• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through the last 30 pages is rather sobering. AceBandage, SaintMadeOfPlaster, TheGreatMightyPoo, jump_button, themadcowtipper, all banned. Some permanent, too.

Then again, Nirolak's posts were fairly reassuring all the same. Appreciate the heads-up about the "don't vaguely insult GAF collectively" thing (although ideally you shouldn't be insulting anyone, anyway...).

Don't worry guys, the moon is big enough to doom all of us

iKTiXyXly6fAe.jpg
I want to be doomed :(

Said it before and i'll say i again: we nintendo fans need to step our fucking game up and put our money where our mouths are.

Resident Evil 6
Tomb Raider
Half Life 3
Bioshock Infinite
Bordernlands 2
Assassin's Creed 3
GTA V
Aliens CM
Darksiders II
Call of Duty: Blops 2
Cloudberry Kingdom
Castlevania LOS2
Rayman Legends

You tell me that out of all these titles that could show up on the WiiU, some of you can't even find three of them appealing? We have to do our part.
Well, the problem here is that I have a perfectly good gaming PC, and a lot of those are going to be present on PC, and generally superior on PC at that. Granted, I'll probably opt for Nintendo for any console multiplatform games that aren't available on PC, or have serious issues on PC that playing on a console would avoid, but if a superior version of a game is available on something I already have, I'm not sure I'd opt for a Wii U version just to show support for something. I've found that buying something just to show support for it doesn't amount to much in the long-run... For instance, my buying Klonoa on the Wii sure didn't help its sales numbers out much. For another example, I deliberately gave patronage to a used gaming store that had hit hard times (due to changes in the county's rules for pawn shops that managed to include them in the mix), but they still ended up closing down.

That being said, I'd totally buy Half-Life 3, because I am a sucker for Valve like that. Ideally, I'd get the PC version for free through that - I mean, I bought the PS3 version of Portal 2 for that reason... Other than that, Rayman Legends and Castlevania are likely. Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite will probably be better on PC (FPS games typically are - mouse-aiming is seriously unparalleled). I have no interest in the rest, no matter WHAT console they came out for - and since I have issues with buying games I never play despite liking their content, I'd rather not buy games I won't play since I don't care for their content. (I might try out GTAV. Might.)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Couldn't you separate the gimmes and give each card a fixed number of them?

Yeah, I could add a column for "probability" and then do separate queries to build the data set. THe problem isn't so much how many of the sure things they have on a card but if they end up with three+ in the same column. I think the sollution may be to just limit those type of items to less than 10, so that odds are low that they end up on the same line together. For example, I'll probably drop Bill Trinen.

Another concern I have is that there will be long streches in the conference where no items are on bingo cards. I'm trying to rack my brain for stuff that happens when they aren't talking about games. Marketing bullet points and "memes".

Ace? ACE!? AAAACCCCEEEEE!!!!

Now I have no one to agree with me that Retro SHOULD be working on a modern day take on the Star Tropics franchise.

:( Sad day at the Wii U thread.

So I'm just curious guys,

What ports that have already been announced for Wii U are you most likely buying ?

Assassins Creed 3?
Rayman Legends?
Darksiders 2?
Alien Colonial Marines?
Metro Last Light?
Batman: Arkham City?
Project Cars?
Dirt?
Ninja Gaiden 3 (lol haha yeah right) ?

Definitely Darksiders 2, most likely Rayman Legends. AC3 depends on if they fix the stuff that stopped me from finishing AC1, and 2, but hell that determines if I buy it at all. Alien Colonial Marines is a most likely. Batman, depends on price and if it includes the DLC. Definitely not NG3, or Dirt. I need to look into them more for Project Cars, and Metro. I would add Tomb Raider to the definites if it comes to the system.

Hiltz

Resident Evil 6 - I'd buy it. That is, as long as it's not too much not like RE 5.
Tomb Raider - I've never been interested in TR until now. Too bad it ain't coming to Wii U.
Half Life 3 - Nope.
Bioshock Infinite - I'd give it a chance.
Borderlands 2 - Never played the first one, but I'd probably give it a chance.
Assassin's Creed 3 - Never played it, but may give it a chance if it's not too much like PoP.
GTA V - Never. Ever.
Aliens CM - I'd give it a chance just for being a big Aliens fan.
Darksiders II - Never played the first one, but I'd buy it.
Call of Duty: Blops 2 - Never.
Cloudberry Kingdom - It's supposed to be super hard, right ? No thanks.
Castlevania LOS 2 - This is like a gothic God of War, right ? Maybe.
Rayman Legends - I feel guilty for not having played Origins so I'll support this one.
Batman: Arkham City - Sure. I haven't played the first title, but it's been a long time since I have played a good licensed game anyway.
Project Cars - Racing games are boring unless their arcade-style. So no.
Metro: Last Light - Haven't seen enough of it yet.

Hiltz

You hit the nail on the head of why I won't be buying this for any system. It's not Castlevania, it's God of War with a Castlevania skin over it, and that made me sad.

That's what would bug me about it too. However, as long as it's actually good, I could see myself overlooking that issue.

Linkhero1

Resident Evil 6 - I'd buy it. That is, as long as it's not too much not like RE 5.

It will be very similar to RE5 judging by the trailers, which is why I'm going to avoid this. I could care less if it comes to the Wii U or not to be honest. RE5 was one of my biggest disappointments this gen.

You hit the nail on the head of why I won't be buying this for any system. It's not Castlevania, it's God of War with a Castlevania skin over it, and that made me sad.

My brother bought it for the 360 and I've avoided playing it because of this. I'm currently playing through Rondo of Blood on the VC and this is what I want from a Castlevania game.

Said it before and i'll say i again: we nintendo fans need to step our fucking game up and put our money where our mouths are.

Resident Evil 6
Tomb Raider
Half Life 3
Bioshock Infinite
Bordernlands 2
Assassin's Creed 3
GTA V
Aliens CM
Darksiders II
Cloudberry Kingdom
Castlevania LOS2
Rayman Legends

You tell me that out of all these titles that could show up on the WiiU, some of you can't even find three of them appealing? We have to do our part.
I'll do my part and buy them when i get money. Hopefully one 3rd party game at launch.

However, if there is no achievement system on Wii U where I can view other peoples achievements at the very least, the I don't really see a point in getting them over a version that has achievemnts/trophies. I myself don't go for achievements/trophies most of the time, but I like comparing stuff to others anyway.

I am only a few trophies behind Ice! I shall catch up!

capcom knew about wiiu months before E3 2011. Given how quick they had mt framework up and running on the 3DS is RE6 at launch that impossible to imagine?

RedSwirl

Well, the problem here is that I have a perfectly good gaming PC, and a lot of those are going to be present on PC, and generally superior on PC at that. Granted, I'll probably opt for Nintendo for any console multiplatform games that aren't available on PC, or have serious issues on PC that playing on a console would avoid, but if a superior version of a game is available on something I already have, I'm not sure I'd opt for a Wii U version just to show support for something. I've found that buying something just to show support for it doesn't amount to much in the long-run... For instance, my buying Klonoa on the Wii sure didn't help its sales numbers out much. For another example, I deliberately gave patronage to a used gaming store that had hit hard times (due to changes in the county's rules for pawn shops that managed to include them in the mix), but they still ended up closing down.

That being said, I'd totally buy Half-Life 3, because I am a sucker for Valve like that. Ideally, I'd get the PC version for free through that - I mean, I bought the PS3 version of Portal 2 for that reason... Other than that, Rayman Legends and Castlevania are likely. Borderlands 2 and Bioshock Infinite will probably be better on PC (FPS games typically are - mouse-aiming is seriously unparalleled). I have no interest in the rest, no matter WHAT console they came out for - and since I have issues with buying games I never play despite liking their content, I'd rather not buy games I won't play since I don't care for their content. (I might try out GTAV. Might.)

I'm in the same boat as I said above, but what if Wii U versions started running in 1080p60? Regardless of the chances of that actually happening, just for the sake of argument. If the game doesn't have serious tech enhancements on PC (a lot of ports don't), then at that point a 1080p60 console version would run as well as it ever would on PC. I think that's the only case where I'd consider a Wii U version over a PC version - or if it made REALLY compelling use of the tablet.

Linkhero1

capcom knew about wiiu months before E3 2011. Given how quick they had mt framework up and running on the 3DS is RE6 at launch that impossible to imagine?

The only reason people say it's not possible is because Capcom themselves said it's not in development at this time. Unless they're lying, we won't see RE6 on the Wii U anytime soon.

antonz

The issue and this is one Nintendo is gonna face alot initially is development resources. Publishers and Studios are used to the twins and have built their teams around twins. Now we have triplets and that poses a problem.

Hiltz

It will be very similar to RE5 judging by the trailers, which is why I'm going to avoid this. I could care less if it comes to the Wii U or not to be honest. RE5 was one of my biggest disappointments this gen.

It's got a 50/50 chance. The trailer looks cool so that's what got me excited. Of course, the same thing happened with RE 5... so.

Linkhero1

It's got a 50/50 chance. The trailer looks cool so that's what got me excited. Of course, the same thing happened with RE 5... so.

It looked alright. Leon's part looks like it will be fun to play but Chris and the other dude's parts didn't look too good and gave me flashbacks to RE5. I'll probably end up playing it some time down the road, but I don't think I'm willing to spend $60 on it.

Tomb Raider doesn't really tickle my fancy - and I actually kind of liked earlier installments (starting with the one on the Saturn with the janky-as-hell controls - although I played Legends later on the 360 and much, much preferred it). I dunno, I don't really want a survival game where the fairly strong-willed Lara Croft is reduced to a screaming wreck (going by the demo at MS's 2011 E3 conference) - even taking into consideration that this is more or less where she gained her iron will. Still, I can see a market for that kind of thing (the survival, that is, not so much the screaming), so I've no real problems with it existing - I just don't intend to buy it.

Hiltz

Being delayed to 2013 (hopefully Q2) gives me hope :D

Hope: mankind's greatest strength and greatest weakness. Honestly, I wouldn't count on it.

It's been many years since I have played a third-person shooter besides Gears of War 1 and Blackhand Edition. Maybe we will see another Tomb Raider announcement 2-3 years from now.

WhyMe6

Resident Evil 6
Tomb Raider
Half Life 3 <-- Lolwut?
Bioshock Infinite
Borderlands 2
Assassin's Creed 3
GTA V
Aliens CM
Darksiders II
Cloudberry Kingdom
Castlevania LOS2
Rayman Legends

For the bolded titles - the ones I'm actually interested in - unless there's either a noticeable visual upgrade or some amazing extra features, I'll most likely be picking them up on 360. Why? Established userbase for multiplayer, massive hard drive for extra content, frequent sales on DLC, achievements, and prices drop like a rock in PAL regions (many games hit <$30 very quickly) on 360 console games.

I'll move my third party collection to Wii U if:

- Third parties produce noticeable visual upgrades on games.
- Nintendo's online system is at least as good as Microsoft's.
- Nintendo's eShop is at least as good as Microsoft's/Sony's - discounts pls.
- The Wii U's storage system is not a pain in the arse.
- Nintendo offers me an alternative system to achievements (all they need to do is provide play coins as an achievement-like system and allow them to be used in mini games ala the 3DS or other cool connectivity features! IT'S NOT THAT HARD NINTENDO).

Well, not all of those, of course, but a selection would be nice.

Roo

Hope: mankind's greatest strength and greatest weakness. Honestly, I wouldn't count on it.

It's not like I'm dying to see a Wii U version of the game but it definitely would be nice to see it since I bought the last two TR games for my Wii. If they don't make a Wii U version happen I'm ok with that.
I'll have to borrow a PS3 anyway :p

joshwaan

Has Nintendo said or promised to reveal the final technical specs for the Wii U at this years E3?

Not that I know of, but there is a meeting with the some hardware guys to take place on 6th or 7th of June from what someone posted here not long ago. So maybe they talk about GPU and CPU, one can hope :)

Edit: I'm trying to hunt down the quote atm hehe :p

Daante

Not that I know of, but there is a meeting with the some hardware guys to take place on 6th or 7th of June from what someone posted here not long ago. So maybe they talk about GPU and CPU, one can hope :)

Edit: I'm trying to hunt down the quote atm hehe :p

Okay.

But if they are aiming at releasing the Wii U at this years holiday season the final specs must kinda be "locked" around this years E3 right?

Okay.

But if they are aiming at releasing the Wii U at this years holiday season the final specs must kinda be "locked" around this years E3 right?

Even if they are locked in at this point Nintendo is usually pretty hush on actual specs until right before or after launch.

Did they even officially release the specs of the Wii or did someone do a tear down to look at the actual components inside?

Now there are a few specs I can see them releasing at or around E3 like amount of RAM, amount of space and what format (flash, hard drive, whatever).

GCX

Okay.

Yeah but I don't think Nintendo ever released the exact specs of Wii or 3DS so don't get your hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom