• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

kittoo said:
I should start The Witcher 1 today, just so that I am ready when this comes out!
Cant wait!
yes you should because youll spend 60-80 hours on a relatively full playthrough ;)

Dizzy-4U

Really hoping that there's a pre-download on Steam. It will take me like 3 or 4 days to download with my current ISP and I want to be there day 1.

zlatko

Banned
Hoping to get this day one if money isn't tight. This is the game I think will get most of the game of the year wins when all is said and done.

Chesskid1

Banned
is there any specific technical reason why it doesn't support 16:10 atm?

my main monitor is 16:10, even though i'll probably tv-out and controller up this game, it still disappoints me about that 16:10 news.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The videos I have seen make rolling and whatnot seem like a big deal, almost Zelda-ish in some parts. I might want to try pad even though it's always nice having spells, map, inventory, etc. all with dedicated buttons on KB. If they're making it so you can flip between pad and KBM on the fly, they are truly the new masters of RPGs.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
EviLore said:
You'll be able to play with tiny black bars at the top and bottom, unless that's a huge deal for you.
My monitor is already only 1440x900, so the prospect of dropping to 1336x768 is pretty unappealing for a game where the visual fidelity is such a big deal.

mileS

Great OP. Simple yet packed with tons of info in an easy to read layout.

Speaking of that I really like the way the UI and menus are done in this game. Looks like it strikes the perfect balance for navigating and use for both controller and kb+m.

I've had the first game on Steam for almost 2 years but I didn't get far due to my crappy 16:10 monitor and the cutscene and dialogue issue. Yea theres a work around but for some reason I hate playing games that aren't in native res. Finally upgraded a couple days ago so I can go back and play it without the that issue but OH MAN only a week to finish it. Time to get serious.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Dizzy-4U said:
Really hoping that there's a pre-download on Steam. It will take me like 3 or 4 days to download with my current ISP and I want to be there day 1.
Doesn't look like it. I want to be wrong though.

Exuro

Dizzy-4U said:
It's kind of lame/weird. They are supporting the Steam version with Steamworks but not preload. I can wait a few hours for it to download but it would had been nice for CDPR to allow preloading on the Steam version.

HKnightz

16pkur.png

Thanks for the avatar! awesome OP...cannot wait for this game

dwebo

Dance In My Blood said:
My monitor is already only 1440x900, so the prospect of dropping to 1336x768 is pretty unappealing for a game where the visual fidelity is such a big deal.
I'm assuming it'd still output at 1440x900, only the black bars would reduce the rendered resolution to 1440x810.

Just pretend it's an interactive movie or something.

Van Buren

KAL2006 said:
question do you have to play the first one to enjoy this game, also is there video story recap of the first game

While CDProjekt maintains that it is not essential, previews have mentioned how the game assumes you are familiar with the characters and events of the first game. Also, the choices made in the first game are supposed to have some sort of impact in the sequel - the extent of the impacts is unknown at the moment.

That said, Witcher 1 is a great game that shouldn't be missed. You can grab the infinite health mod linked in the other Witcher 2 thread to blaze through the game.

Complistic

Dance In My Blood said:

Im in the same boat as you, but I have no reason to doubt them when they say they plan on patching it in after release.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
MickeyKnox said:
Avatar change, I haven't done that in fucking forever.
I might be wrong as I haven't been keeping close track but I think I've had 3 permanent ones thus far. It definitely doesn't happen often.

Fuck yeah, fuck yeah, FUCK YEAH!
WE ARE IN THE PARTY!

Excelent work with the OT Snuggler, epic and amazing, I love that is a contrary mirror of the Evilore's Dragon Age 2 thread :lol

And here Im waiting my Deluxe Edition!

mileS

Dice said:
The videos I have seen make rolling and whatnot seem like a big deal, almost Zelda-ish in some parts. I might want to try pad even though it's always nice having spells, map, inventory, etc. all with dedicated buttons on KB. If they're making it so you can flip between pad and KBM on the fly, they are truly the new masters of RPGs.

I like the slow motion radial menu for the signs and spells. Looks like it works great for both controller and kb+m. If i had to guess I'm sure the map is set to the back button and inventory is probably start on controller.

I'm not sure if you swap on the fly or not. Did they address this in that GOG stream when they answered questions? I can't remember.

Guardian Bob said:
So, are people going to recommend the first game? I would like to play the first, never played the first.

You can get it tomorrow for $5. There is no reason not to get it and play through it. Just be warned, you have to make it through Chapter 1 before the game starts to pick up a bit.

Looking good. Halfway through Chapter 3 on my playthrough. Also in the middle of finals. But I should have Thu-Sat free, so hopefully I can make good progress. I also have a week off between release date and the time I start a job. Will be lots of The Witcher in the next two weeks.

Hell yes. My swords are ready.

Guardian Bob said:
So, are people going to recommend the first game? I would like to play the first, never played the first.

Of course we are! If you'd like to play the first, but you haven't played the first, then GO PLAY THE FIRST :D It's a fantastic game.

I know people like to whinge about Outer Vizima but I didn't mind the pace of that section because it allowed me the time to come to grips with The Witcher's mechanics, specifically figure out how important alchemy is. You learn to make potions fairly early in TW1 that you will be using and abusing throughout the entirety of the game.

jaundicejuice said:
I know people like to whinge about Outer Vizima but I didn't mind the pace of that section because it allowed me the time to come to grips with The Witcher's mechanics, specifically figure out how important alchemy is. You learn to make potions fairly early in TW1 that you will be using and abusing throughout the entirety of the game.

You're not wrong. I didn't mind Chapter 1 at all. I just preface my recommendations of the first game because a lot of people I know that have played it really didn't enjoy themselves until after getting to Chapter 2.

dwebo

Guardian Bob said:
Meh, the "story so far' bit in the OP does a good job of recapping the first game. Each paragraph is an act (prologue -> act 1-5 -> epilogue, ending movie). Considering the first game takes 30-40 hours minimum, during which there's still a lot of general jankiness and tedious segments - I'd say fuck it.

Vasili2K38

jaundicejuice said:

In fact I loved Chapter 1, I didn't know much about the game and I was certainly impressed. And yeah, about TW1 potions, Cat & Swallow & Blizzard FTW. Even in Hard, with those potions you would defeat anything.

piratepwnsninja said:
<-YOINK

BTW, has there been any word on mod tools?
Nothing too concrete. There should be mod tools released eventually, but not at launch.

On another note, I saw in GoG's explanation of the Australian price increase that they expect that some player will probably create a user mod removing the Australian censorship within the first few days of release.

Vasilisk said:
In fact I loved Chapter 1, I didn't know much about the game and I was certainly impressed. And yeah, about TW1 potions, Cat & Swallow & Blizzard FTW. Even in Hard, with those potions you would defeat anything.

Same here, I really liked Chapter 1.

Slo

Awesome OP. Just finally got through The Witcher about a month ago, can't wait to play this one right along side you guys.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dance In My Blood said:

The prospect of running at a mere 1440x900 is pretty unappealing for a game where the visual fidelity is such a big deal. Buy a real monitor! And one that supports 1:1 pixel mapping, so you can run 16:9 without issue :p

Although you're probably on an older laptop with that resolution.

What about people who have monitor with aspect ratio of 4:3 :(

You could try a saw, you need to remove about 1/3 of it.

sw1tch said:
Does the steam release really have achievements? because I don't see them on steam, where did you got the info?

As EviLore said, yes, CDProjekt. But just in case, here's your proof (scroll down to the bottom to the CDP RED admin post, or ctrl+f "achievements").

dwebo said:
Meh, the "story so far' bit in the OP does a good job of recapping the first game. Each paragraph is an act (prologue -> act 1-5 -> epilogue, ending movie). Considering the first game takes 30-40 hours minimum, during which there's still a lot of general jankiness and tedious segments - I'd say fuck it.

That said, if you enjoy janky games, or have a decent tolerance for less than ideal systems, you could end up really, really enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom