• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
could ideaman reconfirm the 2 controllers info? According to a ubiquote, it doesn't. Though to me it's not clear if the quote is about the console or a specific game.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/05/ubisoft-wii-u-supports-one-gamepad/

Yeah i've read that.

All is explained here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475981

It's pretty sure that one day, we'll have games with 2 DRC, the latest dev kits got a second port, it must be for something, at the very worst for future-proofing the kits for a later implementation.

BUT, as it wasn't available to third-parties during May, they are waiting for its activiation + they obviously couldn't take advantage of it for the games they are developing since more than a year now, so it seems we won't see launch window foreign studios titles using 2 gamepad (or very light content).

codhand

I love that Iwata's last tweet is telling us to play Mario Soccer on Superbowl Sunday

Satoru Iwata ‏@Iwata_Asks

In honor of the big football game, why not play a football game made by Nintendo? I recommend Mario Super Strikers.

Pikmin 3 has been announced for years. It's been announced for Wii. It's been announced for Wii U. They've deflected questions about it. They say it's coming, yet never a screenshot. In order to keep sane, I have thus far been able to convince myself that it's vapor ware.

Guys... I think it's coming...

Kokonoe

Banned
My expectations aren't that high for the next Smash Bros. game. I'd have to see the engine itself in play to get a better idea of it as Brawl proved for me that it isn't about the content, but how the game is played that matters the most.

Tim-E

Pikmin 3 has been announced for years. It's been announced for Wii. It's been announced for Wii U. They've deflected questions about it. They say it's coming, yet never a screenshot. In order to keep sane, I have thus far been able to convince myself that it's vapor ware.

Guys... I think it's coming...

In less than four hours, you will have seen Pikmin 3 with your own eyes.

Plan donate blood to get the day off at work...Success!! Now come on Nintendo!

Are you sacrificing yourself to Yamauchi? I hear that blood is the only thing he consumes.

Portugeezer

Guys, Project Sora just put Kid Icarus out two months ago. I'd be surprised if they weren't still in just the planning stages of Smash Bros. This game is years off, so there's no use to expect a trailer for a game that has barely even started being made.

2014, not much later.

VegaNine

Before the dawn of the final hour, I'd like to record my one big prediction (if only for later humiliation):

I think Retro Studios and Silicon Knights are collaborating on Eternal Darkness.

Or, at the least, there seems to be evidence.

Silicon, reportedly, have been working on one of their own IPs. It can't be Legacy of Kain (Square has Crystal D. and others for that), and I think it's safe to say—it ain't another Too Human. Next, there's no accounting for Silicon's freak ability to have stayed afloat these past few years without a source of funding. They're obviously getting their money from someone who has faith in them, and the only funder whose faith would be valid is Nintendo, as they've produced two quality titles for them. This is all without saying that Nintendo is the owner of Silicon's only sterling property, and that they've renewed its trademark.

But while Nintendo knows that Silicon is the best choice for Eternal Darkness, they should also know that they can't be trusted with it alone.

In comes Retro Studios.

Nintendo has already gauged Retro's ability as collaborative developer—not only with Mario Kart 7 (as the lesser agency) but also with DKC Returns (as the lead agency, with NOJ obervers). And using Retro as Silicon's babysitter accomplishes thus:

1. It ensures that Silicon turns out a quality title.
2. It allows Retro to work with a studio experienced in HD.
3. It allows two—presently—smallish developers to easily produce a large, next-gen title.

Furthermore, a second prediction! I think that Retro's primary function this gen will not be as a developer their own games, but as a collaborator with other teams. This accounts for why they've been hiring people experienced across many different genres. It also accounts for why Miyamoto, when asked if Retro might develop a Zelda title, responded that they might make a "good collaborator." If this theory proves true, I think we'd be lucky to get more than a single Retro-led game this generation. But maybe in that absence, we'd get a number of Retro-quality games.

Anyways, cheers to all for lasting the year! It's been a bitch. I'll share the GIF I made just one last time:

reggie-scream.gif

Ok, how about instead of retail ports such as Batman, we get them as Digital Downloads instead on eShop? That way it doesn't seem like the Wii U is just a step child, and the people who really want them can get them online at a lowered price(maybe $30 or so). Even the third parties would save money, and it would also help cement NiN right from the start. Good idea?

Sirius

Drinks, food, two laptops, and plenty of water.

My body is ready for the 2AM neural overload. Yes the Australian timings sting, and I've got work at 8:30am but bugger that. I'll make it there at 7am.

No sleep tonight.

Ok, how about instead of retail ports such as Batman, we get them as Digital Downloads instead on eShop? That way it doesn't seem like the Wii U is just a step child, and the people who really want them can get them online at a lowered price(maybe $30 or so). Even the third parties would save money, and it would also help cement NiN right from the start. Good idea?

I thought we were already getting that? At least Nintendo is releasing all first-party games simultaneous retail and download, hopefully it's required of all developers, like Sony is doing with Vita.

Tim-E

"The curse is back like you've never seen it before"

Nintendo generally doesn't put cheesy lines like that in their trailers, and they especially wouldn't put a poorly written line like that anywhere in something.

Portugeezer

I don't know. Don't kill the messenger. As I said a friend of mine, who is a developer in Barcelona has received this. He hasn't said the source to me and i couldn't ask anything else.

So basically you made this video and uploaded it to Youtube, then linked it here?

aeroslash

So basically you made this video and uploaded it to Youtube, then linked it here?

What? Yeah, i would really like to be able to do something like that...LOL

Believe it or not, the story is real. A developer in Barcelona has passed this to me. I don't know if it is real or not.

You know you probably shouldn't post bs on E3...

but hey if it turns out to be real..
which I of course doubt.

I'm not posting this to be banned. I just wanted to share it with you and to know if you think it is possible or not.

Effect

Super Mario Galaxy 3

If we do get a 3D Mario this is the likely case. The the first two look amazing the Wii. A Wii U version would look glorious. The engine and design of the game is already there. It's just about creating the worlds (if they aren't already some that came out of SMG2 and making sure the assets are HD. Aren't Nintendo's assets already HD though as well?

IT'S TIME.

iwataci.png

Did this use to be a GIJoe picture? Who ended up replacing SnakeEyes if so?

Tim-E

E3 is over for me already with that quote :^)

As long as they follow the Vita model and make the digital games a few bucks cheaper than the physical ones, I'm ALL over it. Sure, it's nice to be able to trade games in, but I spent the last few years primarily as a PC gamer, so that aspect of digital doesn't bother me. Having the ability to buy something as soon as I want it and the ability to keep everything on the harddrive is enough incentive for me.

z0m3le

Banned
What? Yeah, i would really like to be able to do something like that...LOL

Believe it or not, the story is real. A developer in Barcelona has passed this to me. I don't know if it is real or not.

I'm not posting this to be banned. I just wanted to share it with you and to know if you think it is possible or not.

Well thanks for posting it, hopefully Majora's Mask is announced in the next few hours, it is a great video either way. Seems like a good way to get a Zelda title ready for extended launch window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom