• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

He had to have told him. He says he doesn't like the series the game is in.

I was going to say CoD Blops 2, but it seems like Dash Kappei might enjoy those games after some google searching, although he seems to be disappointed in the Blops 2. Creepy GAF has arrived.

Seeing as he's from the UK my initial thought was Rockstar :p

Emitan

The only games using Wii controls will be exclusives. Why support it when the tablet is basically a traditional controller with something extra.

ffdgh

I'm glad that I'm hearing more and more positive feedback about the controller. I expected as much though.

I think a lot of you expecting games to use Wii controls are going to be disappointed though. I think Nintendo is going all in with the tablet.

I hope nintendo will let the wiimote be usable for the internet browser again tho.

Izick

The only games using Wii controls will be exclusives. Why support it when the tablet is basically a traditional controller with something extra.

I'm saying maybe not even that. Maybe in really rare cases, but there will always be regular controls as a back up.

I hope nintendo will let the wiimote be usable for the internet browser again tho.

But now you have the internet browser on a touch-screen tablet.

I'm glad that I'm hearing more and more positive feedback about the controller. I expected as much though.

I think a lot of you expecting games to use Wii controls are going to be disappointed though. I think Nintendo is going all in with the tablet.

Well, Nintendo will probably give developers free reign as to what they use and not surprisingly, everyone will jump at the chance to use the new "toy".

Developers outright abandoning Remotes for FPSs would be really disappointing though as besides Mouse/Keyboard, nothing is better.

antonz

Aside from the circle pads the Controller is probably the one thing that was recieved really well by the gaming press last year. With the tweaks I am sure they will be even happier while the internet warriors will be like wow thats so big and looks so uncomfortable even though people with hands on say its great and not uncomfortable at all.

Would still be cool to have the option of a pointer in shooters.

Then again, if it's heavily online-based you might not want to have a bunch of people owning the rest by using the Wiimote. So online-wise I don't know where to stand. Single player should allow for any and all options.

ffdgh

I'm saying maybe not even that. Maybe in really rare cases, but there will always be regular controls as a back up.

But now you have the internet browser on a touch-screen tablet.

oh yeah forgot about that.
personally I'd like to use it as a keyboard lol

Izick

Well, Nintendo will probably give developers free reign as to what they use and not surprisingly, everyone will jump at the chance to use the new "toy".

Developers outright abandoning Remotes for FPSs would be really disappointing though as besides Mouse/Keyboard, nothing is better.

I know, but Pitchford sounded really enthusiastic about the controller, plus, they know that 100% of Wii U's (in theory) have the tablet, while who knows how many have the nunchuck.

oh yeah forgot about that.
personally I'd like to use it as a keyboard lol

Would be great for sending messages to friends. Easy to do when in-game, and no attachment required.

Let's not forget that the Controller has a freaking sensor bar on it. If that's not Nintendo wanting to keep their options open, I don't know what is. Hopefully a good number of developers will give the option to use Wiimote+nunchuck.

Izick

The guys making Killer Freaks seemed to be fond of the new controller for their game as well.

I have no room to speak on this, but I wonder why any developer would wan to waste resources or time on developing nunchuck controls when the tablet must be used. It just seems like it would splinter the market. I don't want to be a debbie downer for the Wiimote fans, I'm just thinking that it's compatible so that Wii games are compatible with the system, as it adds another selling point.

Is everybody forgetting local multiplayer? We are still wondering if the system can handle 2 Upads. How else is local multiplayer going to work without the wiimote? Even if WiiU could easily handle 4 Upads the controller's price tag would pose a huge problem. How could publishers expect a significant portion of WiiU owners to buy multiple Upads when they are obviously going to be far more costly than what we're used to paying for extra controllers? Skip local multiplayer altogether? :(

Emitan

I'm assuming they will give you the option to use tablets with the screens disabled. BUT THIS IS NINTENDO AND THAT MAKES SENSE SO PROBABLY NOT.

Izick

Is everybody forgetting local multiplayer? We are still wondering if the system can handle 2 Upads. How else is local multiplayer going to work without the wiimote? Even if WiiU could easily handle 4 Upads the controller's price tag would pose a huge problem. How could publishers expect a significant portion of WiiU owners to buy multiple Upads when they are obviously going to be far more costly than what we're used to paying for extra controllers? Skip local multiplayer altogether? :(

Regular controllers.

I'm assuming they will give you the option to use tablets with the screens disabled. BUT THIS IS NINTENDO AND THAT MAKES SENSE SO PROBABLY NOT.

It might make sense, but the only reason you'd want it is if your friends all have a Upad of their own, because I don't think anyone would buy 4 only to use two of them without screens.

MarkusRJR

The best case scenario for the Wii U is that the power gap is similar to the PS2 vs. Xbox/GC. A noticeable difference whenever games are built for those platforms, but not a generational gap difference. The big difference will be in the amount of ram that the new consoles have. Several devs are really pushing Sony and MS to cram a lot of ram into those consoles.
I'm hoping for a Dreamcast vs. Xbox/GC situation next gen. I'm keeping my expectations in check for the off chance that Nintendo underpowers their console this gen too. I'd honestly be fine with 360/PS3 level graphics for another gen. Anything more is a bonus to me.

Mithos

ucontrolleranimation.gif

Actually much better looking then the official one, I like it.

My guess is that we get a Wavebird-esque controller with dual, clicable sticks and a few other modifications.

I'd like to see a Photoshop of the Wavebird controller in the style of the Wii U controller. Give it that color scheme with +/- buttons, the same analog sticks, and d-pad. I think it would look sexy.

How so? I can see myself scanning stuff with the touchscreen.
Actually, given things like that Shield Pose tech demo at E3 2011, I can see this working pretty well. You play with the controller, but when you want to scan something, you hold the controller up between you and the TV, and it'll automatically start scanning whatever you're aiming at.

I just dont' think Nintendo cares about the multiple SKU thing, it's confusing to consumers who will potentially be confused enough as it is with what is different abpout the Wii U than the Wii:p

I would be surprised if Nintendo ever did the multiple SKU thang, it'd be unprecedented for them.
Not *totally* unprecedented. Think back to the days of yore, a simpler time when Nintendo sold FOUR Skus at once. The NES launched with the Control Deck (two controllers, Mario), Action Set (add a Light Gun and Duck Hunt), Power Set (add an exercise pad and Track Meet), and a Deluxe Set (replace the exercise pad/game with the robot and Gyromite).

Personally, I want Nintendo to release two Skus: the normal one, and one that replaces the disc drive with a lot more storage (all digital, baby!)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I'd like to see a Photoshop of the Wavebird controller in the style of the Wii U controller. Give it that color scheme with +/- buttons, the same analog sticks, and d-pad. I think it would look sexy.
Google some of the Project Cafe mock-ups or even the Gamecube keyboard to get an idea.

Not *totally* unprecedented. Think back to the days of yore, a simpler time when Nintendo sold FOUR Skus at once. The NES launched with the Control Deck (two controllers, Mario), Action Set (add a Light Gun and Duck Hunt), Power Set (add an exercise pad and Track Meet), and a Deluxe Set (replace the exercise pad/game with the robot and Gyromite).

Personally, I want Nintendo to release two Skus: the normal one, and one that replaces the disc drive with a lot more storage (all digital, baby!)

Yeah, I knew someone would get me on that shit but I just don't see it happening for them, at least not at launch or soon after.

You make it sound like they couldn't do 'new' USB controllers, or wireless controllers.
One of the big advantages of existing controllers, is the fact that almost 100 million homes already own them. If Nintendo makes new controllers, they are removing that huge advantage.

But I think regardless, the system is going to be packed with one Wii-U screen, one Wii Remote, and one Nunchuk. If they don't then developers won't make much use of the "assymetrical gameplay" that Nintendo was pushing hard last E3, because publishers are morons and assume that if it doesn't come with the system, nobody will own it.

How rare is it though, Poo? I paid for half of a copy that my friend eventually traded in without my knowledge.

It's not THAT rare but the asking prices on those silly sites is fairly steep.

Or steep enough for me to taunt friends that didn't get the game before Nintendo discontinued it, muhahahahahaha.

I guess sometimes "limited edition" means just that.

My big point is the Upad will simply not cut it for local multiplayer because of technical and cost related reasons. Nintendo's only solution as far as we know is the wiimote and its classic controller. The obvious advantage here is millions of people already own these controllers. The wiimote/nunchuck in particular is the standard combo in all original wiis so it seems natural any game using the CC may as well use the more standard wii control option as well.

I don't doubt Nintendo could see some big $$$ possibilities in trying to sell people new dual analog controllers that they shouldn't need if they already own a CC.

Izick

One of the big advantages of existing controllers, is the fact that almost 100 million homes already own them. If Nintendo makes new controllers, they are removing that huge advantage.

But I think regardless, the system is going to be packed with one Wii-U screen, one Wii Remote, and one Nunchuk. If they don't then developers won't make much use of the "assymetrical gameplay" that Nintendo was pushing hard last E3, because publishers are morons and assume that if it doesn't come with the system, nobody will own it.

But, there's always money to be made with new controllers. That, and let's be honest here, local multiplayer isn't important to developers as it used to be.

It's not THAT rare but the asking prices on those silly sites is fairly steep.

Or steep enough for me to taunt friends that didn't get the game before Nintendo discontinued it, muhahahahahaha.

I guess sometimes "limited edition" means just that.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, why did they trade it in!? I wanted to play it and I knew it was going to be worth something some day. Fuck!

I leave the thread for one day and final controller design gets leaked, there's rumours of a Metroid Starfox crossover (seriously, what on earth?), uh...anything else I missed?

Anyways, updated design is awesome, love the sticks and thicker design for more grip, hopefully the d-pad will be comfy/responsive too.

Roo

I was looking at the new controller picture again and I noticed something.
the mic just got smaller or it's just me? :O
it looks like something you could do with a needle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom