• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoplx

Yeah :( Don't mean to sound like a dick but i really wish the people who did the interviews actually knew what they were talking about.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Rainbow would totally lose the feel. Here is a more visible version if others agree, but I think the other one has a more magical feel and I can read it just fine.

dLwSE.gif

I wonder if, when you're starting the game you can select what your primary choices would have been in the previous game would have been like they do sometimes in some games..?

Exuro

ColonialRaptor said:
I wonder if, when you're starting the game you can select what your primary choices would have been in the previous game would have been like they do sometimes in some games..?
Pretty sure they said there wouldn't be. You'll just be neutral.

Blizzard

Banned
Exuro said:
Pretty sure they said there wouldn't be. You'll just be neutral.
If I go back and play Witcher 1 after playing Witcher 2, I could presumably import my save if I make a new Witcher 2 game, though, maybe?

Of course, presumably I'd be story-spoiled etc. and it would be a bad idea to play Witcher 1 second, but I may still do it some day.

antonz

Blizzard said:
If I go back and play Witcher 1 after playing Witcher 2, I could presumably import my save if I make a new Witcher 2 game, though, maybe?

Of course, presumably I'd be story-spoiled etc. and it would be a bad idea to play Witcher 1 second, but I may still do it some day.
You could go back later and import sure. They say there is 16 different endings and alot of content people wont see on 1 playthrough. So lots of reasons to go at it again with different attitudes etc

Exuro

Blizzard said:

Sure, and you could bring over shiny armor and stuff too. Although I'm not sure how much choices from the first affect the second. It could be a minimum few phrases here and there that it isn't really worth it.

Blizzard

Banned
antonz said:
You could go back later and import sure. They say there is 16 different endings and alot of content people wont see on 1 playthrough. So lots of reasons to go at it again with different attitudes etc
Cool, thanks. My only concern then would be whether the GoG Witcher 2 works with my Steam copy of the Witcher 1 enhanced edition. Not a bit deal though.

Ok that's it, I'm goin media blackout starting from...

Right now.

Just finishing witcher right before I start tw2 should have maximum effect on seeing all the changes and evolution (graphically and gameplay wise).

Having only played the game now is like seeing a 4 year leap happen in a week.

Dice

I wish I could cancel my Steam preorder and give my money to them via GoG version.

Looking at the GoG site I'm tempted to buy some games. Moto Racer 2, Shogo, XIII, Fallout 1 & 2... Too bad they don't have Forsaken.

Exuro

Dice said:
I wish I could cancel my Steam preorder and give my money to them via GoG version.

Looking at the GoG site I'm tempted to buy some games. Moto Racer 2, Shogo, XIII, Fallout 1 & 2... Too bad they don't have Forsaken.
You can cancel Steam preorders you know.

epmode

Dice said:
How? I can't find it...
You have to open a Steam support ticket.

It's pretty close to the actual release date but they apparently honor cancellations as long as the ticket was opened before then.

antonz

gamerecks said:
Will a 2GB 540m be able to run this? Im not expecting to run it natively(1080p) just need to know if it will. I need this game.
I would think Medium to High at a reasonable resolution will run fairly well. 1080P is probably not an option on High

Complistic

A 260 ran it at a reasonably high resolution on Ultra at 20 - 25 fps. So you can figure out where you stand based on that maybe.

edit: I should also point out that was an unoptimized preview build.

Complistic said:
A 260 ran it at a reasonably high resolution on Ultra at 20 - 25 fps. So you can figure out where you stand based on that maybe.

Hm, my card is pretty much identical in performance to a 260...
Just on the verge of 'can't use AA, might have to lower some settings' even at 1280x1024 I guess.

To upgrade or not to upgrade...

Dice

epmode said:
You have to open a Steam support ticket.

It's pretty close to the actual release date but they apparently honor cancellations as long as the ticket was opened before then.
Do you know if they're pretty quick about charging back the money? Like, would it be done quickly enough to pre-order from GoG? I don't like throwing money around, so I'd rather it be there first.

I think I might do it either way, even though it could cost me $5 and I'd miss out on the preorder bonus game. I somehow feel like the modding community will focus more on the standard release than the Steam version.

Lothars

Dice said:
I think I might do it either way, even though it could cost me $5 and I'd miss out on the preorder bonus game. I somehow feel like the modding community will focus more on the standard release than the Steam version.

It's the same release though other than the DRM which I don't think is a big deal and I would be shocked if they had to do anything special to mod the Steam version over the GoG version.

Complistic

SneakyStephan said:
Just on the verge of 'can't use AA, might have to lower some settings' even at 1280x1024 I guess.

I have a 260 myself and just plan on playing it on high until i upgrade. That should give me some great fps and the game still looks amazing on just high. Will probably upgrade sometime over the summer.

Wallach

SneakyStephan said:

You'd definitely benefit from an upgrade, but I think it should actually run alright if they did their homework on this engine. It's all DX9 at least.

Complistic said:
I have a 260 myself and just plan on playing it on high until i upgrade. That should give me some great fps and the game still looks amazing on just high. Will probably upgrade sometime over the summer.

A major rpg like this is an experience you only get to have once (first playthrough).
That's why I'm thinking of upgrading, replaying it later at higher settings doesn't really interest me.

Thing is my card has kept going strong until now, all other games still run great maxed out.
I'm a stickler for bad framerates though, so as soon as I can't get my 40+ fps average anymore the card has to go.
I couldn't enjoy bulletstorm because it ran like ass on ati cards at release.

A 200 ish dollar upgrade for one game is kind of stretching it though (I won't count bulletstorm because ue3 engine games normally perform amazingly well on my pc)

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Beautiful final trailer...it's between this one and Hope for best pairing of imagery/music. Very curious to know if this is music from the soundtrack or not. Love the folk/metal thing, very suitable for the world of Sapkowski.

epmode

Dice said:
Do you know if they're pretty quick about charging back the money? Like, would it be done quickly enough to pre-order from GoG? I don't like throwing money around, so I'd rather it be there first.
They tend to respond on business days so you probably won't know for sure until Monday. Generally speaking, Steam will not deny a pre-purchase refund request provided that the game hasn't launched.
I somehow feel like the modding community will focus more on the standard release than the Steam version.
I seriously doubt that there will be any difference between the two versions when it comes to modding. That sort of thing is very rare.

Exuro

SneakyStephan said:
A major rpg like this is an experience you only get to have once (first playthrough).
That's why I'm thinking of upgrading, replaying it later at higher settings doesn't really interest me.
Really? One of the major "features" in the game is replaying it and going to new locations you missed in a previous playthrough through different choices.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
epmode said:
They tend to respond on business days so you probably won't know for sure until Monday. Generally speaking, Steam will not deny a pre-purchase refund request provided that the game hasn't launched.I seriously doubt that there will be any difference between the two versions when it comes to modding. That sort of thing is very rare.

Eh, I used to think this, but I know that, say, Texmod, for example which is a pretty commonly used (albeit shitty) mod tool that's used to mod everything from Tomb Raider to Mass Effect, doesn't play well with Steam at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom