• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 4K Patch for Xbox One X

You've just contradicted yourself.

GPU = resolution
CPU = framerate

Turn the res up or down as much as you like, the CPU isn't strong enough to hit 60fps for a 30fps game.

Lol.
So why can i do 30, 60, 120 and 240 fps with the same CPU by changing graphic options?

Those crappy Jaguar CPUs in the Xbox One and Ps4 are enough to run basically every game at 120hz, if the developer would want that...

Micerider

Lol.
So why can i do 30, 60, 120 and 240 fps with the same CPU by changing graphic options?

Those crappy Jaguar CPUs in the Xbox One and Ps4 are enough to run basically every game at 120hz, if the developer would want that...

You can because the CPU is not the limit. If CPU is limiting factor, changing resolution won't help much. It really depends on the game. 120hz with a game lije witcher 3 on Jaguar is daydreaming. There are already much beefier CPUs on PC that can't do it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Wouldn't it be expected that CDPR who would be balls deep in Cyberpunk would need to be paid to patch a two and a half year old game?

Sony will need to pony up too if they want a Pro patch.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I still hunger for a PC patch that boosts the engine to properly support some of the ini tweaks that really improve the overall presentation without technical issues. Specifically the grass render distance tweak, which I can no longer push beyond standard without hitching.

Won't come, but I can dream.

Hopefully the Pro patch is released soon. Great news if true!

I wonder if they'll go 1440p or use checker board to get to 1800p.

It would be better to increase graphical fidelity. The Witcher 3 on consoles didn't look that great. They can offer both modes: higher resolution and increased fidelity like in ROTTR.

Cc23830

have put off playing this for so long I think ill order it so I can jump straight in when my Scorpio arrives. Been putting it off for so long anyways

Really hope this sees the start of a trend with a few more older titles getting Pro patches.

With 2 such similar mid gen refresh consoles on the market, the economy of scale should hopefully kick in to make these upgrades financially viable.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Its coming soon. The patch we have all been waiting for!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

I still hunger for a PC patch that boosts the engine to properly support some of the ini tweaks that really improve the overall presentation without technical issues. Specifically the grass render distance tweak, which I can no longer push beyond standard without hitching.

Have you ever tried TW3 on RAM disk? :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Have you ever tried TW3 on RAM disk? :D

I know not of what a RAM disk is. Would it help?

My hardware is excellent, but yeah. I always figured it was a CPU load issue.

Really looking forward to hearing the details. Native 4K or checkerboard with better AA and perhaps even extras? Speaking about X here, don't have a PS4.

KageMaru

Any chance of a performance mode? Runs like shit on my PS4P currently

The pro patch should clean up any remaining performance issues right?

I thought most, if not all of the performance issues have been ironed out in later patches. It should run smooth with boost mode at least.

Any chance we can get HDR for just the regular PS4/X1?

Man I really hope we get HDR support. I'd rather have it run at 1440p with HDR than a higher resolution and without HDR.

Sarek

According to DF test W3 is almost locked 30 fps even with non-Pro PS4 these days. So if you are having performance issues with Pro you should probably figure out what is wrong your console.

If we talk of dreams and grass in W3, I dream of them making an update to the vegetation of the base game to reach the quality of B&W.

I know not of what a RAM disk is. Would it help?

My hardware is excellent, but yeah. I always figured it was a CPU load issue.

A RAM disk is a virtual hard disk done with ram. You assign for example 10gb of your ram to it, and windows would believe you have a new extra hdd of 10gb. The advantage is that ram is still much more faster than SSDs.
If you have big amounts of ram and the game is small, you can load up the entire game on it. Otherwise, you can put a critical data file on it, and use a symlink to make Windows believe it's still on c:\games\whatever.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Isnt the game basically locked 30FPS on pro using boost mode? I know that’s what the videos showed back when people were testing benefits of boost mode, and it looked to be that way from my limited testing too.

Planet

Isnt the game basically locked 30FPS on pro using boost mode?
It runs almost exactly like that on base PS4, that was the verdict of DF on that boost mode test. After all those patches, they managed to squeeze a quite stable 30 FPS out of the PS4 Amateur.

Anyone know if this patch is just visual or if it'll include any additions or changes to gameplay? I'm still holding out hope they'll do something to address the combat.

thelastword

Banned
Wouldn't it be expected that CDPR who would be balls deep in Cyberpunk would need to be paid to patch a two and a half year old game?

Sony will need to pony up too if they want a Pro patch.
Why would they, MS can pay, but I doubt Sony would be inclined to...Witcher 3 sold the most on PS4, they praised consoles for the most success they ever got, there's no way Sony is paying these guys for a patch....

If they want the good graces for gamers, especially the most installed console, they will patch it. If they only patch XBONEX, they are just looking for bad press and a backlash....I think if anything theses guys wanted to patch both mid gen consoles at the same time, perhaps the same with ID software on DOOM.

Anyone know if this patch is just visual or if it'll include any additions or changes to gameplay? I'm still holding out hope they'll do something to address the combat.

I highly doubt that if you don't like the combat in The Witcher 3 then a patch for PS4Pro and XBoxOneX years after the initial game isn't going to change it. I don't remember the combat being bad? I guess it's a perspective thing. I accept every game I play as it's own thing. I don't compare it to any other game other than it's own previous ones. The combat they put in is the combat they wanted to put in - so again I suspect zero change to it this far along.

Top Bottom