• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntPork

Banned
We also heard lots of things about the 3ds before it came out.
And yes in the end, it's powerfull, but for reasons and features, it's not achieving that type of graphics people were excepting. That's just how Nintendo works i fear...

Now to counter my words, regarding the next consoles, i was also saying some time ago that i was certain there would be some kind of level of power that would just allow for a tricked next gen look. I was using Battlefield 3 as exemple for diminishing returns, or even The witcher 2. Take the PC version maxed out. Take the 360 version. Let's say it's a 10 and a 4. My idea was that it would just take a.. let's say, 6, to have something clean enough so people wouldn't see a big dif. I don't know if i'm clear. And i think for exemple, if one of the brand goes for a 6, when the other goes for an expensive house burning 10, the later will be loosing cause the higher cost won't be visible enough.

On that basis, i would have love Nintendo to go for that 6, but knowing them, and how they will use the resources they have to make lots of funny things to differentiate themselves, the console will end with a 6 for power, but a 5 for graphics, just a tad less than what it needed to be in the dudebro race again.

Now if BG knows things, ok, i would like to believe him.

The difference is that those "3DS=360" things were so obviously exaggerations for so many reasons that only a total dumbass would have believed it. lherre is actually trying to downplay the power most of the time. He hasn't said anything outrageous. What he said earlier was that he doesn't expect any launch games to match Uncharted 3, but he stressed the "at launch" part.

Wasn't I getting crucified just a few days ago for saying it would pretty much be like a 360? How the times have changed...

wat

Neiteio

Guys, guys, I don't believe in a sixth sense or ESP or such shit, but I closed my eyes earlier and felt this in my balls: Pokemon Snap. WiiU. Pokemon Snap. WiiU. Pokemon Snap. WiiU.

I whispered, "What do you mean, balls," and my balls replied, "It's like this: You got this lush island with tracks you follow in the Zero-One, but this time the tracks branch for alternate paths, and you can ramp up or slow down your speed, or even backtrack if you wish. There are numerous ecosystems, populated by hundreds of species from generations 1 through 5, but the selection you might see at any given time depends on the weather condition, the time of day, the season, even migration patterns, which you can track back at the lab. The lab is in a town where you can stock up on special supplies purchased with the points you accumulate for filling out the photo album, or pick up sidequests from the townsfolk. You can share your pictures online as well. But here's the WiiU kicker: While the TV screen also depicts the view from Zero-One as it travels along the track, you can hold up the Upad and aim it in any direction in real life and see in that direction on the viewfinder. So you can travel in one direction on the TV screen and see something flit across the tracks, and quickly spin with the Upad to continue tracking it as it moves to the left or right. You can adjust the TV view with analog sliders, to better scope out a given direction, but taking photos is done strictly with the Upad's viewfinder."

"How visceral!" I whispered back to my balls, rubbing them gingerly.

"Yeah, I know," my balls replied. "Now stop touching me or I might get... testy."

Jaagen

yeah but I'll wait if I have to. If Nintendo doesn't seriously blow the launch and launch window out of the water, I have no qualms waiting a year as there are tons of PS3 games I can buy to pass the time.

And if I do end up waiting a year or more, who knows what Sony will do to possibly convince me to go with them at launch. I WILL get a wiiU eventually. It's up to nintendo when I get it.

I'll probably wait a year too, unless Retro comes out with something awesome at launch. Then I will be there day one(and if The Last Guardian somehow gets pushed as a launch title for the PS4, I will be there too)

I will get one no matter what. I was very sceptical after I bought the 3DS at launch, but the games that came out late last year and this year's Kid Icarus showed me once again that Nintendo still has it.

Nintendawg 'til I die
I really like Nintendo games, but I like other games too, and there are quite a lot of Nintendo games on Wii I still have to finish.

I will also probably get Wii U in the end, but I may become so busy with other games that in the end I decide to get the next Nintendo console which hopefully will be also compatible with Wii U; or a very cheap Wii U just to go through most important games

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Was it MotionSports Adrenaline or Your Shape that has been discussed for Wii U, I saw some mention of one of these games a few pages back. Anyway, and I haven't seen this posted before, Longtail Studios apparently has some project on the Wii U, as mentioned in the resumé of Atsuo Fujiwara:

Work Experience
2011 April – Present
Longtail Studios – Halifax, Canada
3D Animator
Up coming WiiU game UBISOFT
Motion Sports Adrenaline UBISOFT

Source: http://atsuofujiwara.com/wp-content/uploads/AtsuoFujiwara_Resume12.pdf

Also, Erik Marcisak who worked at Longtail Studios until February this year has also been involved in a Wii U project (or at least work connected to Wii U):

•Developed, wrote, and polished concept pitches for the Nintendo DS, Wii, iPhone, Xbox Kinect, PS3, and Wii U.

An "Unannounced Ubisoft Project (platform TBA)" is also mentioned, I wonder if it has any connection.

Source: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/erikmarcisak

Longtail Studios has developed MotionSports Adrenaline, Dance on Broadway, Gundead Defense, Best Friends Tonight, Imagine: Sweet 16, Grey's Anatomy: The Video Game, TNA Wrestling, Football U and a few others. If it's not an entirely new game they are developing I would say MotionSports Adrenaline or some Imagine game are likely.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Guys, guys, I don't believe in a sixth sense or ESP or such shit, but I closed my eyes earlier and felt this in my balls: Pokemon Snap. WiiU. Pokemon Snap. WiiU. Pokemon Snap. WiiU.

I whispered, "What do you mean, balls," and my balls replied, "It's like this: You got this lush island with tracks you follow in the Zero-One, but this time the tracks branch for alternate paths, and you can ramp up or slow your speed, or even backtrack if you wish. There are numerous ecosystems, populated by hundreds of species from generations 1 through 5, but the selection you might see at any given time depends on the weather condition, the time of day, the season, even migration patterns, which you can track back at the lab. The lab is in a town where you can stock up on special supplies purchased with the points you accumulate for filling out the photo album. And here's the WiiU kicker: While the TV screen also depicts the view from Zero-One as it travels along the track, you can hold up the Upad and aim it in any direction in real life and see in that direction on the viewfinder. So you can travel in one direction on the TV screen and see something flit across the tracks, and quickly spin with the Upad to continue tracking it as it moves to the left or right. You can adjust the TV view with analog sliders, to better scope out a given direction, but taking photos is done strictly with the Upad's viewfinder."

"How visceral!" I whispered back to my balls, rubbing them gingerly.

"Yeah, I know," my balls replied. "Now stop touching me or I might get... testy."

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417849

Stop making me believe in the possibility of things that will never happen. :(

Donnie

Wasn't I getting crucified just a few days ago for saying it would pretty much be like a 360? How the times have changed...

What's changed? That kind of claim is no less absurd now then it was a few days ago.

Nothings even been said about the power of the system in the last few days so you've really lost me here..

You get an F for omitting a key franchise that has been around since the SNES.
Ouch.

Ok...

zDOdI.png

Better this way?

I'll probably wait a year too, unless Retro comes out with something awesome at launch. Then I will be there day one(and if The Last Guardian somehow gets pushed as a launch title for the PS4, I will be there too)
hell I may even wait until the first Zelda comes out for WiiU to jump on, that is if nintendo doesn't seriously impress early on. That would be around 2014 I assume.

I don't say this to make Nintendo look bad because I'm sure the console will be good, and BG might even agree with this statement, but I seriously think the next consoles from MS/Sony are going to output some seriously VERY impressive games, especially in their later years.

MisterHero

what important 3DS game got cancelled?
Saint's Row. I don't know if people would say that SR or THq's involvement was very significant though.

My point is that it could be any company with highly reputable game X and it would be disappointing all the same. We have to expect that with today's industry.

If they hit 299 with a full year head start, Nintendo will be golden.

I'd love to believe that, but particularly for the core market, the release timing alone - launching 6-7 years into the other HD consoles' lifespans, and only a year or so before their competitors release significantly more powerful consoles that are likely to largely inherit the current PSN/XBLA online communities - means that they have one hell of a tiny needle to thread, even if they manage to do just about everything else right. (Which, being Nintendo, I'm not convinced that they will).

Saint's Row. I don't know if people would say that SR or THq's involvement was very significant though.

My point is that it could be any company with highly reputable game X and it would be disappointing all the same. We have to expect that with today's industry.

That game was a XBLA game which got canned altogether.

I think you should back up your points with some at least nearly realist facts.

BurntPork

Banned
Oh, I get it. Van Owen took what lherre said as meaning that it's equal to 360. lol

EDIT: beaten. It's hilarious how he didn't get that at all.

boiled goose

good with gravy
what important 3DS game got cancelled?

I am pretty much in the same situation.

Not because features are really that important to me in themselves, but because otherwise it won't get 3rd party support once again.

I have a PC (that i need to upgrade soon) for most of my graphical and multiplat needs. I hope WiiU can get the core japanese games though.
I don't have a Ps3, so I have missed out on some games this gen. Will prolly get one once it is super cheap.

So to me, it is about the features. I do not want to have to deal with fridge cleaning, SD card transferring, downloads tied to a console, no patches for gamebreaking bugs, having to log in manually for each game, no background downloads, terrible and slow online store, no demos, no installs, game specific friend lists, no cross game chat or no chat at all, terrible online netcode for online games, etc.

I actually don't care about online play THAT MUCH. The play aspect has been fine for the most part on Nintendo games that matter. On Wii for example, Mario Kart and Rock band 2 for example had really good online play.

My issue is more with a fully integrated and user friendly experience.

If WiiU is lacking in these features I will gladly skip it. I will buy one once it is $99 to play the 5 must-play exclusives like I will do with the PS3 and the 3DS.

I really don't have a shortage of games to play. My backlog alone can probably sustain me for the rest of my life. :)

orioto

Good Art™
The difference is that those "3DS=360" things were so obviously exaggerations for so many reasons that only a total dumbass would have believed it. lherre is actually trying to downplay the power most of the time. He hasn't said anything outrageous. What he said earlier was that he doesn't expect any launch games to match Uncharted 3, but he stressed the "at launch" part.

So i'm pretty close with my feeling of 720p/30 games with average geometry, below show stoppers on PS360, but modern shaders to counter that.

Then of course we'll see a Capcom game that will look phenomenal and people will make gifs of it for console wars.

Of course Kirby, mario, zelda (i'm less sure about this one if they have to handle an open world), fzero will look fantastic and i will fap on the trailers as much as anyone (i hope). But i just think it's still not enough to convert beyond the usual enthusiasts.

To do that, to regain even a small portion of the PS360 market, they have to show people, in 4 weeks, that the WiiU can and will have impressive enough ports of next gen games. Not 360 ones, but 720 ones.

Again, polycounts and effects for the most part did not look a "generation beyond" Xbox 1, that's what is at issue.
You are talking in hindsight here. At launch time PDZ, Proyect Gotham 3 and Kameo were the most technical advanced games in consoles and people were impressed by them. Now a days they pale in comparison to what the 360 has achieved but make no mistake, at launch day the were next gen experiences.

Kameo's assets especially seemed Xbox level, the only time things clearly went beyond Xbox abilities were those brief moments of scale where they'd pan out or throw a ton of models onscreen. Perfect Dark's modeling looked comparable to something like Splinter Cell CT, which was also doing things like HDR and parallax mapping on Xbox.
That`s factually wrong lunchwithyuzo. Splinter Cell CT wasn`t doing HDR nor Paralax Mapping and the character models polygon wise are below the counts of PDZ models. What Splinter Cell:CT was using are normal maps for character models and Bump Maps for its surfaces.

That's what I'm thinking. Price and how well the ad campaign goes are two of my bigger concerns, to be honest. The machine itself will be fine.

Life span wise, i think so too. An extra year with versions of most of the biggest third party games next year will be crucial in establishing an audience that can support third parties that the Wii simply lacked because outside of Ubisoft, no one believed in it. If dev costs continue to skyrocket, then i cant see how publishers could ignore a system with a huge install base already that can this time, support at least some version/vision of the game.

If they hit 299 with a full year head start, Nintendo will be golden.

I agree. And I'd argue they at least need to enable the "bring your DRC to a friend's house" feature for Madden.

Still racking my brain over what their big 1st party IP will be at launch. Even with the Gamecube version, TP sold alot of core gamers on the Wii. Neither NSMB nor Pikmin appeal to that specific demographic. I'm not counting on Retro's game being ready for launch. That leaves a big ol "?"

So i'm pretty close with my feeling of 720p/30 games with average geometry, below show stoppers on PS360, but modern shaders to counter that.

Then of course we'll see a Capcom game that will look phenomenal and people will make gifs of it for console wars.

Of course Kirby, mario, zelda (i'm less sure about this one if they have to handle an open world), fzero will look fantastic and i will fap on the trailers as anyone (i hope). But i just think it's still not enough to convert beyond the usual enthusiasts.

To do that, to regain even a small portion of the PS360 market, they have to show people, in 4 weeks, that the WiiU can and will have impressive enough ports of next gen games. Not 360 ones, but 720 ones.

Short of actually demoing UE4 running on Wii U, I don't think there's anything Nintendo could realistically show that would prove that.

And it's three weeks, not four. :)

I would definitely agree that GC had MUCH more graphically impressive third-party games than the Wii which is really rather sad. Hopefully well see a different level of respect for the hardware this generation.

Of course Kirby, mario, zelda (i'm less sure about this one if they have to handle an open world), fzero will look fantastic and i will fap on the trailers as anyone (i hope). But i just think it's still not enough to convert beyond the usual enthusiasts.

don't overplay the important of E3; even if they don't show anything at all at E3, in the end Wii U will either get or don't get 3rd party support for the next gen.

Even if the games are not graphically on par with the PS4/720, I am pretty sure just getting the games will really help it penetrate the market

BurntPork

Banned

No, he's saying that's how LAUNCH games will be, and even then he'd not counting out the possibility that he'll be wrong. It's more power than PS3 and 360.

MisterHero

That game was a XBLA game which got canned altogether.

I think you should back up your points with some at least nearly realist facts.
I'm slightly adjusting my argument (only because I forgot to bring it up in the 1st place), that certain announced titles ended up delayed far beyond the actual launch window.

MGS3
Kid Icarus
OoT
Kingdom Hearts

It would've been the greatest launch ever if they were launch games, but it's my fault I got too excited. It's not happening again. :p

Van Owen

Banned
Just reading the last few pages, why do people think the Zelda demo was 1080p?

It was 720p with no AA.

I'm not getting my hopes up for 1080p being the norm.

StevieP

Banned
Maybe it's jut me, but I thought the majority of third party games on Wii actually looked WORSE than third party games on Gamecube even, which is crazy to think about.

The difference is that much of the time last gen, those "A teams" were the ones working on the content, and those A-teams's efforts were then ported to the GC. A lot of the Wii games were made by B/C-teams, some of which probably never got fully-to-grips with the hardware in the previous gen like some of the teams that made graphically impressive GC games. Lower budget likely also played a much higher factor.

The A-teams were all on the HD Twins this gen, and the massive amounts of layoffs reflect that.

1000 posts in the last day, what...

Did something happen yesterday?

I think we should move this thread to the community forum lol.

Haha. It's hard to call it optimistic based on what I know. And no, Wii U is not what I personally would want power-wise. It's well short.

Shots fired ;)

BurntPork

Banned
Just reading the last few pages, why do people think the Zelda demo was 1080p?

It was 720p with no AA.

I'm not getting my hopes up for 1080p being the norm.

Are you going to ignore the fact that lherre was only talking about launch games not matching U3, and he was most likely talking about third-party games in the first place, and that he never used the word "can't"?

How can they do that when no one outside of developers knows what 720/PS4 can even do or is capable of?

That is something Nintendo has to concern itself with next E3, not this one. Executives from both companies have already said they wont be revealing new hardware this show.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
What are the chances of a 1080p AC3 on Wii U?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37822903&postcount=8417

I would say 5%

My info was relevant for the v4 dev kit.
The following one bring less than 10% increased performances, so it wouldn't be enough to manage a good looking current HD platforms game at 1080p. Maybe with optimizations from their engines, the SDK, the middleware used, etc, they can fiddle a few resources, but i think it won't be enough, considering the framerate wasn't 60fps at 720p for their title. Of course, it's on a third-parties, "port", and intricate use of the padlet, context.

You are talking in hindsight here. At launch time PDZ, Proyect Gotham 3 and Kameo were the most technical advanced games in consoles and people were impressed by them. Now a days they pale in comparison to what the 360 has achieved but make no mistake, at launch day the were next gen experiences.
Which is exactly what I've been arguing. Read the reviews of those games from back in the day, people were amazed by them, they thought they were full generations ahead.

Here's what IGN wrote about Project Gotham 3:
IGN said:
What really makes this game next-generation? It's not really the gameplay. It's the graphics and presentation. Visually, PGR3 is set up to look absolutely gorgeous when in 720p or 1080i. It's still pretty in 480p, but it looks more like an Xbox game to be honest. The high-def setting makes a world of difference. If you don't have a High-definition set-up, look into it quick!

Playing with the in-cockpit view is like going to Magic Mountain and riding the Colossus. Hang on for your life!
First, the normal mapping and texture resolutions are excellent. You can see enormous amounts of detail in the cities if you happen to ever have the time to stop and look around. Underneath that is an unprecedented amount of geometry. There are literally 80,000 polygons per car -- 40,000 just for the interior, and 40,000 for the exterior. When you get into the cockpit mode, the dashboard sparkles with highly refined objects. Plus, the inside rattles and blurs and the driver moves quickly and with motion-captured moves. Crazy!

The reflections on the cars are all in real time and showing true reflections, and they don't just reflect from the shiny metal side panels, they reflect from the tire rims, the side mirrors, the chromed grills, even off the helmet of the driver inside the car. The crowd is wildly varied -- although they're generic looking -- but the roads, the buildings, and trees, the city architecture, they are all extremely well done. Bizarre gave us a little stat sheet to describe its research into the visuals: It took more than 22,000 reference photographs and 10 hours of video to build the game, and the Brooklyn Bridge, by itself, uses more polygons than an entire city on PGR1.

Van Owen

Banned
Are you going to ignore the fact that lherre was only talking about launch games not matching U3, and he was most likely talking about third-party games in the first place, and that he never used the word "can't"?

So the bar being set for Wii U's 3rd party potential is UC3?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I agree. And I'd argue they at least need to enable the "bring your DRC to a friend's house" feature for Madden.

Still racking my brain over what their big 1st party IP will be at launch. Even with the Gamecube version, TP sold alot of core gamers on the Wii. Neither NSMB nor Pikmin appeal to that specific demographic. I'm not counting on Retro's game being ready for launch. That leaves a big ol "?"
If we exclude the really big franchises like Mario, Metroid, Super Smash Bros. and The Legend of Zelda, we have a few that could appeal to a core demographic. Custom Robo, Donkey Kong, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Star Fox and WarioWare are good examples, but only Custom Robo, F-Zero and WarioWare haven't seen release for several years. The question is whether Nintendo wants to rely on safe bets for launch of if they want to bring out something fresh for known franchises. I believe F-Zero with good online and frequent releases of DLC content could be a nice system seller. Though the 25th anniversary of that series doesn't happen until 2015 so perhaps they want to wait (if they are even going to bother with something like that).

BurntPork

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37822903&postcount=8417

I would say 5%

My info was relevant for the v4 dev kit.
The following one bring less than 10% increased performances, so it wouldn't be enough to manage a good looking current HD platforms game at 1080p. Maybe with optimizations from their engines, the SDK, the middleware used, etc, they can fiddle a few resources, but i think it won't be enough, considering the framerate wasn't 60fps at 720p for their title. Of course, it's on a third-parties, "port", and intricate use of the padlet, context.

If the framerate couldn't hit 60FPS, either they were doing something wrong or Wii U is only about 50% more powerful than 360.

I am not concerned about the power of the system. What I am concerned about is consistent big name third party support. I want that even more so than online.

I strongly agree with this. My friends don't know anything about polygons or shaders or even multiplayer beyond the size of the room they're in, but they abandoned the Wii because the TV commercials for games always said "for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3".

I'm slightly adjusting my argument (only because I forgot to bring it up in the 1st place), that certain announced titles ended up delayed far beyond the actual launch window.

MGS3
Kid Icarus
OoT
Kingdom Hearts

It would've been the greatest launch ever if they were launch games, but it's my fault I got too excited. It's not happening again. :p
I think most of that was due to the overconfidence of Nintendo in pricing of 3DS, and I really don't see them doing it once more.

I think they learned a lot from 3DS and really tried to fix it. Nintendo games are getting patched and DLC in nearly one year since 3DS western launch; that's really crazy considering they completely ignored these for a full generation.

orioto

Good Art™
Short of actually demoing UE4 running on Wii U, I don't think there's anything Nintendo could realistically show that would prove that.

And it's three weeks, not four. :)

Well yes demoing UE4 would be a good start :) But it could also be first trailers of early next gen games. We know many devs said they wouldn't wait for them to come to show their things. That could be PC games not designed to be ported on PS360 for example.

or that can simply be Nintendo games being modern enough in their shaders to look next gen. Some 3ds games makes people think they're ngc level with psp geometry after all, just by smartly putting the emphasis on a nicely normal mapped character in front!

Even the Zelda demo made lot of people scream "it's above PS3 level". But that was before we discovered it was 720p with no AA and most things were prebaked.

BurntPork said:
No, he's saying that's how LAUNCH games will be, and even then he'd not counting out the possibility that he'll be wrong. It's more power than PS3 and 360.

Well i would say based on Nintendo's history that they can show a big part of the potential with their first games. Mario Galaxy on Wii, Rogue Leader, Star Fox adventure on NGC (not them i know but pretty close to ), even Wave race on N64.

If the framerate couldn't hit 60FPS, either they were doing something wrong or Wii U is only about 50% more powerful than 360.

I dont know much about development, but i doubt its as easy as typing in a new number and *poof* 60 frames of smoothness.

They could just be using that power to increase draw distance and reduce pop in substantially or higher res textures.

Wait, what? Almost no games are going to look like UC3, even on XBox 8 and PS9. UC3 had a HUGE budget, you would need just as HUGE a budget to match its graphical quality. This is why every current-gen game released after UC3 doesn't look like UC3. Now, if someone were to port UC3 to Wii-U, I would expect it to look and/or run better. But of course that's not going to happen.

BurntPork

Banned
So the bar being set for Wii U's 3rd party potential is UC3?

*sigh*

You know what? You're obviously 100% certain that this is just a 360 in terms of power, so I think it's best to just leave you to that. Just keep in mind that this is a speculation thread, not a preconceived notions thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom