• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Gwent |OT| The original cardgame from Ancient Poland

Just started playing this on my second time around and I have to ask is it possible to play with a deck with less than 22 cards? I feel I loose half the time because I can't draw the cards I need and I have quite a few spies.
The deck minimum card requirement is there to introduce an element of chance. The game would get dull if you drew the same cards every single game... But yeah, winning at the tournament relies very heavily on drawing your spy cards if you're playing Nilfgaard or Northern Realms.

Oynox

PC Gamer did an interesting interview on the making of Gwent. They did a lot for it in their free time since CDP did not budgeted a lot of money for a mini game implementation.
The making of Gwent
Later this year, CD Projekt RED will release The Witcher 3’s second and final expansion, Blood and Wine. Will Gwent return with it? “To tell you the truth, Jason, Rafał and I never expected the game to be so popular,” admits Monnier. “Since our next expansion is the last one, we really want to end with a bang. You’ll have to wait and see.”

I still wish they would do a real version of the game, or even a smartphone game.

God I'd love to have those special gwent decks that they made for CEs.

Or my hope is that somehow they figure out how to publish the actual decks and card sets as real cards. That would be the dream, as on my second playthrough of the game can be described as looking for Ciri and it all gwent wrong.

Seriously, I've been playing and winning so much damn gwent it's crazy because I had tons of trouble my first time through. Nowadays the only thing that fucks up my siege deck is rainy day cards or whatever they are called.

sublimit

Banned
God I'd love to have those special gwent decks that they made for CEs.

Or my hope is that somehow they figure out how to publish the actual decks and card sets as real cards. That would be the dream, as on my second playthrough of the game can be described as looking for Ciri and it all gwent wrong.

Seriously, I've been playing and winning so much damn gwent it's crazy because I had tons of trouble my first time through. Nowadays the only thing that fucks up my siege deck is rainy day cards or whatever they are called.

Having the Foltest card that clears weather is a must.It's pretty much the best leader card for Northern Realms IMO.

But the sheer fact that you can double your power instantly on siege row with a siege based deck with a few Commander's horns thrown in along with infantry that double when placed with like cards, followed by a few spy cards, 5 hero cards. I can't count how many times this strategy has saved my ass, almost every single one of my hands has a commander's horn alongside Siegemaster Foltest's ability.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really want a Gwent app. I need to play. I need it.

But the sheer fact that you can double your power instantly on siege row with a siege based deck with a few Commander's horns thrown in along with infantry that double when placed with like cards, followed by a few spy cards, 5 hero cards. I can't count how many times this strategy has saved my ass, almost every single one of my hands has a commander's horn alongside Siegemaster Foltest's ability.
You get the same ability with a commander's horn card, but the card gives you the flexibility of using it on any row, and with a full NR deck your melee and ranged rows will generally be your highest scoring ones anyway. Also since you can have multiple horns in play, there's no downside to having a few in your deck to increase draw chances, and they're useful every time they're drawn.

On the weather front, if you were to take multiple clear weather cards instead of the Foltest ability, then they can't be stacked in a single round, and they aren't useful every time they're drawn (or even most times they're drawn).

Those are the reasons why I always go with Foltest's clear weather ability, and I take no weather cards whatsoever (even against Monster decks).

Those are the reasons why I always go with Foltest's clear weather ability, and I take no weather cards whatsoever (even against Monster decks).
Mmmm, I think facing a monster deck without at least a biting frost card is a good recepee for loosing. They have that 'instantly play every same name card in the deck' on melee cards that is barely unbeatable otherwise.

Mmmm, I think facing a monster deck without at least a biting frost card is a good recepee for loosing. They have that 'instantly play every same name card in the deck' on melee cards that is barely unbeatable otherwise.
NR definitely don't need it. You need to remember that muster cards are 'one and done'. The idea is to draw them out in the first round, which you deliberately lose while playing as many spy cards as you can. In the later rounds, if they still have any musters left then you hit them with the siege row healing card in conjunction with a decoy and Villentrentenerth (?). The first play of Villentrentenerth (?) only hits the single outlier, but the second causes devastation.

Play your deck however you like though, I'm just letting you know that having no weather cards is definitely a viable option that you have available to you (and the one I personally recommend).

Here's something equally as controversial: I generally don't even take a scorch card outside of Villentrentenerth. With my NR deck the highest face value cards on the table are almost always my own :)

ghibli99

After 25~30 hours of playing TW3, Gwent finally clicked for me (against the Baron). Now I'm totally hooked, and my story progress has come to a complete standstill. LOL This is probably the first card minigame I've gotten addicted to, and I love how nicely integrated it is into the world. Card descriptions are also hilarious. Love it!

Leezard

I got my Gwent cards today!

N8qhVbu.jpg

UdFWwCY.jpg

855MlYq.jpg

The Blood & Wine set (Nilfgaard, Northen Realms) include new cards from the expansion, but the Hearts of Stone one does not. Cards are looking quite good at least.

Damn, when did you guys order? When I ordered, the page said ship date of "Late June" (or something like that) but my order page still says TBD.

frontovik

Banned
If anyone's interested, I have the original Northern Realms/Nilfgaard decks that I purchased separately during the launch of Witcher 3 last year.

The plastic wrap for the packaging has been removed, but the cards are in mint condition. PM if you need further info.

Card Boy

Banned
I really want to crack open the GWENT cards i got but i saw how much they are going for on eBay.

This is Final Fantasy Triple Triad/Tetra Master all over again.

Top Bottom