• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
From my understanding, I thought it was much much sooner than that, something closer to a month than what we're seeing here.
Oh my.

August or September launch looking more possible? The earlier Wii U goes, the more I'd see a lot of people around the industry being sent into a tizzy.

Two things I'm thinking:

1) The "mass production" tidbit makes me believe that "Oban" could very well be the 32nm WiiU GPU. The timeline aligns almost perfectly and it's obvious that it could not have been the 360 successor if they recently decided go a different (more powerful) route. No business would send chips into mass production only to change their mind. It just doesn't happen.

2) Looking at the slide pads, I believe the may click in a different way then we're used to. I'm thinking they are made of a soft rubber and the center depresses. Hard for me to explain, but the pad wouldn't recede into the controller when pressed. The mechanism would be inside the slide pads...if that's even possible. :p

Someone more competent please correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the issues is that devs are going to have to design games for the lowest common denominator. If they're bottlenecked by USB 2.0 transfer speeds, they're never going to be able to make optimal use of that external HDD. So it doesn't matter even if they include USB 3.0 or eSATA if it isn't the baseline.

This is correct, and that's exactly my fear. When a dev isn't guaranteed a certain standard when it comes to throughput, everyone gets the lowest common denominator. So you could imagine what that could mean for ambitious DLC or DD. The Wii's 40MB cap could become the Wii U's support for only USB 2.0 HDD's, just another excuse to avoid Nintendo and a legitimate one at that.

Only thing that sort of gives me hope is that some 360 games and a lot of XBLA/DLC seem to ignore the 360's non-mandatory HDD support, they simply demand it for space reasons. But again, that's a SATA HDD, not USB 2.0.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
A complete guess, but this could be a built in hard-drive. Given the focus on downloads (including potentially 20GB+ retail game downloads), Nintendo might have just decided to bite the bullet and actually build-in a HDD. Don't know if that fits your definition of "original", though...

There's no reason why this would necessarily be tied to a dev-kit hardware upgrade, an SDK software update would do whenever it's ready. In fact, I very much doubt third parties will find out about OS features before we do, it doesn't make a difference to them making their games, and it's a source of leaks from Nintendo's perspective.

That was going to be my guess as well, or at least expanded the internal flash memory.

Nilaul

My teases announcing future posts about particular subjects are vague by choice (fun & hype building & nurture the speculation). But once i write the promised messages, they are rather clear with a lot of details & explanation about the context, etc.

I understand why the hints can annoy some people, but it's an entertainment business guys :)

Oh and for the "original" bit, it's not the DRC, it's the dev kits, meaning the big box used to develop games.

Ideaman is the MegatonMan

2GB ram or 1.5 GB mm (Including OS ram)?

Rewatched snippets of E3 2006 again. URRGGGHHHH. Nothing will ever be that great again. Really, it's because of where I was in life. I was 13 when that happened and nowhere near as cynical as I am now. Seeing those games on screen was amazing, my mind was racing with possibilities. I don't think I'll ever be as hyped for something as I was for Wii. :p

Also BIG DAMN TRUCK needs to make a comeback.

Thanks for making me feel old. Anyway, I just love how casually everything was revealed at that conference because there were so many new games. It was like what the hell was that? Was that a new Mario? Is he in space? What's going on?

guek

Banned
Oh my.

August or September launch looking more possible? The earlier Wii U goes, the more I'd see a lot of people around the industry being sent into a tizzy.

September is the perfect month to launch.

Two things I'm thinking:

1) The "mass production" tidbit makes me believe that "Oban" could very well be the 32nm WiiU GPU. The timeline aligns almost perfectly and it's obvious that it could not have been the 360 successor if they recently decided go a different (more powerful) route. No business would send chips into mass production only to change their mind. It just doesn't happen.

2) Looking at the slide pads, I believe the may click in a different way then we're used to. I'm thinking they are made of a soft rubber and the center depresses. Hard for me to explain, but the pad wouldn't recede into the controller when pressed. The mechanism would be inside the slide pads...if that's even possible. :p

I still don't think "Oban" has anything to do with Wii U. It just feels like wishful thinking, but I could be wrong.

As for the clickyness of the sticks, I think they're going to still be slide pads like you're saying. Something pressure sensitive with tactile feedback.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Thanks for making me feel old. Anyway, I just love how casually everything was revealed at that conference because there were so many new games. It was like what the hell was that? Was that a new Mario? Is he in space? What's going on?

I actually didn't realize how young I was when that happened until I did the math. Crazy!

September is the perfect month to launch.

Reallllllllllyyyy don't see that happening.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Yeah I don't see it. Nintendo's financial briefing really made it sound like it would be closer towards the holiday's, and Nintendo isn't releasing price information at E3. Seems too tight. I would say October at the earliest, but November seems most likely.

As for the clickyness of the sticks, I think they're going to still be slide pads like you're saying. Something pressure sensitive with tactile feedback.

I honestly don't see how they couldn't add click to the sliders, seems like a non-issue to me. I guess we'll see. Still on my "give me analogs" soapbox though, hopefully by E3 I'll have accepted the inevitable. :(

Thraktor

By offering a percentage of the the sales to the Brick and Mortar store do you think Nintendo can use that to keep heads at Gamestops cool after the introduction of full retail downloads.

Sorry if I sound stupid....

It's a sensible strategy. Retail chains have a huge amount of power over companies like Nintendo, keeping them happy means they stock nice big shelves full of your games and peripherals at the front of the shop and put up your PoS displays. Even if Nintendo went download-only, they'd still need bricks and mortar shops selling the hardware in the first place, so it's good to have them on their side. Their Wii U plan keeps retailers happy by allowing them to sell download codes, and even potentially undercut the eShop on them, but also helps Nintendo by transitioning gamers towards being more comfortable with downloading games, and in then buying them direct through the eShop in the future.

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah I don't see it. Nintendo's financial briefing really made it sound like it would be closer towards the holiday's, and Nintendo isn't releasing price information at E3. Seems too tight. I would say October at the earliest, but November seems most likely.
True. I talk a good hope game when it comes to release date, but it's all fantasy. If you put a gun to my head and make me wager a guess, I still give the totally uncreative "November 18" as my pick.

Conor 419

Banned
You know what I'd love? A thread being made by a long dormant member. In the thread, it is said 'In one hours time, you will witness the biggest announcement in gaming history'. And then it gets validated by an admin as a high level Nintendo source.

What'd you guys do? What do you think GAF'd do?

guek

Banned

Me neither. Feels bad man.

Going back to the original Oban rumor, we have this snippet:
From the shadows we hear whispers of expecting development kits as early as March, but more than likely April, if all goes well.

And Ideaman did say nintendo supposedly told devs to expect v5 kits at the end of march/beginning of april.

So it does match up...but I just have a hard time believing this is going to be southern islands based GPU. lherre is also pretty adamant that we shouldn't expect a monumental leap in power. I guess it could be a modified HD 7750 (820 GFLOPs and a 55w max TDP which could definitely be trimmed down). Still, I have my doubts.

......2) Looking at the slide pads, I believe the may click in a different way then we're used to. I'm thinking they are made of a soft rubber and the center depresses. Hard for me to explain, but the pad wouldn't recede into the controller when pressed. The mechanism would be inside the slide pads...if that's even possible. :p

I get you and think that might be possible, I think the main detracter to that argument is it would cause unnecessary complexity in producing said pads . However the OG leaker on "clicks" called them sticks not pads...so...hmmmm....

......As for the clickyness of the sticks, I think they're going to still be slide pads like you're saying. Something pressure sensitive with tactile feedback.

I wouldn't think so for the same reasons above.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Hmm new devkit features (not power related )and the upad itself...

Multiple pads?,?
Cant think of anything else....or

Operating system

It doesn't have to do with the controllers or the OS.
So it's likely something that was added to the hardware.
Maybe an HDD.
Maybe USB 3.0.
Maybe some slots for something.
Who knows (besides IdeaMan).

beje

Banned
Maybe an HDD.
Maybe USB 3.0.

I'd say last minute upgrade of the graphics card, just adding USB 3.0 ports shouldn't have taken that long, and HDD is a nonsense since they're aiming at a slim profile like the original Wii (and remember these are devkits, they most likely have one there for debug/testing), same goes for slots, remember dev kits for consoles rarely match finished hardware: early Xbox 360 dev kits where Mac G5's if I'm not mistaken, while Gamecube ones looked like a Mini-ATX PC.

We got two possible hints at a September release in one day. That's interesting, to say the least.

It'd be nice but as said before seems unlikely at this point given they already confirmed there will be no final launch details at E3. September we'll probably be finding out (hopefully) about lineup, price ect.

Triton55

Has there been any talk on the direction Nintendo is taking some of its series' on WiiU?

Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, etc? I'm interested even if its vague.

Not much. In the Mario 3DL Iwata Asks, Koizimi and Tezuka say that 3D Land will serve as a "new point of origin" for the series in both 2D and 3D titles.

Zelda: Aonuma wants to keep motion controls, but he also likes the idea of putting inventory on the touch screen so idk
Also Miyamoto wants to return to LttP style, but that's probably for 3DS

Pikmin: Miyamoto says HD and tablet are perfect fit.

Metroid: Someone at Nintendo, can't remember who, said the tablet could be used for scanning in Metroid, and imagined it would appear on the Wii U at some point.

That's pretty much all I can remember. Not much to go off.

AzaK

This is correct, and that's exactly my fear. When a dev isn't guaranteed a certain standard when it comes to throughput, everyone gets the lowest common denominator. So you could imagine what that could mean for ambitious DLC or DD. The Wii's 40MB cap could become the Wii U's support for only USB 2.0 HDD's, just another excuse to avoid Nintendo and a legitimate one at that.

Only thing that sort of gives me hope is that some 360 games and a lot of XBLA/DLC seem to ignore the 360's non-mandatory HDD support, they simply demand it for space reasons. But again, that's a SATA HDD, not USB 2.0.

I started out by reasoning that USB 2 wouldn't be that bad. I eventually came around in circles and now I agree. Mainly because it would be a pain in the arse if there was a discrepancy in performance between disk purchased titles and DD titles due to the variations in read speeds. This is the biggest issue I can see.

However, it may be alleviated to some degree if Nintendo puts in fast flash ram that can match or outperform the drive (I'm not sure if that's economical). In this case DD titles can use that to help with loading.

Either way, there's always going to be discrepancies if you have two main storage mediums on a device. Let's just hope that the fastest one is not the optical disk.

You know what I'd love? A thread being made by a long dormant member. In the thread, it is said 'In one hours time, you will witness the biggest announcement in gaming history'. And then it gets validated by an admin as a high level Nintendo source.

What'd you guys do? What do you think GAF'd do?

We'd freak at first, but when the actual announcement starts with "You know those bushes in Super Mario Bros.?", I'll be first in line for the lynch mob.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I'll just go ahead and pretend that this is Dolphin-like upgrades when playing Gamecube games BC.

Seriously, though, I look forward to figuring out what this is.

Also, in your opinion, would this be "good news" that most would be indifferent to or "good news" that most of us here would probably love to hear?

good news that everybody here and anywhere for that matter WILL love to hear

4 upads would be so nice

I just don't see that happening for performance reasons. Streaming complex 3D scenes to 4 different screens at once isn't free performance wise, never mind whatever Nintendo's plans for things going in the the background OS/overlay. I'd much rather see a updated GCN-type controller.

If they do support at least two, what will be interesting is if Nintendo instead opts to do a screen-to-screen type deal. Could be applicable for a couple types of game ideas for local MP, like me on the TV playing Mario and the wife and her friend playing Poker on the other other screens. But I doubt it'll ever support more than 1 screen for aggressive visual games, and definitely not games which toy with viewpoints.

I can see the machine to be redesigned to be an inch taller than previous to accomodate for a built in hdd that is easily removable but only 160GB which is now the cheapest hdd wholesale in terms of manufacturing (unless ithe cheapest is 320GB now for a single 2.5" platter). This extra inch should allow for a bigger heatsink and better chance of airflow. I am guessing that the removable hdd will be located within the now larger front flap and act as a cady for easy removal and inesrtion of any standard 2.5" hdd up to 12.5mm.

I have noticed manufacturers have two design tiers of 2.5" inch densities such as the 20,40,80,160,320,640GB and the other being 16,32,64,128,256,512GB. Are these being developed in parallel? I am wondering which is now the current cheapest to produce platter density? would it be the third generation from the highest one?

If there is indeed a hdd is it possible for the nand to act as a cache to speed up access like a hybrid drive? What if the drive is non removable what would be the minimum size next gen to cater for the majority of customers considering attach ratios for a whole generation. Finally is this a smart financial move by nintendo as it makes it easier for the consumer and developer to be on the same page to be able to offer and purchase the game respectively without having to think of extra parameters such as purchasing or using an external hdd. Although the cost would be high for nintendo, the benefit for developer and consumer would be far reaching. What do others think about this?

Edit.

I remember a few months ago about somethjng to do with hdd and nintendo a few months ago. maybe samsung was involved in the discussion or am i dreaming?

Maybe an HDD.
Maybe USB 3.0.

Could also be a sudden, unexpected optical audio port. Or a button labeled "Brew coffee, woohoo!"

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
When are you going to lay it on us IdeaMan? Give us a countdown.

When i become a member and if i can create a thread about it

But the other, non-teasing part of my message (completed with a following one about this delay story) is already interesting :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom