• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to have a even bigger twist though. As he says "Mama Mia," it pans out to reveal that the world around him isn't Hyrule, but rather a small town. As Mario ventures outside an looks around, he sees a young boy with a yellow and blue striped shirt, and red baseball cap. Cut to black.

Fuck...

This has to be on Wii U

I've been mostly done all week. Timing is insanely tight for the rest of the month. I'm just hoping that this thread keeps it's pace of late, as I vanish from the Internet on Thursday. At this rate, thread will close as I'm leaving for my off-the-grid vacation.

I couldn't do that. I will be here the whole time.

So Nintendo was tweaking the hardware to handle UE4, is that what all the GPU additions were about? Extra hardware to handle lighting and particles, I guess that would make Epic and Crytek happy.

It's expected that there is going to be only so many engines as time passes and no one has time to build them. Why not put in hardware for the popular engine(s) and if anything goes wrong that hardware can still be used.

Well the tweaks for what we do know were to optimize current engines and that doesn't necessarily suggest GPU additions were made. It's still up in the air if CE 3.4 and UE4 compatibility were included in those tweaks.

It bothers me because of the clashing artstyles.

Maybe that's why it's not sitting right with me.

Terrell

And your post reminds me that I want a Super Smash Bros. RPG.

No, you want a crossover Super RPG Bros. Because that's what everyone should want.

And before someone uses the phrase "Mushroom Kingdom Hearts", NO. NO. NOOOO. Get that Kingdom Hearts story bullshit away from my Nintendo RPGs.

ffdgh

No, you want a crossover Super RPG Bros. Because that's what everyone should want.

And before someone uses the phrase "Mushroom Kingdom Hearts", NO. NO. NOOOO. Get that Kingdom Hearts story bullshit away from my Nintendo RPGs.

oh c'mon what's not to
hate
love?
1140286-mushroom_kingdom_hearts_mini_super.jpg

Did anyone see Pachter's segment on GTTV? They asked him if he thought that Nintendo had the advantage in the industry because Sony and MS have said that they aren't showing new hardware at E3. He said that he didn't think that it really matters because he doesn't expect that many that have waited for a PS4 or a the next Xbox will rush out to buy the Wii U. He said that those gamers know that those consoles will probably be out in 2013, so they'll just wait for them. But in the end he said that it's always a good thing to be the only new thing in the market.

Also, they were showing that Zelda demo during the segment and the framerate looked extremely smooth. That was the first time that i've seen it on TV. Kind of surprising since I think it was confirmed to be running at 30fps. But it's one of those things that does a good job of looking like it's running at a higher framerate.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Watching the Battleship quick look strangely made me want Battalion Wars on the Wii U. Battleship the game had an interesting mechanic where you managed your battleships as you fought in a first person shooter. Kinda like what Battalion Wars does, and I think it would be an excellent fit for the controller. You wouldn't even really need to pause the action too much. I never played Battalion Wars for more than a few minutes, but from what I've gathered, you are managing troops on a wider scale while participating in fights, controlling a single soldier.

It seems absolutely perfect for Wii U.

Linkhero1

Did anyone see Pachter's segment on GTTV? They asked him if he thought that Nintendo had the advantage in the industry because Sony and MS have said that they aren't showing new hardware at E3. He said that he didn't think that it really matters because he doesn't expect that many that have waited for a PS4 or a the next Xbox will rush out to buy the Wii U. He said that those gamers know that those consoles will probably be out in 2013, so they'll just wait for them. But in the end he said that it's always a good thing to be the only new thing in the market.

Also, they were showing that Zelda demo during the segment and the framerate looked extremely smooth. That was the first time that i've seen it on TV. Kind of surprising since I think it was confirmed to be running at 30fps. But it's one of those things that does a good job of looking like it's running at a higher framerate.

He sorta has a point. Those PS3 and Xbox 360 gamers will move onto the next iteration of those platforms and until then keep buying multiplats for the PS3 and 360. The Wii U needs exclusive content so those people will be interested and have a reason to get one. Multiplatforms are not going to cut it.

This time I didn't shit myself.

That's progress.

One step at a time. Next thing you know, you'll be letting half the amount of gas out.

antonz

He sorta has a point. Those PS3 and Xbox 360 gamers will move onto the next iteration of those platforms and until then keep buying multiplats for the PS3 and 360. The Wii U needs exclusive content so those people will be interested and have a reason to get one. Multiplatforms are not going to cut it.

One step at a time. Next thing you know, you'll be letting half the amount of gas out.

You are right. Nintendo needs exclusives that will get the PS360 crowd interested enough to buy the console then Nintendo needs to make sure those multiplatforms are being done in a way that it can be appealing for those people to keep buying software for the wii u

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

He's correct. It ties back into my argument that a lot of 360/PS3 owners won't care about Wii U third party ports, and the necessity for Nintendo to land exclusives and have really cool, unique features that cant be found anywhere else, yet seem essential to gaming.

A part of me does wish Microsoft or Sony had confirmed a long time ago that they'd be talking about next generation systems at E3, even if they only intended to spend a minute or two teasing with no real substance. If just because it would put maximum pressure on Nintendo to do their absolute best. Competition is good.

Someone said earlier that Nintendo will probably save a lot of stuff for their end of year event, prior to the Wii U launch, and I agree. But I do hope they still have tons of stuff ready to show, and don't hold back too many megatons.

Linkhero1

You are right. Nintendo needs exclusives that will get the PS360 crowd interested enough to buy the console then Nintendo needs to make sure those multiplatforms are being done in a way that it can be appealing for those people to keep buying software for the wii u

I can see them totally capturing the Madden crowd if they use the uPad to call out plays and such. That's a start, but just feel that tacking on random uPad features in multiplatform games won't do much.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Really it depends on how big of a hardware jump it is and multiplats (as well as price). Wii u will probably end up being cheaper than those consoles when they hit, if it manages to get reasonable enough multiplats then it could end up having a rather large install base intially in comparison to Xbox 720 and PS4as shown with the Xbox 360 , the majority of gamers at the begning of the gen thought it was a forgone conclusion to go for the PS3 (being the successor to the beast that was PS2), but the price and the fact most multiplats and exclusives looked about the same, made going for Xbox 360 just seem more logical.

Console loyalty in these sorts of things doesn't matter very much if there's a big enough price difference and reasonble enough multiplats. Nintendo really just needs to get the Wii U to that point, the issue is if they can or want to.

Linkhero1

Really it depends on how big of a hardware jump it is and multiplats (as well as price). Wii u will probably end up being cheaper than those consoles when they hit, if it manages to get reasonable enough multiplats then it could end up having a rather large install base intially in comparison to Xbox 720 and PS4as shown with the Xbox 360 , the majority of gamers at the begning of the gen thought it was a forgone conclusion to go for the PS3 (being the successor to the beast that was PS2), but the price and the fact most multiplats and exclusives looked about the same, made going for Xbox 360 just seem more logical.

Console loyalty in these sorts of things doesn't matter very much if there's a big enough price difference and reasonble enough multiplats. Nintendo really just needs to get the Wii U to that point, the issue is if they can or want to.

Well it's not really about console loyalty. What I'm trying to say is that PS3 and 360 owners have no real need to move to the Wii U if all it has are multiplatform games from third parties. I mean first party probably won't cut it for that crowd, so they wouldn't have any reason to get a Wii U. Nintendo needs to secure exclusive titles that would appeal to these gamers. Third parties would also have to include unique, exclusive features in their multiplatform titles. It's not really about whether the Wii U will get multiplatform titles, but if they can capture those 360 and PS3 owners that would normally wait for the next iteration of those consoles. Patcher thinks those people would rather wait since they're able to get multiplatforms on their console already. I agree with him.

Edit: Also if they know PS4 and 720 are coming out in 2013, they would rather wait for those consoles, knowing they're going to be more powerful than a Wii U.

Nilaul

Is this supposed to be their e3 stage design? If so...
3AQmK.gif

Miyamoto at E3:

Zelda fans always wished to find and discover the triforce. However I discovered it and my wish becomes true. I present to you the President Of Sony; He's going to introduce you the two new Zelda Games, and then we get to ask him awkward questions about Vita all day long.

He's correct. It ties back into my argument that a lot of 360/PS3 owners won't care about Wii U third party ports, and the necessity for Nintendo to land exclusives and have really cool, unique features that cant be found anywhere else, yet seem essential to gaming.

A part of me does wish Microsoft or Sony had confirmed a long time ago that they'd be talking about next generation systems at E3, even if they only intended to spend a minute or two teasing with no real substance. If just because it would put maximum pressure on Nintendo to do their absolute best. Competition is good.

Someone said earlier that Nintendo will probably save a lot of stuff for their end of year event, prior to the Wii U launch, and I agree. But I do hope they still have tons of stuff ready to show, and don't hold back too many megatons.

I could be wrong, but I think it's possible for them to pull over quite a few PS3 and 360 owners. But they pretty much have to nail every note at E3. Aside from them having an online service that up to par with the competition, I think the most important thing will be the multiplatform titles. The N64-Wii all had questionable third party support. E3 can't end with people having the feeling that the same will happen with the Wii U. They need to make sure that games like Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Rising on at the system. Even if it isn't day and date with the other platforms due to them going into development later. That's why I think GTA5 would be the biggest announcement that they could make at E3. Even with it being multiplatform it would send a message to gamers and developers that the Wii U isn't going to have the type of third party support that people have come to expect from Nintendo consoles in recent years.

In other words, those gamers need to know that they aren't going to be missing out on any games by buying a Wii U. And Nintendo also needs to push for those games to visual improvements over the PS3 and 360 versions. There's no reason for them to be identical if the system really is 2-3x's the power of the current machines. Having superior multiplatform games for even a small window of time would be a big deal for Nintendo. Especially since we're big name titles are going to be released late this year and early next year.

The ball will be in Nintendo's court. The entire industry will likely be watching them since they're going to be the only company rolling out a new console. They need to do everything they can to shake that "you only buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo games" image. I'd argue that it's more damning to them than the "kiddie" image.

Terrell

It's not like Nintendo doesn't KNOW their competition is coming. They're only getting a year, not a lifetime. If they want to take Sony and Microsoft's market, they have to be quick and aggressive about it. So I don't buy the line of thinking that those 2 consoles not being at E3 means Nintendo's off the hook. If anything, there's MORE pressure involved this way because they have an opportunity that they only get ONE chance to seize.

oh c'mon what's not to
hate
love?
1140286-mushroom_kingdom_hearts_mini_super.jpg

I have so much vomit to clean up now.

Needs more buckles.

You forgot oversized zippers.

was there a green and white rumor or something? what are we guessing at... no I am not going back to read these crazy posts this thread is tiring as of late

lednerg

One of the biggest things Nintendo has going for them is that nobody has seen any of their first party titles on modern hardware before. We're used to seeing them on 20th century GPU tech. The leap from GC/Wii to the Wii U is going to be immense, so their first party games on the system are going to seem that much more impressive. Sony and MS aren't going to have anywhere near that kind of improvement with their own IPs coming from the HD twins. Judging by all of the "meh" responses to UE4, diminishing returns could very well be a factor for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom