• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

I can't recommend more strongly that people should pick up the Feetwork talent (+100% rolling distance) as soon as you can if your play style at all involves dodge-rolling. It's one of the first talents you can get in the Swordsmanship tree so you can grab it as early as level 8.

I've even found I don't need that talent that lessens the backstab damage you take, since with so much extra rolling distance, enemies simply never get behind me long enough to attack.

Van Buren said:

Gonna save it for when I unlock it :D

If I even do, haha, since it's near the end of the tree. Still not even sure which tree I really wanna go down. I definitely do want to hit the end of at least one of the trees.

Gotta be careful about leveling up when there is no respec - until someone makes a weaksauce mod for it - and you get only 35 total talent points, with the level cap being just that. So with 15 talents in the three main trees and 6 in Witcher Training, and with each of those having two different levels (which are sometimes two different skills entirely), it results in a choice of 102 total talents you can potentially put points in. That's huge relative to the 35 points you get to allocate.

So people should be quite mindful about where they put their talent points, more than in most other modern RPGs.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
I can't recommend more strongly that people should pick up the Feetwork talent (+100% rolling distance) as soon as you can if your play style at all involves dodge-rolling. It's one of the first talents you can get in the Swordsmanship tree so you can grab it as early as level 8.

Agreed. In addition to everything you've mentioned, you move pretty fast with it and can roll across the map Zelda-style.

I'm trying to focus most of my points on one tree with just a few upgrades in the other ones just so that I can have a much different build with my next playthrough.

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
Agreed. In addition to everything you've mentioned, you move pretty fast with it and can roll across the map Zelda-style.

Yeah it's nice for also just getting around more quickly Ninja Gaiden-style (or Zelda-style :p), though even then I usually like just running or walking around normally to admire the scenery.

Anyone who's accustomed to games like Ninja Gaiden Black, Bayonetta and Demon's Souls should be able to translate pretty effectively to Witcher 2's combat. Rolling in Witcher 2 doesn't have the invincibility frames, nor does the combat have the overall precision of those games, but the basic concept of using dodge-roll both for offense and defense applies exactly.

A question about chapter 1

In Loredo's courtyard I was approached by a merchant
who asked me to retrieve an object from Loredo's warehouse, supposedly to be used against the kayden
. I did as he asked, but maybe I missed a passage 'cause I'm about to begin the battle and I never had the opportunity to use that thing. What am I doing wrong?

Solo

4 days now and I'm STILL on Chapter 1. DAT GAME. Seriously, you want to rush nothing in this game. Wandering the streets or forests of Flotsam alone is just as fun as the main quest. There is so much detail in the world, and it all feels hand crafted. Glorious!

Zeliard

Solo said:
4 days now and I'm STILL on Chapter 1. DAT GAME. Seriously, you want to rush nothing in this game. Wandering the streets or forests of Flotsam alone is just as fun as the main quest. There is so much detail in the world, and it all feels hand crafted. Glorious!

Same. I am taking my sweet ass time with it. I almost always do with RPGs anyway.

And I don't tend to be much of a completionist in games, except when it comes to my quest journal in RPGs. I have to finish every quest before moving on. And the side quests in this game can become quite elaborate, like In the Claws of Madness. Dandelion's journal entry for that side quest is longer than for most main quests I've done.

Solo

Claws of Madness was a badass fucking quest.
I let the wraith destroy those two bastards

I can't find a 4th Nekker hole to save my life right now.

Solo said:
They are all fairly close to Floatsam, don't think you have to wonder too far away from it to find them.

Edit: Also
witchers kill monsters. Common man.

Solo said:

I bet it's the one near waterfall, it's a bit further than the other 3

Zeliard

Solo said:

I had intended to do just that but fucked up with one of the choices.

So what happened for me was
I ultimately made a deal with the two shitbags to offer the wraith a Nekker hearts and pig eyes as a trick. I did that figuring he'd end up seeing right through it (he's a goddamn ghost) and it would lead to combat, and that's exactly what happened. So I was forced to fuck him up.

However afterwards when I went back to the two guys, instead of just letting them go I had Geralt take them to the prison in Flotsam for their deeply immoral actions and just generally being scumbags. They're now in the hands of the prison's warden, who basically looks like a caricature of an evil witch.

Minsc

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
That's odd... I registered and then i re-load the launcher and it always says connection error so the register me option AND downloadable content option is greyed out. I got to see the window though and it had subtitles for download but no Troll DLC apparently.

Eh, will try later

It's usually grayed out for me too, but after leaving the launcher open for 15-25 seconds, half the time it enables itself. Maybe it just keeps trying to connect, or maybe it's some bug, I don't know.

Solo said:

I let those
pricks die too. What they did was fucked up
I hope there is a DLC or expansion in the same vain
That place looked amazing, the fire too. Mmmm

Van Buren posted up a map of where the Nekker nests are, there are two that are on either side of a tree. It's the nest closest to town iirc, it was confusing because after you take out one no more Nekkers pop out.

dyergram

Zeliard said:
I had intended to do just that but fucked up with one of the choices.

So what happened for me was
I ultimately made a deal with the two shitbags to offer the wraith a Nekker hearts and pig eyes as a trick. I did that figuring he'd end up seeing right through it (he's a goddamn ghost) and it would lead to combat, and that's exactly what happened. So I was forced to fuck him up.

However afterwards when I went back to the two guys, instead of just letting them go I had Geralt take them to the prison in Flotsam for their deeply immoral actions and just generally being scumbags. They're now in the hands of the prison's warden, who basically looks like a caricature of an evil witch.
I did the samei assumed that it was the woman they were talking about that survived...,

toasty_T said:
I let those
pricks die too. What they did was fucked up
I hope there is a DLC or expansion in the same vain
That place looked amazing, the fire too. Mmmm

Zeliard said:

As the ghost said "It would be more cruel to let them live". I am under the impression that the old woman was the crazy one that escaped from the asylumn

Zeliard said:
Both the human and non-human variety ;)
Being a terrible person doesn't make some one a monster. It just makes them a shitty human being.

Salaadin

Im still on Act 1 also. I just completed
Roses of Rememberance
and have the feeling that Im more than halfway done with this Act. Im probably done for the night since I need to be up early tomorrow.
Overall, Id say I spent 12 hours in Act 1 so far. I dont see this game taking me any less than 30 hours.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Solo said:
I'm going away for a bachelor party then next 2 days. TW2 withdrawal will most certainly set in :(

Well, you best handle that shit like Geralt and earn all of the stripper's cards

Tokubetsu

Salaadin said:
Im still on Act 1 also. I just completed
Roses of Rememberance
and have the feeling that Im more than halfway done with this Act. Im probably done for the night since I need to be up early tomorrow.
Overall, Id say I spent 12 hours in Act 1 so far. I dont see this game taking me any less than 30 hours.

To all the people who are taking their sweet time with Act I, trust me, Act II is even longer. I'd say at least twice the size.

Zeliard

dyergram said:
I did the samei assumed that it was the woman they were talking about that survived...,

Lostconfused said:
As the ghost said "It would be more cruel to let them live". I am under the impression that the old woman was the crazy one that escaped from the asylumn

Nah, check your journals. It's Marietta Loredo (I was wrong, it isn't the prison warden either, though she does essentially function as one given she can give whatever orders she wants).

Lostconfused said:
Being a terrible person doesn't make some one a monster. It just makes them a shitty human being.

How do you draw the distinction there? Someone is a monster because of their actions. That's one of the main themes of The Witcher. Geralt is meant to kill monsters but he's also meant to remain neutral and properly look at both sides. A witcher is basically an arbiter. Sometimes the humans will be more monstrous than the "monsters" and Geralt has to act accordingly. The whole Troll Trouble quest is built around this concept.

Zeliard said:
How do you draw the distinction there? Someone is a monster because of their actions. That's one of the main themes of The Witcher. Geralt is meant to kill monsters but he's also meant to remain neutral and properly look at both sides. A witcher is basically an arbiter. Sometimes the humans will be more monstrous than the "monsters" and Geralt has to act accordingly. The whole Troll Trouble quest is built around this concept.
Then each situation needs to be judged on its own merits

In their case.
It was a ghost, it was dead. It was an nonliving thing that should not exist. The human authorities can do whatever they want with the criminals, its not a witchers place to punish them for whatever crimes they committed.

Zeliard

Lostconfused said:
Then each situation needs to be judged on its own merits

In their case.
It was a ghost, it was dead. It was an nonliving thing that should not exist. The human authorities can do whatever they want with the criminals, its not a witchers place to punish them for whatever crimes they committed.

Well in that case you're looking at the different sides and simply picking one. That's exactly what you're supposed to do. :p As a witcher you get to make those types of determinations. You are judge, jury and executioner.

Personally, as far as this sort of decision-making, I don't ever look at it as monster vs. 'person'. I look at what the individuals say and do. Do I care if a couple people are human if their acts are heinous? It's irrelevant. Do I care if someone looks like a big ugly troll if he's not particularly going around bothering anyone? Nope.

Zeliard said:
Personally, as far as this sort of decision-making, I don't ever look at it as monster vs. 'person'. I look at what the individuals say and do. Do I care if a couple people are human if their acts are heinous? It's irrelevant. Do I care if someone looks like a big ugly troll if he's not particularly going around bothering anyone? Nope.
You keep going back to the troll, because it is the easiest example of a monster that isn't monstrous in the game. In the events of the Claws of Madness quest there is clearly a monster that needs to be killed. Even if the humans are robbers, murderous, rapists or some other kind of scum it doesn't make them a monster that a witcher has to kill.

Edit: I can't really come up with a clear example of a human being that has to be killed. In the games or the books. Although I could be forgetful or intentionally not remembering it.

Exuro

Coldsnap said:
Someone said the steam version got an update, how do you update a game on steam?
It should automatically do it. Unfortunately the News section of Steam doesn't show what the updates do/change for the game.

Zeliard

Lostconfused said:
You keep going back to the troll, because it is the easiest example of a monster that isn't monstrous in the game. In the events of the Claws of Madness quest there is clearly a monster that needs to be killed. and even if the humans are robbers, murderous, rapists or some other kind of scum it doesn't make them a monster that a witcher has to kill.

See, and why does he "have" to be killed? He was haunting the place because
he was tortured and killed by those same two guys you seem to be defending, and all he wanted were their deaths in return.

You seem fixated on this notion that Geralt must kill every monster he encounters due simply to their nature rather than their actions.

epmode

Zeliard said:
You seem fixated on this notion that Geralt must kill every monster he encounters due simply to their nature rather than their actions.
A story in the first Witcher book addresses exactly this, by the way.

Zeliard said:
he was tortured and killed by those same two guys you seem to be defending, and all he wanted were their deaths in return.
Because it was dangerous and it attracted other monsters to the area. It should be removed, the only thing that's lacking is an impetus of some one hiring a witcher to do that job. Either that or he would have looked around the area to find some one who would pay for getting that job done. But it's a video game so you are just expected to do it because its another quest for you to do.

Zeliard said:
Yes I do think that. In the sense that if Geralt is forced into an encounter with that monster because its a job or something else. If it was an out of the way place that a monster inhabited but it was a deserted area then he would just go around and ignore it.

epmode said:
Which story is that?

Zeliard said:

Not to mention he tried to kill you with wraiths and you had nothing to do with it....

REVENGE!

I can't seem to get the download of the DLC to work... using the launchers download system it says it doesn't work and I just can't download it, have been trying for days!!

WEGGLES said:
So, uh... EVERY time I save it makes a new save file? No option to delete the save files in game either.

Wat.

I know right, I've got like 300 saves so far.

I actually kind of like the cartoon cutscenes. At least they didnt go with a Esurance style or some crap like Mirrors Edge did.

WEGGLES said:
So, uh... EVERY time I save it makes a new save file? No option to delete the save files in game either.

Wat.

You can just delete them in Documents/Witcher 2/gamesaves.

I just deleted like 90 files lol

epmode

Lostconfused said:
Which story is that?
Being as vague as possible, it's the one that starts with Geralt investigating that haunted house.

ColonialRaptor said:
I can't seem to get the download of the DLC to work... using the launchers download system it says it doesn't work and I just can't download it, have been trying for days!!
What's the error message? I know that I wasn't able to download/install it without running launcher.exe as an administrator.

endrega fetus is supposed to endrega embryo? i have a ton of the embryo but no fetus only item to finish this damn quest. Is this a bug or what?

WEGGLES

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I know right, I've got like 300 saves so far.

Yeah, same.

Where are the gamesaves kept? I checked the witcher 2 folder and nothing there. I can't imagine the save files being all too tiny.

Edit: found them. They don't have the best naming scheme. Hard to tell which one is which. :s

Zeliard

Lostconfused said:
Because it was dangerous and it attracted other monsters to the area. It should be removed, the only thing that's lacking is an impetus of some one hiring a witcher to do that job. Either that or he would have would have looked around the area to find some one who would pay for getting that job done. But it's a video game so you are just expected to do it because its another quest for you to do.

Yes I do think that. In the sense that if Geralt is forced into an encounter with that monster because its a job or something else. If it was an out of the way place that a monster inhabited but it was a deserted area then he would just go around and ignore it.

Well, what ends up happening when you
feed the wraith the two humans?
I didn't go that route but I think he just
leaves the hospital after he's had his revenge. Literally the only thing the wraith wanted was the two guys who killed him dead. So if you get rid of them then he's not much of a monster anymore except in appearance.

epmode said:

Curious to hear more about this.

epmode said:
Being as vague as possible, it's the one that starts with Geralt investigating that haunted house.
Right that's what I thought you meant. I am not sure it applies unless
you are talking about the vampire. I don't remember too much about her.

Edit:
Zeliard said:
Curious to hear more about this.
Geralt says
that the thing inhabiting the house doesn't even count as a monster because his medalion doesn't react to it and silver has no effect on it. Its just a cursed human being.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
WEGGLES said:
Yeah, same.

Where are the gamesaves kept? I checked the witcher 2 folder and nothing there. I can't imagine the save files being all too tiny.

Edit: found them. They don't have the best naming scheme. Hard to tell which one is which. :s

sort by date modified

Salaadin

Technosteve said:
endrega fetus is supposed to endrega embryo? i have a ton of the embryo but no fetus only item to finish this damn quest. Is this a bug or what?
That seems to be the case. Embryo is the fetus.

Macattk15

ColonialRaptor said:
Not to mention he tried to kill you with wraiths and you had nothing to do with it....

REVENGE!

Mine just constantly says Downloading while flashing. Don't think it will ever finish and I have no way of knowing if it does as there is no progress bar!

WEGGLES said:
Yeah, same.

The higher the number, the more recent it was made, I'd suppose. I pretty much dragged from 90-0 to cull the whole thing, lol

mhznet

Sober said:
Doesn't do anything until you unlock one of the penultimate skills in one of the trees, letting you use finishers.

Thank you, 'Next sign' it is then!

Now I need to think what to replace for the 'Next Item'...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom