• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 getting full combat rebalance mod with new animations and big changes

Torraz

Even restarting a new game doesn't fix the bugs...

Following the guy in the prison did not work as he just walked to the jail cell.

The mod somehow messes up the "follow" behavior/quests.

Azih

Alright I'm on chapter 1 (decided to skip the mod), and without spoiling anything, how many 'major' paths are there in the game? and how many endings?

Azih

2 Major paths.

The endings are pretty close to each other though.

Huh, a lot like Witcher 1 then. I guess most of the differences in impact are felt within and between chapters then.
Safe to say that Geralt remains a pretty neutral figure always

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Huh, a lot like Witcher 1 then. I guess most of the differences in impact are felt within and between chapters then.

Chapter 2 is completely different depending on a choice made in chapter 1. Chapter 3 is geographically the same, but the quests are very different.

Safe to say that Geralt remains a pretty neutral figure always
Like Sinatar says, the 2 paths are very very different. Quests, locations, and many characters are different.

There are basically 2 sides of the story, and you only see one side of it.

And the endings are a mix of your decisions along the way, sort of Fallout style.

RoKKeR

So sorry to jump in late but:

a) Any videos of the new combat in action?

b) Any tutorials on installing mods for Witcher 2?

The links in the OP are broken for me.

How exactly do you strafe? I thought it was going to be Dark Souls-esque where locking into an enemy meant strafing around them at all times but that's not the case at all from the little I played with this mod on.

big disappointed about this new combat edition. I'm very worried because Flash are working on The Witcher 3. They broken the CS with EE and now they've no idea for recover the good ideas from day1 release.

I can bet that people play the game rolling out and quen, rolling out and quen, won't notice any differences. They played the game with mouse and keyboard without seeing that was impossible to hit with wasd.

Enco

I'm starting the game with this mod.

I know it's a bit buggy but is there anything game breaking? Can I disable it/update it whenever?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
reinstalled the game for the first time since 2011 for this mod (used to have 570 now GTX 680)..but..

damn the game didn't aged well at all, really ugly looking game, I used to think it's pretty but now it's as ugly as Zoltan's butt, my eyes want to die. :(

Moaradin

reinstalled the game for the first time since 2011 for this mod (used to have 570 now GTX 680)..but..

damn the game didn't aged well at all, really ugly looking game, I used to think it's pretty but now it's as ugly as Zoltan's butt, my eyes want to die. :(

Yea, I just started up and it doesn't look like it aged well, specifically the animations. I just can't help but notice geralt's ugly hair and the bad shadows. The game gets a lot prettier once you get to the forest from what I remember, so hopefully that holds up well.

Wallach

How exactly do you strafe? I thought it was going to be Dark Souls-esque where locking into an enemy meant strafing around them at all times but that's not the case at all from the little I played with this mod on.

You can only strafe while walking, not running. Proximity based too. Unfortunately nothing like DS.

Xyber

While there's some stuff that drags down the visuals, like the shadows, foliage pop-in and shitty hair, the game still looks pretty damn good.

SaberVulcan

Well I guess I am playing through a 3rd time, guess I will do the Nightmare difficulty or whatever its called. Love this game, and all of these changes look great.

So sorry to jump in late but:

a) Any videos of the new combat in action?

b) Any tutorials on installing mods for Witcher 2?

The links in the OP are broken for me.

I was gonna make a video showing off stuff but it's hard to show off some of the stuff that was added without actually playing the game yourself to get a feel for it
I could make a video on installing mods but mine is the steam version ad all I did was click the .exe and away it went on its own.

I will update the links in the OP too ;)

teiresias

I'm so over The Last Remnant at this point - love the combat, but the game is dragging too long. So I'm debating whether to do another W3 playthrough with this mod or play Morrowind for the first time. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions. Though it sounds like I should wait for the bugs to worked out of this mod though.

I guess I do need to finish the FFV Fiesta though.

Teleporter

So this mod is worth the try or not? I still need to finish this game and im about to start a new playthrough after finishing The Last of US (think im close... just got to spring time) and i need a new challenging game!

How do I uninstall this mod?

I undid the modules using the "Mods" option, but my old save games still show the new talent tree

Edit: There is an uninstaller. Yay.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Any eta on a patch for the bugs?

Edit: From Flash:

Hey, guys.
I'd like to thank you all for the invaluable feedback I received in recent days. Here's a list of tweaks and fixes that will appear in upcoming update. ETA: this week.

CORE CHANGES
- Allowed Geralt to parry attacks from behind while he's standing still. I don't have animations to allow it for walking and running, which was the reason why it was disabled in initial mod release.

FIXES
- Fixed a bug with crafting schematics by removed whetstones from ingredient lists.
- Fixed wrong installation directory of localization strings.
- Fixed t-pose on throwing items while being in Focused Stance.
- Fixed becoming permanently stuck in casting animation of upgraded Axii Sign.
- Fixed Axii not having effect on enemies.
- Fixed locked rotation on opponent when rolling in strafing mode.
- Fixed fullscreen effect problem that occured when player maxed Adrenaline bar with skills Magic Atunnement, Adrenaline Rush or High.
- Fixed progression break on riposte phase in Tutorial.
- Fixed respec abilities removing core witcher skills.

BALANCE
- Increased damage of enemies in dark difficulty and removed their parry bonus.
- Increased Adrenaline generation from Signs for Signs tree ultimate skill.
- Put another effort to discourage players from immersion-breaking behavior where they constantly rolled behind enemy back to attack with impunity. Removing backstab damage bonus was not enough, so now enemies are allowed to Parry back attacks.
- Increased bosses' resistance to Yrden.
- Upgraded Quen stuns 3 enemies around Geralt.
- Reintroduced 2 second Stamina regeneration cooldown.
- Decreased base Igni damage to 10 and upgraded Igni damage bonus to 10. With Control over the Power skill, Petri's philter and Maribor Forest potions, player is still able to dish 108 Igni damage with 3 Vigor points.
- Increased number of meteorite ore available in shops.
- Increased hit points of celaeno harpies.

VISUALS
- Improved Igni special effect.
- Made enemies rotate to their targets on Aard hit and Parry.

OTHER
- Added more informations in skill descriptions.

Demon Ice

Banned
Is the effect for Igni supposed to be missing right now? Mine just has a little flame appear in Geralt's hands when he casts it and then people a few feet away glow orange and take damage lol.

Also noticed that tapping the block button will cast whatever sign is selected, holding it will do the Quen thing. And then trying to cast Quen the old fashioned way doesn't work, it wears off after a second or so. Unless that's intentional.

RedSwirl

This is starting to feel kind of like when Epic rebalanced some of Gears of War 2's weapons as a sort of alpha for Gears 3.

Moaradin

I do like the improvements but it's very unplayable for me right now because of the bugs. I'll definitely play once it gets sorted out.

Venin

Quick and somewhat off-topic question: Is Dark difficulty harder than Hard difficulty, or are they basically the same in that regard?

Nice to see a response from Flash!

Quick and somewhat off-topic question: Is Dark difficulty harder than Hard difficulty, or are they basically the same in that regard?

Nice to see a response from Flash!
Dark is harder than Hard. Dark is Insane Difficulty without the perma death and plus a few extra craftable weapons. Although crafting those weapons can potentially make it easier than Hard difficulty.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Downloaded. Liking the combat changes so far. Game still looks ludicrously good.

witcher2areog.png

witcher1txstv.png

I have only one bug so far: One of the characters (sorceress, can't remember her name) doesn't have a face. Her hair, neck, body - all there - but no face.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Latest update from Flash:

STILL INVESTIGATING
- Phillipa's missing head.

CORE CHANGES
- Allowed Geralt to parry attacks from behind while he's standing still. I don't have animations to allow it for walking and running, which was the reason why it was disabled in initial mod release.

FIXES
- Fixed wrong installation directory of localization strings.
- Fixed t-pose on throwing items while being in Focused Stance.
- Fixed becoming permanently stuck in casting animation of upgraded Axii Sign.
- Fixed Resonating Crystals not being affected by Aard and Igni in The Secrets of Loc Muinne quest.
- Fixed progression break on riposte phase in Tutorial.
- Fixed Axii not having effect on enemies.
- Fixed locked rotation on opponent when rolling in strafing mode.
- Fixed crafting schematics that didn't recognize their ingredients in crafting menus.
- Fixed fullscreen effect problem that occured when player maxed Adrenaline bar with skills Magic Atunnement, Adrenaline Rush or High.
- Fixed respec abilities removing core witcher skills.
- Fixed description in Falka's blood oil.

BALANCE
- Mage friendly fire doesn't affect Geralt and his allies.
- Increased Geralt's parry chance. First attack coming in quick succession will always be blocked unless Geralt performs an offensive action.
- Scaled down difficulty levels with Hard becoming new Dark difficulty.
- Scaled up damage reduction of armors.
- Decreased mage's block and spell block chance.
- Decreased spell block chance of Letho and elite kingslayers.
- Raised Letho's resistance to Yrden.
- Increased hit points of celaeno harpies.
- Reintroduced 2 second Stamina regeneration cooldown.
- Decreased base Igni damage to 10 and upgraded Igni damage bonus to 10. With Control over the Power skill, Petri's philter and Maribor Forest potions, player is still able to dish 108 Igni damage with 3 Vigor points.
- Increased duration of all potions and oils to 1 hour (was 10 minutes) with the exception of Cat potion, White Raffard Decoction and Anabolic Steroids.
- Changed the function of White Raffard Decoction to a very potent version of Swallow potion. Previously it worked like traditional healing potion known from other games.
- Added Gadwall potion recipy to Geralt's starting inventory. Previously it was only obtainable by unlocking Witcher Secrets skill in Alchemy tree - shouldn't be a requirement for items needed in quests.
- Decreased upgraded Aard stun chance to 10% (was 30%).
- Increased Adrenaline generation from Signs for Signs tree ultimate skill.
- Upgraded Quen stuns 3 enemies around Geralt.
- Increased the number of meteorite ores available in shops.
- Increased the number of rare ingredients available in shops.
- Put another effort to discourage players from immersion-breaking behavior where they constantly rolled behind enemy back to attack with impunity. Removing backstab damage bonus was not enough, so now enemies are allowed to Parry back attacks.

VISUALS
- Improved Igni special effect.
- Made enemies rotate to their targets on Aard hit and Parry.

OTHER
- Added more informations in skill descriptions.

Top Bottom