• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 controls like shit

Diablos

It's okay overall but I'd argue not quite as tight when compared to other games of the same type.

I really hated investigating though (at times). Just not as responsive as it needed to be, you thought you were examining something and nope you weren't.

thelastword

Banned
It's probably the worst part of the game, but even then I wouldn't call it shit.

A lot of people don't talk about the controls because pretty much everything else in the game is so overwhelmingly superb. It's easy to look past. It set the bar for open world RPG's and then set it again with its DLC.
No, it did not..You don't set the bar for openworld RPG's with such poor combat, animations and controls....Do you really believe Witcher 3 has the best open world? That's up for debate as well.....I hope you're just not referring to size......The number of things you can do or the number of ways you can traverse the world or the variety with which you can approach combat in a openworld game is much more important.

Visually there is no contest. Witcher 3 is alongside GTAV probably the most elaborate ''open world'' in the industry. I have never made a secret about that fact on this forum.

In terms of everything else, both Ass Creed and Witcher 3 is very contained. Ass Creed has at least some free parcours, tower climbing and stealth to reiterate it's ''openworldness''. It's combat is straight forward and could be not more open world than any other simple action game. The sea battles in Ass4 was decent, but pretty simple, boring and repitative after awhile.

Witcher 3 combat is a bit more elaborate than Ass Creed. There are some cool bosses that use the air and ground. But that combat could have easily worked in a straight forward 3d action game, like God of War, Darksiders or whatever. Half assed horse riding and boat riding/combat is fuckking whack. Never felt so restricted (anti open world) ever in a videogame during those mechanics, since the 8bit era.

Uncharted 4 has open area stealth, terrain dynamic, multiple paths to tackle, vertical climbing, rope takedowns/traversing, vehicle action, underwater stealth with some decent physics and collision, all combined in a nice little 'free flowing' sandbox style gameplay.

''True'' open world game in MY definition:

-GTA, Just Cause, Far Cry, Crysis. MGSV.
Eh, this poster gets it...

conman

Describing a game's "controls" is as subjective as describing a game's "graphics." And after a couple hundred hours in the world of The Witcher 3, I don't see much to complain about. It is what it is.

Honestly, the controls in TW3 feel no different than in every other big third-person action game to me (Uncharted, Dark Souls, Grand Theft Auto, Bloodborne, etc.). They're all a bit squishy and sluggish. What makes those games good is how and why you do the things you do (their mechanics), not how they feel (their "controls").

Top Bottom