• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: THE ASSASSINS OF KINGS debut trailer + screens + O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Remember that The Witcher ran on the modified Aurora Engine with a custom render engine. Aurora Engine sucks balls. Every game made with it has performance and stability issues.

Cep said:
If there ever was a game to buy a new computer for, it would be this game and Diablo 3.

I am tired of playing games at 600 if I want a decent frame-rate, and it seems like it would be an injustice to this game.

Exactly what I did. God damn I can't wait for this game. I just love the first to death and without a doubt one of my favorites in the past 10 years. It will be awesome to finally have it get the technical attention it deserves. Damn Aurora engine!

Minsc

Gold Member
HK-47 said:
Remember that The Witcher ran on the modified Aurora Engine with a custom render engine. Aurora Engine sucks balls. Every game made with it has performance and stability issues.

That said, it made the Aurora Engine look better than I could have imagined. Other than the performance, and occasional disastrous pathfinding when clicking on an enemy, it's really pretty nice. Some of the details you can make out are amazing, in the cities you can see the little details on the castle wall on the other side of town, even when they're just a couple pixels big.

Not to mention many of the character models look 100x better than anything you'd every see commercially out of Bethesda.

Cep

Banned
Minsc said:
That said, it made the Aurora Engine look better than I could have imagined. Other than the performance, and occasional disastrous pathfinding when clicking on an enemy, it's really pretty nice. Some of the details you can make out are amazing, in the cities you can see the little details on the castle wall on the other side of town, even when they're just a couple pixels big.

Not to mention many of the character models look 100x better than anything you'd every see commercially out of Bethesda.

That is because these guys have a little thing called talent.

Minsc said:

I do agree with you there, the game did force the Aurora engine to bare some fruit. For me it never looked bad, it just ran in a very annoying way. Framerate and all that...

Cep said:
If there ever was a game to buy a new computer for, it would be this game and Diablo 3.

I am tired of playing games at 600 if I want a decent frame-rate, and it seems like it would be an injustice to this game.

Agreed. I'll be making sure I have a new one by the time Mafia 2 comes out which I think is around August.

tokkun

Morbid Angel said:

I'd take even that with a grain of salt and place my bets on Fall 2011. CDProjekt seems to be very perfectionist. Remember how long the Enhanced Edition of the Witcher took? Every time someone complains about Geralt's hair, the release date gets pushed back 3 weeks.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
tokkun said:
I'd take even that with a grain of salt and place my bets on Fall 2011. CDProjekt seems to be very perfectionist. Remember how long the Enhanced Edition of the Witcher took? Every time someone complains about Geralt's hair, the release date gets pushed back 3 weeks.

...his ponytail looks stupid.

HK-47 said:
lol @ red for evil and blue for good ME talk.

Gop: Sorry… Yes. I was saying that we played Mass Effect and we have been inspired by some of that stuff, making our own dialogue technologies, but we have not taken it literally. I mean they have choices which are red for evil and blue for good, things do not fit The Witcher in this way…

Shots fired?

koji

So I picked up the books (thx GAF), The Last Wish (awesome) and Blood of Elves (WHERE ARE MY SEQUELS, RAWR) read them when I was on holiday last week and told myself to really pick the game up again, restart and finish it.

Think I started it 5 or 6 times allready but there's always something that gets on my nerves, fast. I really intend to stick with it this time cause I like the universe so much. Game also fits perfectly setting-and-vibe-wise with the books, CDprojekt did a superb job here.

The camera is my biggest gripe atm, just reached
the outskirts of Vizimir
and I turned it off pissed last night, so that's not a good sign... What camera mode do you guys suggest, my preference goes to High Iso but sometimes that freaks completely so now I'm switching between high and low ISO. And also, HERBS, ALL THOSE HERBS, do I really need to pick them up or can I just leave them and come back to an area if I really need to make some potions. I can get pretty obsessive when playing RPGs and those herbs are killing me. :lol

There's just something "wrong" with the entire feel of how your character moves in the gameworld, I feel like the game wants me to play it 1st person but the camera is way too twitchy like that, and I really don't like playing my RPGs like that. There are just so many issues when your character is facing in the wrong direction in combat. Takes forever to turn him, certainly when you press WASD by accident... GRRR

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
^^I played the entire game in over the shoulder mode. I dont like isometric views in general so thats a personal thing I guess.
I dont think you can come back to any area if you want, unless the story takes you there.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure The Witcher is supposed to be played with the OTS camera. The iso view is a bit shitty in this game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
kittoo said:
^^I played the entire game in over the shoulder mode. I dont like isometric views in general so thats a personal thing I guess.
I dont think you can come back to any area if you want, unless the story takes you there.
3rd person camera is the way

koji

Hmm, k guys, thx, guess I'll try the over the shoulder view. Does feel like it was designed for that view indeed. Will just need to get over my issues with it and the lack of click to move "relaxed" gameplay.

Enkidu

I wanted to play the game with the OTS camera, but I just found it completely unplayable. The mouselook felt off and it seemed much harder when you couldn't see everything around you.

Yeah, over-the-shoulder was not very well executed, but I did use it a fair deal while exploring. During combat however, I found it pretty much unusable.

Enkidu said:
I wanted to play the game with the OTS camera, but I just found it completely unplayable. The mouselook felt off and it seemed much harder when you couldn't see everything around you.
This is absolutely true.

Salaadin

A dragon age style zoom in and out using the mouse wheel might work. I didnt have many issues with The Witchers OTS view though so I dont care much either way.

koji

So what we're concluding here seems to be that all camera angles stink and I just have to suck it up. :lol

epmode

koji said:
And also, HERBS, ALL THOSE HERBS, do I really need to pick them up or can I just leave them and come back to an area if I really need to make some potions. I can get pretty obsessive when playing RPGs and those herbs are killing me. :lol
The alchemy system is pretty flexible when it comes to random herbs. Most of the time, you won't need a specific plant, just something that provides the particular element you're looking for.

In other words, don't go out of your way.

And yeah, the camera options aren't great. I stayed in over-the-shoulder for most of the exploration sections and one of the isometric views for combat.

I still love the game, though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Enkidu said:

Mouselook worked perfect for me, same as any FPS really. You can see everything around you easily enough, just turn the view, it's as simple as moving your mouse left or right! You can even pause the game for the 1 or 2 times it's critical to retarget without losing a moment's time.

The clicking combos are actually easier for me in OTS as well, watching for the red glow of the sword is better than watching your cursor change.

epmode

Minsc said:
Mouselook worked perfect for me, same as any FPS really.
I dunno, the speed of the mouselook seems dependent on framerate, unlike most other games. Framerate drops will cause small mouse movements to account for abnormally large viewpoint shifts. Really screwed with the over-the-shoulder view for me.

(or maybe I'm remembering this wrong and it was just the camera sensitivity that was fucked up. I should reinstall)

koji

It's just supersensitive in OTS mode for me, not sure if I can tweak that down a bit, that's probably my main issue with OTS atm. Forced Vsync on and it's running at 60fps locked so fluctuating framerate isn't really an issue here.

Will check next time I play, there might be an option for it.

Minsc

Gold Member
koji said:
It's just supersensitive in OTS mode for me, not sure if I can tweak that down a bit, that's probably my main issue with OTS atm. Forced Vsync on and it's running at 60fps locked so fluctuating framerate isn't really an issue here.

Will check next time I play, there might be an option for it.

Yea, it's sensitive, but if that's not changeable in the options, my mouse can change it in real time, so it's no big deal. My default mouse speed is a little on the slower side I guess, so it ends up making OTS only seem slightly fast, and it's perfect for me like that.

If your mouse has switchable DPI settings, you should have no trouble configuring one of them a little slower to your liking.

koji

Minsc said:
Yea, it's sensitive, but if that's not changeable in the options, my mouse can change it in real time, so it's no big deal. My default mouse speed is a little on the slower side I guess, so it ends up making OTS only seem slightly fast, and it's perfect for me like that.

If your mouse has switchable DPI settings, you should have no trouble configuring one of them a little slower to your liking.

Yeah I was just thinking about something like that, I can lower the dpi/mouse sensitivity and play it like that. Cheers Minsc.

Finally put those mouse profiles to good use. :)

Wthermans

Banned
I have been playing The Witcher in my spare time for about 6 months now. I've got over 60 hours into the game and I'm about to finish Act 3.
I just found the Seeing Stone and took it to Triss/Leuvardeen

OTS Combat isn't much of a problem for me (and I've even turned the camera sensitivity up), but it did take some getting used to. I don't use the movement buttons at all in combat (unless I want to end a sequence and dodge/reposition) and watching for the cursor change is pretty simple. It's a pretty fun game (extremely detailed and lengthy), but the animations drive me crazy. From the "stand completely upright in every conversation" stuff to the stiff running and combat animations. The later sequence attacks are great, but the noncombat stuff is just horrible.

At least it looks like they may try to fix this in the second game. It will suck to rebuild my PC, but I have high expectations for this next game.

Macmanus

Are we going to hear anything about this title at E3? I'm not even through Chapter 2 of the first game, but Jesus Christ is it a great WRPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom