• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RedSwirl said:
Also, something about the videos has made me also want to play Witcher 2 with a controller. Is the combat still like the first game where you command and then Geralt attacks, or is it like an action RPG where you directly attack with a face button?

It's completely real time, so Geralt will react to every button press.

Also, fishing sounds amazing.

Fezan

LiquidMetal14 said:
How long you had that avatar? Or did you just save mine and alter it? Now I will have to change mine. If you did cop it, at least ask next time please!

Be honest as I'm not upset but I hate sharing the same avatar with someone else. I just cropped and made mine not 2 hours ago too.
Fezan said:
19ykaa.png

Mine :)
(Today, 04:13 AM) Got from the OT
Sober said:
Honestly, I don't think it's a big deal. Everyone complains about having some black bars, people with 4:3 lose 1/3 of their screen. Meh, I got used to it after AC1 to ACBro on the PC. I really stop noticing anyway.
Now i am going to notice it just like screen tearing :(

LiquidMetal14 said:
How long you had that avatar? Or did you just save mine and alter it? Now I will have to change mine. If you did cop it, at least ask next time please!

Be honest as I'm not upset but I hate sharing the same avatar with someone else. I just cropped and made mine not 2 hours ago too.

Did you already change your avatar since this post? Because your avatar is different.

I'm sorry that you had the same image. I created the avatars in the OT and I did my best to avoid any images that I had seen that people had used already - but if you updated today then there was no way I could have been able to tell sorry :(

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Nice OT. Pretty pumped for this, been upgrading my PC largely for this game.

Disappointed there won't be a Steam pre-load though.

Exuro

RedSwirl said:
WHUUUUU....
For some reason fishing minigames always get me more hyped up. I just hope most games that do this would basically rip off the ones in Zelda.
I'm not sure how it works, but I asked the guy at ripten(i sounds english illiterate) about the fishing lure icon in the inventory and he said...

"It IS a lure!! Let’s go fishing!"

So until he posts again we won't know the exact details.

Cheech

Almost wrapped up Chapter 4 in Witcher 1 on my first playthrough. Game is flat out amazing.

If I'd known, I would have built a PC just to play this game. I still think I will prefer Skyrim, but Witcher 2 looks like such a vast improvement on the first game which I'm digging the hell out of it might be close. It is almost an insult to the devs that I bought it for $5 and then sat on it for months.

So will the game be available to me at midnight or 2:00AM? I'm at Central time America.

Also which of these games should I get for my free game choice:

Beyond Divinity
Divine Divinity
Gothic 2: Gold
Realms of Arkania 1+2
Realms of Arkania 3

Just finished reading the quest log from those save files that some one linked from Gamefaqs. All the choices seem right, probably better than anything I would have managed to do my self. So I am all set and probably won't do another playthrough.

Edit: I would go with Divine Divinity. But that's just me.

Van Buren

Flying_Phoenix said:

Divine Divinity is a hack & slash rpg in the vein of Diablo, but with a gameworld that is far more developed. It has gorgeous isometric graphics and a wonderful soundtrack.

Gothic 2: Gold is the best open world rpg I've played. But it takes a bit of getting used to at first.

Realms of Arkania 2: Star Trail is great, but is very old-school, and quite unforgiving. Unless you know what you're getting into, I'd skip the RoA series for now.

Beyond Divinity isn't as good as Divine Divinity.

So, choose between Gothic 2 & Divine Divinity, based on the genre of the rpg you want to play.

Ugh, supposedly Witcher 2 has been leaked and pirated.

News
The Witcher 2 Leaked Online, Causes Uproar From Gamers
by ChrisPriestman on May 9th, 2011 News
CD Projekt's highly anticipated RPG The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is not due a release until May 17th. Despite the developers efforts to keep the game from pirates, the full game has been leaked online. However, those downloading the game are being shunned by gamers for disrespecting the company's generosity to PC gamers.

It was inevitable that a highly anticipated PC title like The Witcher 2 would be leaked before its official release date. In fact, this was so obviously going to happen that developers CD Projekt prepared for it months beforehand. Firstly they won the hearts of the gaming community by announcing that the game would be released without any form of DRM. They followed this move up by stating that they would be hunting down and issuing out fines to anyone that illegally downloaded their upcoming RPG sequel. The former of these decisions was retracted slightly as it is now only the GoG.com download of the game that will be completely DRM free, with other versions maintaining copy protection measures with SecuROM. However, CD Projekt’s relative ease on the highly controversial topic has won the hearts of many gamers who have shown their support through some rather surprising, and uplifting statements.

One leaker has uploaded some footage of themselves playing the game:

Unfortunately CD Projekt’s threats and security measures have not deterred the full game being leaked for download, along with the security crack. Of course, many people have slammed their fingers on the ‘Download Torrent’ button and are reportedly playing the game with no interruptions. However, the leak has caused a bit of a defiant uproar from many gamers who have shamed anyone for even considering downloading the game before release. It seems that the PC gaming community have sided heavily with CD Projekt due to a high amount of respect for their dedication to PC gaming, maintaining an interest in cRPG’s, and treating gamers with respect rather than condemning them all as thieving pirates. The message being spread across the internet is one that hopes to encourage more pre-orders and patience to ensure that CD Projekt are given the return in profits they deserve for their trust in the gaming community.

This is one game I would not pirate for sure. The developers have specifically stated that they don't believe in DRM and hence are making it available on GOG for that reason. The DRM in other releases is due to PUBLISHERS (like NAMCO, ATARI) who are forcing the copy-protection.

I haven't played the original Witcher but since it's made by Cd Projekt the guys who brought us GoG I would hope we don't pirate their shiznit.

They seem like a decent, well meaning company and have reinvigorated some gamers interests in cRPG, not through the Witcher, but through their GoG subsidiary. For that they deserve to be supported, and the best support is $.

Exuro

LovingSteam said:
Ugh, supposedly Witcher 2 has been leaked and pirated.
It was leaked a few days ago but it's only the clonedvd so no one can play it until may 17th, unless there's more recent news I haven't heard.

mr stroke said:
anyone have an idea on game length?
CDPR themselves say its shorter but there are more alternate paths, so playing the game a second time and making different choices could land you in new areas that you missed during the first playthrough.

Hawk269

Anybody order via Amazon with their "day of release delivery"? I have a reg. edition, but am so excited, I think I want to order the big set, but my local store is no longer do pre-orders for it. So if anyone has used Amazon day of release delivery do you really get it that same day? Any issues with them on new releases?

Thanks!

antonz

Hawk269 said:
Anybody order via Amazon with their "day of release delivery"? I have a reg. edition, but am so excited, I think I want to order the big set, but my local store is no longer do pre-orders for it. So if anyone has used Amazon day of release delivery do you really get it that same day? Any issues with them on new releases?

Thanks!
If you do release day delivery you get it on the day its released.

Exuro

LovingSteam said:
Someone uploaded themselves playing via youtube. So yea, its out there.
lol that's the exact video from the preorder conference. If you're referring to the youtube video in that link. That was shown last year when CDPR revealed the various preorder schemes.

Exuro said:
lol that's the exact video from the preorder conference. If you're referring to the youtube video in that link. That was shown last year when CDPR revealed the various preorder schemes.

Errr. Guess not then. My bad.

THATS AN AUSSIE COPY!?!?!

I'm an Aussie... where did you get it?

Would it really mean that if you get the game early you can't play it because of the online activation/

The last week wait is excruciating, I've spent the whole day at work today just watching videos and reading previews and catching up on elements of the first game and I am killing myself by looking at it too much. FFS. DANG!

Van Buren said:
Divine Divinity is a hack & slash rpg in the vein of Diablo, but with a gameworld that is far more developed. It has gorgeous isometric graphics and a wonderful soundtrack.

Gothic 2: Gold is the best open world rpg I've played. But it takes a bit of getting used to at first.

Realms of Arkania 2: Star Trail is great, but is very old-school, and quite unforgiving. Unless you know what you're getting into, I'd skip the RoA series for now.

Beyond Divinity isn't as good as Divine Divinity.

So, choose between Gothic 2 & Divine Divinity, based on the genre of the rpg you want to play.

Open world like Oblivion or Fallout 2?

Echoplx

ColonialRaptor said:
THATS AN AUSSIE COPY!?!?!

I'm an Aussie... where did you get it?

Would it really mean that if you get the game early you can't play it because of the online activation/

The last week wait is excruciating, I've spent the whole day at work today just watching videos and reading previews and catching up on elements of the first game and I am killing myself by looking at it too much. FFS. DANG!

3chopl0x said:
I wish it was mine :p

Posted by a namco bandai rep on another forum.

:(

Van Buren

Flying_Phoenix said:
Open world like Oblivion or Fallout 2?

Graphically, it's ps2-level 3d graphics, so I'd say it is closer to Oblivion on the visual front.

Mechanically, though, it does not just auto-scale everything like Oblivion and call it a day - there is a genuine sense of danger when venturing out in the woods. So, it's closer to Fallout 2 in that regard.

Have you played Risen ? If you have, that's a much better comparison.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Not too surprising. 20-ish hours is what you can expect from games with this level of detail...I don't think anyone is ever again going to make a BG2-esque, sprawling 80+ hour story driven RPG unless they use a simplified engine which lets them quickly generate assets and minimal voice-acting.

CDPR has repeatedly said that they want each area to feel unique and finely detailed; with this level of detail that means a 20 hour experience. Those expecting 40-60 hours like the original (which included many copy/paste and generic elements and meaningless fetch quests to pad its length), were not paying attention to what the devs have been saying.

Exuro

MollyMillions said:
Those expecting 40-60 hours like the original (which included many copy/paste and generic elements and meaningless fetch quests to pad its length), were not paying attention to what the devs have been saying.
Except Tomas Gop himself said to expect a 30-40 hour game. :p

This IS only one review though(which was highly positive). I'll wait for some more to get a better idea on length.

$5 for The Witcher is a fucking steal.

Van Buren said:
Graphically, it's ps2-level 3d graphics, so I'd say it is closer to Oblivion on the visual front.

Mechanically, though, it does not just auto-scale everything like Oblivion and call it a day - there is a genuine sense of danger when venturing out in the woods. So, it's closer to Fallout 2 in that regard.

Have you played Risen ? If you have, that's a much better comparison.

Thanks. I'll try it out then.

dwebo

Yeah, from the faq on their forums:
------ 5----- How long is the game?
Main story line is about the same length as TW1’s - 40h. Side quests make it 2 -3 times more.
Game’s divided into prologue + 3 acts + epilogue.
16 different endings.
At the same time, I wouldn't put much stock into how long one reviewer says the game is. If all the reviews start saying it then maybe it's an issue. Speaking of reviews, when's the embargo up?

Shawsie64

Banned
Flying_Phoenix said:
So will the game be available to me at midnight or 2:00AM? I'm at Central time America.

Beyond Divinity
Divine Divinity
Gothic 2: Gold
Realms of Arkania 1+2
Realms of Arkania 3

Yeah suggestions please :)

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Exuro said:
Except Tomas Gop himself said to expect a 30-40 hour game.

Did he really? That's crazy. I can't think of a really polished story-driven game that is that long and uses HD assets.

Wonder if Gop was referring to multiple playthroughs, since apparently there is a greater deviation between different gameplay paths compared to the first game.

MollyMillions said:
Not too surprising. 20-ish hours is what you can expect from games with this level of detail...I don't think anyone is ever again going to make a BG2-esque, sprawling 80+ hour story driven RPG unless they use a simplified engine which lets them quickly generate assets and minimal voice-acting.

CDPR has repeatedly said that they want each area to feel unique and finely detailed; with this level of detail that means a 20 hour experience. Those expecting 40-60 hours like the original (which included many copy/paste and generic elements and meaningless fetch quests to pad its length), were not paying attention to what the devs have been saying.

In a sense, this game is more than just 20 hours. There is a lot of branching content that you can only see if you make certain decisions, so in order to play the whole game you'll need to have repeat playthroughs. So in a sense, the developers probably have packed 60 - 80 hours of content into the game (from what I understand that are four main paths right?).

Why is this thread not firing more? Is it not as popular as I expect because there isn't a console release?

At least it's going to be a close knit group of people posting and playing, and I'm all for that... because if you like this game you must be a cool person (I mean, you just gotta be...) so this thread is going to be just as enjoyable as the game :)

Remember to keep those Avatar requests coming through peeps :)

Woo Just noticed I'm now a Full Member!!! Yay!

Edit - I think The Witcher's graphical fidelity is amazing. I think where it falls down is in the animations, the characters talking looks stiff and forced, and the jumping between animations (rather than smooth transitions) is really jarring. Everything that was wrong with the first game seems to have been improved upon and perfected for this game. Damn, the more I see of it, the more I'm getting excited in every moment. The Choice based RPG done the RIGHT way and it is going to be SO glorious.

Van Buren

Exuro said:
"Unhurried gameplay takes about 24 hours."

How reliable is this outlet when it comes to analyzing WPRGs, though ? The reason I ask is that when any magazine holds ME2 as the pinnacle of all the computer RPGs ever released, I'm inclined to wait for impressions from a better source.

It reminds me of a few mainstream reviews citing ME1 to be a 7 - 15 hour game.

Boarding the Hype train!! Actually been on it quite some time the destination is so close i can taste it!

Also GoG or Steam??? choices? Any suggestions

Exuro

Van Buren said:
How reliable is this outlet when it comes to analyzing WPRGs, though ? The reason I ask is that when any magazine holds ME2 as the pinnacle of all the computer RPGs ever released, I'm inclined to wait for impressions from a better source.

It reminds me of a few mainstream reviews citing ME1 to be a 7 - 15 hour game.
No idea but they had a "deal" to release the first review of the game. Beyond that I know nothing about them.

Johnny2Bags said:
Boarding the Hype train!! Actually been on it quite some time the destination is so close i can taste it!

Also GoG or Steam??? choices? Any suggestions
GoG if you want it DRM free and preloaded. Steam if you want it on Steam with achievements and cloud saving.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
dwebo said:
Yeah, from the faq on their forums:

I have been referencing that as well, but I just looked at it again and the 40+ hour statement was made back in March 2010 so it's possible that it as changed.

Anyways, I hope for close to 30 hours but it's not like TW1 wouldn't have benefitted from being a bit shorter.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
ColonialRaptor said:
Why is this thread not firing more? Is it not as popular as I expect because there isn't a console release?

At least it's going to be a close knit group of people posting and playing, and I'm all for that... because if you like this game you must be a cool person (I mean, you just gotta be...) so this thread is going to be just as enjoyable as the game :)

Remember to keep those Avatar requests coming through peeps :)

Woo Just noticed I'm now a Full Member!!! Yay!

I asked the same question in the last Witcher thread and was told it's because people have nothing to say because they're so excited. I think generally PC gamers with machines fancy enough to play this game tend to be a reserved and often hypercritical group compared to hype threads for console franchises, which are home to a lot more excitable fan behavior.

The exception to this rule is threads for Valve and Blizzard games, which are the only place you'll see PC-only gamers freaking out over something.

Oh, and if you can find a way to Triss-ify my Kaneko avatar, go for it! :)

ColonialRaptor said:
They probably just don't want to check this thread because it reminds them that they have another week before they can actually play.

24 hours sounds a little shorter than I expected, but did the reviewer take the time to actually stop and smell the roses? I know when I'm able to play my playtime is going to go up dramatically from exploring and looking at the sights.

MollyMillions said:
I asked the same question in the last Witcher thread and was told it's because people have nothing to say because they're so excited. I think generally PC gamers with machines fancy enough to play this game tend to be a reserved and often hypercritical group compared to hype threads for console franchises, which are home to a lot more excitable fan behavior.

The exception to this rule is threads for Valve and Blizzard games, which are the only place you'll see PC-only gamers freaking out over something.

Oh, and if you can find a way to Triss-ify my Kaneko avatar, go for it! :)

So... Red hair?

I will do something... Home time in less than 2 hours, custom Avatars will start from when I get home (well I'll be going for a 30 minute run first and then a shower and will start).

Exuro

Typographenia said:
They probably just don't want to check this thread because it reminds them that they have another week before they can actually play.

24 hours sounds a little shorter than I expected, but did the reviewer take the time to actually stop and smell the roses? I know when I'm able to play my playtime is going to go up dramatically from exploring and looking at the sights.
It says unhurried but who knows what that actually means. We'll have to wait for more reviews and see what they say about length. I'm not sure if there's a May 17th embargo or whatnot. Even if it is, the replayability sounds like it's going to be great, with there being areas you may not encounter.

Exuro said:
GoG if you want it DRM free and preloaded. Steam if you want it on Steam with achievements and cloud saving.

And They also give away a free game with the download?? or is that available right away after preordering? As in I pre-order now and can download Gothic 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom