we've seen from next-gen demos during past generations. It's impressive on a technical level, but to someone who doesn't know or care much about that it isn't mind-blowing.

orioto

Good Art™
To be fair, the art direction they chose is so similar to current games that the "wow" factor isn't as strong as what we've seen from next-gen demos during past generations. It's impressive on a technical level, but to someone who doesn't know or care much about that it isn't mind-blowing.

This and i wasn't really impressed by it cause it showcases really specific features, like full reflection, bokeh dof, the type of thing that is just there to show the tech... I would be more impressed with a coherent and realistic environment.

japtor

In general I've considered that the biggest hurdle for the next Xbox and Playstation, and Wii U to an extent as well, which is where the Nintendo exclusivity helps (other stuff may be PS3/360 ports, but for Nintendo stuff it'll be a huge noticeable improvement). That's why I'm fairly hopeful for the Wii U's prospects against stronger hardware (...as long as it's decent enough for ports), a lot of people probably won't notice the difference.

japtor

Doubt it. Job listing posted in that thread explains it, plus they wouldn't delay to just to port it to Wii U.
Well you could get creative with it just to mess with everyone, like so:
Interfacing with Microsoft, Sony, and other providers about platform-specific services
"What other platform providers?!"
Deep understanding of strategies for data replication and bandwidth/latency optimization
"OMG FOR WII U SCREENS?"
Excellent interpersonal skills, desire to mentor other engineers, and ability to adapt to rapidly-changing requirements
"New requirement: Wii U version!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom