• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
I think it was "400 gf + whatever extra oomph the 'dedicated stuff' nets" previously

I just want it over 720GFLOPs, 3x360 because, well... Principle. Also with fixed functionality, that would give it a pretty long life, I figure that they will be releasing a new console in 6 years, but that's 2018, and having something that could have been made in 2008 is actually pretty much where the Wii is now.

Donnie

So is everybody back to realizing that the WiiU really won't be all that powerful? At this point I'm having a hard time believing that it will be viable in the market after the PS4/720 take hold. At least E3 is a few weeks away.

Nope, I still expect WiiU to be around 3x 360 overall with PS4 being a bit more powerful and 720 a bit more powerful still. Basically I expect something like:

360------WiiU---PS4---720

Oddduck

Nope, I still expect WiiU to be around 3x 360 overall with PS4 being a bit more powerful and 720 a bit more powerful still. Basically I expect:

360---WiiU-PS4--720

Which is what I've thought would happen from the start.

I just feel like you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Although, I hope you're right.

Oh great I come back to the thread to catch up and Uncharted 3 becomes the new goal post for WiiU

Damn you guys gave up on WiiU so fast :|

Stop it Nintendo fans, just stop it SMH
What? From my experience, the Uncharted series looks phenomenal. I'd gladly have that.

Although ideally, at 1080p and 60FPS, because my PC has spoiled me.

Eh.. just more talk of the U being an underpowered "me-too" also-ran console in light of competition from the others. Nothing new under the sun (or moon).

I can see the validity on both/all sides. Just hoping that Nintendo has considered these realities and has made moves to address them. :)
What would have been an immensely cool experiment, in my opinion, fits this case perfectly. By case i mean some of the characteristics of WiiU, like releasing early in the generation cycle with somewhat underpowered specs and low tdp.

It would interesting to equip a console with such features with the ability to synchronize with other one for multi gpu rendering to enhance the game visuals. At launch a small base of users will have the chance to get even better visuals and at half life of the cycle thanks to price reductions that base could grow while the console doesn't age that rapidly in relation to the competition.

Im aware of the potential issues with this, specially in regards to the WiiU and it's subscreen controller but a very interesting thing to experiment with or at least consider.

Oddduck

I remember when some people would use Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay on Xbox 1 as the goal post for Wii launch games.

the-chronicles-of-riddick-escape-from-butcher-bay-20040512063341837_640w.jpg

Escape-from-Butcher-Bay_1.jpg

20080608_fd871849b4dd2799c760wQhwuiCsrjKZ.jpg

Instead, lazy third parties gave us Wii games like this:

FarCry_1--screenshot_large.jpg

I don't believe PS4 and Wii U will be that close.

There was a rumour a while back about Sony going for a less bleeding edge design due to their last two such efforts losing massive amounts of money.

Then again, I think there was a rumour after that about them making a beast machine.

And the somebody here said that Sony found a way to get quite high performance for an "acceptable price", something like that.

In short, *shrug*. The first of the three would probably be Sony's smartest move, while the middle option seems the most likely based on Sony.

Uncharted 3 looks way better than it actually plays - the goal should be UC2
I don't think the graphics had much to do with any failings in its gameplay. I kind of trust Nintendo (to an extent) to nail the latter part no matter what the graphics are - so I'd like graphics of Uncharted caliber to go with it.

But frankly, I've only ever played UC2, so...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Ok, give us your opinion then, how close will they all be in your opinion?

Actually, I take it back, looking at your original message. I would say pretty close to what you put, but I would take away one of the dashes between 360 and Wii U and put it between Wii U and PS4.

Oddduck

In what way?

I remember when Nintendo fans would constantly post pics of Chronicles of Riddick or Conker Live and Reloaded from Xbox 1, and say "Oh well..if Wii is 2x better than that, then I'll be more than pleased". Then Wii came out and majority of the games did NOT look 2 times better than the best looking xbox 1 games except for one or two games. Most Wii games didn't even look better than GameCube's best looking games (Rogue Squadron, Resident Evil 4, etc).

Expect 360/PS3 graphics, and don't overhype yourself about this 2x and 3x crap.
Throwing things around like 2x or 3x better will just lead to disappoinment.

If the console was 3x more powerful, some developer leak would have said so. But all leaks point the opposite direction whether its from people on Neogaf with inside knowledge or other websites.

BurntPork

Banned
So we're talking about this "Oban" again. Any new news on feature set?

Are you saying the slight downgrade in ALUs is to balance out the hardware? I remember hearing something like this as they made last minute changes to the GameCube before launch.

So third core for OS/Security measures? If so, that's following in the steps of the 3DS (a CPU dedicated to OS and stuff), and if like the 3DS, we could potentially see it freed later on as they optimize).
Only having two cores for games would explain the claims that the CPU is weaker than the 360's... The worst possible explanation that is.

Conor 419

Banned
Thing is, considering Ubisoft's pledging a lot of support to the system. Surely we'll get full, if not better versions of games like AC3 on the Wii U? Already that'd provide a way better launch than the Wii did.

First time I've checked this thread for about a week. To paraphrase the great man in my avatar:

"Never in the field of console gaming, has so much been written about so little by so few."

I've held off buying any downloadable titles for my Wii since I repurchased one in December pending news about Wii-Wii U transfers. I really want to buy some VC games though, so what do you recon guys, am I safe to go ahead?

Thing is, considering Ubisoft's pledging a lot of support to the system. Surely we'll get full, if not better versions of games like AC3 on the Wii U? Already that'd provide a way better launch than the Wii did.

Three games already known of(Assassin's Creed, Batman and Aliens) alone cover more third party ground in quality and message than the Wii's start for me.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Only having two cores for games would explain the claims that the CPU is weaker than the 360's... The worst possible explanation that is.
If the asymmetrical cache info is true, then most likely there's a core exclusively servicing the os, but said core is not dedicated to the os.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
First time I've checked this thread for about a week. To paraphrase the great man in my avatar:

"Never in the field of console gaming, has so much been written about so little by so few."

I've held off buying any downloadable titles for my Wii since I repurchased one in December pending news about Wii-Wii U transfers. I really want to buy some VC games though, so what do you recon guys, am I safe to go ahead?

They've done it with the DSi > 3DS. I'd be amazed if they didn't do it for Wii > Wii U.

This is a derail, i already addressed z0m313 giving the Project Gotham 3 example, which is a better representation of generational leap than Kameo or PD Zero were. But to humor you lunchwithyuzo.

10X Increase it's a rough estimate or ball park figure typically used in regards to the amount of general processing power that is more or less expected going from what cycle to the other. Is not like you pick a ruler that goes up to 10x and say this is this or that is x gen.

Both projects started life as GC games. Passed on to Xbox 1 and finally launched as Xbox 360 ones, so of course they shared some assets. Regarding the PSP vs 3DS scenario: Although Kameo and PD Zero weren't even close to tap the max capabilities of the console both games had substantial polygon counts much larger than all those Xbox titles you mentioned, were rendered in a higher resolution (not true HD though), had more complex shaders, featured effects and technical features not supported or doable under gaming conditions on the Xbox 1. And they used substantially higher memory budgets. So it wasn't just a case of one category that got boosted, like the more advanced shaders of your PSP vs 3DS example, since large improvements extended to many aspects of these games visuals. Reality is, you can't pile Kameo and PD Zero along ports like King Kong, Tony Hawk or Tiger Woods .
Again, polycounts and effects for the most part did not look a "generation beyond" Xbox 1, that's what is at issue. I'm not equating the Rare games to simple upports like King Kong, Tony Hawk or Tiger Woods, none of which I'd classify as top tier on Xbox anyway (indeed most were themselves PS2 ports).You'll find the same in something like DOA4, which has a far higher polycount than any Xbox fighter, despite looking only marginally better than DOAU.

Kameo's assets especially seemed Xbox level, the only time things clearly went beyond Xbox abilities were those brief moments of scale where they'd pan out or throw a ton of models onscreen. Perfect Dark's modeling looked comparable to something like Splinter Cell CT, which was also doing things like HDR and parallax mapping on Xbox.

And again, to draw the 3DS/PSP example, 3DS games not only get a boost in shaders/lighting, but polycounts are significantly higher (they'd have to be for double rendering to achieve 3D) and the memory budget is also a significant increase system wide (about 4x). You're not really drawing a great distinction here.

Donnie

I remember when Nintendo fans would constantly post pics of Chronicles of Riddick or Conker Live and Reloaded from Xbox 1, and say "Oh well..if Wii is 2x better than that, then I'll be more than pleased". Then Wii came out and majority of the games did NOT look 2 times better than the best looking xbox 1 games except for one or two games. Most Wii games didn't even look better than GameCube's best looking games (Rogue Squadron, Resident Evil 4, etc).

Expect 360/PS3 graphics, and don't overhype yourself about this 2x and 3x crap.
Throwing things around like 2x or 3x better will just lead to disappoinment.

I'm not referring to graphics, I'm talking about specs. Obviously 2x, 3x ect is never 100% accurate, its just a general guideline.

I have no idea who would say such a thing about Wii in comparison to XBox, I certainly didn't and wouldn't say something like that because it makes no sense at all and I don't think something like that has any baring on my post to be honest.

BurntPork

Banned
This theory could work, if not for the multiple reports of overheating dev kits. Some piece of the puzzle must be missing in this regard lol

Simple. The final clock would be a bit higher. So, instead of 600MHz, 650MHz.

Unless you're inplying that the clocks would have to go even lower due to the overheating, in which case you'd be forgetting that the RV770 is a 55nm part.

And they pledged strong support of the Wii, as well. Like that old saying goes: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, surely the launch fps is going to be great this time. Hype! HYYYYYPE!!!"

;)

tkscz

What are the chances of a 1080p AC3 on Wii U?

Depends, do they add better shaders/lighting/textures and use the screen alot? Or do they just port it as is (or make it worse somehow), rarely to never use the controller and call it a day.

If the latter, 1080p is a very good possibility.

Oddduck

As far as software goes, I think Wii U will have the best launch lineup in Nintendo history.

It seems like every possible genre could end up at launch.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
With all this hardware discussion I came to think of the Geoff Keighley interview with Reggie bound to happen. The interview last year was great I think, on various levels. Of course Reggie didn't provide any greater details about Wii U's hardware capabilities (apart from ticking of the HD box), but it was overall very informative. This year depending on what kind of graphical escapades we will see, I wonder if he will comment on the specs; perhaps not as elaborate as detailing clock frequencies, FLOPS and bandwidths but perhaps by talking about it in an Unreal Engine 4 context and what is expected in terms of portability from Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 (I doubt he will comment on Durango and Orbis, unless they are announced that is). Most likely he will dodge questions about this matter but perhaps if there is a certain title that really stands out in the graphics department he will boast a bit of what the Wii U is packing. Or maybe that unannounced feature IdeaMan wrote about will make the way we currently view graphics obsolete, who knows?

Here's the E3 2011 interview (part one) if you haven't seen it: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-nintendo/715144

Donnie

If the console was 3x more powerful, some developer leak would have said so. But all leaks point the opposite direction whether its from people on Neogaf with inside knowledge or other websites.

No, none of them say anything specific about the specifications of the system. Unless you have some links to post that I haven't seen.

Also I didn't say 3x more powerful, I said 3x as powerful.

Conor 419

Banned
yupp. Zelda was enclosed. AC3 is a full fledged title, kind of an open world one at that. Zelda wiiU likely won't be 1080p as well.

I don't understand why Reggie would constantly re-iterate that the '1080p box has been ticked' if the system was incapable of running launch titles in that resolution.

I'd say the two are interrelated considering it's the size of the case that will determine how big the fan can be. The rate of air movement will ultimately determine the amount of heat that can be dissipated from the system, and as you already know, the CFM rating (cubic feet of air per minute) of a particular fan size will depend on its rotational speed (fan size x RPM -> noise level).

:p

something something noise level of Nintendo fans and Reggie dressed up as a PikMin (RPM)
:D

LOL.

Fair point though the case could be Nintendo overcompensating for heat while keeping the fan's RPM lower to keep the noise down. I won't lie, I've always looked at the case while ignoring the fan till now and I believe the case itself could handle more than what some on B3D have suggested.

The GCN was pretty quiet, the Wii even more so, but Wii U also has a larger fan and a bigger power supply than Wii, inside a bigger box, I thought beyond3D whatever site it was believed that it could handle 120TDP, of course I agree that it could be just that, but they could probably fit innards you are speculating on inside the Wii's case, also not to insult you, but a thread or two ago you speculated at the Wii U having something below 400GFLOPs, so while I don't have any insider sources helping me make educated guesses, I do believe that your speculations change a bit too much for me to just take your word for it, also I pretty much hope you are wrong, because its very short sighted of Nintendo if true.

Nah. A decent amount on B3D have argued that it could handle like 50W total at best. And even then I think I'm being generous with that max.

I'd argue they haven't change at all.

tkscz

No, none of them say anything specific about the specifications of the system. Unless you have some links to post that I haven't seen.

He doesn't, he's also forgetting the positive dev leaks as well. Not sure why suddenly this thread became so negative, but it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom