• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 has exceeded 1.5 million pre-orders

But will ActiVision, EA, and Ubisoft get the memo? Or will they continue with their embargos until release day. Time will tell.

All they'll learn is "open world games sell" and will continue to make huge big budget open world games full of pointless filler and nonsense

MarionCB

This is great news. It's good when the industry gets pushed in the right direction. This shows:

High quality game on top of a track record of high quality games = high sales & success
Pure single-player game = high sales & success
Releasing DRM-free & being customer-friendly = high sales & success (You only need "protection" when you're planning to screw your customers).
No release day embargo = high sales & success

There are only two negatives: They regionally-priced it, which is a practice I don't like, and it's much more expensive in Australia than it should be, and also it shows yet again the success of pre-orders. However, I think pre-ordering is a battle that was lost long ago (because so many people want to do it), and there is a good sign here too - no pre-order exclusive content was needed, just a discount. It's fine by me if they want to reward customers who show faith in them; it's the pre-order DLC that annoys me (I can avoid the palming off of bad games as I don't pre-order personally).

I'll pick up my physical copy once the first batch with the missing file has sold through but overall I'm really happy with this news!

SlickVic

I'm pretty ok with that. The game actually had a meaningful preorder "bonus" in the form of an actual discount of 20% off the price to show some appreciation to loyal fans (and even those who bought both games for a combined $5 on a whim during a Steam sale).
Then there were reviews out a week before release. And whether intentional or not, quite a few non-media types also streaming the game during the past week to also show off the game "in the wild".
While there could still be issues with the game, CDP has done enough by me to show why I can feel comfortable preordering a game in a series I already enjoy.

Majmun

Very impressive. The Ps4 version seems to be quite popular on Amazon,

It currently sits at #4(regular edition), #6((Comic Bundle} and #7(digital edition)
The first X1 version sits at #11(regular edition)

Majmun

That's quite impressive. X1 version sits in #55 on that list.

I wonder what the sales split between Ps4/X1/PC will be...

Boke1879

You mean like Watch Dogs shipping 8 million copies?

Very much so. Honestly I'd love for this to force pubs to spread out releases more instead of cramming everything into the last 3 months of the year.

Starting september this year we have a plethora of games coming out. MGSV, Mad Max, Halo, AC: Syndicate, COD, Battlefront and god knows what else lol

Matriox

Very much so. Honestly I'd love for this to force pubs to spread out releases more instead of cramming everything into the last 3 months of the year.

Starting september this year we have a plethora of games coming out. MGSV, Mad Max, Halo, AC: Syndicate, COD, Battlefront and god knows what else lol

Fat chance. They gotta get those holiday sales.

I realize this was in response to your previous comment, but that doesn't change their mentality. It totally needs to happen though. The summer after xb1/ps4 dropped was baron as hell and anything AAA would have been a hit.

Top Bottom