• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erethian

But, there's always money to be made with new controllers. That, and let's be honest here, local multiplayer isn't important to developers as it used to be.

Asymmetric gameplay seems like a real simple idea that I could see a lot of developers utilising to some extent, even if in most cases it's just a minigame.

In fact I expect there to be a relatively large amount of FPS titles that do what Killer Freaks is doing.

Asymmetric gameplay seems like a real simple idea that I could see a lot of developers utilising to some extent, even if in most cases it's just a minigame.

In fact I expect there to be a relatively large amount of FPS titles that do what Killer Freaks is doing.
I don't. Especially now that Nintendo will have a working online.

Izick

But there's so many problems that arise if developers use the Wiimote. Is it an unfair advantage in MP games? Does it get tiring after long sessions? What about turning and other things?

I'm pretty certain that they'll announce regular, dual-sticked controllers for the Wii U, and I'm guessing that while Wiimotes may be optional, they'll be used in only a few games, always with the traditional controller style being an option. I'm guessing if Black Ops II and other launch FPS's doesn't use the Wiimote at all, then other developers will take notice as well.

It just creates too many problems. It's simpler to just sell new controllers, plus that's more money. The tablet is the focus, and the secondary controllers don't detract from it.

I just wanted to say again how amazingly awesome the updated controller looks, the sticks, the sweet new home button, the bigger grips in the updated patent, everything. And the d-pad looks like it wlll be more comfy and responsive too, I'm sick of the flat, skinny d-pad design we've had since the GB SPA, I want a d-pad that feels soft and smooth like the SNES.

Really hoping the Star Fox/Metroid rumour isn't true. As someone else said it could turn out like Rogue Squadron 3's botched mix of flight and land missions. I'm sure Retro would make a much better game than RS 3, but a new IP would be so much better.

But there's so many problems that arise if developers use the Wiimote. Is it an unfair advantage in MP games? .

Nothing is unfair if everyone has access to it all the same.

I guess your point is the people that want to use the new cool controller are screwed but it wouldn't be any different than Remote versus Classic Controller and that didn't stop games from having both options.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
*Looks back 24 HRS. @ thread.*

18 pages in 24 hours. Wow, not bad for one day!

Erethian

I don't. Especially now that Nintendo will have a working online.

Depends.

I do think that, yeah, you're going to see a lot of online modes where one guy is a commander or in an RTS view or whatever using the touchscreen to control the action. Makes me wish for a Battlefield that brings back the commander mode from BF2. Or a Natural Selection on consoles.

Orayn

*Looks back 24 HRS. @ thread.*

18 pages in 24 hours. Wow, not bad for one day!

I'm depressed because we're probably going to need a sixth thread by the time E3 hits and this one's title is so perfect.

...Unless the new one is "Two Minutes to Midnight."

Izick

Nothing is unfair if everyone has access to it all the same.

I guess your point is the people that want to use the new cool controller are screwed but it wouldn't be any different than Remote versus Classic Controller and that didn't stop many games from having both options.

That is what I meant Poo, but the difference is that the Wiimote was the focus on the Wii, and the classic controller was just a secondary thing for weirdos. This time, the tablet is the main focus, and regular controllers aren't even hampered that much (all they are missing is a touch screen) compared to the Wii; and Wiimotes are just some nice option for developers if they choose, but the tablet, and thus regular controls, seems like it's mandatory no matter what.

But there's so many problems that arise if developers use the Wiimote. Is it an unfair advantage in MP games? Does it get tiring after long sessions? What about turning and other things?

I'm pretty certain that they'll announce regular, dual-sticked controllers for the Wii U, and I'm guessing that while Wiimotes may be optional, they'll be used in only a few games, always with the traditional controller style being an option. I'm guessing if Black Ops II and other launch FPS's doesn't use the Wiimote at all, then other developers will take notice as well.

It just creates too many problems. It's simpler to just sell new controllers, plus that's more money. The tablet is the focus, and the secondary controllers don't detract from it.
The Wii Remote is clearly the best FPS controller on consoles. No, it doesn't get any more tiring after long sessions than playing on PC with a mouse, and turning isn't an issue, you point the Remote to the side to turn. When it's used best in an FPS, don't think of the Remote as a light gun - think of it like a mouse. Moving the Remote looks around, moving it towards the edge of the screen turns you, the further to the side you point it the faster it turns you. Then you use the Nunchuk for moving forward and back, and strafing side to side. Works amazingly well.

As for "regular, dual-sticked controllers", they already have them - Classic Controllers. There's no way in hell Nintendo's going to invent new controllers that are basically the same as the Wii ones, because of that whole 90 million thing, and the fact that there is no problem with the Motion Plus/Nunchuk/Classic Controller combo that is currently in people's homes. Nintendo doesn't make their money from selling controllers, they make their money from selling games, and from third party developers selling games.

Izick

I'm depressed because we're probably going to need a sixth thread by the time E3 hits and this one's title is so perfect.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier, For Real This Time

That is what I meant Poo, but the difference is that the Wiimote was the focus on the Wii, and the classic controller was just a secondary thing for weirdos. This time, the tablet is the main focus, and regular controllers aren't even hampered that much (all they are missing is a touch screen) compared to the Wii; and Wiimotes are just some nice option for developers if they choose, but the tablet, and thus regular controls, seems like it's mandatory no matter what.

I'm just pissy because I don't wan to see the end of the Remote for FPSs.

As for other genres, I won't miss it but I don't know how good this new controller can be for FPSs.

I'm not a big fan of dual analog in FPSs.

If things had went as planned the titles could have been...

The Wii U Speculation Thread IV: A New Hype

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Rumors Strike Back

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: Return of the E3

or something along those lines. :p

Izick

The Wii Remote is clearly the best FPS controller on consoles. No, it doesn't get any more tiring after long sessions than playing on PC with a mouse, and turning isn't an issue, you point the Remote to the side to turn. When it's used best in an FPS, don't think of the Remote as a light gun - think of it like a mouse. Moving the Remote looks around, moving it towards the edge of the screen turns you, the further to the side you point it the faster it turns you. Then you use the Nunchuk for moving forward and back, and strafing side to side. Works amazingly well.

As for "regular, dual-sticked controllers", they already have them - Classic Controllers. There's no way in hell Nintendo's going to invent new controllers that are basically the same as the Wii ones, because of that whole 90 million thing, and the fact that there is no problem with the Motion Plus/Nunchuk/Classic Controller combo that is currently in people's homes. Nintendo doesn't make their money from selling controllers, they make their money from selling games, and from third party developers selling games.

I'm telling you, Nintendo will be happy to sell people new dual-stick controllers for 40$ or whatever, because they know that people will buy them.

Also, it may be the best method for control, but will developers, especially third party developers care? Sure, there are a lot of Wiimotes out there, but how many of those people are truly going to even transfer over to the next Nintendo console? Not all of them, that's for sure. As silly as Pachter sounds, it's likely he's on to something about a lot of casuals bailing on console gaming.

I'm just pissy because I don't wan to see the end of the Remote for FPSs.

As for other genres, I won't miss it but I don't know how good this new controller can be for FPSs.

I'm not a big fan of dual analog in FPSs.

I'm sorry Poo, but you must face the fact that you will be using dual sticks when playing as Samus in Metorid - Star Fox: Fusion.

I'm telling you, Nintendo will be happy to sell people new dual-stick controllers for 40$ or whatever, because they know that people will buy them.

Also, it may be the best method for control, but will developers, especially third party developers care? Sure, there are a lot of Wiimotes out there, but how many of those people are truly going to even transfer over to the next Nintendo console? Not all of them, that's for sure. As silly as Pachter sounds, it's likely he's on to something about a lot of casuals bailing on console gaming.
But as I said, you're going to get a Wii Remote and a Nunchuk in the box. And third parties care, otherwise they would have never supported the Classic Controller, but they did, tons of games support it.

Black Ops II is a good indicator now that you mention it. I'm rather optimistic the wiimote will still play a big role with the WiiU. If Black Ops II doesn't use the wiimote though I guess I can kiss that optimism goodbye. Treyarch has already made a great wiimote control scheme for their wii CODs in addition to supporting dual analog in the original Black Ops. To simply abandon something they should be able to so easily implement in their next shooter could be a depressing sign of things to come.

Izick

Plus, I'll admit I'm biased and I have a dog in the race. I hope to see Nintendo fully brace regular control schemes again, as I am not a fan of motion controls. Then again, I never played the best that the system had to offer. I don't even like mouse and keyboard though. I've been a dual-stick, console gamer as far back as when Halo got it right on the Xbox. I was happy with it then, and still am.

Anth0ny

Instead, Star Trek references. Like salt on the wound.

Isn't there a rumor going around that we'll see a new classic controller?

Izick

Black Ops II is a good indicator now that you mention it. I'm rather optimistic the wiimote will still play a big role with the WiiU. If Black Ops II doesn't use the wiimote though I guess I can kiss that optimism goodbye. Treyarch has already made a great wiimote control scheme for their wii CODs in addition to supporting dual analog in the original Black Ops. To simply abandon something they should be able to so easily implement in their next shooter could be a depressing sign of things to come.

I just don't think it would be healthy. CoD is all about competition, and I want the Wii U to be as viable as the 360, so having multiple control schemes kind of fucks with that.

What good is the Wii U has a great online ecosystem, Black Ops II on launch day, but nobody wants to play it?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing

What do we do at VII? "Caravan of Conjecture: A WiiU Adventure"

I want to know if it's going to be possible to still use the Wii U controller screen while using a Wii remote. Hopefully you can still have the tablet on just to use as a secondary display while controlling the game with the Wii remote.

Izick

I just watched three solid Star Trek: TNG episodes today. The one was when a Borg is captured, and then he becomes friendly, and they name it Hue; another was with the girl with the imaginary friend, then an alien went into her brain and made it real; and then the other one was where an empath-mutant is on-board and falls in love with Jean Luke Motherfucking Picard.

I have only been watching this show for a couple years now, through it's syndicated episodes on various networks, but I have to say it's amazing as everyone said it was. It's never really about space or any of that shit, it's the characters, as always, and situations (usually moral gray areas) that make the show so memorable.

...oh, shit...um...I hope that the Wii U is good.

I just don't think it would be healthy. CoD is all about competition, and I want the Wii U to be as viable as the 360, so having multiple control schemes kind of fucks with that.

What good is the Wii U has a great online ecosystem, Black Ops II on launch day, but nobody wants to play it?
Wha? PC has a bajillion control schemes, multiplayer works just fine on that. There are also PS3 games that support keyboard and mouse, multiplayer works fine in those. If you really care about it, I'm sure they'll have a mode to only match you with other people using your control scheme.

Anth0ny

Nintendo fans are crazy (this coming from one). I doubt the 720 or PS4 speculation threads will end up needing 6 threads.

I doubt MS and Sony will hold out on releasing any information for close to 12 months. Also, their franchises aren't nearly as fun to speculate about!

Even if Sony tried that shit would leak months before E3 :D

Emitan

I just watched three solid Star Trek: TNG episodes today. The one was when a Borg is captured, and then he becomes friendly, and they name it Hue; another was with the girl with the imaginary friend, then an alien went into her brain and made it real; and then the other one was where an empath-mutant is on-board and falls in love with Jean Luke Motherfucking Picard.

I have only been watching this show for a couple years now, through it's syndicated episodes on various networks, but I have to say it's amazing as everyone said it was. It's never really about space or any of that shit, it's the characters, as always, and situations (usually moral gray areas) that make the show so memorable.

...oh, shit...um...I hope that the Wii U is good.

The best sci-fi is always focused on the characters. But everyone looks at it and they're like "LOL FUCKING GREEN ALIEN CHICKS. LOL FOR NERRRRRDS"

green alien chicks are hot

What good is it to me if Wii U has a great online ecosystem, Black Ops II doesn't support the remote, and then I don't want to play it?

There's two options with multiple control options in Black Ops II:

1. Treyarch does as they did with the previous games and adds just enough aim assist to the dual analog players to make it competitive.

2. Dual analog players start getting beat. And then we actually have proof positive what is the better control method, and we can advance the genre in a way that hasn't been seen since Halo.

Personally, I prefer #2, but if Wiimote controls aren't even offered, I'm done with FPS. And that'd be a shame.

Izick

If these rumors are true, Ninendo's working on a new Classic Controller. Could just be analog triggers and click sticks, but I'd assume this is the wireless CC everyone's been clamoring for for six years.

Makes sense.

Wha? PC has a bajillion control schemes, multiplayer works just fine on that. There are also PS3 games that support keyboard and mouse, multiplayer works fine in those. If you really care about it, I'm sure they'll have a mode to only match you with other people using your control scheme.

The PC is a weird beast though, and aren't tournaments and MLG stuff regarding CoD usually on the 360 anyway? Splitting the console base when there no need just seems like a bad idea to me is all.

Christine

I think we can count on getting a new classic controller iteration, but I don't know if it'll have rumble, wireless, or motion sensing. Motion sensing seems the most likely, independent wireless the least.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Do you guys think using the wiimote for aiming in FPS games but you still have the wuc in your left hand and lap in place of the nunchuck would be comfortable? Because, if a game like BOps2 makes heavy use of the subscreen for drones and whatnot, I don't imagine they will too keen on making a control scheme that throws all those options away. Hmmm... but a coop mode where Mom controls all the drone strikes could be interesting.

AniHawk

well now we can do

the wii u speculation thread vi: the undiscovered console

Izick

The best sci-fi is always focused on the characters. But everyone looks at it and they're like "LOL FUCKING GREEN ALIEN CHICKS. LOL FOR NERRRRRDS"

green alien chicks are hot

Yeah, that's true. It's funny, I was going to make a thread about this, but I never knew how to phrase stuff, but basically I was going to ask if people wondered if Mass Effect would have been better if they didn't have any of the "galactic war" stuff. Did you play the ME game(s)?

yes they are

Persona7

Banned
Of course they are working on a new classic controller.

Some games would be extremely awful using that terrible large control deck.

Do you guys think using the wiimote for aiming in FPS games but you still have the wuc in your left hand and lap in place of the nunchuck would be comfortable? Because, if a game like BOps2 makes heavy use of the subscreen for drones and whatnot, I don't imagine they will too keen on making a control scheme that throws all those options away. Hmmm... but a coop mode where Mom controls all the drone strikes could be interesting.

I don't think it'd be as comfortable as the nunchuk.

If they add the uPad support, great, but I can't imagine it being essential. Black Ops will still be a port from the XBox360 lead platform, and it won't be essential there. I'd prefer to play Wiimote+nunchuk and call in Predator missiles, etc as I would on XBox.

If these rumors are true, Ninendo's working on a new Classic Controller. Could just be analog triggers and click sticks, but I'd assume this is the wireless CC everyone's been clamoring for for six years.

Makes sense.

Very interesting indeed...

"A redesigned Zapper and Classic Controller are being prepared but are not necessarily confirmed to make an appearance at E3."

I doubt that new zapper would just be a dual analog controller shaped into a gun :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom