• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has seemed a bit shakey as of late.. and for little apparent reason. Makes me a bit concerned.

We have two excellent temporary alternatives if GAF goes down: Vandal.net and Cabbie's thing.

If the mods don't complain, I think we should post a "just in case" link to Cabbie's from the N-Conf thread start post, so when things explode, we can take the ongoing conversation there then come back when things are better.

Donnie

Didn't think about that (I forget XDR2 is faster than GDDR5). Still, I don't remember the Wii having three separate RAM. But I could be wrong.

Wii has 64MB of external GDDR3 main memory, 24MB internal 1T-Sram integrated into the system LSI and 3MB of 1T-Sram embedded with the GPU.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Because ShockingAlberto is considered to be somebody with actual contacts in the industry.

#5818: Square-Enix apparently showing intent to port Final Fantasy XIV (bringing up the confirmed+rumoured Wii U MMO count to three)

what is the third one? FF, DQ and?

HylianTom

Banned
We have two excellent temporary alternatives if GAF goes down: Vandal.net and Cabbie's thing.

If the mods don't complain, I think we should post a "just in case" link to Cabbie's from the N-Conf thread start post, so when things explode, we can take the ongoing conversation there then come back when things are better.
Agree, and I can't think of any rules it'd break..

Agree, and I can't think of any rules it'd break..

Except the Mod Discretion rule, because it can be taken as a threat to steal traffic from the website. That's why it has to be strongly clarified that it's meant as a temporary stop gap.

Also an invasion of Spain, if need be.

I haven't commented on it yet, but I that MagiTact video is pretty damned cool, I must say.

Ye gods, Sony's total operating income for their Networked Products & Services and Consumer Products & Services division since the PS3 launch look to be almost at the negative eight billion dollar mark (my numbers don't account for inflation over time, so there's some reality drift here, mind you).

I recall that the latest word was that they found a pretty decent way of getting high performance at an acceptable cost for the PlayStation 4. Now that they've unleashed a slew of into, does anybody have a clearer idea of what's going on with those plans?

Discomurf

ladies and gentlemen, we have sticks...

jSbkPLhrjPjXf.jpg

edit: also has the back changed?

Some more detail about the updated back triggers from the patent document page 11:

54L are provided on diagonally-upwardly-facing surfaces of the leg portions 59A and 59B and have diagonally-upwardly-facing button surfaces.

With the provision of leg portions on the back surface of the housing, it is easier for the user to hold the housing, and with the provision of buttons on the leg portions, it is easier to operate the housing while holding the housing (50).

Sounds to me like it was updated.

-

Some more detail about the updated back triggers from the patent document page 11:

54L are provided on diagonally-upwardly-facing surfaces of the leg portions 59A and 59B and have diagonally-upwardly-facing button surfaces.

With the provision of leg portions on the back surface of the housing, it is easier for the user to hold the housing, and with the provision of buttons on the leg portions, it is easier to operate the housing while holding the housing (50).

Sounds to me like it was updated.

-

...ohhhh! I thought those were just weirdly shaped (and possibly analog) triggers.

edit: Now that i'm looking at it from a more correct perspective, they look more like digital buttons to me.

HylianTom

Banned
Except the Mod Discretion rule, because it can be taken as a threat to steal traffic from the website. That's why it has to be strongly clarified that it's meant as a temporary stop gap.

Also an invasion of Spain, if need be.
Ahhh.. completely forgot!
(Good thing is, we wouldn't be stealing traffic if the site here is inaccessible, hehe..)
Either way, clarification might be wise.. EC, are you around?

And if we invade Spain, I vote that we make Barcelona our HQ city.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Let me get back to you on that one.

aeroslash

Ahhh.. completely forgot!
(Good thing is, we wouldn't be stealing traffic if the site here is inaccessible, hehe..)
Either way, clarification might be wise.. EC, are you around?

And if we invade Spain, I vote that we make Barcelona our HQ city.

yes please, and I'm your ambassador and i will teach catalan to all of you.

StevieP

Banned
The ridge right along the back of the controller is gone. Also, I think it probably features triggers now.
I must say though, the distance between the sticks and the D-pad and face buttons is very worrying, and I hope to god it won't be so large on the actual controller.

I must say, Discomurf is doing an awesome job digging up all these patents.

I wonder if those reports of the controller shrinking by an inch or 2 are accurate at all...

What would a magnetometer allow developers to do?

Can't the magnometer also be used to automatically calibrate the gyroscope, hence eliminating the drift seen in games like SS?

^
Yup, that.

I'm also going to make a guess at the RAM:
RAM: 1 GB XDR2 (Nintendo loves their fast RAM)
VRAM: 1 GB GDDR5
eDRAM: 32MB.

Err... XDR2 exists only on paper at the moment and I don't think you'll see it materialize because it hasn't since 2005. Aside from the EDRAM guess, I would suggest looking more in the direction of DDR3 for the rest.

In regards of where to go if GAF goes down, why not do what a lot of other threads do during big events and just have an IRC chat (or any chat) running during it.

HylianTom

Banned
Those new sticks look like a combination beween anolog pads and analog sticks.
When the clicky news came out at the start of this thread, I took note that Nintendo likes to puts its own Nintendoey flavor on its controllers, and I'm wondering how such a design change would affect things.

I didn't try the Wii remote before buying it, but something tells me I'll want to try this controller when demo stations start becoming available.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Those new sticks look like a combination between analog pads and analog sticks.
It looks like a large slide pad to me. But I wanna say that we've seen those images before in one of the earlier speculation threads... with the exact same speculation as now.

Shiggy

jSbkPLhrjPjXf.jpg

Those new sticks look like a combination beween anolog pads and analog sticks.

That looks like a very early version where they didn't care much about ergonomics and everything. The same thing happened with the Wii Remote in patents, they also showed a very early prototype in patents.

And then again, we already knew that earlier Wii U pad versions features analog sticks indeed.

Edit: Disorientator is right.

ReyVGM

So we're back at the "IdeaMan is a fraud" stage? Ugh. Can we make a separate thread for that so it stops coming up every few hours? I mean, it's not like he's given any groundbreaking info anyway.

IdeaMan is suffering from the Cassandra's Syndrome.

Oh god don't remind me. I try to play the 3DS in dim-lights so I can't see the horribleness that is my 3DS top screen.

I bought my 3DS last June (day before OoT's release) and it only took about a month for the initial grease lines to start showing up. Fortunately I found the thread here and tore off a couple of feet from my old red ringed 360 and that fixed the problem for several months.

Apparently though the nubs I put on must have worn down or depressed because they started showing up AGAIN, so I tore off the remaining two 360 feet I had but they didn't work at all this time, maybe they were too thin, dunno. So since this fall/winter I've been forced to sandwich the plastic/styrofoam pack in layer in between the screens (I've read too many issues with the Hori protectors having their own lines and color distortion).

My 3DS looks like it's wearing a diaper when it sits in its cradle but at least I caught it in time and never got any permanent scratches. I may try to find some thicker nubs/stoppers but can you even buy something similar to 360 feet in a store?

Yeah I believe this is an "older" design which can also be found in previous patents, but who knows if this (or some features - e.g analog stick) is closer to the final one or not? (that "clickable sticks" confirmation perplexed things even more)

Could the following 2 designs (Filed: 05/12/2011 - Published: 14/02/2012) be more representative of how the Upad evolved? (Sorry about the size - couldn't decide how to post this)

(click image for a 6MB, 4000x10000 version)

The button/port placement as well as the more "detailed" schematics give the impression that the RIGHT design is more close to the final one.

(source: OHIM - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Looking at this makes me seriously wonder, honestly. With the design shown off at E3 2011, the more I think about it, the more I wonder how the hell my right thumb would be able to reach the buttons when it's directly beneath the stick.

Controllers like the Dual Shock, the 360 pad, the GC pad or the Classic Controller all offset the second stick/buttons a bit, so that the natural arc your thumb would twist around in when holding the controller in question would cover both in as comfortable a fashion as possible. The only way I can see myself easily moving from one set to the other on the Wii U controller, as it was shown, is physically sliding my hand up and down (which is how I have to switch between analog/digital on my 3DS, as it is), which isn't generally a comfortable thing to do rapidly in the middle of a game.

Yet, apparently an older design of the controller (the one on the left?) has the offset that the E3 2011 controller is missing. Why did they opt away from that...?

Looking at this makes me seriously wonder, honestly. With the design shown off at E3 2011, the more I think about it, the more I wonder how the hell my right thumb would be able to reach the buttons when it's directly beneath the stick.

Controllers like the Dual Shock, the 360 pad, the GC pad or the Classic Controller all offset the second stick/buttons a bit, so that the natural arc your thumb would twist around in when holding the controller in question would cover both in as comfortable a fashion as possible. The only way I can see myself easily moving from one set to the other on the Wii U controller, as it was shown, is physically sliding my hand up and down (which is how I have to switch between analog/digital on my 3DS, as it is), which isn't generally a comfortable thing to do rapidly in the middle of a game.

Yet, apparently an older design of the controller (the one on the left?) has the offset that the E3 2011 controller is missing. Why did they opt away from that...?

Sounds like a valid concern bro.

Haven't noticed/Didn't think about it

Edit: Looking again at those designs, maybe they felt the controller could/should get a bit smaller, but they couldn't move the buttons closer to the screen. If you notice in both designs the distance between the screen edge and the buttons is the same.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kinda hope they keep the slide pads. They look cool and all hands on reports have expressed satisfaction w/ their control.

Also, a point was made previously about how it is easier to grip the flat DRC with slide pads. The more the pads/stick protrude, theoretically the less leverage you've got on the thing.

I keep thinking that the "click" will come from inside the actual rubber pad. If so, holding down the pad to run would be much more tolerable than tilting a stick and pressing it in at the same time. It's that tilt which makes "clicky sticks" so awkward.

Mlatador

Banned
So if the U Pad has a magnetometer, is it save to assume that the Stylus will be magnetic, so that you can use the U Pad's touch-screen functions without actaully thouching that thing.

If it's true, how likely is it that Nintendo will announce another WII MUSIC then?

I hope not.

So if the U Pad has a magnetometer, is it save to assume that the Stylus will be magnetic, so that you can use the U Pad's touch-screen functions without actaully thouching that thing.

If it's true, how likely is it that Nintendo will announce another WII MUSIC then?

I hope not.

The pad has ram and a CPU, magentics anywhere near it is a bad idea..

I hope not.

iPhone/Pad has a magnetometer, its point is to improve AR and GPS navigation - the system knows which direction (north, south, east, west) it is pointing. That's not nearly as useful in a controller tethered to its console as a device you take out of your house.

I would kill for a Wii Music with a decent music playlist, the last game was great, its music selection, not-so-much. This video shows what Wii Music is really about, it's not just a super easy rhythm game, it's about playing music the way you want, basically remixing the music in any style you want.

I'm going to wait around until E3, until I pass judgement on Ideaman. Either he is vindicated or proven to be a very successful troll. :p

Can't say anything, but innocent until proven guilty. :)

I haven't had the chance to pour over that patent link but all of those pictures everyone is posting look really familiar and really old. Have I missed something?

Not really, there's a new patent regarding the golf demo which was filed last year and published today. It's odd that they use that prototype of the DRC in the patent as an exemplary "embodiment," but the patent itself does not concern the controller.

Nibel

When did this whole "We can't trust IdeaMan" thing start ? Was there any particular reason or is it just cautiousness ? Because from what I remember lherre and bg didn't seem to have any issues with his information/leaks, did they ?

Let's just stop talking about it; it just adds fuel to the fire. Most people relevant to this thread said their opinion about him already, some positive, some negative - no need to discuss this any further in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom