• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The Komayto-Metroid connection means my Kid Icarus - Metroid - Star Fox connection theory is plausible!

Hell, just make them coexist with each other with other Nintendo worlds and have them do some fighting, as if it's a smash of worlds!

Luigiv

I don't see you could bring something like opportunity cost into this. There's no telling whether or not they've been given a higher budget because of the massiveness of this "project".

Mixing two incompatible play styles together will divide attention, there's no way around that. No amount of money thrown at a project like that will fix that because in the end you're going to need a single director dividing his attention between both sides of the project if you want any sort of semblance of continuity.

Of course you could hire two complete teams each working on there side of the project but then it ceases to be a single project and you have to start asking yourself; why not do the much, much more sensible thing and make two different games instead without the retarded nonsensical crossover?

Terrible idea is terrible, end of story.

If Nintendo were to do a Metroid, Starfox crossover, they wouldn't just stitch together the two completely different games in a haphazard manner and call it a day. They would come up with a single gameplay approach, that makes sense for both franchises, and then they'd build a game around that. That's the sensible way of doing a crossover.

You also completely ignored my comment about good taste. But I guess that makes sense, there's no defence on your part there.

Anyway, what's all this talk about "if it's true". There is no "if", the rumour is just a fanboy wet dream, nothing more.

I can kinda see the logic - Other M was lacklustre received, Star Fox is a not big seller. Combine the two and hope for a better reception/sales?

If it's real, and works, it'll be interesting to see if we get any other 'fusion' titles.

May finally lead the way for that Mario & Sonic platformer!

Darryl

Banned
Of course you could hire two complete teams each working on there side of the project but then it ceases to be a single project and you have to start asking yourself; why not do the much, much more sensible thing and make two different games instead without the retarded nonsensical crossover?

I don't think neither the Star Fox games nor the Metroid games really sell enough to warrant an extremely large budget AAA title. They aren't really system sellers. If you combine the two, though, it makes far more sense.

You also completely ignored my comment about good taste. But I guess that makes sense, there's no defence on your part there.

I can't say whether or not my taste is as developed as yours, as I've only been a minor fan of both of these series. I've played Metroid 2 & Prime 1, Star Fox 64 & Adventures, and I can completely imagine all of these coming together. I've thought about it myself before.

Peru

I don't think neither the Star Fox games nor the Metroid games really sell enough to warrant an extremely large budget AAA title. They aren't really system sellers. If you combine the two, though, it makes far more sense.

The ones selling the most don't need a large budget (2D Mario, Mario Kart) so I do think a large budget will be spent on something that's bound to sell less than those.

Don't see what this fusion thing would add to anything if they're just separate gameplay entities anyway. Samus needs to stay isolated. And on rails shooting gives me nothing.

Nibel

I still like Other M >.>

It's not my favourite Metroid, but it's very enjoyable...

Yup; they may have destroyed the image of Samus with this game :lol but the game itself was pretty good in my opinion. Not the best Metroid, but enjoyable like you said.

wsippel

Banned
It doesn't, as the two IPs in question don't fit together. At all. You piss off either the Starfox or the Metroid fans. I'm a huge Metroid and Retro fan, and that's exactly why I wouldn't touch such an abomination with a ten foot pole.

Except that you would scare away all the people who would have bought each game as a standalone title, because it's a ridiculous idea.

tkscz

Now would be the time for me to pitch Marvel vs Nintendo:

Samus vs Iron Man!
Fox McCloud vs Rocket Raccoon!
Gannon vs Thanos!
Link vs The Black Knight!
Mario vs Spider-Ham!

The possibilities are endless!

Mario would crush spider-ham. Mario has like Superman level super strength.

Deguello

The only way this sort of crossover would be feasible IMO is if it were to come from an Eastern developer. It's not out of any sort of elitism, it's just that most of the best crossover games come from Eastern devs. Hell they have a whole series devoted to nothing but this sort of thing (Super Robot Wars).

However Western devs have not really been able to get away with these sorts of nerdy crossovers. The best I can recall is probably Aliens vs. Predator.

This isn't even such a strange crossover idea, with recent examples of strange crossovers include Professor Layton with Phoenix Wright and Pokemon with romanticized versions of historical Japanese Warlords and Warladies being even more oddball than two series about space fighting.

However, I highly doubt this is true, as, if Nintendo wants Retro to be a showcase developer for technical prowess and western tastes, they can't have their initial flagship game be some sort of crossover.

Now would be the time for me to pitch Marvel vs Nintendo:

Samus vs Iron Man!
Fox McCloud vs Rocket Raccoon!
Gannon vs Thanos!
Link vs The Black Knight!
Mario vs Spider-Ham!

The possibilities are endless!

I'm all in if the Marvel side is as obscure of that. Replace Iron Man with the Destroyer or something.

z0m3le

Banned
Maybe the truth is that Retro is working on two games: One Star Fox and one Metriod.

Or maybe it's not a crossover, but rather a Star Fox game with Metroid Prime-like land gameplay and setting.

Yeah, this is the only way I see it happening, nothing else really makes sense from Nintendo's standpoint, just a little over 2 weeks from now and we will know, so I'm going to ignore this rumor.

ugoo18

Mario would crush spider-ham. Mario has like Superman level super strength.

No

Superman does this

Superboytowingplanets.jpg

Mario does not

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So, we've got Randy verbally pitchforking the Wii U's hardware into next generation (though you could question what Randy's conception of next generation is) and this absurd rumor from the Paul Gale Network, of a Metroid/Star Fox mash-up. Anything else juicy?

Tomorrow there's the "Bonus Round Episode 606 - Nintendo E3 2012 Preview" on GameTrailers. That's something I've been looking forward to. Not because I expect Geoff & Co. to exactly praise the Wii U, but to witness a potential backlash if their opinions are of a "Wii U is weaker than Xbox 360" caliber. But Pachter hasn't rocked the boat too much lately and has actually provided some good remarks on Wii U. I do hope the coverage is overall intriguing and actually calls forth some qualitative discussion.

Sadist

Rösti;38014377 said:
So, we've got Randy verbally pitchforking the Wii U's hardware into next generation (though you could question what Randy's conception of next generation is) and this absurd rumor from the Paul Gale Network, of a Metroid/Star Fox mash-up. Anything else juicy?

Tomorrow there's the "Bonus Round Episode 606 - Nintendo E3 2012 Preview" on GameTrailers. That's something I've been looking forward to. Not because I expect Geoff & Co. to exactly praise the Wii U, but to witness a potential backlash if their opinions are of a "Wii U is weaker than Xbox 360" caliber. But Pachter hasn't rocked the boat too much lately and has actually provided some good remarks on Wii U. I do hope the coverage is overall intriguing and actually calls forth some qualitative discussion.
I chuckled. When does it air?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Rösti;38014377 said:

The only interesting tidbits I would think possible are vague hints about 3rd party software.

Maxrunner

Rösti;38014377 said:

who's Randy?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly I have a feeling people are more surprised and appalled at the idea because it's more to do with furries rather than the oddity of the crossover.

If you ask me I'm more appalled that people assume Sonic fandom is equatable to furries. Sonic fandom is worse. Much worse.

Honestly I have a feeling people are more surprised and appalled at the idea because it's more to do with furries rather than the oddity of the crossover.

If you ask me I'm more appalled that people assume Sonic fandom is equatable to furries. Sonic fandom is worse. Much worse.
No. It has to do with the fact that Star Fox and Metroid are completely incompatible as franchises.
It's like asking for a Sly Cooper and Gears of War cross over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom