• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

cantstopthetrainsgpf9udjrk.gif

AniHawk

those spherical explosions at the end...I was imagining Reggie's noggin rising up and exposing a grin

or maybe the train could have new post on the side, and then after it goes through instead of hit + 50 it says banned and then the explosions are the face of samuel l jackson from black snake moan.

NeoRausch

I learned what context was from Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Oh wow, same here!

conker wakes up with a super hangover and get's told: " that button is context sensitiv" and he goes "context...huh?"

and i felt the same way. Then it SLOWLY got explained for mamals with hangover and and stupid teens like me and we both go "context sensive.......CLEVER!" at the same time.

good old days! *sheds a tear*

japtor

Well it's not really about console loyalty. What I'm trying to say is that PS3 and 360 owners have no real need to move to the Wii U if all it has are multiplatform games from third parties. I mean first party probably won't cut it for that crowd, so they wouldn't have any reason to get a Wii U. Nintendo needs to secure exclusive titles that would appeal to these gamers. Third parties would also have to include unique, exclusive features in their multiplatform titles. It's not really about whether the Wii U will get multiplatform titles, but if they can capture those 360 and PS3 owners that would normally wait for the next iteration of those consoles. Patcher thinks those people would rather wait since they're able to get multiplatforms on their console already. I agree with him.

Edit: Also if they know PS4 and 720 are coming out in 2013, they would rather wait for those consoles, knowing they're going to be more powerful than a Wii U.
But will they be more powerful than taking your console games to the bathroom?

(this doesn't count)

But will they be more powerful than taking your console games to the bathroom?

(this doesn't count)

Being completely serious, this feature alone is worth every penny for me. Traveling around the house I mean(including the bathroom). I usually only have time to play long winded games(Zelda, Dark Souls, etc) at night once I'm getting in bed. I also like to game outside on my porch at night as well, and this will go right up my ally for things I've desired. The extra visual power is just a plus, because this and the second screen functionality are the priority for me.

I mean, I can potentially play ALL of my eShop WiiU games in portable fashion? Oh hell yes. Since Capcom refuses to give me Mega Man 9 and 10 on 3DS, this makes me feel a little better. The future is bright, if there is ever a Mega Man 11.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I could be wrong, but I think it's possible for them to pull over quite a few PS3 and 360 owners. But they pretty much have to nail every note at E3. Aside from them having an online service that up to par with the competition, I think the most important thing will be the multiplatform titles. The N64-Wii all had questionable third party support. E3 can't end with people having the feeling that the same will happen with the Wii U. They need to make sure that games like Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Rising on at the system. Even if it isn't day and date with the other platforms due to them going into development later. That's why I think GTA5 would be the biggest announcement that they could make at E3. Even with it being multiplatform it would send a message to gamers and developers that the Wii U isn't going to have the type of third party support that people have come to expect from Nintendo consoles in recent years.

In other words, those gamers need to know that they aren't going to be missing out on any games by buying a Wii U. And Nintendo also needs to push for those games to visual improvements over the PS3 and 360 versions. There's no reason for them to be identical if the system really is 2-3x's the power of the current machines. Having superior multiplatform games for even a small window of time would be a big deal for Nintendo. Especially since we're big name titles are going to be released late this year and early next year.

The ball will be in Nintendo's court. The entire industry will likely be watching them since they're going to be the only company rolling out a new console. They need to do everything they can to shake that "you only buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo games" image. I'd argue that it's more damning to them than the "kiddie" image.

I agree, the third party stuff is important, but it's...third party support, in this instance, would be good to sustain an existing fanbase. But Nintendo, if they want the PS3/360 crowd, need to do more than sustain it, they need to sell them the Wii U. And third party ports alone won't do it.

So yeah, you're right, they're going to have to hit every note just right. They have to convince Joe Shmo that even though he's played all Assassin's Creed games on his Xbox 360, he'd be better off buying a Wii U instead.

It's not like Nintendo doesn't KNOW their competition is coming. They're only getting a year, not a lifetime. If they want to take Sony and Microsoft's market, they have to be quick and aggressive about it. So I don't buy the line of thinking that those 2 consoles not being at E3 means Nintendo's off the hook. If anything, there's MORE pressure involved this way because they have an opportunity that they only get ONE chance to seize.

I wasn't implying that Nintendo was off the hook. They know the stakes. But competition is good.

Big N need to get it snowball moving before the twins do, If they get it going it hard for the twins to get up to same speed

Actually, something to Wet the appetite without spoiling the surprise of dinner would be a good idea. Just something as simple as a banner with info we already know. "Pikmin 3. See you soon." written across an ambiguous piece of promo art would destroy this forum.

Bumhead

Banned
Innovation is going to be key to third party support and how that sells the system to the existing PS360 crowd. The tablet controller, and more importantly how that is utilized, could be crucial.

Aliens: Coloniel Marines could make a big statement and set the bar pretty high. If they featured the ability to mount the U Pad onto a Zapper - as was teased in a shooting gallery game in last years E3 show real- with the U Pad acting as the scanner from the films, that would be a pretty compelling sell. That's the sort of thing that really extends the game beyond your ordinary FPS, and could add a new dimension to how people play those sort of games.

Even if third parties are only on par with current gen systems visually, interesting use of the U Pad would be enough to convince me the Wii U versions would be the ones to get. Even just mapping maps and inventories to the bottom screen would put theoretical stuff like RE6 and GTA V above the PS360 versions, for me.

usmanusb

Innovation is going to be key to third party support and how that sells the system to the existing PS360 crowd. The tablet controller, and more importantly how that is utilized, could be crucial.

Aliens: Coloniel Marines could make a big statement and set the bar pretty high. If they featured the ability to mount the U Pad onto a Zapper - as was teased in a shooting gallery game in last years E3 show real- with the U Pad acting as the scanner from the films, that would be a pretty compelling sell. That's the sort of thing that really extends the game beyond your ordinary FPS, and could add a new dimension to how people play those sort of games.

Even if third parties are only on par with current gen systems visually, interesting use of the U Pad would be enough to convince me the Wii U versions would be the ones to get. Even just mapping maps and inventories to the bottom screen would put theoretical stuff like RE6 and GTA V above the PS360 versions, for me.

yes its true.. but i hope the idea will not be copied by Microsoft/Sony for their next gen.

yes its true.. but i hope the idea will not be copied by Microsoft/Sony for their next gen.

it will if it sells and they copy what ever game sell well too like Wii fit, Wii sports, Nintendogs same for for 3rd party's they do same

you cant lead if all you do is follow, so they never sell as well

I agree, the third party stuff is important, but it's...third party support, in this instance, would be good to sustain an existing fanbase. But Nintendo, if they want the PS3/360 crowd, need to do more than sustain it, they need to sell them the Wii U. And third party ports alone won't do it.

So yeah, you're right, they're going to have to hit every note just right. They have to convince Joe Shmo that even though he's played all Assassin's Creed games on his Xbox 360, he'd be better off buying a Wii U instead.

I'd say third party exclusives would help, but i'm not sure if they can land them. At least not with Western studios. I fully expect Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest to be exclusive to the Wii U. They might be able to land KH as an exclusive, and that would actually carry weight in the West unlike the other two.

I guess that they could try to fund original IP's from major Western studios. Epic seem to be open to doing that. And they should do whatever it takes to get Valve and Blizzard behind them. Both of them have talked about being annoyed with the hurdles that they have to jump over on the PS3 and 360, so Nintendo should let them run wild on the Wii U.

Retro working on some sort of shooter could be really huge for them. I think that they have what it takes to tap into that market. Nintendo definitely needs one of those multiplayer shooters in their library. I'm surprised that they really haven't tried that much to achieve the type of success that they had with Goldeneye and, to a lesser extent, Perfect Dark. They were really responsible for the first real success stories with FPS multiplayer games on consoles and they just let the market slip away from them.

Speaking of multiplayer, I think it'd be smart for Nintendo to continue to really focus on splitscreen multiplayer. It's something that's really gone away with current consoles. That's an obvious hole in the market due to the shift toward online multiplayer.

I just had a crazy-vivid dream that incorporated a small fantasy E3 reveal of a Wii-U game / piece of software -- essentially my brain having a Wii-U game idea while I was asleep.

It was a sort of Wii-U Mii Quest Plaza, a piece of software pre-installed on the system.

The art was this vivid colourful world with a globe like this:

GWJ3T.jpg

except you could only see the upper hemisphere. Instead of just Mario characters, there were characters from other Nintendo franchises, castles, vehicles and Miis strewn about the place. Offset to the left of the biggest land mass was this big yellow rocket with a red cap and red fins around the base, and a Nintendo Network symbol on it.

In the demo of the game there were a few different modes.
  • A plaza, which essentially acted as a lobby for playing and communicating with your friends

• A messaging app which allowed you to leave short video messages (1-5 min), text messages or voice messages for friends. The text messages could be input with software keyboard, or you could do a sort of swapnote message. The voice messages were read out by your Mii, with faux lip-syncing. A guy creating one in an on-stage demonstration said "Konnichiwa" as the first word, and the cartoon background behind his Mii briefly changed to cartoon imagery of Japan, with an accompanying musical trill on Kato and Shamisen instruments. Certain other words would create amusing animated and audible quirks to his message too. There were things racing around his Mii and explosions going off as he described a game of Mario Kart and threatened his opponent. It used facial recognition, head position, posture and tone recognition to detect when extreme emotions like sadness or anger were being acted out and the Mii replicated those emotions in the message. It actually looked way way better and more fun than leaving a normal video/text message.

• There was a party quest mode, like the 3DS' Streetpass Quest. You were essentially able to band together with three friends and take part in games and communication in this online world that featured on the box art.

The world was split up into sectors, some themed for general questing and very basic - a lot like the 3DS Streetpass Quest game, but special parts of the world were also Nintendo themed, based on games like Mario, Zelda and Metroid (ie. Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Brinstar)...

The rocket on the game's art was to illustrate that this world was not closed, it could be expanded. If first and third party games featured a NN rocket on the back of their box art, it indicated that the game added more content to Wii-U Mii Quest Plaza in the form of an extra world or level that you could take your friends in to (next time you played Quest party leader - ie. hosted a game).

Online communities (like NeoGAF) watching this reveal quickly started realising and noticing the rocket logo had been shown on games that were revealed earlier in the presentation, including a Metal Gear game, a Sonic the Hedgehog game and a Resident Evil game -- meaning your Miis would be assailed by Metal Gear Geckos, Robotnik inventions and Zombies.

Unlike the 3DS Questing, this wasn't limited to RPG stuff --- its was more like Little Big Planet, in that the worlds / levels could be anything. A Starfox themed challenge actually involved Miis flying about in a simple but crazy looking 2D shooter... the idea was that this world would keep players coming back, offering them an incentive to buy new games. It would always add new surprises.

• Aside from quest mode, there was also a sandbox mode which featured Nintendo's newest take on the Wuhu Island idea -- ie. a persistent world you could visit. It was much bigger than Wuhu, and as your Mii - decked out in all sorts of gear and customised, you could drive around the place or even fly in Pilotwings style challenges. You were dropped in to the world with a bunch of other online people, and it functioned a lot like the Everybody's Golf online lobbies -- you could drop in or drop out at any time, or find a friend and join them if network conditions allowed (ie. if their particular version of the lobby had enough capacity, and you wouldn't be lagging it up)

• Catch Mii and Battle Mii were also incorporated in to the software.

It was a strange dream, and while I've no doubt Nintendo will include some cool software pre installed on to the Wii-U, I doubt they will do something like I've described... and I don't really mind that.

I essentially want a simple online system: unified IDs, multiple sign-ins, a friends list, a simple and quick way to communicate with those friends... that'd make me happy enough. But beyond that, if they do create something extra, I could probably dig something more quirky and Nintendo-like. I hope Nintendo reveals an idea at E3 that's even zanier than my dreams...

my dream also incorporated dogs and cats smiling at me (human-like smiles) whenever other people weren't watching them. Sometimes cats and dogs would walk into the room, sit on their hind legs and just smile at me. It's not the first time that's happened to me in dreams, I have no idea what that's about!

Truth be told, I don't believe the PS360 crowd is interested in such things as Zapper implementation. This is one of the reasons why I think nintendo chose an innovation like this in the first place. The screen can very easily be used for ANY game at all...especially the type of traditional games that crowd is in to. It isn't like the wiimote where third parties would have to think a little on how to use it correctly, as it practically writes itself.

- Throw a map on it.
- Put your inventory there.
- Just stream the game and be done with it.
- Fighting Game? Throw a move list on it.
- Have a permanent options menu on it.
- Cant think of anything at all, not even a map? Just show random pieces of art.

They don't have to think of anything innovative or cunning, and the player still gets a benefit from it. Hell, they could be really lazy and just have all of the same info on the controller put up as if it were on the ps360, and it still would be completely unintrusive for the player. Of course, if they truly want to be innovative, they can(and I hope they are). I just think this time around, the player won't be thrown under the bus because they just HAD to use waggle in some stupid fashion that didn't fit the game in the first place.

If only we had the power to bring this to life like we did Toonami...

It's from something called Violent Planet.

meteorhitsearth.gif

This needs Evilore's face on it after the cyber bullying thread. If you haven't seen it, please take a moment to. You will thank yourself later for the gander.

MYE

I love these cartoon planets representing game worlds on covers.

Wario Shake Dimension had this in its PAL release

tofichejeuxwariolandthe.jpg

Soo nice <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom