• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

[Not related to Wii U but it could in the end] Capcom trademarked "Remember Me" for a game

remember-me.png

Who was it that wanted the Anthony Higgs spinoff lol.

onilink88

the bold ones are already available to developers, or planned to be available in the documentation they can access.

Some of the rest are maybe activated also (those linked to the camera, they weren't accessible a few months ago but it could have changed with newer sdk revisions) or expected as they advertised these at E3 2011, and as disclosed here, they left huge room for the OS/system functions.

Nothing about OS-level screencapturing? That's disappointing. :(

chris3116

I read many posts about the power for Wii U VS the others 2 and the 3rd party support.

I really don't care which console is the most powerful. As for me, it's the software first. If Wii U is a success right at the launch and for the next 2 years, 3rd party developers will have no choice to support to the console. It will not be a Wii situation again. If the 3rd party snubbed the console right now, they will be stupid.

The Wii at the first years was a success but the 3rd party snubbed the console and they backed up the HD twins. And now, many of them are now either in red or totally bankrupted (Take THQ or Sega). Yeah, I can see the PS4 and Xbox 3 to be more powerful but then again for what expense. Both consoles will be the paradise for the huge 3rd pary companies (EA, Activision,...) and not for the mid-range developers unless you're on digital services like XBLA or PSN or Nintendo eShop. If it costs over 10 millions to make a PS4/Xbox3, the small developers won't bring anything to them.

As for the games, Nintendo needs to make an alternative library to the Xbox 3/PS4. Both consoles will bring shooters and most western multiplatform games. Nintendo needs to make an unique ecosystem with some key 3rd party multiplatform games, moneyhat or make deals like publishing for some 3rd party exclusives, bring more 1st party and 2nd party that are for the core if the Wii U is attending to be.

As for the market leadership, I think it's now irrevelant. The console must be profitable for Nntendo or any manufactuers first. If Sony or Microsoft are market leader and they don't make money, it will mean nothing especially for Sony with their huge losses years after years. If they bring a console for $500 or more with the supposed specs, I could see them failing.

There's no relationship between performance and OpenGL version. Not that it matters, because Nintendo doesn't even use standard APIs to begin with.
In the past Nintendo used something *very close* to OpenGL, and on the 3DS you can use OpenGL ES (with extensions for its special features). I'm pretty sure the Wii-U will support OpenGL ES.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Nothing about OS-level screencapturing? That's disappointing. :(

Oh i bet it will be available, it may already be the case and i just don't know it, or it could be tied with the completion of the OS, the dashboard, etc, so it's not ready yet.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Even prior to E3 GAF is fluctuating. I wonder if it can keep itself alive during E3.

Also, am I the only one who's very curious in what the Japanese devs have in store for WiiU? I know they haven't leaked anything yet, but maybe we'll see some tidbits in E3? Or maybe in TGS?

HylianTom

Banned
Even prior to E3 GAF is fluctuating. I wonder if it can keep itself alive during E3.

Also, am I the only one who's very curious in what the Japanese devs have in store for WiiU? I know they haven't leaked anything yet, but maybe we'll see some tidbits in E3? Or maybe in TGS?
Extremely curious. I think that they're Nintendo's best hope for substantial third-party support.

Linkhero1

One week!

unfortunately, Sony and Microsoft's conferences are looking worse and worse by the day. Game delays and no shows galore. Hopefully they have a few surprises.

is konami having an early "Press conference" this year?

I think Konami has a recorded video package this year. I believe it's this week actually, but I'm not 100% sure.

Oddduck

I read many posts about the power for Wii U VS the others 2 and the 3rd party support.

I really don't care which console is the most powerful. As for me, it's the software first. If Wii U is a success right at the launch and for the next 2 years, 3rd party developers will have no choice to support to the console. It will not be a Wii situation again. If the 3rd party snubbed the console right now, they will be stupid.

The Wii at the first years was a success but the 3rd party snubbed the console and they backed up the HD twins. And now, many of them are now either in red or totally bankrupted (Take THQ or Sega). Yeah, I can see the PS4 and Xbox 3 to be more powerful but then again for what expense. Both consoles will be the paradise for the huge 3rd pary companies (EA, Activision,...) and not for the mid-range developers unless you're on digital services like XBLA or PSN or Nintendo eShop. If it costs over 10 millions to make a PS4/Xbox3, the small developers won't bring anything to them.

The Wii U's third party support won't be bad. It just won't be great.

It will ride the wave of 360/PS3 ports for the next 2 years so it should get plenty of support from now until end of 2014. And it has more modern technology, so I could see it get some downports of Durango/PS4 games.

But here's the thing. Do Nintendo gamers want to buy a downport of a Durango/PS4 game?

When Nintendo fans are told that the Wii U is getting the "downport" of a third party game, that doesn't make a Nintendo fan want to rush out and buy the Wii U version of that specific third party game.

Even if they have no other consoles, they'd probably rather buy the PC version.

One would hope so, but it's already looking like the system will miss out on a much larger percentage of multiplatform titles than I would have expected before, say, last E3. I would not, for instance, be surprised if none of the major titles recently delayed from Q4 into Q1 of next year (BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, South Park, DmC, etc.) end up on Wii U, at least not until well after the PS3/360 versions.

I really want to believe that Wii U will be the first Nintendo console since SNES to be well-supported by third parties for the entirety of its normal lifespan, but it'll take a lot of good news at E3 (and good sales figures for core software after it actually launches) to convince me that its third-party support isn't going to end up a victim of either Nintendo's own past decisions, or of Nintendo's arguable focus on the controller over future-proofing the hardware.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Extremely.

Linkhero1

The Wii U's third party support won't be bad. It just won't be great.

It will ride the wave of 360/PS3 ports for the next 2 years so it should get plenty of support. And it has more modern technology, so I could see it get some downports of Durango/PS4 games.

But here's the thing. Do Nintendo gamers want to buy a downport of a Durango/PS4 game?

When Nintendo fans are told that the Wii U is getting the "downport" of a third party game, that doesn't make a Nintendo fan want to rush out and buy the Wii U version.

Just like with PS2, Wii U only-owners will most likely buy downports. Unless they own a PC, I see this as the likely scenario. If the downports are noticeably different and suffer a lot of issues that will cause me to nag, I will have to buy a secondary console for those third party games. Judging by what bg has stated in the past few threads, I don't think this will be a problem.

HylianTom

Banned
If it's a game I'm interested in, I'll certainly grab it. I don't really care what form the game comes in on the other consoles.

Just my personal take.. but Nintendo fans who complain about third-party support on Nintendo systems and then proceed to "vote with their money" elsewhere absolutely boggle my mind. If they were truly serious about that complaint, they'd act accordingly, one would think..

Linkhero1

As sad as it is, I didn't enjoy much Japanese developed games this gen. The majority of my favorite were mostly Western developed. I'm talking in terms of third party because Nintendo does a fantastic job.

So far I'm only interested in a new 2D Castlevania game for the Wii U, but that might not happen. Actually, I would love a Ys game on the Wii U too.

Oddduck

If it's a game I'm interested in, I'll certainly grab it. I don't really care what form the game comes in on the other consoles.

Just my personal take.. but Nintendo fans who complain about third-party support on Nintendo systems and then proceed to "vote with their money" elsewhere absolutely boggle my mind. If they were truly serious about that complaint, they'd act accordingly, one would think..

When Wii U gets the best console versions of games, I will "vote with my money".

For example, in my opinion, Wii U is getting the best console versions of Alien Colonial Marines, Darksiders 2, Metro Last Light, and Assassins Creed 3.

So I'll be buying all of those for Wii U. Yeah PC might get the best overall version, but I don't play PC. But as far as consoles go, Wii U will get the best versions of those specific games. So I'll buy them for Wii U.

wsippel

Banned
AH HA. I knew I was right. On the GT boards someone kept telling me Nintendo used OpenGL when I said they used their own custom API.
The 3DS actually does support a customized version of OpenGL called DMPGL (OpenGL|ES 1.1 plus GL|ES Extension Pack plus Maestro extensions), but its use is discouraged in the official documentation.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
lherre comments about Wii U - PS4/720 gap, has made my hype went down the toilet u___u

But nothing has changed. He and the others have been saying the same thing for months now.

After tackling blu and putting him in a figure four leg lock, he finally responded to me. So for those also interested here it is.

Ah, ok, so I was missing some context here. Not surprised. Ok, I'll try to address things by parts.

Re normal mapping on the TEV - to the best of my recollections (which I cannot verify right now) the TEV did not have a dot-product instruction, which is otherwise important for efficient normal mapping. So TEV would have been able to use normal mapping at a notable drop of fillrate, due to the need to re-construct the dot-product via multiple TEV stages. Which was not much of a loss for native titles as those could use EMBM if not to the same effect, then to a quite similar effect; you could get EMBM to properly shade slopes, though IIRC it brakes at extreme slopes, while 'vanilla' normal mapping is more robust, can work easily with mutliple light sources, etc. Basically, when in Rome do like the romans: Flipper was the EMBM machine.

Re any optimisation of hw to handle better displacement over tessellation - that's more or less what the dx11 modifications to the pipeline do - they make tessellation with subsequent displacement much more efficient compared to the prev generations of tessellation implementations. Otherwise, the tessellator/patch evaluator itself can be a fixed-function part no-problem - AAMOF, it was already such in some older (aka pre-Kepler) NV parts. What nintendo *could* tweak, though, is drop some domain shading flexibility and "fuse" tessellation with displacement mapping (i.e. some flavor of the multitudes of algorithms that do that), in an all-fixed-function block, pica200-style. Such a block could have a couple of modes like 'with displacement', 'without displacement', etc. That could, in theory, allow them to keep (unified) shader ALUs free from the domain shading business (where a domain shader is invoked once per tessellated coordinate, i.e. a single data unit coming from the tessellator), thus saving ALUs for actual pixel/geometry/whatever shading. Of course, that's just hypothesizing on my part, as I'm not aware if that would be a net transistor gain, or not. So take is as such, please ; )

His hypothesizing is what I was trying to get at, I just didn't know how to get there.

One week... one week...

One week!

dancingsparta.gif

unfortunately, Sony and Microsoft's conferences are looking worse and worse by the day. Game delays and no shows galore. Hopefully they have a few surprises.

is konami having an early "Press conference" this year?

I agree. It would be nice if MS leaves the child actors at home this year.

If the 3rd party snubbed the console right now, they will be stupid.

I need to see them prove it before giving them that kind of benefit of the doubt.

BY2K

Membero Americo
the bold ones are already available to developers, or planned to be available in the documentation they can access.

Some of the rest are maybe activated also (those linked to the camera, they weren't accessible a few months ago but it could have changed with newer sdk revisions) or expected as they advertised these at E3 2011, and as disclosed here, they left huge room for the OS/system functions.

Sweeeeeeeet.

BD1

Banned
I am not actively rooting against Sony and Microsoft. I own or have owned consoles from all of the platform holders over the years. But at the end of the day, I just don't want multiple systems hooked up at all times anymore. I want one console in my office to play games and I'll choose Nintendo 10 out of every 10 times. I am reasonably optimistic I'll be able to play the third party games that interest me on Wii U. If I can't, whatever, because the industry is collapsing around us anyway.

Meh, that's expected isn't it?

One would hope that the power differential would be noticable... it would have to be for them to justify launching 12-18 months later, and possibly at a higher price. It'd be better for Nintendo and Wii-U adopters if it wasn't too big a difference, and I don't think it will be "too big" a difference - but we'll see. There'll certainly be a difference though. There are a lot of unknowns about the next MS/Sony systems too -- control wise, they could be as revolutionary if not moreso than Wii-U. Jumping first must have been something Nintendo would have weighed very carefully... and ultimately, they probably feel that going first probably benefitted Microsoft quite a bit this generation. If there's anything we don't know about Wii-U already, it'll be because they want the other two closer to finalising their specs / plans before they reveal it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom