• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Alextended said:
If it uses vigor that's probably why I've never done it then, I most often have no vigor at all and if I do it's just one that is used up for the block. Even though I got the skills that make it supposedly regenerate faster both in and out of combat, sometimes I circle groups of enemies for ages and it gives none, while rarely I get a full refill in no time at all...

If you have Quen on it disables Vigor regen.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'll try to use my best spoiler-fu so it doesn't just become a black wall.

some negative aspects of the game mechanics :

- Game has relatively few bugs, but those I've encountered have been semi game-breaking in the sense that I've had to reset the game. ( the bomb-bug is one of these )

- Interface is pretty bad, no it's very bad actually. The vigor-meter is badly placed, the wolfeyes as an indication of your medallion cooldown is a bad touch, the menu system in general.

- This has been mentioned several times already by many others but : drinking potions becomes a chore because of the meditation system. The alchmeny menu is bad as well. I'm not 100% sure but I believe there's no diagram sorting at all in that menu everything is random oils/potions, letters. Trying to swap one rare ingredient to one you have billions of has to be done EVERY time you create the potion/bomb which makes the process even arduous.

- Pressing I brings up the inventory, pressing C while in the inventory should bring you to your character screen, of course it doesn't. You have to exit each screen, go back into the game wait a second or so and them go to the other screen. And having to press Enter/space to get to the wierd pseudo sub-menus and act as accept buttons is a whole other dilemma in itself. The characterscreens in general aren't uniform and are imo flawed and ill designed.

- The savesystem is awful, I only get one saveslot but the game has about 2gb worth of autosaves? And those aren't satisfactory at all. One particular scenario is the fight before Ch 2 boss the D
Draug where if you die you gotta play fucking seltkirt for 5 minutes and then fight half a draugin before the Draug boss kills you and you gotta restart >_< from 10 minutes ago, and obviously you can't manually save anytime during this.

- The game is very unbalanced. Normal has some wierd places where the game is unnaturally difficult. Easy is soo easy that it takes out all the fun of the game. You're awfully underpowered in the beginning of the game and unlike other games the difficulty in the game doesn't really become higher as the game progresses.

Some negative aspects of the story/narrative mechanics :

- Sometimes they really don't get across the gravity of your impending choice of dialogue option, in a bad sense that is. Often when this happened I was given two totally ambiguous options that both seemed to indicate that more dialogue was coming - but it didn't. It really pissed me off and took me out of the game because I went " No wait no... I didn't want THIS to happen " and sadly this was very prevalent at important choices and ruined a lot for me.

Fake example and results :

Soldier : " Geralt, the trolls are fortified and Gandalf is in their soup. We could try to fly in on them on owls or ask Arnold for the key to the secret tunnel.

Dialogue options :

1)" Hmm I'm not sure the owls could take my weight " ( choosing this results in a cutscene with geralt flying away, no choice no nothing )
2)" Arnold would probably want money for the key that greedy bastard. ( choosing this results in you KILLING Arnold for no reason.)
3)"Gandalf? I thought he was in Ferelien having a good time with the whores" ( Choosing this results in Geralt just walking away and gandalf dying in the soup.)

Terrible example....

What I'm trying to get across is that the dialogue options are sometimes extremely abstract and might result in a choice or act that you would never do if you actually knew what the option entailed. But here's a real example :

Chapter 2 : You and Triss in the room with roses. Now I don't remember the dialogue to a 100% and I'm pretty much paraphrasing, but this is what I took from it :
Triss out of the fucking blue : "
Geralt if you want me to not come with you just say so !
"

Option 1) "
I want you by my side
"
Option 2) "
You stay here, I'll go fix it.
"

Now I had no fucking clue what they were even talking about but choosing 1) will make Geralt go "
Triss I want you by my side screw the kingslayer, he's not my problem who even cares, lets go chase my dreams, the wild hunt and Yennefer herp! Roche I'm going with Triss, she's going to do some magic now!
" Which was what I chose so god knows what the other options did, probably Geralt whipping out an m16 and shooting everybody in Flotsam...

I don't think I have the energy to go into detail why chapter 3 made me want to hang myself, but it felt like the writers were off that day and had the manatees roll idea balls a la that South Park episode. Now let's be honest, fantasy rpgstories aren't always the most concrete storylines but I was "with it" up until the end of the end of Chapter 2 where Geralt helped
Vergen against Hanselt.

But then in chapter 3 :
Where are we? Ooooh I remember, we're here to have Henselt swear his oath infront of good witnessess ah let's do this! Why is Philippa Eilhart in jail again? Oh nice I get an ambiguous dialogue option about the sewers or a quicker way ( get arrested ). I don't know which one to pick because apparently Ioverth took the decision for me when I asked him about how the sewer smelled.

Ok so after 30 minutes of not knowing wtf to do and battling random
stone gargoyels in this town filled with friendly merchants and hostile nilfgaardians
I got
"arrested" by accident and saw some dude scoop out Eilharts eyes because she was a bad badysitter
. It's ok because I'll help her anyway, after dying 10 times when trying to use IGNI on you know what by pressing Q lol I'm stupid..... But oh no Eilhart
Quadruple crossed us for the tenth time and flew away, it's ok because this dagger is supposed to go into the heart of Saskia, remember all runes have to go into her ( lol just kidding just put it on her forehead when she stuuupidly flies into a christmas tree after Geralt climbs a tower

The beautiful story that takes places at the "theatre" or w/e
Sile, Triss, Eilhart, sorcesses, some lodge, Letho comes in as a prisoner, Saskia is controlled, some ambassador, Niiiiiiiiilfgaaard, whats Henselt doing. Who is the emperor? King Stennis? Oh that's right another choice made for me, I said don't lynch the fucker until he gets his trial and he became a King. Who is the other dude who looks just like Stennis but with a 5 o clock beard. Redovid o Redamend or something. What's going on in this Circle? Whoa Saskia is fuckin shit up, why? That rose really was powerful. Wait but they all signed the contract, how come letho is STILL bald? That doesn't make any sense really. Sile explodes because of someone changed one of her diamonds to a cubic zirconia
[Fast forward 50 minutes of more of this convoluted TRIPE!] Here comes the worst bossfight in the game, because it's just lame.
Nekker warrior > Dragon Saskia, there I said it.

And now we finally get to
Letho who for some reason saved Triss against everyone who tried to rape her. Wait what? I thought I told Triss we wouldn't follow him or something? Oh btw remember when Triss was a piece of lego we found on a corpse in a field next to some whores? Those were the times.....

Anyways me and Letho drank some vodka and CDprojekt gave me Letho who is by now a encyclopedic robot who will answer any questions that I MIGHT have in this crystal clear story. Suffice to say I didn't want to ask him anything because the answers would blow my mind. So I just asked him nicely to walk away, which he did.

The end

Now, perhaps by now you think I hate the game. Quite the opposite actually, I love it soo much which is why I'm soo pissed at some of the decisions they made. Obviously some of the things are easily patchable and others are not. In the end this is one of my flawed jewels, just like NGB this game will be in my heart even though they both have their glaring flaws.

Zeliard

Ninja Gaiden Black is a perfect diamond of a game, actually. INARGUABLE.

Corky said:
This has been mentioned several times already by many others but : drinking potions becomes a chore because of the meditation system.

lol

Come on, it's the simplest thing imaginable.

Corky said:
- The savesystem is awful, I only get one saveslot but the game has about 2gb worth of autosaves? And those aren't satisfactory at all.

You have a quicksave slot with F5 and can make any number of regular saves by going into the menu and clicking the part where it says "Save."

Did you just get pissed off at Chapter 3 and decide to take an overtly negative view of everything? Heh.

Corky said:
Pressing I brings up the inventory, pressing C while in the inventory should bring you to your character screen, of course it doesn't. You have to exit each screen, go back into the game wait a second or so and them go to the other screen.

This I completely agree with. It's an annoying oversight.

Is the retail version of this borked? I was going to get LA Noire first and wait to buy this, but Best Buy will give me a 10 dollar gift card if I buy it retail. I've got another $50 BB card coming in the mail in 2-3 weeks for switching to Direct TV. If I buy this now, It'll be like getting LA Noire for free, but I thought I read here there's a major defect in the retail version with drives not being able to play the game.

Sober

Zeliard said:
And as far as alchemy, the ingredients have to be manually placed in for max efficiency once and then you can make several of them by just continuously hitting enter. Not sure what the big headache is there. Are you one of the people using a gamepad? :>
The only thing annoying about downing potions is watching the toxicity animation (wipe forehead, stretch neck, etc.) that wastes the 4-5 seconds on it.

But the annoying thing is the alchemy system defaults specific ingredients everytime you finish crafting a potion, which is annoying. Because I have say, 40 nekker claws but I have 80 of an herb, but I want to reduce my carrying capacity, I have to manually put nekker claws (or such) back into the specific element slot everytime after I craft a potion/bomb/oil, instead of just leaving it there. Nevermind other alchemical products that I want to switch multiple ingredients for, it gets tedious.

Zeliard said:
You have a quicksave slot with F5 and can make any number of regular saves by going into the menu and clicking the part where it says "Save."
Yeah, but by the time I was done my save folder was about 3 gigs, because autosaves don't overwrite one another or there isn't a hard limit, they just keep piling up.

Also, the UI is weird, they could've merged the character sheet and the inventory, and just had all the monster info in the journal entry rather than another one as 'knowledge'.

Corky

Zeliard said:
Ninja Gaiden Black is a perfect diamond of a game, actually. INARGUABLE.

lol
Come on, it's the simplest thing imaginable.

Did you just get pissed off at Chapter 3 and decide to take an overtly negative view of everything? Heh.

This I completely agree with. It's an annoying oversight.

Huh that's very very odd, because I made sure that going into menu and manually pressing save resulted in my quick save being overwritten. Also you are right that I might be overreacting with the " it's a chore " comment but it sure as hell isn't as smooth as it should be.

And no chapter 3 hasn't really affected my views of the rest of the game which is why my stance still is that tw2 is one of the better games I've played in ages.

RedSwirl

I personally think the UI is amazing. Only real problem I've seen with the game so far is the inverted difficulty curve.

Everything else: the story, characters, and game mechanics might not be the greatest in RPG history, but they are compelling enough to keep me absorbed in the game. The 16-bit levels of difficulty - not just the combat but the game trusting completely in the player's intelligence, is taking me for a trip too. I still only just got done talking to the boss dude in Flotsam, but this game has opened up terrifically (then again so did Grandia III).

Now, what does TW2 have to compete with in 2011?
Pokemon Black/White
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Skyrim
Diablo III (right)
Tactics Ogre
Disgaea 4?

sflufan

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
Is the retail version of this borked? I was going to get LA Noire first and wait to buy this, but Best Buy will give me a 10 dollar gift card if I buy it retail. I've got another $50 BB card coming in the mail in 2-3 weeks for switching to Direct TV. If I buy this now, It'll be like getting LA Noire for free, but I thought I read here there's a major defect in the retail version with drives not being able to play the game.

For quite a bit of people (including me!), there are issues with their DVD drives transferring a particularly large (8 gig) file to their HDD.

CDP has rectified this by giving them a code to download the game from GOG when they provide their retail code to customer support. Of course, I was impatient and just went ahead and bought it from GOG :eek:P

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm only in chapter 2, but this is already my goty. I absolutely love this game, and it's pretty much everything I've wanted out of a Bioware. It's embarrassing to play DA2 after this.

Zeliard

Corky said:
Huh that's very very odd, because I made sure that going into menu and manually pressing save resulting in my quick save being overwritten. Also you are right that I might be overreacting with the " it's a chore " comment but it sure as hell isn't as smooth as it should be.

There are certainly a couple goofy things with the menu system. I mean the thing you highlighted about how you can't quickly switch from one menu to another is 100% true and an unnecessary annoyance.

Sober said:
The only thing annoying about downing potions is watching the toxicity animation (wipe forehead, stretch neck, etc.) that wastes the 4-5 seconds on it.

Yeah I wish you could skip those animations after you've seen them so many times. I often take potions two at a time so Geralt has done a lot of brow-wiping in my game.

Sober said:
But the annoying thing is the alchemy system defaults specific ingredients everytime you finish crafting a potion, which is annoying. Because I have say, 40 nekker claws but I have 80 of an herb, but I want to reduce my carrying capacity, I have to manually put nekker claws (or such) back into the specific element slot everytime after I craft a potion/bomb/oil, instead of just leaving it there. Nevermind other alchemical products that I want to switch multiple ingredients for, it gets tedious.

Yeah, the only real way I've found to combat that is to temporarily drop whatever item it keeps defaulting to, as well other items in that category, so that it defaults to the one you want.

It's not ideal at all and it's a strange oversight on CDPR's part, but it's a temporary method until they fix it or a modder does.

Sober said:
Also, the UI is weird, they could've merged the character sheet and the inventory, and just had all the monster info in the journal entry rather than another one as 'knowledge'.

I think some people may have missed those tabs (Knowledge, Abilities, etc) entirely if they're not careful about checking every menu out.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
thetrin said:
I'm only in chapter 2, but this is already my goty. I absolutely love this game, and it's pretty much everything I've wanted out of a Bioware. It's embarrassing to play DA2 after this.

Same here. It's been a great year so far, but unless I hate ch. 3, TW2 will probably edge out Bulletstorm and LBP2 as my pending GOTY. Uncharted 3 and Skyrim will be contenders but this is a damn good game. I'm only half way through (guessing) but I'm already thinking about all the things I'm gonna do on the next playthrough. The end of ch. 1 seems nuts when it comes to branching paths.

Exuro

Corky really hit the nail on the head. My chapter 3 was slightly different, but all of your complaints I also have issues with. I also love the game but the last few hours plus those complaints makes it from being an amazing, GOTY for sure title to just a great game.

One problem i keep having is when i press esc to do a real save or a load it sometimes takes 20-30 seconds for the screen to appear. Combat targeting system is also wonky at times. A few of these things can be fixed/patched and I hope they plan on doing expansions to further the current story. I don't feel that TW3 should start where TW2 finished.

Tokubetsu

Not really seeing the dialog options negative. I never had a problem with the choices I made or ambiguity/vagueness of the choices.

Sober

To be fair, at the end with Letho,
Geralt was trying to recover his memory so it makes sense that he would try to have Letho fill him in on what happened with him and Yennefer. Also, Letho was pretty scared of you chasing him for the whole game, so he figured he might as well confront you and get it over with.

The only thing about the boss fights however, they seemed to be a bit weak, especially considering the Kayran fight came before all of them.
Even the dragon fight, much less the Draugir of Vandergraff, were pretty unexciting fights to be said.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
Really curious to get to Chapter 3 now. It seems like it's gonna be the real point of contention for this game.

Damn Corky for planting the seeds of doubt in our minds, now I'm expecting it to be a letdown. Jerk!

sflufan said:
For quite a bit of people (including me!), there are issues with their DVD drives transferring a particularly large (8 gig) file to their HDD.

CDP has rectified this by giving them a code to download the game from GOG when they provide their retail code to customer support. Of course, I was impatient and just went ahead and bought it from GOG :eek:P

Okay, cool. I have a GoG account. Dumb question, assuming the retail version works for me, can I link it to my Steam account? Really, another reason I'm leaning towards retail is the physical guidebook. I found the digital guide book from Witcher 1 cumbersome to pull up and reference while playing.

Wes

venison crêpe
On the GOTY debate: It's GOTY for me thus far but purely because of Chapter 3 I can also see it being beaten.

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
Damn Corky for planting the seeds of doubt in our minds, now I'm expecting it to be a letdown. Jerk!

Haha well to be fair, it seems quite a few people have had issues with Chapter 3 and the Epilogue. Though most of what I can gather without actually highlighting spoilers is that Chapter 3 is so much shorter than the previous chapters that some things feel unresolved and unsatisfactory.

Van Buren

Snuggler said:

It could also have the reverse effect of lowering your expectations from the sky-high levels that the preceding chapters raise it to. So not exactly a bad thing.

sflufan

Banned
Snuggler said:

Here's what you do: Go into it with the feeling that it will be not just awful, but truly abysmal. That way, if it turns out to be just plain bad, you can say "Hey - that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!"

But pretty much every review has cited the ending as being a negative aspect that lowered their scores, in some cases from a 90+ to the upper 80s.

Zeliard

I imagine if you're going into Chapter 3 thinking it's going to be some large epic chapter like the previous two, and it's really just the denouement, then it might feel a bit anti-climatic. Going in with different expectations might lead to a different experience.

Corky

Snuggler said:

Haha nah man I'm usually really negative when it comes to flaws in games I love. Afterall who really gives a shit if Fable 3 has a bad story if you despise the rest of it, get what I mean?

Play chapter 3 with an open mind and make up your own choices and report back your own views :)

sflufan

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
Okay, cool. I have a GoG account. Dumb question, assuming the retail version works for me, can I link it to my Steam account? Really, another reason I'm leaning towards retail is the physical guidebook. I found the digital guide book from Witcher 1 cumbersome to pull up and reference while playing.

No, the retail version is not Steamworks-enabled.

Van Buren

Corky said:
Play chapter 3 with an open mind and make up your own choices and report back your own views :)

All I'm expecting is a bit of resolution to the Kingslayer story which the prologue starts. That and progress to uncovering pieces of Geralt's memory. If the game does these effectively, I'll probably be content. Any other larger conflict I'd rather see resolved in the coming games because just the end of chapter 1, where I'm currently at, introduces so many new players into the political game that it seems a single game won't do justice to them.

sflufan said:
No, the retail version is not Steamworks-enabled.

Hmm...I'll think I'll sleep on it befoere deciding. I'm trying to not be so impulsive buying games new these days. I've still got Mortal Kombat to keep me occupied right now and Portal 2 co-op. This will be mine at some point, but I think I'll just wait a little and pick up the Steam version a few weeks.

Corky

Van Buren said:
All I'm expecting is a bit of resolution to the Kingslayer story which the prologue starts. That and progress to uncovering pieces of Geralt's memory. If the game does these effectively, I'll probably be content. Any other larger conflict I'd rather see resolved in the coming games because just the end of chapter 1, where I'm currently at, introduces so many new players into the political game that it seems a single game won't do justice to them.

Yes this was basically my point of approach as well.

But with regards to the bolded part : Without spoiling anything, put yourself in a mental state of preparation to get forcefeed "many new players into the political game" during the endgame, to a vomit enducing extent.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Did anyone else think the start to Chapter 2 was FUCKING GANGBUSTERS?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
thetrin said:

I might have if it didn't totally wreck my framerate, I was down to 15FPS or so during most of that part. :(

Tokubetsu

Van Buren said:

I know Corky might disagree but I felt Chapter 3 did all of the threads going in W2 justice. If they didn't wrap things up, they progressed to a point where a new expansion or game made sense. From a purely story standpoint, Chapter 3 was 100% satisfying to me. It's just a bit stiff on the gameplay end but coming off Chapter 2 (roche's path) which was extremely meaty, it didn't bother me much.

Darklord said:
Can you romance other people in this game or is it set to Triss? It's hard to tell.

You can. I did one other, in Act II.

Ceebs

Darklord said:
Can you romance other people in this game or is it set to Triss? It's hard to tell.
You can hook up with Ves during chapter 2. Her breasts were smaller than expected

thetrin

Snuggler said:
I might have if it didn't totally wreck my framerate, I was down to 15FPS or so during most of that part. :(
Ouch. I think I was in the 30's to 40's during that part.

In the middle of Little Sisters (
Chapter II
), walking the beach, something hit me like a ton of bricks.

CD Projekt RED + The Dark Tower
. I didn't think anyone could handle the source material until I played The Witcher 2. This would be number one on my dream games list.

Man

Unoptimized garbage. Pretty much all settings disabled, have a Nvidia 460 and 4GB ram. Deleted the 3D Vision drivers as tipped but still horrible performance.

Corky

thetrin said:

omg yes, it was breathtaking really. Fuck I wan't to replay the game soo bad but I should atleast give it a day or two before jumping right back into it >_<

Kyaw

Did i get the less spectacular Chapter 2 opening? D: I went with Iorveth instead of Roche.

The environments in this game are fucking insane.
Every bit of the game has been gorgeous and eye rape to me.

Corky

Zeliard said:
I'd love to see what else CD Projekt can do. Their world-building is magnificent.

Yeap some of the best art I've seen this generation

Kyaw said:
Did i get the less spectacular Chapter 2 opening? D: I went with Iorveth instead of Roche.

keep going, you can't have played more than 5 minutes. It'll get muy muy spectacularrrrr

Tokubetsu

I'd love to CDP tackle Fallout with this engine. It's a pipe dream but god damn. Can you imagine fighting some of Fallouts monsters with this engine?

Darklord

Banned
Man said:
Unoptimized garbage. Pretty much all settings disabled, have a Nvidia 460 and 4GB ram. Deleted the 3D Vision drivers as tipped but still horrible performance.

What's your CPU and settings? I have a 260 and while it doesn't run great, it's more than playable.

I assume that the start of chapter 2 is the same regardless of your choices except for
who you flee with and where you go?

Because if so I can confirm that, yes, it was indeed gangbusters.

Salaadin

Tokubetsu said:
I'd love to CDP tackle Fallout with this engine. It's a pipe dream but god damn. Can you imagine fighting some of Fallouts monsters with this engine?
Post apocalyptic almost feels like an injustice to this engine because it does lush and lively so well but I'd love to see it

Man

Darklord said:
What's your CPU and settings? I have a 260 and while it doesn't run great, it's more than playable.
Everything is disabled except Bloom and Texture memory pool at Medium with no scaling. 1650x1080 res. CPU is 4x 2.8ghz. Latest 270.61 Nvidia driver.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tacitus_ said:
Well she definately wanted Geralts dick too :lol

Heh, it's funny cuz just like in TW1 I'm always thinking with my dick. Gettin with the ladies is always top priority, regardless of the situation.

"Geralt, the town is under attack, what do we do?!?!"

"I say we step into that closet and get to know each other a little better"

Although, I haven't got much action so far, I totally missed out on the brothel in ch. 1. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom