• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 4K Patch for Xbox One X

VeeP

why wait for details? Xbox One X gets update when pro didn't?

Again, we don't know why.

For instance, if Microsoft was willing to pay CDPR for their time and money into updating Witcher 3 for consoles, what's wrong with that? Are you going to blame CDPR for not updating Witcher 3 for a console that came out a YEAR AND HALF after the game launched?

Why aren't you blaming Sony? Shouldn't they be trying to talk to developers & making life easier so more content is upgraded for PS4 Pro?

Again, if this game launched today and had Xbox One X support, and it didn't have PS4 Pro support, I would be angry. That's not right. But this is different. Let's wait for details.

lmbotiva

MS was the marketing partner for the game, they have a long relationship since last gen when they launched witcher 2 on x360, this probably was some sort of clause in the contract.

Hawk269

Pretty fucking diskish of them after having no interest in supporting the ps4 pro.

Makes me lose respect because I'm sure money made it happen.

You are implying that MS is funding the patch and your pissed at CDPR. Why don't you direct that to Sony and ask them to fund a patch for the PRO? You sound like a child, crying that someone has a more toys than you do.

HeelPower

For instance, if Microsoft was willing to pay CDPR for their time and money into updating Witcher 3 for consoles, what's wrong with that? Are you going to blame CDPR for not updating Witcher 3 for a console that came out a YEAR AND HALF after the game launched?

Why aren't you blaming Sony? Shouldn't they be trying to talk to developers & making life easier so more content is upgraded for PS4 Pro?

Again, if this game launched today and had Xbox One X support, and it didn't have PS4 Pro support, I would be angry. That's not right. But this is different. Let's wait for details.

Personally, I blame Sony.

They seem to be way too lax with getting pro support.

Fucking Bloodborne,their own successful exclusive IP, doesn't have pro support.Why should Witcher 3 get pro support ?

clintar

Why would someone care if the reason is because someone else paid for it. They are still left in the cold for an update

Shin

Banned

Fucking Bloodborne,their own successful exclusive IP, doesn't have pro support.Why should Witcher 3 get pro support ?

Interesting point you raise across the board, one can hope more games will be patched.

I just started with my second play through of Withcer III but on the PS4 Pro this time, so are you telling me to stay hopeful of a 4K or even a higher frame rate option patch?

RPGam3r

I just started with my second play through of Withcer III but on the PS4 Pro this time, so are you telling me to stay hopeful of a 4K or even a higher frame rate option patch?

No, they don't have time for you, so much for "delivery the same experience" huh?

Dabanton

Personally, I blame Sony.

They've treated the Pro like an afterthought in many regards. A game is launching and I try to find what pro enhancements it will have and I have to come to the thread on Gaf to find out?

Madness. People theorized that they were scared to piss off OG PS4 owners. if that's the case that's pretty pathetic I didn't buy a pro so Sony gets scared about showing the Pros power difference over the normal PS4.

Not sure why anyone is surprised by this given the CDPR/MS dealings over the past few years. It's like asking why Bethesda didn't bring Fallout Shelter to the PS4. There are certain companies that have historically gravitated towards MS, hell or high water, when it comes to partnership deals.

Jumeira

Banned
[Yes it is unreasonable. We don't even know the extent of the patch and we don't know what each manufacturer was willing to do to help.

Thats irrelevant if a company is funding enhancements for their console, this sense of entitlement is irrational, the creator isnt obligated to do anything, goodwill doesnt pay bills.

KageMaru

Why would someone care if the reason is because someone else paid for it. They are still left in the cold for an update

So they know who to point the finger to. If this update is only possible because MS paid (doubtful) or MS provided support (more likely) while Sony wouldn't, why get mad at CDPR or MS?

Thats irrelevant if a company is funding enhancements for their console, this sense of entitlement is irrational, the company isnt obligated to do anything, goodwill doesnt pay bills.

I'm sorry I read your last post wrong. I thought you were saying it's not unreasonable to be mad at CDPR or MS.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thats irrelevant if a company is funding enhancements for their console, this sense of entitlement is irrational, the creator isnt obligated to do anything, goodwill doesnt pay bills.

You're right, I overreacted. It's just a bummer since this is one of my favorite games of all time and one of the ones I would have loved a Pro patch more than any other. I'll chill out about it and see what happens, we don't even know if it's definitely not coming to the Pro anyway. Could be they were just waiting for both consoles to be out so they could revisit the game at the same time and reduce time/cost investment.

They've treated the Pro like an afterthought in many regards. A game is launching and I try to find what pro enhancements it will have and I have to come to the thread on Gaf to find out?

Madness. People theorized that they were scared to piss off OG PS4 owners. if that's the case that's pretty pathetic I didn't buy a pro so Sony gets scared about showing the Pros power difference over the normal PS4.

Yes yes yes, i am a Pro owner and i feel the same. I really liked Phil Spencer pointing out the benefits for an upgraded Xbox One hardware in the form of Xbox One X and how 1080p tv owners benefit out of it. Sony using a developer conference type event to announce the Pro was such a letdown from a marketing perspective! That being said I have enjoyed the 1440p super sampling of games on 1080p via TitanFall2, Rise of the Tomb Raiders brilliantly implemented multiple visual customizations options! It's still not too late for Sony, they can still better market the Pro from here on out.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
You are implying that MS is funding the patch and your pissed at CDPR. Why don't you direct that to Sony and ask them to fund a patch for the PRO?You sound like a child, crying that someone has a more toys than you do.

Resorting to insults - grow up, dude.

And yeah I'm mad. I'm sorry that offends you.

It seems like MS is being more proactive with approaching developers and pushing for 4K support. I like their new strategy of trying at least to turn the Xbox platform into a truly forwards and backwards looking one. With the addition of adding OG Xbox back pat I will be watching support very closely.

Jsheldon

Sad to think that uhd playback and 4K witcher are that only things exciting me about the new console:/....juSt need to decide whether the excitement is worth the 6 or $700 CDN.

VeeP

Because CDPR doesn't owe anyone anything. They weren't left out in the cold. PS4 Pro launched a year and half after Witcher 3. Witcher 3 received multiple patches to make sure the game ran smooth (I own the PS4 version, it plays better now compared to then), it received a new movement style (Alternative movement is a godsend), as well as other free upgrades (new game+, DLC costumes).

And correct me if I'm wrong, but CDPR told gamers we won't be making a Pro update before the Pro came out. Their reason was literally time and money.

Hawk269

[/b]

Resorting to insults - grow up, dude.

And yeah I'm mad. I'm sorry that offends you.

It is not an insult it is a fact...just look at your reply "And yeah I'm mad" just like a kid does when he is mad that someone else has a toy he wishes he has.

Sorry if that offends you, but being mad because a platform is getting something that you are not is childish. I thought it sucked that Sony PS4 owners got a lot of Destiny content before other platform owners, but I did not go crying on a forum about being mad about it.

I don't want to start a war with you, far from it. I just felt the way you came across was a bit childish. But if I did offend you, I apologize.

Smokey

Yes yes yes, i am a Pro owner and i feel the same. I really liked Phil Spencer pointing out the benefits for an upgraded Xbox One hardware in the form of Xbox One X and how 1080p tv owners benefit out of it. Sony using a developer conference type event to announce the Pro was such a letdown from a marketing perspective! That being said I have enjoyed the 1440p super sampling of games on 1080p via TitanFall2, Rise of the Tomb Raiders brilliantly implemented multiple visual customizations options! It's still not too late for Sony, they can still better market the Pro from here on out.

They don't need to. I don't think they give too much of a shit about PS4P tbh

RPGam3r

Because CDPR doesn't owe anyone anything. They weren't left out in the cold. PS4 Pro launched a year and half after Witcher 3. Witcher 3 received multiple patches to make sure the game ran smooth (I own the PS4 version, it plays better now compared to then), it received a new movement style (Alternative movement is a godsend), as well as other free upgrades (new game+, DLC costumes).

And correct me if I'm wrong, but CDPR told gamers we won't be making a Pro update before the Pro came out. Their reason was literally time and money.

They've also said they're making the same experience on all platforms... except when it comes to the upgraded console platforms apparently. Also this would make me question their "its the same build" verbiage.

Hawk269

They don't need to. I don't think they give too much of a shit about PS4P tbh

I have a pro and I feel more that Sony themselves don't really give a shit. They have been out for a while and Sony has done little to nothing to improve things with devs and support for the PS4 PRO.

They've also said they're making the same experience on all platforms... except when it comes to the upgraded console platforms apparently. Also this would make me question their "its the same build" verbiage.

It is the same experience across every platform. It's just that MS is paying them money to enhance it for their new console, it's like Sony paying Activision for all those Destiny DLCs. If you want to point the finger at someone, point it at SOny. If I was a business owner I would never hire you to run my business because it seems you would turn down money just for the sake of pride.

RPGam3r

It is the same experience across every platform. It's just that MS is paying them money to enhance it for their new console, it's like Sony paying Activision for all those Destiny DLCs. If you want to point the finger at someone, point it at SOny. If I was a business owner I would never hire you to run my business because it seems you would turn down money just for the sake of pride.

I'm not pointing the finger at Sony for a game that the devs said they're providing the same experience. They are not. There are two machines that can run their game better, and they are only updating for one of them. Not the same experience, period.

I didn't ask to run your business. Maybe the devs should stick by their words? Or is CDPR in that can't do anything wrong category?

I'm not exactly sure what goes on in a "4K patch" for a game like Witcher 3, but CDPR has improved the game on all platforms in a plethora of ways already. Maybe adding in a 4K update takes a lot more resources for them to do? Just upping the resolution in-game for the respective hardware can't be the only thing that's done, right? If MS was willing to pay CDPR for their time and effort to update for Xbox One X, then I don't see the problem with that. They're probably already super busy with Cyberpunk 2077, any way.

NotUS

The way I see it, the Xbox One X patch is a resolution bump, likely minimal effort to implement, whilst the PS4 Pro patch requires a new rendering technique, checkerboard rendering to get to 4K.

If the game already supports dynamic rendering on consoles, it may by default scale to 4k without any optimizations.

Having said all that, they should do a PS4 Pro Patch, its a game that deserves to be played in that quality.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why are so many users convinced they won't be updating the PS4 version for Pro support if they're going to put out an update for the XB1 version ?

We literally have no concrete information on this right now, take a chill pill people.

Madness

Console exclusive patches would be a new low IMO

Newsflash. There already are console exclusive patches. Ever notice how a patch for a PS4 is different than one for Xbox One? Because they are different consoles with different requirements. Besides, we don't even know what kind of patch it is. Whether it is outsourced to a third dev, whether MS had to shell out cash to make it happen, or even if CDPR decided to do a patch and will also port one over for PS4 Pro. Chill with the 'new lows' until there is actual information.

KageMaru

The way I see it, the Xbox One X patch is a resolution bump, likely minimal effort to implement, whilst the PS4 Pro patch requires a new rendering technique, checkerboard rendering to get to 4K.

If the game already supports dynamic rendering on consoles, it may by default scale to 4k without any optimizations.

Having said all that, they should do a PS4 Pro Patch, its a game that deserves to be played in that quality.

It should not necessarily be a lot more work for the Pro unless they try to add checkerboard rendering or something like that. If they bump X resolution to 1800p, they should be able to bump the resolution on Pro as well.

Paying for better patches sets a very dangerous precedent. Even more developers may be inclined to opt out of supporting high-end consoles and hope for a paying option.

Top Bottom