• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems pretty obvious now that the online flexibility Iwata has been talking about is more in terms of certification compliance than anything else. In that it will have less requirements in terms of online implementation than what Microsoft requires, for instance, and developers will have more choice on what features they do and don't want to use.

Which can be both a good and a bad thing, depending on your point of view. But I think there's been a growing sentiment over the last few years that Microsoft could do to be a bit less stringent on what a game needs to have, so far as online goes, to pass cert. And as someone who enjoys the greater flexibility on PC, even for Steamworks games, I can't say I'd be complaining.

It probably also means that stuff like F2P will have a much easier time getting on the Wii U, considering that whenever Iwata has talked about flexibility he talks about it in the same sentence as how fast the online sphere is changing.

I agree. That's what I said in that post in regards to the flexibility. I believe allowing "freedom" within a controlled environment should go a long way for console online gaming.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
GTA V. It has to be that. Worthy of a Megaton title.

No, its Starbucks. Their corporate logo is green and white. This summer you will be able to try out wii u at select Starbucks coffee shops.

Upad will probably be used quite heavily if they didnt start late on the version. I mean all the tactical pad usage in game screams Upad usage

Just from what I've heard about the game modes and some of the items in this game, it just absolutely SCREAMS uPad. Uppercase required.

Let's see...
Remote control helicopters and robot tank things you can use
An RTS mode in the single player game
The tactical pad thing

Yeah, if this game isn't on Wii U with heavy pad usage I'll be shocked. Really shocked.

The way I figure it, the chances of this being the best version of the game are high. Real high.

Just like Aliens CM.

Now if we can just get Borderlands on this thing it'll make a hat trick of the best versions of all the best console FPSes this Fall. (iirc Bioshock got delayed, not sure how pad usage would help that one anyway)

Who knows???

You'd have to ask whoever made the cryptic post as to what he was talking about but some have mentioned he was referring to proof that the name hasn't changed.

Maybe on boxart of Viewtiful Joe Wii U.

I really wish capcom didnt kill that series. A new 3DS game in that amazing style would be beautiful.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
The name of the console is related to something green and white?

It was in response to an inquiry into whether we'd see a name change. He said not likely and gave a hint about seeing something green and white. My intuition tells me he saw some cross-promotional marketing material between Nintendo and Starbucks and the Wii brand was present.

It was in response to an inquiry into whether we'd see a name change. He said not likely and gave a hint about seeing something green and white. My intuition tells me he saw some cross-promotional marketing material between Nintendo and Starbucks and the Wii brand was present.

Project Cafe. Full circle.

Explains the Cafe codename. (Dang it Freezie! :p )

Though thanks recent evidence I'm on the GTA V bandwagon

Anth0ny

No chance in hell Wii U online will be on the level of a XBL.

Maybe next gen.

Then again, all I really care about is Smash Bros online. If they can get that right, I'm good.

If real, would a GTAV reveal be a closer for the conference or would they save that for a Smash Bros hype or Retro surprise? I would imagine they would want to discuss the last two a bit, meanwhile R* rarely discusses much outside of trailers.

Izick

Just because Retro's game is being called "massive" doesn't mean that it's an MMO. It's likely just a game with a much larger scope. Maybe a semi open world game, or a huge Star Fox game or something. Who knows. Chances are it will be awesome though.

Gahiggidy

Just because Retro's game is being called "massive" doesn't mean that it's an MMO. It's likely just a game with a much larger scope. Maybe a semi open world game, or a huge Star Fox game or something. Who knows. Chances are it will be awesome though.

I took it literally and thought of a game where all the characters were giants.

Orayn

Raven Blade. BELIEVE!

I took it literally and thought of a game where all the characters were giants.

FINALLY, Retro's game is no longer unknown.

final_doshin-article_image.jpg

If real, would a GTAV reveal be a closer for the conference or would they save that for a Smash Bros hype or Retro surprise? I would imagine they would want to discuss the last two a bit, meanwhile R* rarely discusses much outside of trailers.

Sounds like it wouldn't be revealed till probably after E3.

Haha. I like this idea. Too bad Nintendo wouldn't implement it this way.

It would need to not happen so I can keep my focus on real life.

I haven't been a big WiiU speculation guy since getting banned for it in April 2011, but the gearbox thread has piqued my interest, and I think I'm going to subscribe and take up residence here.

All aboard the interstellar hype train - Next stop: E3! I offer you the gift of Iron Maiden

Haha. You're kind of late. We'll be on thread six in a few days. :p

I am cared of what 'appealing to the hardcore crowd' means.

I dont care if its a shooter, i just want it to be artistically beautiful and not shades of brown/red/black.

Linkhero1

E3's coming guys. For all you in the "know" this is for you.

Lay beside me and tell me what Nintendo's done
And speak the words I wanna hear to make my worries run
The door is locked now but it's open if you're true
If you can understand the Mii then I can understand the U

I can't see Nintendo turning it around so drastically in one gen. From the Wii's abomination of an online infrastructure to something on par with XBL?

Prove me wrong Nintendo.

I would agree with you only if Nintendo were developing their online infrastructure themselves, but considering they've already said they're working with companies outside of Nintendo and have been listening to 3rd party, it's definitely possible.

Antioch

Wasn't there something about Retro hiring someone seemingly to make an open world game? So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it does end up being open world, whatever it is.

Peru

Wasn't there something about Retro hiring someone seemingly to make an open world game? So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it does end up being open world, whatever it is.

Open world is ok. Have absolutely no interest in MMOs, period, so that would suck for me.

I am cared of what 'appealing to the hardcore crowd' means.

I dont care if its a shooter, i just want it to be artistically beautiful and not shades of brown/red/black.

Do you mean Retro's game???

They don't have the typical Western mentality and seem to be on the same wavelength as Nintendo whether their original ways or the influence.

Lay beside me and tell me what Nintendo's done
And speak the words I wanna hear to make my worries run
The door is locked now but it's open if you're true
If you can understand the Mii then I can understand the U

Because you're getting Doshin the Giant: Twoooooooooooo!

Do we even have a hint at how long Retro's game has been in development? Has it been in pre production stages for like 2 years waiting to be premier software for the new hardware and only hit full production after DKCR shipped or something? That would be cool.

Watch it be a star fox 3DS game.

Izick

Well let's go over the clues shall we?

Clue Number One: It's a game that everyone allegedly wants them to do

Clue Number Two: Retro has hired key members of staff from Naughty Dog, id, and Vigil Games (Darksiders)

Clue Number Three: The game has been allegedly described as "massive" by certain members of the industry

Orayn

Clue 1 strongly suggests a sequel/reboot based for an existing IP, while Clues 2 and 3 only tell us that it's going to be an ambitious game with high production values. If all the odds weren't stacked against the possibility and I didn't already know better, I would say Zelda.

Hopes for it being Raven Blade... Deleted.

Well let's go over the clues shall we?

Clue Number One: It's a game that everyone allegedly wants them to due

Clue Number Two: Retro has hired key members of staff from Naughty Dog, id, and Vigil Games (Darksiders)

Clue Number Three: The game has been allegedly described as "massive" by certain members of the industry

Clue Number Four: The game is not using existing IPs like Zelda, DK, Metroid, etc.

Paul Gale

http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/201...-rumored-huge-wii-u-nintendo-published-title/

Later on Saturday, May 19th...I've decided to go ahead and share with everyone the rumored Retro Studios title in development. Believe me, the last thing I want to do is fill the internet with more hopes and dreams that eventually get crushed and that's why I choose not to put up 90% of the crap I get.

Once in a while however, something is just too cool not to share and has a decent possibility backing it up. Add to that, the fact that the Retro Studios story emulated from Paul Gale Network in April, 2011 and I feel that I at least owe the story that I've uncovered, the "chance" and it being real.

I'm calling it a rumor when I reveal it tomorrow and can't stress that point enough. Still, I'll tell you at NeoGAF now that if true, it's quite freakin' exceptional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom