• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason anybody should be worried about the WiiU's power is for a potential lack of third party support down the line. Sure I could buy another console but that costs more and that would mean the my WiiU would be collecting dust. We'll see though. There's no reason to debate this any longer with E3 only being a week away.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
lherre comments about Wii U - PS4/720 gap, has made my hype went down the toilet u___u
Don't count your bodies before they are ready. While a substantial gap in performance (FLOPS or IPS, is that what you are referring to, EatChildren and lherre?) between Wii U and Durango/Orbis may be present, nothing's stopping Nintendo from releasing some kind of upgrade to the system once Microsoft's and Sony's respective consoles have launched. It's theoretically possible, as I speculated about in thread five (or was it four?), to add RAM via a NFC solution. It would be really slow and cost a buttload of money (to get it to any levels that make a difference anyway), but the opportunities are there. And Nintendo can probably come up with something than already existing solutions. Well, it of course all depends on architecture but I don't see it as something unfeasible.

Speaking about performance, does Nintendo supply its own benchmarks or is LINPACK/LAPACK (for example) used?

Meh, that's expected isn't it?

One would hope that the power differential would be noticable... it would have to be for them to justify launching 12-18 months later, and possibly at a higher price. It'd be better for Nintendo and Wii-U adopters if it wasn't too big a difference, and I don't think it will be "too big" a difference - but we'll see. There'll certainly be a difference though. There are a lot of unknowns about the next MS/Sony systems too -- control wise, they could be as revolutionary if not moreso than Wii-U. Jumping first must have been something Nintendo would have weighed very carefully... and ultimately, they probably feel that going first probably benefitted Microsoft quite a bit this generation. If there's anything we don't know about Wii-U already, it'll be because they want the other two closer to finalising their specs / plans before they reveal it.

Yeah. It won't be "too big". An analogy I and the late BurntPork have used is that PS4/Xbox 3 would be like a high-end gaming PC and Wii U a mid-range gaming PC. It won't have the same level of effects, but it would still be able to play the same games.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Why is the other piece of bacon laughing at the one with the heart? Does it represent a general GAFfer laughing at BPs ban? >_>
Why yes, you are correct. Your interpretation of the abstract is without equal bg!

Was the birdie bringing positive news about the OS, something that you would be excited about?
he didn't talk that much about it. Other things that were said were positive though. You guys should really be in the irc more often, lol.

Yeah. It won't be "too big". An analogy I and the late BurntPork have used is that PS4/Xbox 3 would be like a high-end gaming PC and Wii U a mid-range gaming PC. It won't have the same level of effects, but it would still be able to play the same games.

And that's all the matters. You think the millions of ps2 owners gave a shit that RE4 looked inferior to the GC version? Hell. They probably didn't even know the game was out on the cube in the first place.

Edit: As a matter of fact, every major third party game that I play on my consoles looks inferior to their PC counterparts.

Nibel

I don't understand how people can get de-hyped just because a few people mentioned the elephant in the room: no, Wii U probably - or surely - won't be as or more powerful than 720/PS4, but this doesn't mean that the console itself isn't worth getting hyped for just because of its specs.

And yeah, other people's hype level is important to me :(

Sadist

syQ0A.gif

I am too. Nothing can dampen my enthusiasm, really.. we're going to get to see some new Nintendo games, and that alone is going to make for a good day. :)
Yup! Plus, June is going to be an awesome month. E3, Pearl Jam and Project Zero II releasing here in Europe. Cool cool cool.

Am I the only one that unfortunately thinks that Nintendo won't show the OS at all, basically won't show anything but games. They'll leave people speculating on how everything actually functions until their later conference before release. I mean I hope we see it but I don't know. I see E3 going down like this:

- "we have a lot to talk about today blahblahblah industry blahblahblah"
- "3DS is doing fantastic but not as good as it could be doing in other places"
- "here is what we have coming for 3DS" *cue trailers, sizzle reels, whatever*
- "now the wiiU blahblah *insert joke about power/leaks* blah controller blah"
- "online will have these features and those features, netflix hooplah blahblah"
- "trailers for games/sizzle reel"
- *on stage demo of pikmin using the controller*
- "we will have support from *insert 3rd party companies"
- *cue bigger game support, any surprise if there is one*
- *shows a lot of super cheesy commercials*
- *shows one last surprise trailer, either retro/monolith"
- "go home"

Basically my point is I don't think they'll be like "we did a brand new OS, we love it!" and spend 10 minutes showing you around, friends lists, etc...

HylianTom

Banned
Am I the only one that unfortunately thinks that Nintendo won't show the OS at all, basically won't show anything but games. They'll leave people speculating on how everything actually functions until their later conference before release. I mean I hope we see it but I don't know. I see E3 going down like this:

- "online will have these features and those features, netflix hooplah blahblah"
- "go home"

Basically my point is I don't think they'll be like "we did a brand new OS, we love it!" and spend 10 minutes showing you around, friends lists, etc...
I konda hope we get to see that sometime during the week.

But then my inner skeptic asks, "Oh yeah, Tom? Well then when would you propose that happen? Hmm?"

Not sure.. :/

Am I the only one that unfortunately thinks that Nintendo won't show the OS at all, basically won't show anything but games. They'll leave people speculating on how everything actually functions until their later conference before release. I mean I hope we see it but I don't know.
I think they will just stick to games and services - mostly because that's what will keep people hype (at E3) instead of a slick OS. Unless they do a Vita-like demonstration (which I don't see them doing - they don't really do hardware demonstrations besides the usual console display).

- "go home"

but Miyamoto will indeed take 15 minutes to show off Pikmin 3.5

lherre

Accurate

I'll put wiiu as a low specs Pc compared to the others with the actual data

Linkhero1

I can live with this. I also see no reason third parties could possibly use to not port 720/PS4 games to Wii U.

Ouch. That's pretty noticeable.

Oddduck

I don't understand how people can get de-hyped just because a few people mentioned the elephant in the room: no, Wii U probably - or surely - won't be as or more powerful than 720/PS4, but this doesn't mean that the console itself isn't worth getting hyped for just because of its specs.

And yeah, other people's hype level is important to me :(

Don't worry.

It all comes down to exclusives and Nintendo games anyways. The hype level will go back up at E3.

I know my hype for Wii U is through the roof. I'm excited like crazy for their conference and the console.

I think what's happening is a lot of people want Wii U to be their main or only system. And they don't want to buy a PS4/Durango for third party games, but they feel like they might have no choice.

Why yes, you are correct. Your interpretation of the abstract is without equal bg!

*bows*

Thank you. Thank you.

And that's all the matters. You think the millions of ps2 owners gave a shit that RE4 looked inferior to the GC version? Hell. They probably didn't even know the game was out on the cube in the first place.

Edit: As a matter of fact, every major third party game that I play on my consoles looks inferior to their PC counterparts.

Haha. And if you told the ones that didn't know that it was on GC first, they would probably argue the PS2 version looked better without even seeing how it looked on GC. But RE4 does make for a good example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qz0LbKpZtI

Hiltz

- "go home"

We do know that Nintendo will have a separate discussion with hardware producer Katsuya Eguchi soon after the main conference.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
he didn't talk that much about it. Other things that were said were positive though. You guys should really be in the irc more often, lol.

I have no idea what "irc" even means.

wsippel

Banned
Didn't Nintendo patent some weird graphics technology with depth mapped textures a few years ago? If I remember correctly, it was basically displacement mapping, but didn't actually affect the geometry in any way. Instead, the individual pixels of a texture were drawn above or below the surface the texture was mapped to.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

And if that's the case we'll have the exact same situation as the current-generation. Nintendo will again be left in the cold by third parties.

That's what I've been expecting, though. I don't think Nintendo ever gets in the good graces of third parties again unless they team up with a major partner in their next console (Google, Apple, etc).

I'm pretty sure they won't show very much of the OS at the conference. That's something that's usually showed off by a rep on the show floor. Or in a separate smaller meeting.

Oddduck

If I remember correctly, they didn't show the "channels" OS feature (news channel, weather channel, mii channel, photo channel) for the Wii until a few months after E3 2006.

They showed it at a separate conference.

Plinko

So are you expecting 600w, big and loud for PS4 and X720?

Every time I hear people talk about the rumored specs for the new MS console (which I believe to be true) I'm still stunned they're going to release a console like that. I can't possibly see how they could put something like that out for under $400.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
spill ur beans before you bacon is toasted!

Lol I really have no info besides what was said in the chat room and even that was vague information. It was delicious information though. Sogood.gif. I just haven't said anything because we were kind of told in chat just to keep it to ourselves.

I have no idea what "irc" even means.
Nintendo Gaf irc is the chat room we have for when the conference is in session. It's been active for the past couple of days but I can't provide you with a link since I'm on my phone atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom