• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I just finished the game.

I have to agree with the disappointing ending crowd. Everything felt as though it was moving too quickly towards the end and we weren't given enough time to absorb all the story being thrown at us. The prologue and Chapter 1 were fantastic, Chapter 2 dragged for a little longer than I would've liked but still good. But Chapter 3, it went by waaay too quickly for me.

Witcher 2 is still a possible candidate for GOTY for me, but man, that ending (especially compared to the amazing opening) just felt weak.

Salaadin

3chopl0x said:
Steam version just got updated with all the bonus screenshots and artworks that were't even meant to be included
The 200 page thing? Maybe a nice "Thank you for downloading 16GBs on launch day" present.

Salaadin

Animator said:
I believe the correct term for that is "art book" not 200 page thing.

So picky...

:p

Have there been any reports of initial sales numbers for this game? I know its only been days but CDPR said yesterday that the game was selling fast and I was wonder if we had an estimates to go by?

Van Buren

Just did the side quest in Chapter 1 where wave after wave of Wraiths spawn. I must have killed 15+ of them, and I tried to do it without the aid of potions, bombs and traps on Hard. I found out during that gauntlet that Geralt can actually change directions while rolling. For instance, I can commit to a front roll, see the enemy about to attack, and change direction midway. After that, I've been toying with the enemies by doing feints using direction changing rolls.

Varna

Van Buren said:
Just did the side quest in Chapter 1 where wave after wave of Wraiths spawn. I must have killed 15+ of them, and I tried to do it without the aid of potions, bombs and traps on Hard. I found out during that gauntlet that Geralt can actually change directions while rolling. For instance, I can commit to a front roll, see the enemy about to attack, and change direction midway. After that, I've been toying with the enemies by doing feints using direction changing rolls.

Heh. I don't even think you have to kill any. I only took down three or so. I kept mind tricking one of them and just kited the left over one away.

EDIT: That spell is so useful. I love how your arsenal of weapons are so effective when used together.

The boss fight at the end of chapter 1 was just awesome. Took me a few tries though.
that fucker uses everything that you do!

Pankaks said:
So I just finished the game.

I have to agree with the disappointing ending crowed. Everything felt as though it was moving too quickly towards the end and we weren't given enough time to absorb all the story being thrown at us. The prologue and Chapter 1 were fantastic, Chapter 2 dragged for a little longer than I would've liked but still good. But Chapter 3, it went by waaay too quickly for me.

Witcher 2 is still a possible candidate for GOTY for me, but man, that ending (especially compared to the amazing opening) just felt weak.

Yep, that's pretty much how I felt. I was hoping for more of a lead up to the third game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
Tsk tsk you guys and your weight mods

No kidding, it's part of the game yo. This isn't Risen, you can't carry every single item in the game with you, man up and manage that shit.

Plus, if you're running with that many items maybe you should probably be doing more crafting!

It's kind of CDP's fault that everyone is using weight mods since there are only a few items which improve your weight limit and if you miss them you're screwed. Also not having any storage is really lame, I'm getting a bit sick of having to drop/sell 50 iron ore and timber every hour.

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
No kidding, it's part of the game yo. This isn't Risen, you can't carry every single item in the game with you, man up and manage that shit.

Plus, if you're running with that many items maybe you should probably be doing more crafting!

Exactly. Do more alchemy, crafting, or sell stuff. You don't need to be going around with 50 pieces of leather and timber people. :p I consider myself the hoarding type but the weight limit hasn't really posed an issue. Before I leave town and go off on whatever quest I always make sure I have plenty of space left.

scorpscarx said:
let her go man, let her go....

Too late. Her death was swift though. It was a better fate than what she would have faced had I taken her back to town and handed her over to Loredo I'll bet.

Yeah I'm not having a problem with my inventory. Making loads of bombs and potions on the fly, so haven't amassed a great deal of stuff. Also, I checked out the vendors in town when I got there and bought the diagrams that interested me. Now I'm working my way through the quests that net me the exotic ingredients, and once I've got those I'll nip back to town and get the vendors to build my stuff. After that, I'm going to loot all of the houses and flog the swag in one hit.

No problem.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Zeliard said:
Exactly. Do more alchemy, crafting, or sell stuff. You don't need to be going around with 50 pieces of leather and timber people. :p I consider myself the hoarding type but the weight limit hasn't really posed an issue. Before I leave town and go off on whatever quest I always make sure I have plenty of space left.
You don't always have better diagrams to craft and you can't know if these materials will be as plentiful later as they appear to be at the place you get them from. I only kept a specific amount in my inventory. I started with keeping 40 of each and selling anything over that, and eventually reduced it down to just 20 of each after acquiring more types of heavy materials, and I still was almost always nearly maxed, which meant I couldn't even loot an extra sword or two to sell later while on quests. It doesn't feel well balanced at all and imo can result in people getting put off the whole crafting system altogether. Bombs and traps have weight also...

I have inventory problems in every RPG because I hate getting rid of anything. I'm also worried I'll either need it or it may be useful later on.

Salaadin

Alextended said:
You don't always have better diagrams to craft and you can't know if these materials will be as plentiful later as they appear to be at the place you get them from. I only kept a specific amount in my inventory. I started with keeping 40 of each and selling anything over that, and eventually reduced it down to just 20 of each after acquiring more types of heavy materials, and I still was almost always nearly maxed, which meant I couldn't even loot an extra sword or two to sell later while on quests. It doesn't feel well balanced at all and imo can result in people getting put off the whole crafting system altogether. Bombs and traps have weight also...

Yeah theres really really no excuse.
Its a shame too because CDPR hit the nail on the head with TW1 and having Storage right away in the very first town and ever tavern from then on....with loads of space.

DieH@rd

Banned
3chopl0x said:
2012djk.jpg

[i just made this pic, batiatus meme must spread on!]

Varna

FUCK. I thought I had already made my choice when I
agreed to help Roche during the boss battle
. Now I have to choose again. :(

Zeliard

Alextended said:

Right now my inventory is at 209/250, which is around where I usually try to keep it at, and I have a wide assortment of bombs, daggers, traps (including 16 snares at 1 weight unit each), some timber, leather, an extra cutlass in my inventory (which I'm about to sell), etc.

Heavier items like timber and leather are also used for simpler, earlier items, especially timber. So there's no reason you should ever be carrying that many of those. The well-balanced dagger alone uses 2 pieces of iron ore and 1 piece of timber, so just creating a bunch of those will relieve you of a lot of weight room and get you several daggers in the process.

I only ever became encumbered once in my playthrough so far and that's when I was carrying tons of leather, timber, cloth, iron ore, etc, which is just unnecessary. I think if anything the weight limit encourages you to craft and use alchemy. If you can just pick everything up without consideration, you can more easily ignore those aspects entirely and just leave crafting tools sitting in your inventory for the whole game.

What do you guys keep in your inventory that causes you to keep going over the weight limit?

Max

I am not Max
Message and package sent from Thaler given to me by some random guy.

But I let Thaler die... o.o

Zeliard said:
What if I want to keep my cool looking equipments?

epmode

L0st Id3ntity said:
This. The most recent mod doesn't really help here since it only affects crafting materials. Ideally, we'd have a storage chest similar to the first game.

I don't like just making shit I don't want just to keep my weight down, I don't like selling stuff that I might need later (since I don't know the mat requirements for later items), I don't like avoiding pickups because the stupid glow will never go away.

edit: I believe that this mod sets everything to 0 weight. It's a crappy workaround but it's better than not having storage at all.

Loving the game so far. However, when I click on the register button from the launcher I am not able to enter any data into the registration fields. It will not accept any key presses. Also, if I go to the website the Register button is greyed out and there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to create an account.

Has anyone else run into this issue and found a solution? Thanks for the help.

Van Buren

Zeliard said:
What do you guys keep in your inventory that causes you to keep going over the weight limit?

Far too many snares, bombs and potions. I constantly experiment with new tactics, so I like to carry at least two of each kind to experiment with. I also clean out the traders everyday for their silver ores, robust cloth, etc. It all adds up.

The real reason though is that on a gamepad, there is only a loot all function, and this means I need to loot junk and then discard it using the menu, which isn't very comfortable to navigate.

Lastly, I recently replayed Witcher 1 with 2 mods - access storage at any time, and stack 9999 items in each slot. This basically meant I could loot everything, and I'm trying to replicate that here.

WEGGLES

Switched to Easy. It's a bit too easy, but medium is a bit too hard. Ah well. I'd rather plough through it than take an hour at each encounter. Heh.

Exuro

Sober said:
Good to know the gog.com forums are just like everywhere else on the internet, a cesspool!
Official forums are always the worst and with the TW forums still being working on GoG is the place for "those" fans to go to.

Alexios

I tried it a bit on easy but it was too easy. Enemies pretty much never block basically, even those with shields, so you just whacked until they died. It's not very fun. Then again, being in a tiny space with like 5 or more enemies that can and do block and lock you into a flinching/falling cycle from their hits the moment you're left without the shield aard (and you can't even block two hits at once even if you still have vigor left, due to the stagger animations) isn't very fun either... The fights in the prologue were spot on, nice open spaces, especially the one before opening the gate the king's men were trying to axe down, that's the sort of area that is great to fight multiple enemies in, not tiny rooms.

How do you counter anyway (360 pad)? I've maxed that skill but the game never explained how to do it. Striking right after a block doesn't feel any different than before.

Zeliard said:

The usual stuff, Geralt is generally carrying around a forest's worth of lumber and enough iron ore to equip an army. Do you pick and choose what to take when you're looting though? When you're playing with a controller you always just loot everything, so in my case I think I just don't even realise that I'm picking up 5 pieces of wood every few minutes. I'm wondering how many people are in the same boat

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jim-jam bongs said:
Do you pick and choose what to take when you're looting though? When you're playing with a controller you always just loot everything, so in my case I think I just don't even realise that I'm picking up 5 pieces of wood every few minutes. I'm wondering how many people are in the same boat

Yeah, that is one major advantage of using KB/M with this game: you can choose which loot to take instead of just snatching everything up.

I was having the same problem with all the stupid lumber but I'm on ch. 2 now and I found the rat catcher dude who assembles biter traps for me. I finally used up all that twine and lumber I was carrying around and now I have some sweet traps.

Sober

Alextended said:
How do you counter anyway (360 pad)? I've maxed that skill but the game never explained how to do it. Striking right after a block doesn't feel any different than before.
Same as KBM (E then LMB) but for a controller it's just RT then X. It only really seems to work with the 'focus' target (the one with the icon)... hard to describe, but when you pick up the Riposte talent, when you block and they are midswing, the "cross" icon on the enemy flashes into a sword icon, it's awfully quick, but if you hit it as you see it, Geralt will do a counterattack. I think it also uses a vigour point, IIRC. You'll know when he does it, he sorta does a roll + thrust.

Zeliard

jim-jam bongs said:
The usual stuff, Geralt is generally carrying around a forest's worth of lumber and enough iron ore to equip an army. Do you pick and choose what to take when you're looting though? When you're playing with a controller you always just loot everything, so in my case I think I just don't even realise that I'm picking up 5 pieces of wood every few minutes. I'm wondering how many people are in the same boat

I hit the loot all button most of the time but if I know if I'm carrying too much of a certain item, I individually pick the items out.

L0st Id3ntity said:

You should be equipping it and selling the rest. :>

Alexios

If it uses vigor that's probably why I've never done it then, I most often have no vigor at all and if I do it's just one that is used up for the block. Even though I got the skills that make it supposedly regenerate faster both in and out of combat, sometimes I circle groups of enemies for ages and it gives none, while rarely I get a full refill in no time at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom