• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
1000 posts in the last day, what...

Did something happen yesterday?

BurntPork

Banned
Oh my bad i misread the end of your post.
I was reacting to some people here seeming to be dead sure that the WiiU will be at least what they hope it to be, based on infos about the specs.

But we don't know how all that will be used in the end.

Yes this is what i'm reacting to :)

Bg knows stuff we don't.

Also, lherre basically confirmed that it's not weaker than current gen. (Though launch games may not show it.)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hah, of course not.

Also, love your avatar. <3 Joanna Newsom.
Ha, okay, well...shine on you crazy diamonds.

And thanks!

sfried

I remember when Nintendo fans would constantly post pics of Chronicles of Riddick or Conker Live and Reloaded from Xbox 1, and say "Oh well..if Wii is 2x better than that, then I'll be more than pleased". Then Wii came out and majority of the games did NOT look 2 times better than the best looking xbox 1 games except for one or two games. Most Wii games didn't even look better than GameCube's best looking games (Rogue Squadron, Resident Evil 4, etc).

Expect 360/PS3 graphics, and don't overhype yourself about this 2x and 3x crap.
Throwing things around like 2x or 3x better will just lead to disappoinment.

If the console was 3x more powerful, some developer leak would have said so. But all leaks point the opposite direction whether its from people on Neogaf with inside knowledge or other websites.
There are a couple of games that look just as good if not play at a better frame rate than Chronicles of Riddick. Metroid: Other M comes to mind.

AlStrong

Perfect Dark's modeling looked comparable to something like Splinter Cell CT, which was also doing things like HDR and parallax mapping on Xbox.

Not really... not at all. The polycounts of characters in SCCT were quite obviously very low in comparison. They clearly do not use HDR (FP16) or parallax mapping in the Xbox SKU. Those were PC enhancements that came with DX9.0c/ShaderModel 3.0 (they eventually supported SM2.0b for Radeons, but still DX9).

Donnie

I was reacting to some people here seeming to be dead sure that the WiiU will be at least what they hope it to be, based on infos about the specs.

Well personally I hope WiiU is a full generation ahead of 360, but that's extremely optimistic. However I am sure it'll be more power than either 360 or PS3, that's a very conservative informed opinion.

orioto

Good Art™
Bg knows stuff we don't.

Also, lherre basically confirmed that it's not weaker than current gen. (Though launch games may not show it.)

Hm yeah well we'll see.
At least for now the Zelda demo is exactly what i'm excepting. I know things has changed since then and it was done quickly.. but you know, if it's this level of 3D in the end, well.. it was there, and obvious for us to see :)

Haha. It's hard to call it optimistic based on what I know. And no, Wii U is not what I personally would want power-wise. It's well short.

BurntPork

Banned
Hm yeah well we'll see.
At least for now the Zelda demo is exactly what i'm excepting. I know things has changed since then and it was done quickly.. but you know, if it's this level of 3D in the end, well.. it was there, and obvious for us to see :)

You know that lherre is a developer with a dev kit, right? If he's saying it's more powerful, that's probably because it is.

NateDrake

Rösti;37865455 said:
According to a source, Nintendo will be adding a Wii U cloud storage feature for the new console sometime in 2013: http://wiiudaily.com/2012/05/ninten...d-storage-for-save-games-and-player-profiles/

Doesn't sound too farfetched, though with only a source source I don't know if I wanna believe it. Mozy's webpage if anyone wanna dig deeper: http://mozy.ie/

This part of the story leads to me to not believe it:
A source from within Mozy tells Wii U Daily that the company was approached by Nintendo in 2010, but that work on the service began in late 2012.

Began in late 2012? We are in May of 2012....yea.....

Don't let MY expectations of what I feel the minimum specs should be influence you. Wii U will be fine.

The only way I agree with this is if the WiiU has third party support for the duration of its existence. I'm trying not to be flighty and i'm waiting until E3 to really decide. That said, if the console doesn't have third party support, I don't even know what to think. I'd love to get rid of my ps3 and 360. Too much clutter right now.

Conor 419

Banned
By the way chums, even if the Wii U has a fantastic showing. Can we all agree to be outraged and pissed off, just so the launch price is cheaper?

Nah. Too many Nintendo games to miss out on.
yeah but I'll wait if I have to. If Nintendo doesn't seriously blow the launch and launch window out of the water, I have no qualms waiting a year as there are tons of PS3 games I can buy to pass the time.

And if I do end up waiting a year or more, who knows what Sony will do to possibly convince me to go with them at launch. I WILL get a wiiU eventually. It's up to nintendo when I get it.

orioto

Good Art™
You know that lherre is a developer with a dev kit, right? If he's saying it's more powerful, that's probably because it is.

We also heard lots of things about the 3ds before it came out.
And yes in the end, it's powerfull, but for reasons and features, it's not achieving that type of graphics people were excepting. That's just how Nintendo works i fear...

Now to counter my words, regarding the next consoles, i was also saying some time ago that i was certain there would be some kind of level of power that would just allow for a tricked next gen look. I was using Battlefield 3 as exemple for diminishing returns, or even The witcher 2. Take the PC version maxed out. Take the 360 version. Let's say it's a 10 and a 4. My idea was that it would just take a.. let's say, 6, to have something clean enough so people wouldn't see a big dif. I don't know if i'm clear. And i think for exemple, if one of the brand goes for a 6, when the other goes for an expensive house burning 10, the later will be loosing cause the higher cost won't be visible enough.

On that basis, i would have love Nintendo to go for that 6, but knowing them, and how they will use the resources they have to make lots of funny things to differentiate themselves, the console will end with a 6 for power, but a 5 for graphics, just a tad less than what it needed to be in the dudebro race again.

Now if BG knows things, ok, i would like to believe him.

I am not concerned about the power of the system. What I am concerned about is consistent big name third party support. I want that even more so than online.

For added context: Based on what you know, are the PS4 & 360 successor more inline with what you'd want power wise?

Yes. My ideal minimum for a next gen console GPU would have been something equivalent to a Barts Pro (6850). But I'm like others here. I can satisfy my power needs with a PC. I don't have to have a console do that for me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
By the way chums, even if the Wii U has a fantastic showing. Can we all agree to be outraged and pissed off, just so the launch price is cheaper?

Nintendo would be insane to gauge the price by internet reactions on gaming forums. They did the same with 3DS and look how that turned out.

no, as a mid-long term Nintendo fan, I am against that. That is shortsighted honestly, wanting things cheaper that what they are really worth

And yes in the end, it's powerfull, but for reasons and features, it's not achieving that type of graphics people were excepting. That's just how Nintendo works i fear...
3DS is 'way' more powerful than PSP, that's the least we may assume considering games such as RE:R

yeah but I'll wait if I have to. If Nintendo doesn't seriously blow the launch and launch window out of the water, I have no qualms waiting a year as there are tons of PS3 games I can buy to pass the time.

And if I do end up waiting a year or more, who knows what Sony will do to possibly convince me to go with them at launch. I WILL get a wiiU eventually. It's up to nintendo when I get it.

Exactly. If the WiiU ends up sucking major ass, I can easily wait until the thing is on it's last legs and get one dirt cheap.

MisterHero

Nintendo could list like 100 top-tier developers each with exclusives and I wouldn't be so excited after the 3DS launch. 1/4th of them would be cancelled, half of them would be medicore, and only 35% of them would deliver with a couple launch flaws.

I've learned my lesson. 1st Party or bust, 3rd parties are cherries on top. =[

The only way I agree with this is if the WiiU has third party support for the duration of its existence. I'm trying not to be flighty and i'm waiting until E3 to really decide. That said, if the console doesn't have third party support, I don't even know what to think. I'd love to get rid of my ps3 and 360. Too much clutter right now.

That's a fair concern to have. But IMO it's going to boil down to developer effort, not any possible hardware limits.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I am not going to encourage idiocy of Nintendo, so yes

Since we already know it will not be a graphical generational leap over current gen having a
fully integrated online system and OS is the biggest decider for me.

Of course there have to be enough games for me to justify the purchase.

Nintendo could list like 100 top-tier developers each with exclusives and I wouldn't be so excited after the 3DS launch. 1/4th of them would be cancelled, half of them would be medicore, and only 35% of them would deliver with a couple launch flaws.

I've learned my lesson. 1st Party or bust, 3rd parties are cherries on top. =[
what important 3DS game got cancelled?

Since we already know it will not be a graphical generational leap over current gen having a
fully integrated online system and OS is the biggest decider for me.

Of course there have to be enough games for me to justify the purchase.
I am pretty much in the same situation.

Not because features are really that important to me in themselves, but because otherwise it won't get 3rd party support once again.

Nibel

I will get one no matter what. I was very sceptical after I bought the 3DS at launch, but the games that came out late last year and this year's Kid Icarus showed me once again that Nintendo still has it.

Nintendawg 'til I die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom