• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiltz

I don't know what's more difficult to believe - the outlandish concept of Starfox +Metroid or that Retro can actually make it a surprisingly competent game. Anyway, I still refuse to believe the rumor.

Terrell

Does the d-pad and face button look bigger to anyone else on the new design?

Plus, I think the face buttons are more distanced between each other.

RIGHT HERE.

I would say Alberto is suggesting that Ono is taking all the blame for the bomb that was SFvT and is not in the good graces of capcom

Anyone with sense who saw the concept for this game could tell you IMMEDIATELY that it would bomb. Capcom should put the blame on whoever greenlit that nightmare. WHO WAS ASKING FOR THAT GAME TO HAPPEN?!

How shit like that got made while Darkstalkers languished is beyond me.

dwu8991

Banned
Do you guys think using the wiimote for aiming in FPS games but you still have the wuc in your left hand and lap in place of the nunchuck would be comfortable? Because, if a game like BOps2 makes heavy use of the subscreen for drones and whatnot, I don't imagine they will too keen on making a control scheme that throws all those options away. Hmmm... but a coop mode where Mom controls all the drone strikes could be interesting.

People are going to complain about having the tablet screen resting on your lap while holding the wii remote and nunchuck.

I don't see a problem

It only takes a few seconds to switch controls from the wii remote and nunchuk to the tablet and back again.

japtor

I want to know if it's going to be possible to still use the Wii U controller screen while using a Wii remote. Hopefully you can still have the tablet on just to use as a secondary display while controlling the game with the Wii remote.
Probably. Well that's basically what the Zapper shown does kind of.

Then there's this: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30192
I just watched three solid Star Trek: TNG episodes today. The one was when a Borg is captured, and then he becomes friendly, and they name it Hue; another was with the girl with the imaginary friend, then an alien went into her brain and made it real; and then the other one was where an empath-mutant is on-board and falls in love with Jean Luke Motherfucking Picard.

I have only been watching this show for a couple years now, through it's syndicated episodes on various networks, but I have to say it's amazing as everyone said it was. It's never really about space or any of that shit, it's the characters, as always, and situations (usually moral gray areas) that make the show so memorable.

...oh, shit...um...I hope that the Wii U is good.
If you're on Twitter you should follow @TNG_S8, "Plots from the unaired 8th season of Star Trek: The Next Generation". Otherwise Fashion It So is hilarious.

And some clips I've bookmarked (possible spoilers!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av0nRBqbrPU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLfHDUAB_Ww
rumor of the day...
megaman legends unaxed and is being made for wii u.
you wish
E.X. Troopers for Wii U?
There are no good ideas for the Metroid x Star Fox crossover. Just varying intensities of pain and misery.
What if it's a Galaxy Dogs crossover?

I doubt he'll get fired, but there is no way this was cleared through Nintendo.

Yes, but it's probably not going to be the case for some of the labeling.

Not only is he guaranteed to lose that job but he's also going to find it difficult if not impossible to work in the industry again. Once an employee breaks an NDA he can wave goodbye to his career unless he's very fortunate.

kami_sama

Not only is he guaranteed to lose that job but he's also going to find it difficult if not impossible to work in the industry again. Once an employee breaks an NDA he can wave goodbye to his career unless he's very fortunate.
Welp. It has given us insight to the new controller, but I don't like it has been possible with somebody being fired.

Nibel

Gamestop will always be there for him

And Ubisofts seems to have interest in those kind of people

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Is this Matty B00sh?

390983_287327164632748_100000664002409_998309_232070484_n.jpg

Name: Matthew Stewart
Role: Staff Writer
Twitter: @MATTYB00SH
Gamertag: MATTY B00SH
Favourite game: Exile (Commodore 64)
About: I was first introduced to computer games at a very early age when my parents bought a Commodore 64 way back in 1984. I still consider it to be the most influential piece of technology in the games industry to date and we wouldn’t be where we are now if it wasn’t for that coffee coloured box of dreams!

I naturally progressed onto consoles with the release of the SNES and enjoyed the usual classics such as Super Mario World, Mario Kart and F-Zero. From there I became part of the Play Station generation, owning the PS1 then the PS2 on which I became a massive fan of the Silent Hill and GTA series. I jumped the Sony ship once the original Xbox was released and in turn, moved onto the 360 which is where I find myself today.

http://www.nxtgamer.com/about/staff/

not everyone likes Nintendo that much to blacklist the guy from working ever again, that is if he is even fired over this. I'm sure they will get over this in time.

but it is kinda ironic that the message he posted with the photo was something to the effect that this was the bane of his existence at work

still if he is not fired over this I would be pissed if I signed an NDA and some other guy got to post whatever he wanted and get away with it.

so many people on GAF work in the industry may even handle the WiiU hardware everyday at work but cannot say shit

OryoN

Whoever threw the idea out there - about that mystery square on the Wii U controller being a vitality sensor - probably(and unknowingly?) hit the nail on the head.

I'm not one that indulges in baseless speculation, but it turns out that the DRC vitality sensor idea may not be as farfetched as initially presumed. I scanned a few paged of this thread and apparently no one posted the connection, so I guess I'll do it.

(don't kill me if I'm late with this... this thread moves too fast sometimes)

upadsensor.jpg

Seeing the actual sensor(black square pad) within the vitality unit is so tiny, a lot of the bulk(entire top portion) is most likely just for aesthetics and ease of use, with the circuitry housed in the bottom half of the unit. Therefore, what you may be seeing on the DRC, is likely a refined design of the vitality unit, revealing the only area that needs to be exposed - that tiny square "contact pad".

Now, mind you, this is a speculation thread, and this is in no way conclusive evidence, but it damn sure seems more of a possibliity than before. Also, consider how silent Nintendo have been about this peripheral they were initially so excited about. Would they just let the concept (that was in it's completion) die, or implement it in their next system? I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks!

Note: The other "mystery square" next to the power button appears to be a button(rather than a "pad"), and will most likely differ in purpose from the square "pad". I also do not believe it's a sync button as some have speculated, since the red sync button was spotted at the back of the E3 2011 controller. Although Nintendo could have changed the location of the sync button in the updated version, I doubt it's at the front of the controller. If the Wii console and wiimote is any indication of Nintendo's current train of thought, they'll perfer to keep the sync button "hidden" at the back or under a flap, to prevent excessive/unnecessary use. Of course, I could be wrong, but, that's just my take.

PS: While I prefer to lurk, I do follow this thread, and you guys have provided me with tons of entertainment while I wait for E3. Whether by thoughtful speculation, "insider tidbits", digging for clues, or simply hilarious gifs... well done Nintendo GAFers!

Nibel

Maybe the small square button is to switch from TV to uPad-only?

But all in all nice speculation. That would add another feature to a already feature heavy device and another whole dimension of possibilities for controlling a game.

Whoever threw the idea out there - about that mystery square on the Wii U controller being a vitality sensor - probably(and unknowingly?) hit the nail on the head.

I'm not one that indulges in baseless speculation, but it turns out that the DRC vitality sensor idea may not be as farfetched as initially presumed. I scanned a few paged of this thread and apparently no one posted the connection, so I guess I'll do it.

(don't kill me if I'm late with this... this thread moves too fast sometimes)

upadsensor.jpg

Seeing the actual sensor(black square pad) within the vitality unit is so tiny, a lot of the bulk(entire top portion) is most likely just for aesthetics and ease of use, with the circuitry housed in the bottom half of the unit. Therefore, what you may be seeing on the DRC, is likely a refined design of the vitality unit, revealing the only area that needs to be exposed - that tiny square "contact pad".

Now, mind you, this is a speculation thread, and this is in no way conclusive evidence, but it damn sure seems more of a possibliity than before. Also, consider how silent Nintendo have been about this peripheral they were initially so excited about. Would they just let the concept (that was in it's completion) die, or implement it in their next system? I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks!

Note: The other "mystery square" next to the power button appears to be a button(rather than a "pad"), and will most likely differ in purpose from the square "pad". I also do not believe it's a sync button as some have speculated, since the red sync button was spotted at the back of the E3 2011 controller. Although Nintendo could have changed the location of the sync button in the updated version, I doubt it's at the front of the controller. If the Wii console and wiimote is any indication of Nintendo's current train of thought, they'll perfer to keep the sync button "hidden" at the back or under a flap, to prevent excessive/unnecessary use. Of course, I could be wrong, but, that's just my take.

PS: While I prefer to lurk, I do follow this thread, and you guys have provided me with tons of entertainment while I wait for E3. Whether by thoughtful speculation, "insider tidbits", digging for clues, or simply hilarious gifs... well done Nintendo GAFers!

urkel-reactions-4984.gif

I think u might be the right one !!!

but I also think this "leak" is NOT the new resigned controller its probably the first dev kits they received especially with those start/select buttons shaped like the original GBA (which what Ubi devs confirmed as being the first dev controller they actually received)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
but I also think this "leak" is NOT the new resigned controller its probably the first dev kits they received especially with those start/select buttons shaped like the original GBA (which what Ubi devs confirmed as being the first dev controller they actually received)
Do you have a link for that info?

Also, I believe that square is just a painted on symbol for the NFC spot. The picture is low quality, but it looks to neither protrude nor indent from the surface.

Brera

Banned
Nintendo need to bit the pillow on this one.

Y X B A buttons in SNES/Famicom colours please! It's time to reclaim what is ours!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
OryoN's theory is awesome speculation, but weird's right.
I... How could that be the vitality sensor?

you wouldn't be able to use the stick or dpad...
It could work for a specially designed game a la Wii Fit, but you couldn't use it for say, Eternal Darkness, unless there were certain points where the game asks you to take your thumb off the control stick and place it on the vitality square. That would be a terribly immersion breaking fix.
I think the NFC theory is more likely.

MarkusRJR

To be honest I sort of think the square is just where the NFC chip is on the controller, and the corresponding square button turns on the NFC, so there isn't a constant battery drain.

Who knows, I might (most likely) be wrong. This is bringing back memories of the "mystery flap" on the Wii though.

They was talk of Big N not telling 3rd party's about something maybe it just missing from devs kits right now

or maybe it the button for sending the game to the pad mode? sending the game down to bottom screen? and other a sleep button?

miksar

Does anyone think the controller was introduced with slide pads instead of analogue sticks because Nintendo couldn't figure out the correct ergonomics for sticks back then?

PowWow

There's no way they will put the pulse oximeter on the pad itself where the square is. No way. It isn't practical and it wouldn't work.

Did a bit of perspective correction, resized based on the width of the screen, and matched up the top-left of the screens. Obviously this does not make a perfect result, so I wouldn't read too much into every apparent difference, like the new controller/screen appearing a bit shorter.
c5eEv.gif

ffdgh said:
Now then....why does nintendo refuse to enlarge the dpad all of a sudden lately? its so small now.
With the old version I made a comparison to the 3DS based on screen sizes. D-pad were about 25% larger both vertically and horizontally, which would make it about the same size as the one from the Classic Controller--if not exactly the same one.
Gahiggidy said:
Because, if a game like BOps2 makes heavy use of the subscreen for drones and whatnot, I don't imagine they will too keen on making a control scheme that throws all those options away.
Well, they will be releasing it on X360 and PS3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom