• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinxtanx

No sir, I do not believe this rumor.

I'm not even sure I want to.

But if it is true, Nintendo will simultaneously win E3 and get bashed to hell and back by the press.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There are bad ideas, then there's Star Fox/Metroid crossovers.

Sonic fan fiction territory of bad.

Browsers are far too CPU intensive to have a useful one in game.
If it works, just about, on 3DS, why can't it work on Wii U with it's additional CPU power/ more cores? It doesn't need to support multiple tabs or anything (though they could have a dedicated browser that supports multiple tabs which can only be launched separately to a game)

Sadist

There's a lot to it that could go wrong, that's for sure. Unlikely to an extent but possible. I'm trying to see it work and I dunno, when I wrap my ahead around the concept I kinda see it. It would be interesting...
Honestly, reading up on it and I find the idea uninteresting in every single way. But thats mostly because Star Fox is one of the few Nintendo franchises I don't care for and the rotation between gameplay styles sound... off.

- Another source, that you know well lherre ( :) ) told me, and this is a new tidbit, that the OS is stored in a specific flash, different than the other flash memory that will be built-in the system for downloading, saves, etc. Like a lot of other platforms actually (they need a specific type of flash dedicated for the OS, the firmware upgrades, etc.). The size of this flash seems to be 512MB. Obviously, it doesn't mean the OS is 512mb, and that it will occupy 512MB once loaded in the RAM memory. Again, they could have decided on this amount in advance and being large for it because the OS wasn't fleshed out at all at the time. The OS could actually take let's say 200 MB (i don't know it's amount) of this space. The fact is that i don't think we've ever seen such room reserved for OS storage, so it's clearly another hint, in addition to the first info, to a bigger operating system than on the other home systems, rich in features, in functions (functions that requires another space in the RAM memory, like the aforementioned multi-tasking).
Perhaps if there is 512MB of flash memory just for the OS, and they shrink it to 200MB or so, the additional space will allow firmware/ dashboard updates in future. If it doesn't use the main flash memory reserved for saves and downloads, Nintendo wouldn't be easily able to expand the OS functionality if the OS used up all it's allocated flash memory.

pramath

Banned
The whole world we live in is crazy. And when E3 comes around, this crazy turns into pure and unfiltered insanity! Especially when theres a Nintendo console (re)unveiling!

Staying silent for a year about it might be the most genius Wii U related move Nintendo's pulled so far.

Paul Gale

Honestly, reading up on it and I find the idea uninteresting in every single way. But that mostly because Star Fox is one of the few Nintendo franchises I don't care for and the rotation between gameplay styles sound... off.

Oddly enough, IGN put up a Nintendo mashups that need to happen article a while ago and one was Metroid and Star Fox. Could they have known something at the time or was it just a joke? I'm thinking the latter but that'd be something if they were right.

TrueBlue

California PST. Just put it up right here. Was going to wait until 9am, but I've done all the digging I can and just can't find out whether or not it's more than a rumor so no point in waiting another 5.5 hours.

It's just a rumor, but I really wanted some more evidence. We'll see in 17 days hopefully.

Is it wrong that I instanly thought of Dragon Ball Z upon seeing the title?

Sounds like an idea a 13 year old would come up with for a school project. Or, as Paul's post could suggest, was stolen from a list of ideas in an IGN article and turned into a rumour.

Spiegel

The notion of Nintendo reserving 512mb of RAM specifically for the OS (even with the likelihood of scaling back) isn't very believable to me. That's more than twice the RAM Windows 7 uses while idling.

It's not that unbelievable. Vita reserves 256MB of RAM for the OS/apps.

Star Fox x Metroid? Huh? :/

Yeah... Not sure if want...

Its like they wanted to do both but only have enough people to make one game... So they just mixed them into one game... Meh...

Lets hope this one stays a rumor. I seriusly can't see this work in any way shape or form...

Antioch

Lol, didn't expect that to be the rumor, thanks for sharing it Paul but there's no way I'm believing that one. It's kinda an interesting idea, but how would the art styles go together? How would the game be 1st person in on-foot missions and then switch to 3rd person half way through? It doesn't really seem plausible at all. I would much rather have Retro work on something else, and something more coherent.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
"So, the last StarFox and Metroid games underperformed. Why don't we tie down our best western studio with a game that combines the two? That's sure to win over the core!"

This was an Arwing!

Metroid-Prime-3-Ending.jpg

(Metroid Prime 3's secret ending)

Luigiv

It's not that unbelievable. Vita reserves 256MB of RAM for the OS/apps.

Is this actually confirmed because that sounds quite extreme. 256MB is half the main memory of the device.

Then again it does make sense, considering the main memory is split 256-128-128. the 256MB chip would be for the OS whilst the 128MB chips would be for game data.

California PST. Just put it up right here. Was going to wait until 9am, but I've done all the digging I can and just can't find out whether or not it's more than a rumor so no point in waiting another 5.5 hours.

It's just a rumor, but I really wanted some more evidence. We'll see in 17 days hopefully.

Thanks for the rumor but I just can't see what's the point of mixing up the two universes.

If the reason is to include different gameplay styles, it just doesn't make sense since both - on their own - can have flying/land sections.

Story-wise makes even more less sense.

Just a new STARFOX would suffice - why drag Metroid in this?

NBtoaster

- Another source, that you know well lherre ( :) ) told me, and this is the new tidbit, that the OS is stored in a specific flash, different than the other flash memory that will be built-in the system for downloading, saves, etc. Like a lot of other platforms actually (they need a specific type of flash dedicated for the OS, the firmware upgrades, etc.). The size of this flash seems to be 512MB.

For comparison, the PS3 launched with 256MB of internal flash for the OS (the slim now only has 16MB, and stores most of it on the HDD).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As one gets closer to the singularity of E3, one experiences the time/space distortion from its immense gravitational pull. One will witness irregular, unusual events of increasing frequency, each more bizarre and confusing than the last, seemingly devoid of logic and reason, and detached from reality. Eventually, at approximately one week from the singularity, one passes the event horizon, and will from then on experience indescribable, unfathomable events and non-events, released from the bondages of the known laws of physics that dictate our existence, futile to articulate with words and sounds. This is the point of no return.

And when one reaches the singularity, the impossible happens.

Sadist

As one gets closer to the singularity of E3, one experiences the time/space distortion from its immense gravitational pull. One will witness irregular, unusual events of increasing frequency, each more bizarre and confusing than the last, seemingly devoid of logic and reason, and detached from reality. Eventually, at approximately one week from the singularity, one passes the event horizon, and will from then on experience indescribable, unfathomable events and non-events, released from the bondages of the known laws of physics that dictate our existence, futile to articulate with words and sounds. This is the point of no return.

Sanity kicks in?

wsippel

Banned
Wsippel confirmed that it's using ni-fi (nintendo's wireless solution most commonly used in ds-ds/3ds-3ds communication)
I wouldn't call it "confirmation". TLS Singapore lists the system as Bluetooth and 802.11x equipment, so it seems to be WLAN (Bluetooth doesn't have the required bandwidth and there's no other wireless standard mentioned), and I guess they'd drop the TCP/IP layer to keep latencies down, like they do with Ni-Fi.

Star Fox – Metroid: Fusion Saga?

lol

I can't see it, myself, and I REALLY don't see how those universes mesh together outside of Smash Bros.

Seems more of a fanboy wet dream than anything that can be a quality title.

What kind of fan would want this exactly? Sounds worse than goddamn Shadow the Hedgehog with guns.

HylianTom

Banned

Okay, I've already watched enough Twilight Zone for this week (one episode each night, followed by an episode of Alfred Hitchcock), and yet you have me wanting to do a marathon here.

Actually, I'd love to see a game made with the themes, mood, and ideas of the Twilight Zone. It could be a Zack & Wiki-style puzzle/adventure game, perhaps. hmm..
225px-The_Scary_Door.jpg

tkscz

To try to be even more clear, with a new info in it:

- My sources told me there is a huge amount of the total memory (at least 512MB) that they can't tap from for their games. They are developing their titles since a moment now, with X amount of the Y total system memory, whereas another pool of it, Z, is not available at all for them. I was told back then that this Z was for the system features, it INCLUDES the OS, the operating system, the "windows" of the Wii U, that will be loaded in the memory when you switch on the console, but it doesn't constitute ALL what Z is, i've heard a lot of things about multi-tasking, the possibility to store your progression in games (so the system must store quickly where you are, etc.), go do other things in the interface, then switch back when you paused.

Concretely, the OS could have a size of let's say 200MB, but there will still be 300MB not available for developers because Nintendo, in a v4 dev kit context (so it could change), need this room for the system functions, features.

- Another source, that you know well lherre ( :) ) told me, and this is the new tidbit, that the OS is stored in a specific flash, different than the other flash memory that will be built-in the system for downloading, saves, etc. Like a lot of other platforms actually (they need a specific type of flash dedicated for the OS, the firmware upgrades, etc.). The size of this flash seems to be 512MB. Obviously, it doesn't mean the OS is 512mb, and that it will occupy 512MB once loaded in the RAM memory, because 1) the OS surely won't occupy 512MB and 2) the system won't need to load everything on the RAM memory Again, they could have decided on this amount in advance and being large for it because the OS wasn't fleshed out at all at the time. The OS could actually take let's say 200 MB (i don't know it's amount) of this space. The fact is that i don't think we've ever seen such room reserved for OS storage, so it's clearly another hint, in addition to the first info, to a bigger operating system than on the other home systems, rich in features, in functions (functions that requires another space in the RAM memory, like the aforementioned multi-tasking).

I hope i was crystal-clear :)

This only solidifies my speculation, for me, that the WiiU has 2.5 - 3 GBs of RAM (yeah I went there). Where the devs aren't really making games that go beyond this gen right now, I would say for their games they are using 512MBs of RAM, (X) out of the 1.5 - 2 GBs (Y) available to them. While about another 512MBs is off limits to them.

lherre

Accurate
To try to be even more clear, with a new info in it:

- My sources told me there is a huge amount of the total memory (at least 512MB) that they can't tap from for their games. They are developing their titles since a moment now, with X amount of the Y total system memory, whereas another pool of it, Z, is not available at all for them. I was told back then that this Z was for the system features, it INCLUDES the OS, the operating system, the "windows" of the Wii U, that will be loaded in the memory when you switch on the console, but it doesn't constitute ALL what Z is, i've heard a lot of things about multi-tasking, the possibility to store your progression in games (so the system must store quickly where you are, etc.), go do other things in the interface, then switch back when you paused.

Concretely, the OS could have a size of let's say 200MB, but there will still be 300MB not available for developers because Nintendo, in a v4 dev kit context (so it could change), need this room for the system functions, features.

- Another source, that you know well lherre ( :) ) told me, and this is the new tidbit, that the OS is stored in a specific flash, different than the other flash memory that will be built-in the system for downloading, saves, etc. Like a lot of other platforms actually (they need a specific type of flash dedicated for the OS, the firmware upgrades, etc.). The size of this flash seems to be 512MB. Obviously, it doesn't mean the OS is 512mb, and that it will occupy 512MB once loaded in the RAM memory, because 1) the OS surely won't occupy 512MB and 2) the system won't need to load everything on the RAM memory Again, they could have decided on this amount in advance and being large for it because the OS wasn't fleshed out at all at the time. The OS could actually take let's say 200 MB (i don't know it's amount) of this space. The fact is that i don't think we've ever seen such room reserved for OS storage, so it's clearly another hint, in addition to the first info, to a bigger operating system than on the other home systems, rich in features, in functions (functions that requires another space in the RAM memory, like the aforementioned multi-tasking).

I hope i was crystal-clear :)

I think is only a misunderstand, not important.

Wii U won't have 3 gb ... (for the above post).

Paul Gale

Thanks for the rumor but I just can't see what's the point of mixing up the two universes?

If the reason is to include different gameplay styles, it just doesn't make sense since both - on their own - can have flying/land sections.

Story-wise makes even more less sense.

Just a new STARFOX would suffice - why drag Metroid in this?

Yeah you're welcome, thanks for reading it and giving your input. I'd be perfectly content if Retro Studios made JUST one badass Star Fox game and that's it. I don't see the "need" to join the two, unless someone there really thought it was a good idea and a way to try something new to two series that on their own normally don't produce epic sales like a Mario or Smash Bros. does.

If true, perhaps it should be called "Fusion: Star Fox - Metroid" and if it does well, Nintendo could do other Fusion titles like "Fusion: Mario - Donkey Kong" and "Fusion: Pokemon - Fire Emblem".

EatChildren

Okay, I've already watched enough Twilight Zone for this week (one episode each night, followed by an episode of Alfred Hitchcock), and yet you have me wanting to do a marathon here.

Actually, I'd love to see a game made with the themes, mood, and ideas of the Twilight Zone. It could be a Zack & Wiki-style puzzle/adventure game, perhaps. hmm..

Alan Wake is great for this. There's various TVs throughout the game that if you turn on play episodes of a show called 'Night Springs', the game universe's satirical take on The Twilight Zone.

Sadist

"This...cant be happening!"
That sentence makes me giddy

What if that Metroid x Star Fox is true; Nintendo shows a fanfiction trailer which is really really bad and the whole audience falls into silence. During the trailer the screen gets all distorted and a man's voice fills the theatre exclaiming "This... can't be happening!" All of a sudden Reggie comes up with a giant smirk and tells us: "Nah, none of that stupid stuff is true. Retro is actually making Eternal Darkness 2, we just wanted to make you sweat fear"

Meanwhile Reggie turns into Pious Augustus and the crowd goes wild

TrueBlue

Yeah you're welcome, thanks for reading it and giving your input. I'd be perfectly content if Retro Studios made JUST one badass Star Fox game and that's it. I don't see the "need" to join the two, unless someone there really thought it was a good idea and a way to try something new to two series that on their own normally don't produce epic sales like a Mario or Smash Bros. does.

If true, perhaps it should be called "Fusion: Star Fox - Metroid" and if it does well, Nintendo could do other Fusion titles like "Fusion: Mario - Donkey Kong" and "Fusion: Pokemon - Fire Emblem".

I would love to see a "Super Mario Bros x Donkey Kong Country". Think it would be a lot more natural than Star Fox and Metroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom