• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - new incredible screens [Update: Added A Lot More In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

Gully State said:
So I guess no real new info on the game? Not that I'm complaining though since I should be on a media blackout at this point
Not really. Tom played the game and showed us the mkb while doing so so we could get an idea of how it actually works AND he did it without rolling Geralt every 2 seconds. :p But there should be a gameplay dev diary out sometime in the future.

iavi

Desi said:
Seriously though. If this game takes place a year after the first one they should have everyone that choose Shani be greeted with a new pudgy Shani. She let herself go. It would make all the Triss couples that much sweeter.

Wait... Is this how things go in the books?

Salaadin

File size is huge. I doubt us gog buyers will get a pre load either because of the no drm policy. I don't want to spend all of may 17th downloading this :(
I wonder how early they'll put it up.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It has 3D support and it was shown at pax east last week or so? I don't think i've read anything about that, Has anyone?

Minsc

Gold Member
Gully State said:
So I guess no real new info on the game? Not that I'm complaining though since I should be on a media blackout at this point

There's more info on the game here in the unofficial FAQ than you'll ever care to know. I think basically the entire plot is written out along with every mechanic/feature.

It was just checked by a admin/member from RED too, and it was extremely accurate.

Salaadin said:
File size is huge. I doubt us gog buyers will get a pre load either because of the no drm policy. I don't want to spend all of may 17th downloading this :(

GOG + Steam ftw! I need my achievements! :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So do we know for sure that the GOG version will be Steam compatible? That would be perfect for me since I'd like to give a maximum cut to CD Project while having the game tied to my Steam account.

Peff

Snuggler said:
So do we know for sure that the GOG version will be Steam compatible? That would be perfect for me since I'd like to give a maximum cut to CD Project while having the game tied to my Steam account.

I don't think it will, they've never said anything about steamworks as far as I remember and the Steam achievements were announced as part of the Steam package only.

iavi

Peff said:
I don't think it will, they've never said anything about steamworks as far as I remember and the Steam achievements were announced as part of the Steam package only.

Steamcloud saves & Steam achievments, iirc. Which is kind of funny, because Valve has yet to update TW2's store page indicating those.

Salaadin

Minsc said:
GOG + Steam ftw! I need my achievements! :)
If I had the money, I would :(
I'd like to think that cdpr would be smart about it with a game so large. If anything, I guess I can remote desktop at work and start the download if they put it up a little later.

A midnight download would be awesome. Does gog have any kind of system they follow when releasing a "new" release?

Grayman

Salaadin said:
Maybe the game will end up packaged in a way that some of the files are put up early. I will probably end up playing Brink all day and just let the Witcher 2 download overnight if there is no pre load.

Grayman

Salaadin said:
If I had the money, I would :(
I'd like to think that cdpr would be smart about it with a game so large. If anything, I guess I can remote desktop at work and start the download if they put it up a little later.

A midnight download would be awesome. Does gog have any kind of system they follow when releasing a "new" release?
Off the top of my head the biggest games on GOG are only about 2 gigabytes. I think the biggest releases like BG2 and Planescape were surprise ones where no one knew what game was coming that specific day. They have not done a pre order 20 gigabytes scenario before.

Minsc

Gold Member
Grayman said:
Off the top of my head the biggest games on GOG are only about 2 gigabytes. I think the biggest releases like BG2 and Planescape were surprise ones where no one knew what game was coming that specific day. They have not done a pre order 20 gigabytes scenario before.

Let's not get too carried away, the game files are supposed to be around 8GB! Maybe they are compressed even smaller, or maybe the 8GB is the compressed size, but the FAQ says:

We were given such requirements:
----- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or similar AMD
----- Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2 GB for Vista
----- Graphics: Nvidia GF 8800 512 VR or similar AMD
----- Hard Drive: 8GB for game and 8GB bonus content

So the bonus content will be separate most likely for GOG downloads, like it normally is. Still an 8GB download even at 1MB/sec is around 2-3 hours.

Salaadin

Maybe they'll give us 2 downloads then...one of the game and the other for bonus stuff. I'd hate one massive 16gb download.

Minsc

Gold Member
Salaadin said:
Maybe they'll give us 2 downloads then...one of the game and the other for bonus stuff. I'd hate one massive 16gb download.

They'll probably have 5-6 files for the main game and all the bonus content as separate download (200MB soundtrack, 2GB making of videos, 20MB manual, 40MB artbook, etc), if they do it like the rest of their games. They have a few things over 4GB on the site now. There's a .exe setup file that's like 100kb, then they split the installer in to 2GB files, so if it's 8GB there'd be 4 2GB files to download.

Grayman

Minsc said:
Let's not get too carried away, the game files are supposed to be around 8GB! Maybe they are compressed even smaller, or maybe the 8GB is the compressed size, but the FAQ says:

So the bonus content will be separate most likely for GOG downloads, like it normally is. Still an 8GB download even at 1MB/sec is around 2-3 hours.
Ok i read 2 dvd's and figured game data. Maybe they will split out the voice overs and have english/polish as separate files.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Jay Shadow said:
In the books Shani is about as important as a sex trading card.
I'm early enough in Witcher 1 for this to have saved me some trouble.

Grayman said:
Ok i read 2 dvd's and figured game data. Maybe they will split out the voice overs and have english/polish as separate files.
Yup, sounds like they will only offer one language at launch (you choose which one) and then let you download other languages separate like the did with the Enhanced Edition. Means I might not get to play Polish with Eng subs but at least I will have the option at some point.

iavi

bengraven said:
Gotta admit: I liked the sickeningly handsome Geralt from the first W2 screens better.

Same here. Can't please everyone, I guess. Hell, I'm still hoping for the ability to change his hair. I hate that shitty ponytail.

Jay Shadow said:
In the books Shani is about as important as a sex trading card.

Lol. Correct decision in TW1 confirmed.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Shit, I better hear something from Shani. I haven't been putting up with that little turd Alvin for nothing...

Salaadin

Minsc said:
They'll probably have 5-6 files for the main game and all the bonus content as separate download (200MB soundtrack, 2GB making of videos, 20MB manual, 40MB artbook, etc), if they do it like the rest of their games. They have a few things over 4GB on the site now. There's a .exe setup file that's like 100kb, then they split the installer in to 2GB files, so if it's 8GB there'd be 4 2GB files to download.

That makes more sense. Thanks.
I had no idea how GOG handles things. I really should buy more games from them considering that I like The Witcher so much.

Miri said:
Same here. Can't please everyone, I guess. Hell, I'm still hoping for the ability to change his hair. I hate that shitty ponytail.
Could be worse. His hair looked like this in the graphic novels of the 90s:

200px-Komiks_Geralt_okladka.jpg

Yasae

Banned
Salaadin said:
Important to note that some of the bonus items are available now - namely the soundtrack mp3s, wallpapers, avatars, photo tour, and concept art. They offered separate downloads for each.

nib95 said:
Looks fantastic! Can't wait. Hope my GTX 570 can run the game adequately.

Wait, what ? I thought the GTX570 was one of the best card out there ?
I'm starting to think that I should replace my HD4890 if I want to play this game with everything maxed out...

Minsc

Gold Member
LordPhoque said:
Wait, what ? I thought the GTX570 was one of the best card out there ?
I'm starting to think that I should replace my HD4890 if I want to play this game with everything maxed out...

Not to speculate too much, because we don't know, but playing with everything maxed on a 4890 at 30-60fps is probably not happening. There is a quote a while back that having a high end video card should run the game at 30fps maxed out, but who knows what they mean by high end. It's probably not a 4890 though! :(

Salaadin

shinobi602 said:
Good grief those pics look heavenly.

What kind of specs are we talking about here, max everything?

From the unofficial FAQ:
7. What system requirements the game will have? – We were given such requirements:
----- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or similar AMD
----- Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2 GB for Vista
----- Graphics: Nvidia GF 8800 512 VR or similar AMD
----- Hard Drive: 8GB for game and 8GB bonus content
These are minimal as for now (Nov 18th 2010). After optimisation reqs will definetely drop - but we don't know how much.
You should remember that game simply "likes" dual - core CPUs.
### These requirements are quite accurate for now. This is the minimal configuration allowing to play game with no-so-many FPS. It will get better, however don't expect to run in high details and HD in May. ## [.LINK – Polish post 1]

http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=28407.0

Salaadin

shinobi602 said:
Good grief those pics look heavenly.

What kind of specs are we talking about here, max everything?
Posting another response to this.

Someone on The Witcher 2 forums asked in the "Ask the Devs" thread:

buggeer said:
I have a question about notebook graphic card requirements. In the minimal requirements section it says that you'll need at least GeForce 8800 to play. How is this comparable to notebook graphic cards? As of now only a few notebook cards have comparable 3dmark06 scores to 8800. Nowadays a lot of people buys notebooks. Geforce 330M runs Mass Effect 2 on high although it is nowhere near desktop 8800. How will it be with RED Engine?

And the devs responded with:
@buggeer: Official requirements are not out yet so I can't answer this. hint: be sure to read our newsletter in couple days though;)

http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=31346.0
Devs have red names. MM360 has been doing most of the answering but it looks like Keth is joining in now.

But yeah, sounds like we will be getting more details on the specs in a few days. Im guessing Fri-Sat since thats when I got the last newsletter.

Grayman

I finished chapter two and have been playing chapter 3 of the first game the last few days.

Does anyone know is Geralt is going to be more mobile in the sequel? In the opening movie and a scene in game he can move almost like an assasin's creed character. I had figured he would be glued to the ground in the witcher 2 but the opening movie and diving into a ruin under a bank made me wonder tonight.

Salaadin

Not sure about reliability:

Recommended specs:
Processor: Intel Quad Core or AMD equivalent
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 260, 1 GB memory / Radeon HD 4850 with 1 GB memory
Memory: 3 GB for Windows XP / 4 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Hard Disk: At least 16 GB of free space

Minimum specs:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD equivalent
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800, 512 MB memory or ATI equivalent
Memory: 1 GB for Windows XP / 2 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Hard Disk: 8 GB for the game installation and 8 GB for bonus material

http://www.destructoid.com/the-witcher-2-s-system-requirements-are-reasonable-197264.phtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom