• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDX

from wikipedia.

maybe it means something...

Even more interesting:

Ōban (Great Watch), also known as the Great Watch, the contingent of troops dedicated to protecting the capital and surrounding areas in feudal Japan

Watch. As in Game & Watch? Multi Screen?

At any rate, to know if its Nintendo related, we need to know the name of the CPU.
Could the CPU be called Koban? Or something meaning Great Game?

HylianTom

Banned
Hmmm... the WiiU might be the go to system next gen. The UE4 engine is going for that AAAA that Epic wanted, the cost for that would be insane. Nintendo maybe the smarts ones this round by buying middle ware to be used (making it so that making a custom engine would probably be cheaper), and making a console that out powers this gen, but still keep dev cost at a point where they don't have to waste a shit ton of money to make a game.

Don't get me wrong, this could easily backfire. Shovel wear may bog down the WiiU like it did the Wii for the same reasons.

Regardless, it's going to be fun watching devs try to navigate.

Nintendo seems to be offering them a relatively sane compromise. True, a maxxed-out game developed on the U should be fairly expensive, but Nintendo's also pushing the philosophy that not every game needs to be AAAAA..

Jarsonot

I'm talking the Wii U up to my friends in the hopes that they all get one, enabling me even more to only having one console next gen.

Maybe should schedule E3 party. Themed cupcakes. And booze.

tkscz

Nintendo seems to be offering them a relatively sane compromise. True, a maxxed-out game developed on the U should be fairly expensive, but Nintendo's also pushing the philosophy that not every game needs to be AAAAA..

And yet Epic is trying to convince otherwise. They're head got big this gen, regardless of Crytek basically making what I feel to be a better engine, with a much better tech demo.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the DX11 version of Crysis 2 come before the Samaritan demo?

Jarsonot

What I'm looking forward to the most, more than games (almost?) are the creative uses Nintendo can think up for the subscreen. I like most of the "known" uses a lot already, and am really interested to see what they've thought of that we haven't.

That and the secret unannounced feature(s) of course.

4 pads would take both a render hit and lag hit right? Not happening with something like Mario Kart.

Four-way splitscreen took an incredibly noticeable render hit in prior versions of Mario Kart. It didn't stop the feature from being implemented.

I'm hoping that the hit is along those lines. This is an optimistic outlook, but it's something that would help keep local multiplayer alive, and that's really important to me.

Instro

It's a bit more than speculation if the Wii U can run UE4.
It most certainly should be able to.
The question, however, is if publishers will bother still making versions of UE4 games for the Wii U.

If games are selling they will. If the WiiU flops, or cannot support core games then there will not be as much incentive.

Pretty much. Expecting the bolded not happening.

Net revenue
bilanfea2.png

Net income
bilanfea1.png

EA's financial graphs now for this generation and the decisions made regarding their ignorance of handhelds and wii and how that may impact their decisions going with developing mulitplatform titles for WiiU this time around, might be an indicator of how third parties will react to a third revenue stream with minimal risk compared to the trials and impossibilities of doing direct ports to wii.

That's because A⁵ is going to be old hat really soon. Devs will be pushing for A⁶ as soon as the next generation starts hitting its stride.

HylianTom

Banned
And yet Epic is trying to convince otherwise. They're head got big this gen, regardless of Crytek basically making what I feel to be a better engine, with a much better tech demo.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the DX11 version of Crysis 2 come before the Samaritan demo?

I think so. DX11 Crysis 2 was in summer of 2011, I think.
(someone more knowledgeable might have to double-check this)

japtor

What I'm looking forward to the most, more than games (almost?) are the creative uses Nintendo can think up for the subscreen. I like most of the "known" uses a lot already, and am really interested to see what they've thought of that we haven't.

That and the secret unannounced feature(s) of course.
Battalion Wars multiplayer on TV with the tablet player acting as field general with overhead radar and intel and whatnot.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
On the other hand it could be scalable enough for everything down to mobile games so they can sell to everyone rather than limiting themselves to the high end.
Or they'll keep pushing UE3 to the new and smaller developers who are focused on mobile platforms. Aren't they planning to push it to web developers in the near future and get it running in Flash?
If games are selling they will. If the WiiU flops, or cannot support core games then there will not be as much incentive.
Exactly. This is why it's really important that Wii U hits it out of the park with the core demographic from the get-go, and crucially, that it maintains momentum in a way that Wii was unable to.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
No these dev kits are like big DVD player, or more old VHS recorder/player. Big bland box, far bigger than the Wii U case we saw at E3 2011.

And yes, it was implied in my post, the boxes changed between V4 and those ones, aesthetically (from the outside) if it's what you wondering :)
Never mind

If these final dev kits are final form, including the same chipset as the retail version, than why are they significantly larger?

Never mind

So did bgassassin "accidentally" confirm 32nm CPU? Sorry if this was already clarified but I'm eating in between trying to keep up.

Haha. If I did it, it wouldn't have been on accident. :)

Originally I thought the GPU would be 28nm, but after more reading and some things mentioned by wsippel I shifted to 32nm. From the things I looked at the main thing I noticed is that Nintendo seems pretty consisted of using main nodes over half nodes. You can read about the differences here. The press release for the CPU said the process was on 45nm which is a main node continuing that trend with the CPU. Based on Nintendo's history and desire to keep it as cool as possible a 32nm GPU seems the most logical vs 40nm or 28nm used for recent/current PC GPUs.

Didnt ideaman post (or was it someone else) that the original devkit were the size of the dummy?

I mentioned the first dev kit looked like the GC/Wii early dev kit with half the height. Lherre said they were on the "ugly, retail version".

So we do people pay 4000 for them? There obviously more powerfull aint they?

They aren't more powerful, they just have drivers that support the full Open GL API. That is the only difference between a Quadro or Fire Pro card vs a Geforce or Radeon. It's the exact same chips, just with drivers that fully support Open GL.

Honestly most people in DCC don't need a Quadro/Fire Pro card. The gamer drivers have enough of the api calls to work just fine. Though some of the industrial design apps do need those api calls, found on the pro cards. For Maya, Max, Zbrush, Mudbox, XSI, etc a gamer card will do you just fine. Well possibly not the Nvidia ones, people have been saying the newer ones were performing worse than older cards. People seem to think Nvidia is purposely holding back driver performance for those apps, to make the pro cards more appealing. Hopefully AMD doesn't pull that bullshit.

Nilaul

Haha. If I did it, it wouldn't have been on accident. :)

Originally I thought the GPU would be 28nm, but after more reading and some things mentioned by wsippel I shifted to 32nm. From the things I looked at the main thing I noticed is that Nintendo seems pretty consisted of using main nodes over half nodes. You can read about the differences here. The press release for the CPU said the process was on 45nm which is a main node continuing that trend with the CPU. Based on Nintendo's history and desire to keep it as cool as possible a 32nm GPU seems the most logical vs 40nm or 28nm used for recent/current PC GPUs.

I mentioned the first dev kit looked like the GC/Wii early dev kit with half the height. Lherre said they were on the "ugly, retail version".
This but half the height?
http://images.wikia.com/vgsales/images/4/40/DolphinDevKit10_1_b_qjpreviewth-1-.jpeg?

Whats ugly retail verson?
e.g. http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/09/wiigreen5.jpg this?

Nilaul

They aren't more powerful, they just have drivers that support the full Open GL API. That is the only difference between a Quadro or Fire Pro card vs a Geforce or Radeon. It's the exact same chips, just with drivers that fully support Open GL.

Honestly most people in DCC don't need a Quadro/Fire Pro card. The gamer drivers have enough of the api calls to work just fine. Though some of the industrial design apps do need those api calls, found on the pro cards. For Maya, Max, Zbrush, Mudbox, XSI, etc a gamer card will do you just fine. Well possibly not the Nvidia ones, people have been saying the newer ones were performing worse than older cards. People seem to think Nvidia is purposely holding back driver performance for those apps, to make the pro cards more appealing. Hopefully AMD doesn't pull that bullshit.

This feels so dirty and wrong. I wish when they market a 4000 dollar card it would truly be a 4,000 dollar card. :-S

tkscz

I think so. DX11 Crysis 2 was in summer of 2011, I think.
(someone more knowledgeable might have to double-check this)

Well if true than everything Epic was bragging about was done by Crytek with less tech. Here is hoping Nintendo gives Crytek a boost and use the Cryengine.

Definite yes to the first picture and an assumed yes to the second picture.

Well if true than everything Epic was bragging about was done by Crytek with less tech. Here is hoping Nintendo gives Crytek a boost and use the Cryengine.

Based on some tidbits from a mod on B3D, I wouldn't go that far just yet. Unless you're strictly focusing on UE3.

I think expecting no UE4 on Wii U would be the best approach.

At this point, in order to attempt to keep my hype in check, the only thing I'm expecting to be truly great in regard to the Wii U is the conference thread.

And TimeSplitters 4… man, that's gonna be so great! HYPE…… HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!

HylianTom

Banned
Wii generation repeat in that case...
except there will be more overlap with current gen, so wii U will get some ports for a year or two.

Yep, I think you're quite quite close. The only difference I see between this generation and the last maybe... maaaaaaayyybe.. is a bit more Japanese support, as developers there hedge their bets between Nintendo and Sony more equitably this time around.

tkscz

Definite yes to the first picture and an assumed yes to the second picture.

Based on some tidbits from a mod on B3D, I wouldn't go that far just yet. Unless you're strictly focusing on UE3.

Yes, I am talking about UE3. What the hell is supposed to be so impressive about UE4 anyway?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yep, I think you're quite quite close. The only difference I see between this generation and the last maybe... maaaaaaayyybe.. is a bit more Japanese support, as developers there hedge their bets between Nintendo and Sony more equitably this time around.

yeah possibly.
Though capcom will continue to chase the COD audience and Konami & namco will continue to be crazy.

Yes, I am talking about UE3. What the hell is supposed to be so impressive about UE4 anyway?

We don't know yet! :O

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I think you're pretty close. The only difference I see between this generation and the last maybe... maaaaaaayyybe.. is a bit more Japanese support, as developers there hedge their bets between Nintendo and Sony more equitably this time around.
I think there'll be increased Japanese support, partly because the Wii U should be a big hit over there, and partly because many Japanese developers won't be ready for another generational jump.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
No, it's not. I'm remaining adamant that it'll get it.
The best approach is the one that doesn't lead to massive hype implosions. Don't set yourself up for disappointment.
If Wii U sees UE4 I'll be very, very pleased, but right now I can see a big chance that it won't happen.
Can't you swing back into doom mode here?
Hope you have enough crow to eat.
I didn't say 'UE4 won't come to Wii U', did I?

HylianTom

Banned
I think there'll be increased Japanese support, partly because the Wii U should be a big hit over there, and partly because many Japanese developers won't be ready for another generational jump.

Japan is Nintendo's best hope at this point. I think that even if Wii U were capable of UE4, there'd be some reason that western support would not materialize beyond token level.

So at this point, I'm guessing:
- better Japanese support
- cold Western support
- ports from the PS360 for the first year, maybe two
- Nintendo expanding its games production rate

laugh.gif

We'll find out when they publicly announce it, but here is that comment from the mod I mentioned.

I know a number of people who saw the UE4 demo at GDC, I actually skipped it.
The one thing that seemed to impress people was the global illumination demo, however, it was only shown with 2 relatively confined areas, and it was unclear what the exact set of "cheats" they were using.
They did however show it with moving lights, and more importantly moving objects. I assume they have to use some sort of sparse grid and recompute the form factors when things move, which makes me wonder what the actual restrictions are and in what set of circumstances it's actually usable.

boiled goose

good with gravy

If Wii U become a Nintendo + japan box I would be mostly fine.
Most big western games make it to PC more regularly than Japanese games.

I still think that the cost of games will still be too high for exclusive console development in most cases. 3 Way multiplats would be ideal for next gen I think. The combined userbase of the HD consoles vs. Wii was always more appealing to publishers.
(their initial investment in HD tech is not enough justification for the lack of support on the Wii, as they already had Wii level tech. Any investment was essentially a sunk cost, yet they still chosethe HD twins over Wii in most cases, even japanese studios)

I think a lot of it will come down to how nintendo markets the device.

Let's throw a hypothetical out there that is always thrown out, but may matter more right now...

How much would it impact 3rd party development if Nintendo developed a real, sophisticated, and easy going dev engine/tool for third parties who wanted to be lazy and still get great results?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Let's throw a hypothetical out there that is always thrown out, but may matter more right now...

How much would it impact 3rd party development if Nintendo developed a real, sophisticated, and easy going dev engine/tool for third parties who wanted to be lazy and still get great results?

I think the userbase perceptions will still factor in significantly.

PSP got a port of Dante's inferno. Wii did not.

Sometimes userbase doesnt even matter. See the disastrous beginning of Rockband on Wii. After the explosion of GH on Wii, Harmonix/EA were catching up a year a year later. Rock band was perfect for the Wii's audience and the Wii was at the height of its popularity.

There are forces at work that I don't completely understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom