• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Put me down for Mach Rider, Startropics, and Nazo no Murasame Jō.

And everyone tell as many people as possible to NOT buy FFIV for PC.
I wonder if Nintendo has any clue whatsoever about the small number of folks online who would love the resurrection of any of these IPs..

Same here. I'd be quite happy to see a handful of MMOs for the U, as it would increase the system's appeal (as well as point to a system that's capable of such things).. but I have no desire to play one.

I don't know, there are a giant slew of MMO ideas that have yet to pop up but might be pretty compelling. Like Massively Multiplayer Online Populous.

CYNIC TIME

all they would have to do to impress me is show a Zelda game that looks exactly like the Wii U tech demo, only announce that it is being fleshed out into a real game. anything extra is just icing on the cake of Zelda.

do this and I will give you $$$ all my money Nintendo!

Oh no.. I can understand why they port DQX, but nobody wants to play that clusterfuck FF14!

Along with XIII, it destroyed the FF franchise this generation; yeah, the Wii U controller is actually perfect for MMOs, but this one? Hell no

I think the chances of us seeing one or two successful ones are fairly high. It just needs to be a QUALITY product, not this.

Nibel

I wonder if Nintendo has any clue whatsoever about the small number of folks online who would love the resurrection of any of these IPs..

They should release a "Nintendo's Lost Gems" collection for Wii U eShop with all their niche titles at a good price and be able to trackdown which of those games have been played the most. This should give them a good picture.

Or even better: release those titles seperately and watch how they sell!

Honestly, I think SWTOR would be a great fit on the Wii U.
I'd resub for sure.

I seriously wonder how much longer that thing has to live.

They appear to have realized that content creation for that MMORPG in particular is way more expensive and time-consuming than they expected.

Though porting that to consoles might help.

antonz

I think the real question is... would Nintendo allow cross platform play with competitors.

That is an interesting question and one that determines if MMOs ever exist on the platform. I would imagine if SE is considering it that Nintendo has said they would be open to it

Wasn't there an MMO dev that said they wouldn't be bringing their game to consoles because the platform holders wouldn't allow cross-platform play?

They wouldn't have to throw a huge budget behind them and maybe selling 100k or so would do them well at the same time.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How did FFXI 360 work? 360-only servers?

MS allowed it as an initial exception because they wanted to gain favor with Square Enix in the beginning of the generation. Policy has since changed, which is why the vast majority of MMOs scheduled for the 360 have been cancelled.

That is an interesting question and one that determines if MMOs ever exist on the platform. I would imagine if SE is considering it that Nintendo has said they would be open to it

You have to figure if it's asked for, it can be delivered. MMOs won't be hosted on Nintendo's servers and it's just TCP/IP that it communicates over.

antonz

It could be pretty successful for SE and Nintendo if Nintendo played nice. Do a good job with tablet stuff and likely steal away alot of potential players of the PS3 version

StevieP

Banned
Deep down I think GTA5 trailer looked too good for the current consoles, but I still have to hold back from hyping a Wii U version.

PC version in the trailer

....so....will nintendo region lock wii u?

Not only region lock, but lock games to your account like the rest of next gen :p

They can't give away FF4?

I would gladly take a free sealed copy of FF4!

Whoa. Guek eats six months? What did he pull?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473247&page=7
Start reading on that page... And 6 months? Seriously?

I really can't see it happening.

Why not? Remember, Wii U online:
220px-Wild_wild_west_poster.jpg

Terrell

FFXIV, huh? Hmmm.....

I think it would be more insane for Sony if they made it underpowered. Their audience obviously values high quality graphics. They need to meet those expectations. It's how they go about meeting those expectations that will change (customized PC parts instead of built from ground up).

Even though Sony as a whole is in the shit, and the PS3 isn't number one in NA, Sony still see it as one of their best things going. They won't hesitate to pour their resources into the games division. They certainly won't just mail it in and let Nintendo and MS take the low and high-end markets respectively.

Also remember that Sony engineer's outline for the future of Playstation. They're looking at a system which will see its life extended via peripherals (everything from haptics, to vitality sensors, to the ultimate dream of VR glasses). Another 10 year plan, if you will.

Next gen is shaping up to be interesting, indeed.

If I know Sony, they'll shoot for the moon, even with off-shelf parts, and accidentally bottleneck the bejeezus out of their console, like they have with every console since the PS1.

What do you think Shane means here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-205-invisible-walls/729443

I know it's 2 episodes late, but at 13:05 he says that the launch lineup for Wii U is going to surprise some people. What could it be?

Before he says this they were talking about Japanese developers being quite so far about Wii U, so possibly some Japanese developed games?

Yeah, the way the discussion was directed, Shane knows about the West's offerings and thinks it's awesome, but as the other commenter mentioned, Japan is more than willing to wait for Nintendo and only disclose info to the Japanese gaming press, which aren't as known for leaks as our gaming press are (likely because Nintendo has them on NDAs, as well)

We're going to look back and laugh. It will be nice to see who was right on the money with their predictions.

Well, with FFXIV possibly hitting WiiU, my prediction as far back as last year of FFVersusXIII being ported gets closer and closer to being right on the money.

I want a major megaton 3rd party exclusive announced at E3 for Wii U.

Just to see Nintendo haters cry a little would make this E3 feel perfect.
As soon as you hear the words "3rd-party exclusive", you know Nintendo has won, simply by making a system that bucks the multi-platform trend and can secure system-selling content without internal resources.

The problem here is 3DS needs accounts instead of FCs, with Wii U it may be fine (since it's rumored to have accounts).

It'll still use a friend code, dude. And there's nothing wrong with that. At all.

Instro

Ah, figured it was that thread. Things were heating up fast last I read it.

And as for the six months figure, I got that from here. I have no clue whether it's accurate or even legitimate.

No, that site is all fake information. Although its possible he did that himself.

snesfreak

Banned
Not really, I added my bans...
Though I'd rather you not look at it.
edit: Actually andrex if you see this could you remove my bans from there?

Nibel

Pre-E3 madness did this to guek.. :/

I don't care much for MMOs, but I wonder how the Wii U version of DQX will look like. Will this be released at launch in Japan?

Linkhero1

Well, with FFXIV possibly hitting WiiU, my prediction as far back as last year of FFVersusXIII being ported gets closer and closer to being right on the money.

Something that has become a parody of Duke Nukem might not have a chance of hitting the Wii U. Maybe the next Nintendo console, after the Wii U. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom