• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

ced

Anybody on the 360 having auto save issues? Last night I forgot to save because I kept seeing the save icon pop up, but when I died there was no auto save from that day, only the day before. I lost a lot of time, make sure you save often.

gdt

For the PC version, anyway to map quicksave to the back button on my 360 pad? I hate that it doesn't autosave after quest updates.

Demon Ice

Banned
PC version here, got on the game today to find that my load game menu is completely empty.

Panicked, checked the save location in Windows, and all my saves are still there. Anyone having this issue? I've tried deleting a bunch of older saves but none of them are showing up in my game.

Truant

Soooo, Texture Memory size at "Large" will yield better performance than "Very Large" with no visual degrade? I have a GTX580.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Started the game. Visuals are of course lovely, as is the refreshing story and setting.

Combat feels objectively awful though, and my first death took me waaay back to the start of a segment. Is this going to be a 'visuals are amazing, story exciting, gameplay and design terribly average' shindig throughout?

Grymm

Banned
Started the game. Visuals are of course lovely, as is the refreshing story and setting.

Combat feels objectively awful though, and my first death took me waaay back to the start of a segment. Is this going to be a 'visuals are amazing, story exciting, gameplay and design terribly average' shindig throughout?

No it's more of a "visuals are amazing, story exciting, gameplay and design far above average, learn to save often" shindig throughout.

Soooo, Texture Memory size at "Large" will yield better performance than "Very Large" with no visual degrade? I have a GTX580.

The texture memory size doesn't effect the look or resolution of textures so you'll still have all the pretties. All it does it change the amount of those textures stored in your vram vs what's streaming from your HD. More memory in your vram cleared up by using a lower texture memory value will give you better performance overall, you just might have slightly more pop in with the lower texture memory. I have 1 gig vram and have used both large and very large. The only difference I can see is I get better framerate overall with large. Even at very large there's still some pop in anyway.

Complistic

the gameplay is great. You're more than likely playing it wrong. Just save a bunch and you won't have that happen. It'll click.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

stop mashing buttons, watch your stamina while you are blocking and cast magic, roll and wait for an opening.

DON'T LET THEM SURROUND YOU

Skilletor

Definitely disagree about the combat. I love it. I didn't even know about parrying and riposte until I went through the tutorial the other night, and now I love the game even more.

Are you on PC? I learned to quicksave all the time. Don't know how saves work on console.

Edit: is there a way to move saves from one user profile on my PC (admin) to another PC profile (guest)?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
xboxen. Its been a while since i had to quicksave my way to victory, but I guess this game is old skool PC world stuff.

Combat just feels janky. I'm sure I'll get the knack of it, but its certainly not intuitive and the game throwing entire manuals of tutorial text at you over and over again is a little exhausting. Gonna take a break and go back to it, but I wish every WRPG had Demon's Souls core combat excellence.

subversus

yeah, tutorial is a must for a new player. There are too much nuances that people must know. I don't know if tutorial explains that you take more damage from behind and stuff like that, I'm yet to play through it.

Truant

Definitely disagree about the combat. I love it. I didn't even know about parrying and riposte until I went through the tutorial the other night, and now I love the game even more.

Are you on PC? I learned to quicksave all the time. Don't know how saves work on console.

Edit: is there a way to move saves from one user profile on my PC (admin) to another PC profile (guest)?

Yeah, just move them into the Guest profile on C:\Users (Documents and Settings if you're on XP). Maintain the same folder structure, and make sure the rights are set properly. They should inherit the rights from the parent folder, but double check them.

despire

Xbox version arrives tomorrow, can't wait!

Just double dipped and bought the old Nordic Edition for PC just to redeem it on GOG.com and get the extras they are offering there :)

Skilletor

Yeah, just move them into the Guest profile on C:\Users (Documents and Settings if you're on XP). Maintain the same folder structure, and make sure the rights are set properly. They should inherit the rights from the parent folder, but double check them.

Thankee-sai. :)

sneaky77

yeah, tutorial is a must for a new player. There are too much nuances that people must know. I don't know if tutorial explains that you take more damage from behind and stuff like that, I'm yet to play through it.

I dont think it does, at least I don't remember it saying anything.

I have a question about the swords.. when to use each?

Also I like the combat is good, but is a little clunky in the controls.

Grymm

Banned
I dont think it does, at least I don't remember it saying anything.

I have a question about the swords.. when to use each?

Also I like the combat is good, but is a little clunky in the controls.

vs Humans use the regular steel swords, vs anything monsteryish use the silver sword.

subversus

Combat just feels janky. I'm sure I'll get the knack of it, but its certainly not intuitive and the game throwing entire manuals of tutorial text at you over and over again is a little exhausting. Gonna take a break and go back to it, but I wish every WRPG had Demon's Souls core combat excellence.

actually it's inspired by Demon's Souls.

treat it as a realtime turn-based game. You should plan your attacks in advance and use very different tactics for each enemy even if they fight in groups. Combat must be slow, if you are trying to do it quickly, you are doing it wrong. Tackle each enemy, don't try to rush them when they are together. Use magic, less blocking, more rolling.

also complete the tutorial if you haven't done it, it's a must.

Teknoman

Do you have to take the tutorial when it asks you at the main menu, or can you take it at any time during the very first part of the game?

Grymm

Banned
Do you have to take the tutorial when it asks you at the main menu, or can you take it at any time during the very first part of the game?

You have to do it at the main menu. It's a really short walk through a small village that gives you a very very basic understanding of some of the controls ie press this button to open your menus, look for things to pickup, use traps, bombs, and spells, and then recommends a difficulty based on your performance in a quick battle.

stop mashing buttons, watch your stamina while you are blocking and cast magic, roll and wait for an opening.

DON'T LET THEM SURROUND YOU

I will also add that using protection spells and traps are very useful. Especially later in the game when being attack by a lot of enemies at once.

It is strange, I was watching my girlfriend play for the first time last night. After completing the opening tutorial and starting the prologue she seemed to forget everything the game was trying to explain to her, such as blocking, rolling, magic use, small weapon use such as daggers and bombs, and consuming potions. Just seemed to fall back on the "mash attack" method. Argh....was very frustrating to watch.

Cheska

Does anyone know at what point the achievement for beating the prologue is supposed to unlock? I fear it may have glitched :(

subversus

It is strange, I was watching my girlfriend play for the first time last night. After completing the opening tutorial and starting the prologue she seemed to forget everything the game was trying to explain to her, such as blocking, rolling, magic use, small weapon use such as daggers and bombs, and consuming potions. Just seemed to fall back on the "mash attack" method. Argh....was very frustrating to watch.

that is how most people tend to play games.

Ceebs

Did they make the prologue way easier or something? Have not touched the game since I finished it when it was first released. It seemed like a cakewalk compared to before. That fight in courtyard just before the solar was hard as hell the first time through, but this go round I only took a single hit.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I was having a hard time with the Gargoyles, seems using Quen and hit&run heavy attacks seems the best way, still rather annoying trying to fight 6 at once in a small area.

Kyaw

Did they make the prologue way easier or something? Have not touched the game since I finished it when it was first released. It seemed like a cakewalk compared to before. That fight in courtyard just before the solar was hard as hell the first time through, but this go round I only took a single hit.

It was easier for me too. Maybe it's just because you know it's crucial to not get hit the first few times around from previous playthroughs.

Autofokus

For the PC version, anyway to map quicksave to the back button on my 360 pad? I hate that it doesn't autosave after quest updates.

I used xpadder, F5 mapped to the back button. Played trough the whole game last year this way without any problems. Just one thing, the new separate tutorial introduced new help pop-ups, which you need to confirm with the back button -- but its the only section in the whole game where you can't remap the back button.

Got my medallion keychain from Gamestop. Very nice. Not sure if I will use, as it is a bit bulky and I'm afraid the finish might wear off. Will think about it.

Anybody else have this issue with the game guide: I have literally used it for like 30mins, only to make sure I don't miss sidequests. I have slightly oily fingers, so I'm used to leaving fingerprints on the covers, especially the black parts. This is the first time I've experience the ink from the guide sticking to my fingers and peeling off the cover. Seriously, it is ridiculous. I have a bunch of fingerprint smudges that can't be cleaned off, and a big white/grey spot where a large patch of ink came off.

Just finished Chapter 1, will jump into chapter 2 soon.
Roche path first

subversus

It was easier for me too. Maybe it's just because you know it's crucial to not get hit the first few times around from previous playthroughs.

they nerfed the prologue in the second patch because PEOPLE WERE COMPLAINING.

Humans are so much easier than monsters. It is pretty funny. Probably has more to do with swarming and backstabbing, to be honest, though. I'm trying to get the hit multiple enemies skill soon so I can control mobs better. Have mostly focused on signs this playthrough.

RS4-

How the hell do you parry? Timing feels weird. Riposte I get, parrying I don't.

Isn't it just a matter of tapping block as you're about to get hit

Thrakier

Two quest spoilers act 1, questions:

The two guys who game me a drink or a "medicine" as part of an experiment...I said yes but I didn't pay attention to the following talk. Don't have a new journal entry. what happend?

The house in the woods across the river, where all the bandits are. I killed them all though I didn't find the key for the house. Where do I get it and what's in the house?

subversus

The house in the woods across the river, where all the bandits are. I killed them all though I didn't find the key for the house. Where do I get it and what's in the house?

you must do
the Troll quest for this one

subversus

How the hell do you parry? Timing feels weird. Riposte I get, parrying I don't.

Isn't it just a matter of tapping block as you're about to get hit

do you have stamina for parrying? You also get some damage while you parry until you upgrade the skill. Also you must fully raise you sword, it isn't instantaneous.

Grymm

Banned

The two guys who game me a drink or a "medicine" as part of an experiment...I said yes but I didn't pay attention to the following talk. Don't have a new journal entry. what happend?

they offered you a reward for taking part in their experiment. You get it later on in the game.

trw

Why is it that when people can't explain why they don't like the controls they call it janky instead of saying they don't like it. It's like people can't understand that there might exist gamesystems that you don't like but others might without them being bad or worse than those you like. You do have a point in the game throwing too much tutorial text at you at a fast pace though, but try to stick with it.

Misterhbk

Just went out and picked this and a slim 360 up before coming in to work. Downloading an update for the Xbox right now. Can't wait to get started on this. I have no clue what I'm getting into as the only thing I know about the game are the screens in the OP. needless to say this looks epic so hopefully the hype in this thread turns out to be true.

Complistic

Just went out and picked this and a slim 360 up before coming in to work. Downloading an update for the Xbox right now. Can't wait to get started on this. I have no clue what I'm getting into as the only thing I know about the game are the screens in the OP. needless to say this looks epic so hopefully the hype in this thread turns out to be true.

Gonna get blow away if you're going in completely blind. Have fun.

So this steam cloud thing is still messing me up. Almost done downloading the gog version. In theory my steam saves should work with the gog version of the game right? The prologue is good but I'd rather not play through it for a third time this week.

Top Bottom