• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunan

Still makes me hope that Nintendo opts for a slightly earlier launch than expected, just so that third party titles have a bit more oxygen to breathe between Launch Day and the end of the holiday shopping season..
I really want an October release, if only so I could get it sooner. Also, it would give everyone a few months to roll out their launch games for the holidays.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
lol, what for?

...I'm surely one of the people you want to yell about?

Fine, but I get to be Mystique.

I'm Red Robin ohh yeah.

5qoqG.png

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Ace got banned? Had it coming if you ask me. Him and Poo would jump on anyone that said anything against nintendo. I love nintendo as a company but they have a lot to prove with this upcoming gen and they have made a ton of mistakes. If their games weren't so good, they wouldn't be around today.
My sister's boy friend made a statement almost identical to that... and it remains one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard. It's a generic statement that's oblivious to reality and its own circular logic. I've heard it others places, and its always used to justify some type of resentment: "The Yankees would suck if they didn't have so much money."

HylianTom

Banned
I really want an October release, if only so I could get it sooner. Also, it would give everyone a few months to roll out their launch games for the holidays.

Same here. September is a bit too soon for my tastes. But October.. absolute perfection.

What is Nintendo banking on once the other two consoles have been released?

Unique features? An established userbase? Or will success simply (once again) come to its own franchises - both new and old - keeping it afloat?

Or is it banking on its competitors only going with a marginal increase in power?

antonz

What is Nintendo banking on once the other two consoles have been released?

Unique features? An established userbase? Or will success simply (once again) come to its own franchises - both new and old - keeping it afloat?

Or is it banking on its competitors only going with a marginal increase in power?

Thats the real question. I imagine they are hoping that by a year or more headstart it allows them a userbase thats appealing. BUT it goes back to everything I keep saying and people poo pooing. Nintendo Fans need to buy 3rd party titles.

Yes it may be unfair that Nintendo fans face it but thats the hand they have been dealt. Just look in this thread people list a bunch of 3rd party titles and yet people are maybe buying 1 or 2 and the ones being bought arent the major 3rd party titles that will win or lose support.

We already see the issue 3rd parties are facing now. Most teams were put togeather with 2 consoles in mind 360/PS3. So They have to bring in more people to work on the WiiU version. If they find out the sales dont add up they wont bother

Nah, I'm just playing. Though I think you did make a post to the effect of "LOL you guys watch old E3 press conferences, weirdos" which rubbed me the wrong way.

My sister's boy friend made a statement almost identical to that... and it remains one of the stupidest comments I've ever heard. It's a generic statement that's oblivious to reality and its own circular logic. I've heard it others places, and its always used to justify some type of resentment: "The Yankees would suck if they didn't have so much money."

You see it your way and I'll see it mine. They have very compelling software. Software so compelling that they have managed to make a shit ton of money and be around and extremely profitable today. I have no resentment against nintendo if that's what you are ensuing or assuming. They are just so backwards in a lot of ways but they have it where it counts: games.

You think they'd be around if all their IPs just fell off like Sonic? They way they've protected and innovated everyone of their IPs is impressive. Maybe your rebuttal works for other people but on me it's certainly mistaken.

They have surgeries for that.
It's the testicles that worry me.

Looking at me all shiftless. Ready to explode at the smallest vibration.

Now though? I'd make one really ugly woman. If I could have done something before puberty started I wouldn't have been the hottest woman, but I could have still pulled off the fem swagger.

I got the wrong body type for a late age transition. That's fine though. Nature screwed up. Shit happens. I'm okay living as a deranged male. I mean, yes it's always been strange looking down and seeing a penis, but hell I could have not been born at all.

Funny thing? My mom knew I'd be born a girl, and she had a name picked out. Tyara Dawn. Goofy? Uh-huh. But I always liked it.

After all that I can't be queen? I'll take princess if it's up for grabs.

cloudyy

Thats the real question. I imagine they are hoping that by a year or more headstart it allows them a userbase thats appealing. BUT it goes back to everything I keep saying and people poo pooing. Nintendo Fans need to buy 3rd party titles.

Yes it may be unfair that Nintendo fans face it but thats the hand they have been dealt. Just look in this thread people list a bunch of 3rd party titles and yet people are maybe buying 1 or 2 and the ones being bought arent the major 3rd party titles that will win or lose support.

We already see the issue 3rd parties are facing now. Most teams were put togeather with 2 consoles in mind 360/PS3. So They have to bring in more people to work on the WiiU version. If they find out the sales dont add up they wont bother
Ewww, 3rd party titles on my nintendo system! I mean, if those aren't that good, why would a nintendo fan buy them? Just for the sake of it?

zroid

Banned
Looking over these last couple pages, it is quite clear to me now why this thread was dumped in the community forum lol

antonz

Ewww, 3rd party titles on my nintendo system! I mean, if those aren't that good, why would a nintendo fan buy them? Just for the sake of it?

Well I dont think they need to buy every 3rd party title that comes out. But there are certainly flagship titles that if they get poor support 3rd parties will quickly Gamecube the system. Nintendo fans cant cry for 3rd party support then ignore the major titles and expect 3rd parties to keep trying

Said it before and i'll say i again: we nintendo fans need to step our fucking game up and put our money where our mouths are.

Resident Evil 6
Tomb Raider
Half Life 3
Bioshock Infinite
Bordernlands 2
Assassin's Creed 3
GTA V
Aliens CM
Darksiders II
Call of Duty: Blops 2
Cloudberry Kingdom
Castlevania LOS2
Rayman Legends

You tell me that out of all these titles that could show up on the WiiU, some of you can't even find three of them appealing? We have to do our part.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Looking over these last couple pages, it is quite clear to me now why this thread was dumped in the community forum lol

No, I think the real reason is that the Xbox Gafers were sending in letters complaining about there being too many Nintendo topics on the first page. So this was moved.

Pretty harsh to label Nintendo fans the problem. It's never that simple and each third party game on the Wii that failed to meet expectations would have its own reason(s) for doing so.

My concern for Nintendo is whether or not third-party games will make it to the system or not once the new boys roll around in 2013 or 2014. It depends a lot on what Sony and Microsoft are doing, but it's also really important for Nintendo to establish momentum right away and get a leg-up in its initial one or two years on the market.

I need to start posting in this thread more I've been lurking for awhile, but it usually moves so fast it's hard to make posts that are relevant.

To stay on topic though what do you think are the chances of Nintendo or anyone bringing along Wii U versions of games to play to the GameStop Expo that's going on in Texas on Aug. 29th?

I'm not a huge fan of GS myself but for a chance to play Wii U early it might be worth the trouble.

zroid

Banned
Said it before and i'll say i again: we nintendo fans need to step our fucking game up and put our money where our mouths are.

Resident Evil 6
Tomb Raider
Half Life 3
Bioshock Infinite
Bordernlands 2
Assassin's Creed 3
GTA V
Aliens CM
Darksiders II
Call of Duty: Blops 2
Cloudberry Kingdom
Castlevania LOS2

You tell me that out of all these titles that could show up on the WiiU, some of you can't even find three of them appealing? We have to do our part.

Unless something goes horribly wrong in the porting process for any of them, these are the games for which I will purchase the Wii U version of, if given the option. (not necessarily on day 1 though)

antonz

Pretty harsh to label Nintendo fans the problem. It's never that simple and each third party game on the Wii that failed to meet expectations would have its own reason(s) for doing so.

My concern for Nintendo is whether or not third-party games will make it to the system or not once the new boys roll around in 2013 or 2014. It depends a lot on what Sony and Microsoft are doing, but it's also really important for Nintendo to establish momentum right away and get a leg-up in its initial one or two years on the market.

Its certainly not exclusively Nintendo fans bieng the problem for sure. 3rd parties treated the Gamecube like crap in the port schedules etc.

Its just when you list 15+ major 3rd party titles and people have trouble picking 3 they would actually play thats discouraging for 3rd parties. Rayman Legends is not the title Ubisoft is using to test success for instance yet its one of the more popular have to have options.
3rd party games will continue after the 720 and PS4 are out if sales are good enough to warrant it is what it basically comes down too.

Somnia

I need to start posting in this thread more I've been lurking for awhile, but it usually moves so fast it's hard to make posts that are relevant.

To stay on topic though what do you think are the chances of Nintendo or anyone bringing along Wii U versions of games to play to the GameStop Expo that's going on in Texas on Aug. 29th?

I'm not a huge fan of GS myself but for a chance to play Wii U early it might be worth the trouble.

As a GS manager I can assure you the WiiU will be there. Nintendo are doing big things to get GS employees attention to talk about it. At E3 this year if you work for GameStop and are going they are letting you in 1 1/2 hours early on Wednesday to Nintendos booth only to play WiiU without the crowd.

Also remember with that Expo, there wont be much if any GameStop people around other than some employees who are paid just to watch over the show (security, badge checkers, etc.) as the managers themselves will be in their conference rooms during that show, we see the Expo the night before, this is for FANS only, the devs, publishers, etc. are running the public show.

Unless something goes horribly wrong in the porting process for any of them, these are the games for which I will purchase the Wii U version of, if given the option. (not necessarily on day 1 though)

Yes. That's what I'm talking about. Some ninty fans just want to know that the games are there and that's it. The equivalent of a tease really.

Its certainly not exclusively Nintendo fans bieng the problem for sure. 3rd parties treated the Gamecube like crap in the port schedules etc.

Its just when you list 15+ major 3rd party titles and people have trouble picking 3 they would actually play thats discouraging for 3rd parties. Rayman Legends is not the title Ubisoft is using to test success for instance yet its one of the more popular have to have options.
3rd party games will continue after the 720 and PS4 are out if sales are good enough to warrant it is what it basically comes down too.

I've tried to fight the third party fight. I've tried to say that ninty needs to position the system to run UE4 in case that becomes the de facto third party engine. But i've had several posters basically say fuck third parties. I will gladly buy excellent third party games for my WiiU provided that they run well and are not gimped and watered down.

As a GS manager I can assure you the WiiU will be there. Nintendo are doing big things to get GS employees attention to talk about it. At E3 this year if you work for GameStop and are going they are letting you in 1 1/2 hours early on Wednesday to Nintendos booth only to play WiiU without the crowd.

Also remember with that Expo, there wont be much if any GameStop people around other than some employees who are paid just to watch over the show (security, badge checkers, etc.) as the managers themselves will be in their conference rooms during that show, we see the Expo the night before, this is for FANS only, the devs, publishers, etc. are running the public show.

This is really great to here. It's totally worth the cost IMO to try out the controller before the launch.

Emitan

It's the testicles that worry me.

Looking at me all shiftless. Ready to explode at the smallest vibration.

Now though? I'd make one really ugly woman. If I could have done something before puberty started I wouldn't have been the hottest woman, but I could have still pulled off the fem swagger.

I got the wrong body type for a late age transition. That's fine though. Nature screwed up. Shit happens. I'm okay living as a deranged male. I mean, yes it's always been strange looking down and seeing a penis, but hell I could have not been born at all.

Funny thing? My mom knew I'd be born a girl, and she had a name picked out. Tyara Dawn. Goofy? Uh-huh. But I always liked it.

After all that I can't be queen? I'll take princess if it's up for grabs.
You should still try :(

I can't imagine choosing not to transition.

That is very interesting to hear. Did not know it worked that way.

Fou-Lu

Man, I leave this thread for a couple days after it moves to Community and Ace gets banned? I'll miss you bro, especially when E3 comes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom