• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did the troll DLC quest, loot was lame until i went to the bandit's cabin nice swords in there. So does anyone know where i can look at which talents i can mutate?

Man

Darklord said:
Delete the drivers, reinstall the beta drivers and choose to not install the 3D drivers in the installer. It's under advanced or custom you can just untick it.
Did the trick. From 5-10fps with everything disabled and low to 30-60fps on Ultra after installing Nvidia 275.25 Beta drivers (previously 270.61). This looks gorgeous.

Amir0x

Banned
Technosteve said:
Just did the troll DLC quest, loot was lame until i went to the bandit's cabin nice swords in there. So does anyone know where i can look at which talents i can mutate?

Where can I download the DLC quest? Don't see it on Steam..

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Man said:
Did the trick. From 5-10fps with everything disabled and low to 30-60fps on Ultra after installing Nvidia 275.25 Beta drivers (previously 270.61). This looks gorgeous.

Hmm these 275.25 beta drivers intrigue me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
SnakeswithLasers said:
I am liking what I've played so far.
My only complaint is that the controls (I'm on a gamepad) feel loose--but the combat is pretty unforgiving.
The game has a weird inverted difficulty curve. It gets infinitely easier as you get farther in.

Amir0x said:

All DLC is done from the launcher. (I don't have the Steam version, so I don't know how the launcher works in that case)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Amir0x said:

Use the "downloadable content" selection on the launcher.

thetrin said:
The game has a weird inverted difficulty curve. It gets infinitely easier as you get farther in.
Fantastic.

I think I've only just finished with the tutorial (calling it that does a disservice to all the tutorials I've dissed over the years though!) and have arrived in
Flotsam

I can't wait to start questing and leveling. Going to be a good weekend and LA Noire probably won't get much play at all.

The magic system has me boggled still (meaning the actual appropriate uses for the spells), but I think I'll figure it out.

Solo

Halp! I'm doing "In the Claws of Madness" and I
followed the ghost, but a wall of fire has come up, and there is no place to go but through it
. How do I do that?

woober

SnakeswithLasers said:
Fantastic.

I think I've only just finished with the tutorial (calling it that does a disservice to all the tutorials I've dissed over the years though!) and have arrived in
Flotsam

I can't wait to start questing and leveling. Going to be a good weekend and LA Noire probably won't get much play at all.

The magic system has me boggled still (meaning the actual appropriate uses for the spells), but I think I'll figure it out.

Have fun questing. It's unbelievably fun to do in this game.

Amir0x

Banned
Pankaks said:
Use the "downloadable content" selection on the launcher.

That's odd... I registered and then i re-load the launcher and it always says connection error so the register me option AND downloadable content option is greyed out. I got to see the window though and it had subtitles for download but no Troll DLC apparently.

Eh, will try later

Dipper145

do people find combat easier with a game pad or keyboard?

I'm finding it pretty damn difficult against several enemies with a keyboard and mouse, and am wondering if using a game pad is worth a try.

I've had to drop the difficulty to easy...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Solo said:
Halp! I'm doing "In the Claws of Madness" and I
followed the ghost, but a wall of fire has come up, and there is no place to go but through it
. How do I do that?
Search the boxes in the area.

Amir0x

Banned
Dipper145 said:

I'm finding it pretty damn difficult against several enemies with a keyboard and mouse, and am wondering if using a game pad is worth a try.

I mean it's worth a shot. But the game gets a lot easier as you go on, so you could probably stick it out

thetrin

Dipper145 said:

Once you increase your Vigor bar and gain the ability to block from all sides/attack multiple targets, it gets a lot easier. It's no more easier on a gamepad without those skills.

Kyaw

Dipper145 said:

Just 'abuse' or utilise the signs a lot more than you would normally do in other RPGs.
Dont bother blocking unless there's less than 2-3 enemies.

Also roll. A LOT. Get the roll upgrade in character development as soon as you can.
Our days of complaining about rolling in Witcher 2 gameplay videos are over. We have to do it to survive.

Quen sign is very helpful. Use it.

Use bombs too, they help a lot. Especially the fire one.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Amir0x said:
That's odd... I registered and then i re-load the launcher and it always says connection error so the register me option AND downloadable content option is greyed out. I got to see the window though and it had subtitles for download but no Troll DLC apparently.

Eh, will try later

Yea their servers are getting hammered, it took me a couple tries to get it to work.

Lostconfused said:
The thing is. Its actually going to get harder than the prologue until you start getting close to the end of chapter 1.
Ah man. =P

My hope is for a patch that makes animations able to be pulled out of with a block--at least if triggered before a certain point of no return. But maybe that's just a hope based on playing the prologue and will be irrelevant once I'm better/further.
Kyaw said:
Just 'abuse' or utilise the signs a lot more than you would normally do in a RPG.
Dont bother blocking unless there's less than 2-3 enemies.
Expand on this fine point, please.

thetrin

Get the Quen II upgrade asap. It's seriously amazing.

Peff

Amir0x said:

Eh, will try later

Let it run for a bit, it's been happening to me today but it connects by itself shortly after.

Exuro

thetrin said:
The game also has a weird inverted quality curve. :eek:

But jeeze, I just went through the prologue again. I didn't know that
Ves could kill you in the interrogation room. Also there's quite a bit more dialogue if you speak all pissed off at Roche. It's awesome. I also killed Ayran and went to his mother instead of saving him and helping him escape. It's really refreshing experiencing new things.

Amir0x said:

Eh, will try later
Server issue, possibly because the game is selling much better than expected and they can't handle it. Or they just suck at this. :p

Amir0x said:

Eh, will try later
I have that problem now and then, I think their servers are probably still overloaded. Most of the time if I play for a bit then quit to the launcher I'll be logged in and can access the DLC menu again.

Van Buren

Dipper145 said:

Skills make all the difference. Take a look at the tree you want to specialize in and get the best talents asap before putting the 2nd talent point into other skills. Prepare in advance with potions and traps. Make liberal use of magic and bombs. Early on, I tried to thin the flock as much as possible before moving close to melee range. Forget about hoarding items for later use.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
When you start dealing with enemies in the forest, just remember that traps are your friend. You can craft/buy some quality ones, but even the shitty snares that are scattered all over the forest can help a lot when you're fighting a crowd. Basically: run like a bitch and keep dropping traps as they chase you, and before you know it their health will be wittled down and a few ignis and sword strokes can take them down no problem.

Anyways, I would highly recommend that people don't turn down the difficulty. There are some tough parts but it's mostly a matter of adjusting to the pace of the combat and learning to use all the signs/traps/bombs available. I love the challenge because it's forced me to use all the stuff I tend to ignore in RPGs and it feels like a much richer experience because of it.

Kyaw

SnakeswithLasers said:
Expand on this fine point, please.

I meant other RPGs where i can just not use the spells and just wave my sword around and still finish the game. But then the difficulty levels are different. Witcher 2's normal is like hard in every other sword waving game.

@ Snuggler said it better than me.. :p

mileS

Zeliard said:
I also love all the little details. You put someone's cooking fire out with Geralt and they'll start blowing at it to get it back.

Or the guard that puts out the torches around town in the mornings. If you light it back up after he'll turn around and say something like "hmm that doesn't make sense" and walk back to put it out again lol

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Or the soldiers slowly slowly rolling the stones in the trebuchets. And the other ones operating them and taking breaks once in a while

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Shit where do I find my pre-order redemption code? I totally pre-ordered the game too so it has to be somewhere!

No redemption codes. Just a CD key. It's in your order summary email if you bought it from GOG.

There's a place to input redemption codes in the launcher, but you can download/install the content without putting anything in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sir Garbageman said:
The bridge by the troll? Really? How and is there anything interesting over there?

I'd recommend checking it out after finishing the troll quest!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Stupid gargoyles... My sword has like 20% extra damage against them but three of them are still enough to own me occasionally, and they keep spawning more, wtf...

Exuro

Speaking of Gargoyles,
was anyone else not able to finish the contract quest? I found two of the three magic symbols dealios but I couldn't find the third. I noticed a glowy red chest in the second story of Philipas house but there werent any magical symbols in the room. Was that the third one or was the something completely different? If so what was it for?

Amir0x

Banned
Zefah said:
No redemption codes. Just a CD key. It's in your order summary email if you bought it from GOG.

There's a place to input redemption codes in the launcher, but you can download/install the content without putting anything in.

oh ok cool. it's wanting to work but the servers are just shitting themselves

epmode

I'm about to start troll stuff but I remember hearing about a crappy bug in chapter 1. Is there anything I need to know regarding quest order in that chapter? Not necessarily related to the troll stuff, just glitch-avoiding tips in general.

Exuro said:
Speaking of Gargoyles,
was anyone else not able to finish the contract quest? I found two of the three magic symbols dealios but I couldn't find the third. I noticed a glowy red chest in the second story of Philipas house but there werent any magical symbols in the room. Was that the third one or was the something completely different? If so what was it for?
Gonna spoiler this in case someone wants to find the rooms without any help.
There are 2 rooms with a chest near the main gate of the city, one by each side of it, and then a third one near the location for the council, north of it to be precise.

Max

I am not Max
what are gold chat selections? do they just move the conversation along to the next batch of options?

razorman

Ok the graphics in chapter 1 were amazing but when you get to the opening section of chapter 2
where you have to fight through the mist while holding off the undead soldiers
was just breathtaking. Anybody who hasn't reached this point yet is in for a real treat.

Zefah said:
I'd recommend checking it out after finishing the troll quest!

Not really a spoiler at all but
Do you mean the Southeast portion of the map? All I found over there was a bunch of bandits. The troll hasn't repaired the bridge itself.

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
When you start dealing with enemies in the forest, just remember that traps are your friend. You can craft/buy some quality ones, but even the shitty snares that are scattered all over the forest can help a lot when you're fighting a crowd. Basically: run like a bitch and keep dropping traps as they chase you, and before you know it their health will be wittled down and a few ignis and sword strokes can take them down no problem.

Anyways, I would highly recommend that people don't turn down the difficulty. There are some tough parts but it's mostly a matter of adjusting to the pace of the combat and learning to use all the signs/traps/bombs available. I love the challenge because it's forced me to use all the stuff I tend to ignore in RPGs and it feels like a much richer experience because of it.

Traps and bombs are absolutely your friend in this game. Bombs in particular are invaluable for whittling groups of enemies down with an AOE damage attack, or for their other effects such as stun/blind/poison. And when enemies are stunned Geralt can unleash one-hit kill finishers.

I'm playing on Hard and I also try to make sure I have a couple of potions going for most combat encounters. Pots tend to last for 5-10 minutes and you're usually able to anticipate combat, so I try to set myself up beforehand.

I can't wait till I snag this:

The group finisher move – available after you learn the Combat acumen skill.
It is a series of impressive blows, which allow you to kill up to three enemies at
once.

Probably looks quite cool.

Dipper145 said:

I like it better with k&m, what you find difficult against several enemies is really the game just being difficult early on, changing to gamepad isn't gonna make it suddenly easier.

people have been posting combat tips in this thread. you need to use everything in your arsenal to survive early on, roll, magic, bombs are a must early on, bombs are your crowd control tool. direct confrontation against multiple enemies is dangerous because multiple enemies tend to surround you while you're concentrating to attack 1 enemy and they deal 200% damage when they hit you in the back at least until you upgrade the skill to negate back damage.

focus on defensive talent early on if you find it too difficult. negate back damage and longer roll distance is very helpful

mhznet

What does the 'Adrenaline' (Dpad-Up or X on the KB) do? Is it usefull?

I'm playing with a PAD and am thinking about switching it for the 'Next Sign' command, which seems more usefull at the moment seeing as I tried this 'Adrenalin' thing and nothing happened.

Sober

mhznet said:
What does the 'Adrenaline' (Dpad-Up or X on the KB) do? Is it usefull?

I'm playing with a PAD and am thinking about switching it for the 'Next Sign' command, which seems more usefull at the moment seeing as I tried this 'Adrenalin' thing and nothing happened.
Doesn't do anything until you unlock one of the penultimate skills in one of the trees, letting you use finishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom