• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Time to bring back George Clooney advert.

UClooney.jpg

You totally got the point :)
It's better than spoon-feeding the thread by revealing all that i know in 5 lines, it's more fun, better entertainment, more hype-building for E3, and above all, more interesting to see the ideas and reasoning developed.

See, this is why I'm leaning towards the conclusion that you're full of hot air.

"I know something so big and I'm going to tell you ...sometime! Maybe before E3! I'm doing this for the lulz, guys!" just reeks of "I know nothing at all and I hope something leaks so I can pretend it was that".

We can have a discussion about stuff even though you "spoon feed" us the supposed info you know (and admit you want to share). You can just as easily post the info here and make the mod turn the post into its own thread, or send the info to someone else and have them post it.

DavieC726

Or just have the game use Wii Remote, and not use the tablet controller at all. Not all gameplay benefits from a tablet, and the combat in Skyward Sword was so awesome that it'd be a huge step back to replace that with button presses. I sure as heck hope developers don't use the tablet where it doesn't make any sense.

Look, I really liked Skyward Sword's sword mechanics but it got to a point where in Hero Mode when I was doing the boss rush to get the last prize that they got in the way. Besides, using the tablet for your inventory, maps, how many hearts you have while freeing up the main screen for the gorgeous HD visuals is going to be awesome! Although you could still do that while going through the game using solely the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. We will just have to wait and see.

Linkup

A wifi/cpu/dsp thingy that does what the 3DS does with wifi.
Custom GPU is finally in.
Physics/lighting processing unit
support for 2 pads
USB 3.0
larger internal flash storage 32GB
Haptic feedback is in

Otherwise not good news.

DavieC726

It's scary how much this post describes me and who I was when I watched E3 2006. My most hyped event for weeks. I knew Nintendo was going to blow the doors off and they didn't disappoint in any way, shape or form.

And yeah, it sucks nothing like that will ever happen again, if only because of who I was back then. Too cynical nowadays. I remember being extremely happy with their 2010 conference though, that one easily came the closest to 2006 IMO. 3DS hype and reveal, Kid Icarus, DKCR, Kirby Epic Yarn, Skyward Sword. That one was great too.

Last year fell short because of how muddled the Wii U stuff was. Half of it was tech demos, half of it was M-rated third party ports, both were great but I was looking forward to actual Nintendo games.

The 3DS part delivered though, Luigi's Mansion 2 announcement made my day.

Yea the best part of last year's was how the stage was set up to show the 3DS games. Not sure if that was a one time thing or if they will use that set up for future E3s.

I'm calling USB 3.0 support or voice recognition similar to Siri. It's been done before but a lot of people will like it.

Maybe it's the inter-console streaming thing so you can watch another player beat a level you can't. That's one of those "so cool it won't happen" features -- I think Tom was particularly hot on the idea.

TriGen

I love going back and watching old E3's, once in a while. It really does boost my hype level. I'll probaly go back the day before next E3 starts and watch some old E3 highlights.

I guess it depends on how complex the scenes are and the what console is rendering. If it's a expanded view of a game, or any type of asymmetric stuff going on it could very well be taxing to being rendering a 720p image on TV, and a four 480p images on controllers. Add to that touch screen functions, background OS/overlay (that also relies on some streaming), and any potential features and services running in the background. I mean it could be done on four screens, but it's certainly a lot more complexity to take into account than the N64/GCN did.

For simple games I don't think it would be a issue, but for simultaneous MP on four screens for say Crysis 3 or Doom
4, probably not. I'd even go so far as to say the more taxing the game is visually or service-wise (consistent
background stuff) the less novel the DRC usages will be. It
might be rare to see a game with bleeding edge
visual/aesthetic tech use the DRC extensively and in heavy
ways. But at this point all we can do is speculate because
we know nothing about what the OS/overlay will be, how
resource heavy it might be, and most importantly how
taxing it will be on the GPU/CPU to stream complex scenes
and retain advanced functions on the DRC.

I just want 4 DRC support for Mario Kart. Simple graphics and just a 2D map on the tv. If they can pull that off for that one game, I will be satisfied.

Linkhero1

Maybe it's the inter-console streaming thing so you can watch another player beat a level you can't. That's one of those "so cool it won't happen" features -- I think Tom was particularly hot on the idea.

That is pretty neat. It's Nintendo so I don't think they would implement something like that since they're already doing all that assist stuff in their games.

A wifi/cpu/dsp thingy that does what the 3DS does with wifi.
Custom GPU is finally in.
Physics/lighting processing unit
support for 2 pads
USB 3.0
larger internal flash storage 32GB
Haptic feedback is in

Otherwise not good news.

Oh, shit, that's a good one!

…so's the one under it, but IM said it isn't something on the controller

I just want 4 DRC support for Mario Kart. Simple graphics and just a 2D map on the tv. If they can pull that off for that one game, I will be satisfied.

The main screen should be like a tv broadcast showing the most interesting parts of the race. so people in the party can be interested in watching what is going on. However I liked 4 way splitscreen and watching all the mayhem on the other peoples screens when they get griefed.

What information have I missed.

A news concerning the dev kits (models, availability to developers, etc.)

One month and half ago, i told you that big third-parties were noticed by Nintendo that they should receive the development kits following the V4 ones that they used since late last year/start of january, at the end of march/beginning of april. These "V5" dev kits seemed to be tagged final or near final, and see a slight increase in their performances.

Here's the message which i'm referring to

Nearly all this post's infos are STILL relevant, except the time schedule. It appears third-parties were waiting for these dev kits during all april. There has been a delay of at least one month in the supply of this equipment by Nintendo.

But finally, they just received them

Another important news: they are the mass produced dev kits.

Here's some bits of my previous message in regard to this subject, but updated:

- Except maybe big japanese studios (like Capcom), i doubt that other third-parties received these dev kits (much) earlier. It's likely that my sources are one of the firsts to be granted of the latest revisions. This means that all the declarations, the news, from foreign developers, that you've read until now, were certainly in a V4 dev kit framework, before the release of these newest ones.

- A previous post of lherre indicated that Nintendo guys were testing an engine and saw slightly improved results on the "V5" compare to V4.
Context: it was posted 2 month and half ago, when lherre decided to come out of his lair in answer to my very first message to confirm that Wii U was clearly closer to "2x than 5x xbox360". And he basically added that the expected more advanced dev kit in Nintendo headquarters at the time that i've talked about will not change dramatically the Wii U power status. So he surely knew of these engine benchmarks before my intervention, maybe some days, maybe some weeks.
Assumption: considering the at least 3 months interval between these internal tests and the V5 delivery to third-parties (minus the dev kits assembly and shipping), there's a good chance that the V5 dev kits in the hands of foreign studios have received even more hardware refinements and optimizations than the models used for these Nintendo tests some time before. More about that in this following message.

Additional infos:

- Third-parties have one month to adapt to these new dev kits and to what they bring (in terms of performances increase, hardware modifications, and new features) until E3.
- As they are tagged "Mass Production", they are final. Maybe there will be later revisions with small refinements here and there, but nothing drastic, except changes of plans from Nintendo. So the hardware is stable now.
- One of the dev kit aspect (in comparison to the v4 ones) is... original
- Teasing part: besides possible improvement of the system power (slight to moderate though), there is at least one additional good news that come with them. It's not necessarily the obvious ones :p

Still interesting to know that they are the mass produced models, and are supplied to third-parties just now.

This.

TriGen

The main screen should be like a tv broadcast showing the most interesting parts of the race. so people in the party can be interested in watching what is going on. However I liked 4 way splitscreen and watching all the mayhem on the other peoples screens when they get griefed.

A broadcast mode while you see what's going on with the sub-screen, is a really cool idea I haven't even thought of before. The same could go for some sports games.

A broadcast mode while you see what's going on with the sub-screen, is a really cool idea I haven't even thought of before. The same could go for some sports games.

This broadcast can also be viewed remotely by other people online via stream instead of the old replay mode.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Or shooters, for that matter. Would look much more interesting to onlookers with a nice cinematic view on the TV screen.

Could it be something like Wii chips being confirmed in there for perfect BC? Wii U games having access to these chips outside of BC? Or is that too obvious?

antonz

six core or six threads? I didn't know it was six cores as it was not mentioned in the original semi accurate article

As far as I know as you say how many cores etc was never mentioned in the article and as Iposted earlier a SI GPU doesnt mean anything it could be a 7570 or a 7670 which would be reasonable for the Wii U and not monster powered

Could it be something like Wii chips being confirmed in there for perfect BC? Wii U games having access to these chips outside of BC? Or is that too obvious?

It shouldn't need them, really.
The way the system is designed, it'll likely have a lot of that built in in some way or another.

Question: Does launch certification work differently for publishers? Are games really out of their hands aside from QA for three months before release? With such tight schedules, i would imagine hardware makers have exceptions to this. Especially if the OS or online infrastructure stuff isnt in their hands yet.

Or shooters, for that matter. Would look much more interesting to onlookers with a nice cinematic view on the TV screen.

you can call it director mode and have either another player control the action or let the wiiU do it all for you. May provide an avenue for competitive gaming. maybe even show the faces of each player as they play in a tiny box when showing their current position on screen on the side rather than mario's face or something

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Unreal Engine 4.0 support would make everyone happy & would definitely be new thread worthy..hmmm.

Yeah, it would, although the other thread has a quote that says the intended platforms for UE 4.0 haven't been announced yet.

NateDrake

Yeah, it would, although the other thread has a quote that says the intended platforms for UE 4.0 haven't been announced yet.

Yeah, saw that thread after posting that statement here. We did have speculation of WiiU being able to support UE4 & had Epic confirmed "announced platforms" could run UE4 it would take away from any E3 announcement planned.

It's a bit more than speculation if the Wii U can run UE4.
It most certainly should be able to.
The question, however, is if publishers will bother still making versions of UE4 games for the Wii U.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Epic want to focus UE4 around very high-end hardware and features the current consoles are incapable of so that they can sell a bunch of new licenses to studios that would otherwise be happy with UE3. Wii U was never going to be a big priority for them. It doesn't align with their business model.

Linkup

Oh, shit, that's a good one!

…so's the one under it, but IM said it isn't something on the controller

Yeah I throw it in there for fun. It's most likely 2 pad support as that is what devs asked for and it's certainly possible.

4 pads would take both a render hit and lag hit right? Not happening with something like Mario Kart.

TunaLover

Even if Wii U could run UE4, developers will not port their games to Wii U.

The problem is Nintendo perception not system power.

*sigh*

tkscz

Hmmm... the WiiU might be the go to system next gen. The UE4 engine is going for that AAAA that Epic wanted, the cost for that would be insane. Nintendo maybe the smarts ones this round by buying middle ware to be used (making it so that making a custom engine would probably be cheaper), and making a console that out powers this gen, but still keep dev cost at a point where they don't have to waste a shit ton of money to make a game.

Don't get me wrong, this could easily backfire. Shovel wear may bog down the WiiU like it did the Wii for the same reasons.

japtor

Epic want to focus UE4 around very high-end hardware and features the current consoles are incapable of so that they can sell a bunch of new licenses to studios that would otherwise be happy with UE3. Wii U was never going to be a big priority for them. It doesn't align with their business model.
On the other hand it could be scalable enough for everything down to mobile games so they can sell to everyone rather than limiting themselves to the high end.

BurntPork

Banned

It's very likely that Wii U will have those features. They're been standard since 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom