• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD1

Banned
Maybe it's a good move for them? Get out of the crowded Wii U launch window into a time frame where there'll be more oxygen

Yes. I am a little worried the (alleged) flood of titles at launch could actually hurt Nintendo in the long run. There are only so many dollars available, and it's guaranteed a large portion of those dollars will go to Nintendo 1st party titles. So there are even less dollars for 3rd Party games, and if several of those titles tank, will the publishers decide that they can't sell software on Wii U?

I'm specifically thinking about FPS titles. With Call of Duty, 007 Legends, Killer Freaks and even potentially a 1st Party FPS from Retro... Good luck to any other FPS hitting the Wii U in the launch window. No wonder to me why Crysis 3 isn't coming to Wii U. If Crytek has finite resources, why devote more time and money to port a game I to that launch lineup?

HylianTom

Banned
Yes. I am a little worried the (alleged) flood of titles at launch could actually hurt Nintendo in the long run. There are only so many dollars available, and it's guaranteed a large portion of those dollars will go to Nintendo 1st party titles. So there are even less dollars for 3rd Party games, and if several of those titles tank, will the publishers decide that they can't sell software on Wii U?

I'm specifically thinking about FPS titles. With Call of Duty, 007 Legends, Killer Freaks and even potentially a 1st Party FPS from Retro... Good luck to any other FPS hitting the Wii U in the launch window. No wonder to me why Crysis 3 isn't coming to Wii U. If Crytek has finite resources, why devote more time and money to port a game I to that launch lineup?
Exactly. With every new Launch Day title that's announced, after I'm done doing my little celebratory fist-pump the voice in the back of my mind chimes-in to say, "wait.. more?! Where will these all fit into the sales picture?"

It will not break my heart to see some titles pushed back to 2013. Hell, push 'em back to Holiday 2013 if necessary, as some of them would help Nintendo when the new other systems are hatched.

And this is exactly why I keep arguing that Nintendo doesn't need Mario at launch. Summer 2013 yeah. Not launch.
The first month or two is going to be packed with awesome.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
And this is exactly why I keep arguing that Nintendo doesn't need Mario at launch. Summer 2013 yeah. Not launch.

No title we know about is going to really sell consoles on its own, especially since 90% of them will be available on PS360.

Nibel

Finally caught up with thread lol

Few things I wanna say

Welcome back BY2k :)

Shame about BurntPork :( Nibel,EatChildren what did the man do?

Analog Sticks fucking sic!

GTA V very cool if true :)

Ideaman looking forward to your thread my freind

http://thewiiu.com/topic/3579-ubisoft-employee-leaks-a-massive-load-of-wii-u-info/

6GHZ CPU ROFL :p

This is what Eaty had to say

BurntPork seems to have been banned due to behaviour in this thread. His ban is permanent. He will not be able to use private messages.

Long live BurntPork.

HylianTom

Banned
I know it's going to be a good launch when I still can't decide what I'm going to play first. It's a good "problem" to have. :)

After playing Mario Tennis Open I have to wonder what the chances are of Nintendo creating the next generation of Miis. Ever since Nintendo unveiled the Miis I had hoped that they would allow you to personalize the Mii with clothing and accessories that you unlock by playing games. I know Microsoft beat them to the punch by creating Avatar Awards, but that doesn't mean Nintendo couldn't do it too. I'd love to have some sort of cross-game/cross platform Miis where you could unlock a Luigi tennis outfit in Mario Tennis on the 3DS and then use the costume to play Mario Golf on the WiiU.

RedSwirl

So, I am sure this has been discussed before, but I really do think Wii U could do very well with Japanese developers.

-generally, Japanese 3rd parties did not transition well to the HD generation.

-Unlike the West, the Japanese audience is not nearly as focused on graphics.

-On a similar note, portables have a much bigger share of the core gamer market.

-With some exceptions, the HD twins really did not do well in Japan, hardware or software wise. PS3 software finally caught some momentum, but only after publishers banged their head against a brick wall for years until it cracked a bit.

Basically, I think it would be extremely risky for the Japanese publishers to invest in more new technology with how they were burned last time. Unlike last gen, where they felt that they had to support the next Playstation, IMO that impetus is largely gone. Who knows what will happen, and it would not surprise me if some pubs try to play follow the leader again, but I do think the atmosphere is right for many Japanese pubs to play it safe.

I definitely have a feeling that a large chunk of the Wii U's 3rd party support is going to be Japanese. It's just a matter of how quickly it comes.

We still don't really know where western pubs (Nintendo's main weakness) are going to stand on the Wii U, and we have no idea how Japan is going to receive the next Xbox and PlayStation. The problem with current gen was that Sony and to a greater extent Microsoft, almost completely disregarded the Japanese dev industry and left without it. Nintendo seems to be the one console manufacturer left sensitive to that market. The problem is attracting western core gaming too.

Then again, the big Japanese pubs like Square Enix and Konami have been preparing new engines, and if they're smart the Crystal and FOX engines will be next gen-ready. Capcom will undoubtedly have an MT Framework 3 (or 4) ready.

Then again, a lot of them could just migrate even further down to handhelds. 3DS games are starting to look quite pretty in the upcoming year.

man, that Video brings back memories; can't believe already 5 years since I got my Wii...

---
oh, BP got permad? couldn't find something crazy in his recent posts honestly...

BurntPork banned again?

I'm shocked, shocked I say.
ShockedAlberto?

I know it's going to be a good launch when I still can't decide what I'm going to play first. It's a good "problem" to have. :)
I remember having this problem with the GBA launch. In retrospect, all I ended up buying was Chu Chu Rocket. Probably should've gotten Super Mario Advance and Circle of the Moon while I had the chance (especially since I own every other Super Mario Advance, and have Aria of Sorrow already...), but I never got around to it. Maybe Rayman Advance, but that game's better off being played on the PS1/Saturn.

Comparatively, the DS and 3DS launch lineups were a bit underwhelming.

After playing Mario Tennis Open I have to wonder what the chances are of Nintendo creating the next generation of Miis. Ever since Nintendo unveiled the Miis I had hoped that they would allow you to personalize the Mii with clothing and accessories that you unlock by playing games. I know Microsoft beat them to the punch by creating Avatar Awards, but that doesn't mean Nintendo couldn't do it too. I'd love to have some sort of cross-game/cross platform Miis where you could unlock a Luigi tennis outfit in Mario Tennis on the 3DS and then use the costume to play Mario Golf on the WiiU.
Well, there's already the whole "hat" thing from the Find Mii games. It'd just be a matter of expanding that to the entire system instead of Mii Streetpass Plaza.

I wouldn't mind if they kill them off altogether. But since they aren't going away, they should definitely update them at least...

joshwaan

Do you guys think Big N will revist some games from n64 days with the Wii U?

Crusin USA
Pilot Wings
Space Station Silcon Valley
Yoshi Island
Diddy Kong racing
Star Fox Utopia
Donkey Kong Land

Maybe some Snes titles

Super Metriod Remake
Weapon Lord
Uni Rally
Battle Toads
Rockn Roll Racing

Titles like these prehaps?

Crusin USA
Pilot Wings
Yoshi Island
Diddy Kong racing
Star Fox Utopia
Donkey Kong Land

The Cruisin' series and Space Station Silicon Valley aren't theirs to revisit (the now-defunct Midway and Rockstar's, respectively, correct?).

Also, they already revisited Pilotwings on the 3DS.

Crusin USA
Pilot Wings
Yoshi Island
Diddy Kong racing
Star Fox Utopia
Donkey Kong Land

Maybe some Snes titles

Super Metriod Remake
Weapon Lord
Uni Rally
Battle Toads
Rockn Roll Racing

tbh, bar Pilot Wings, SM and Battle Toads, I haven't even 'heard' the name of those games

DrWong

Rösti;38063906 said:
What makes this rather difficult is that industry quote from Fubon Research (regarding Lingsen's involvement with Wii U) stating that the system will be launched Q3 (1st of July to the 30th of September) this year. With a large partner as Lingsen, would you wanna say something like that if you didn't have proof of it? They could have said "is expected to launch in Q3", but instead they said "will be released in 3Q12". And as investigated, Lingen's fiscal year is the same as the calendar year.

Reported in two documents (one is linked in the starting post):
https://fubonresearch.fbs.com.tw/FILE/17223.pdf
https://fubonresearch.fbs.com.tw/FILE/17226.pdf
Interesting, thanks.

HeySeuss

What do you guys think the chances are that the WiiU version of Aliens is a timed exclusive as a launch title? It's not the best game imo to do that with, but it would certainly be a litmus test to see how well a core type game could do. Seems possible to me, but I can also see it pushed back to get out of the overcrowded launch line up.

What do you guys think the chances are that the WiiU version of Aliens is a timed exclusive as a launch title? It's not the best game imo to do that with, but it would certainly be a litmus test to see how well a core type game could do. Seems possible to me, but I can also see it pushed back to get out of the overcrowded launch line up.
0 [the guy at GS interview, I think it was the CEO, was emphasizing how although the WiiU version is better still other versions are the same game and people can enjoy the game on their systems, blah blah]

Sadist

Aliens would have been buried by RE 6, CoD BO II, MoH Warfighter, Assassin's Creed III and whatever Nintendo brings to Wii U.

wsippel

Banned
I wonder what independent developers Nintendo's contracted to provide games. I believe there are quite a few studios Nintendo worked with in the past that have gone silent, as well as a few that haven't worked with Nintendo so far that should have free capacities. Treasure, Sandlot, Arika, Ganbarion, Chunsoft, Prope and a few others come to mind. But I guess most of those would work on 3DS or eShop titles.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI:

Vitality Unknown?

SPECulation?

SEXulation? (six in latin is sex)

An End to the Madness?

Wii will judge U Ideaman?

I got nothing...

AzaK

Just noticed something potentially interesting: There's a small Austin company named Touch International that designs touchscreens for professional applications (like medical and industrial equipment and defense). In 2009, they introduced MARS, a low-cost resistive multitouch screen designed for a broad spectrum of devices, including game consoles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvjwUQ4jS2Y

Doesn't seem to be on the same level as Stantum's solution, but it's probably quite a bit cheaper and still offers a resolution of 10bit (1024x1024), a low activation force of 0.05N and a response time of less than 10ms.

Any idea what the activation force of the DS/3Ds is? Also, is 1024 the maximum resolution, regardless of size? That might be passable. Fine for controller only stuff, and while a bit low for mapping to full 1920x1080, would probably be fine for most applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom