• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
fyi, Nintendo's part of the Bonus Round E3 Preview should be up at 3PM EST tomorrow. That's when the other 2 came up.

No. It has to do with the fact that Star Fox and Metroid are completely incompatible as franchises.
It's like asking for a Sly Cooper and Gears of War cross over.

Zvp8N.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
fyi, Nintendo's part of the Bonus Round E3 Preview should be up at 3PM EST tomorrow. That's when the other 2 came up.
Oh, it's EST, eh, I thought it was PST. Thanks for clearing it up.

Sadist

Hopefully Nintendo will have some showfloor megatons. 2010 had the Ocarina of Time remake for 3DS. So awesome.

In Europe time? 8]

BY2K

Membero Americo
By the by, Paul has been wrong before.

Remember the TMNT: Manhattan Crisis game by Rocksteady? That wasn't true. At all. Rocksteady shot down the rumour rather quickly.

The only recent thing he got right was Playstation All-Star.

test_account

XP-39C²
Rösti;38014377 said:
So, we've got Randy verbally pitchforking the Wii U's hardware into next generation (though you could question what Randy's conception of next generation is) and this absurd rumor from the Paul Gale Network, of a Metroid/Star Fox mash-up. Anything else juicy?
I wonder if he talks about the WiiU in this way, trying to be the 3rd party to get for WiiU at launch/launch window.

EDIT: I think that what he says is true, but it is not often that you see someone basically only promoting one SKU of their game (unless there is some payed stuff, like exclusive adverticement for Call of Duty on Xbox 360 only). Or maybe that is just my impression. Nothing wrong with what he is doing either way though.

z0m3le

Banned

Remember the TMNT: Manhattan Crisis game by Rocksteady? That wasn't true. At all. Rocksteady shot down the rumour rather quickly.

He also did say that this was a rumor and to take it as such because he couldn't get confirmation.

tkscz

Oh it's incompatible all right but I'm simply going by the most common responses.

Yeah I saw that too. And story wise, how are their universes incompatible? No seriously, someone tell me. StarFox was never this light hearted universe everyone seems to remember. Assault was pretty harsh the and story of command could get pretty dark. Not to mention they all start with war.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I saw that too. And story wise, how are their universes incompatible? No seriously, someone tell me. StarFox was never this light hearted universe everyone seems to remember. Assault was pretty harsh the and story of command could get pretty dark. Not to mention they all start with war.

And even if you look at 64 it's pretty damn harsh too. I guess people just think of animals in ships they think it's funny.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Those are more after show floor megatons. Miyamoto's round table will likely have some sort of exclusive stuff.

2008 was Pikmin 3.
2009 was the first Skyward Sword artwork.
2010 was the Ocarina of Time remake.
And 2011 was Pikmin 3 moving to Wii U.

Wonder what will it be this year.

Nibel

You guys think we can get this thread locked before E3 starts?

This one is only two weeks old and has over 15,000 posts already. We'll probably get another by our beloved GameplayWhore and that one will fill up even faster than this one - after that we'll probably get another one which will co-exist with the Nintendo E3 2012 Conference thread which I heard is going to be incredible in terms of awesomeness (my sources likes baguettes)

BY2K

Membero Americo
We can probably get it locked today, but if you are talking about 20,000 posts, I would say monday is the latest, especially with stuff like GT's bonus round to talk about tomorrow.

Yup, that's gonna bring in a lot of post.

Will probably double the size of the Bonus Round E3 Preview Thread.

tkscz

And even if you look at 64 it's pretty damn harsh too. I guess people just think of animals in ships they think it's funny.

Not to mention Metroid has had it's light hearted moments. And the story of Other M just can't be taken serious at all. The melodrama is enough to surpass anything star fox has done. THE BABY THE BABY THE BABY.

Roo

No news about Killer Rabbids Freaks From Outer Space? But here is an oldie from pre-production.

rabbids5rxwf.jpg

It looks great!
I remember you said a couple months ago that you were thinking about posting the full picture or not depending on rumors were running at that time. (I don't remember your exact words tho :p)

test_account

XP-39C²
I never understood how this was such a negative for Nintendo. Reggie could sell me two cans and a string as an online gaming chat device.
I suspect that he (Geoff) sometimes act like this, trying to get Reggie wined up. Geoff asks though questions sometimes, so it isnt anything more to it.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

mi español es muy limitado
like MUY MUY MUY

Rösti;38014377 said:
So, we've got Randy verbally pitchforking the Wii U's hardware into next generation (though you could question what Randy's conception of next generation is) and this absurd rumor from the Paul Gale Network, of a Metroid/Star Fox mash-up. Anything else juicy?.

There's a tidbit that i think wasn't heard before, thanks to another source:

The OS is stored in a specific flash, different than the other flash memory that will be built-in the system for downloading, saves, etc. Like a lot of other platforms actually (they need a specific type of flash dedicated for the OS, the firmware upgrades, etc.). The size of this flash seems to be 512MB. Obviously, it doesn't mean the OS is 512mb, and that it will occupy 512MB once loaded in the RAM memory, because 1) the OS surely won't take 512MB and 2) the system won't need to load everything on the RAM memory. Again, they could have decided on this amount in advance and being large for it because the OS wasn't fleshed out at all at the time. The OS could actually take let's say 200 MB (i don't know it's amount) of this space. The fact is that i don't think we've ever seen such room reserved for OS storage, so it's clearly another hint, in addition to the first info, to a bigger operating system than on the other home systems, rich in features, in functions (functions that requires another space in the RAM memory, like the aforementioned multi-tasking).

It seems the OS won't be stored in a part of the flash memory pool, like 0,2/0,3GB of the apparently 8GB of flash, like it could have been, but will have its own dedicated flash chip, different in type than the 8GB.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Something tells me Nintendo will still use blocks for memory...

'Blocks' is just an easy way of communicating to people how much space they have, and how big content is. Everything is still technically measured in KB/MB when it comes down to it.

Oh it's that guy. I thought the name sounded familiar.

wsippel

Banned
Something tells me Nintendo will still use blocks for memory...
Who cares, doesn't really affect anyone. And it's not like bytes are any clearer these days, with Apple and storage manufacturers using Si units and Microsoft and Sony using wrongly declared binary units (a Microsoft "Megabyte" is actually a "Mebibyte").

Who cares, doesn't really affect anyone. And it's not like bytes are any clearer these days, with Apple and storage manufacturers using Si units and Microsoft and Sony using wrongly declared binary units (a Microsoft "Megabyte" is actually a "Mebibyte").
If I'm downloading a retail game over night, I'd like to know how many gigs it is and not have to do mental transformations to work out how long it will take to download 28693.2 blocks

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
What's so special about this bonus round thing?
Shane Satterfield apparently knows things, and commented a few weeks ago that the Wii U launch line-up is going to surprise and impress a lot of people. He'll be on the show and could potentially say something interesting.

wsippel

Banned
If I'm downloading a retail game over night, I'd like to know how many gigs it is and not have to do mental transformations to work out how long it will take to download 28693.2 blocks
The system also shows you the free storage in blocks. It's an abstract value either way, you don't ever have to convert anything. In fact, it's even worse with bytes: 8GiB don't fit on an 8GB storage device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom