• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 has exceeded 1.5 million pre-orders

Kinthalis

Banned
I just realized, this is doing almost as well in early sales numbers to a Battlefield game releasing on more platforms. Wow

Something like 5 million combined between the two. These numbers are crazy for Witcher 3

More than that I believe. Over 5 million is just steam. Witcher 1 came out before Steam was a big thing at all, and both games were available on other digital platforms. I believe it's closer to over 6 million.

LPride

Banned
Congrats to CDPR for scamming 1.5 million people.

I really want Witcher 3 to be good but I've got no way of knowing for sure. I cant believe how easily people throw thier money away on pre-orders and hype alone. Its depressing, proves all you need for a million seller is a good marketing team (WATCH_DOGS)

noshten

the_witcher_2_what_is_love_by_trueprince-d46lad3.gif

I really want Witcher 3 to be good but I've got no way of knowing for sure. I cant believe how easily people throw thier money away on pre-orders and hype alone. Its depressing, proves all you need for a million seller is a good marketing team (WATCH_DOGS)

Scamming? Maybe people pre-ordered the game like me 2 years ago in the hope of showing support to a developer who hasn't let them down yet?

Sijil

Doesn't scam imply malicious intent? The amount of work put into this game coupled with the reviews that came a week before release proves they're being honest here.

I mean the reviews are already out there, there's literally no difference between pre ordering or waiting for day 1 reviews right now and many have broken the street date with LP's online.

For all intents and purposes, on consoles at least, the game has been out for 5 days.

3 million Steam alone, I would reckon an additional million on GOG.

There is also the 360 version of TW2

Bitch please, they gave review copies out over a week early.

Camwi

You're taking pessimism to an all-time low if you think The Witcher 3 is going to suck.

Oh, The Witcher has a much, much better quality pedigree than UbiSoft. And, a lot of these preorders came after all the rave reviews.

npa189

This is what happens when your embargo lifts a week ahead of release, giveaways with graphics cards, and just make a kick ass game. Every sale is well deserved because CDPR is one of the best devs in recent years and they respect their customers.

GOTY 2015 right here folks, calling it.

Interfectum

Derrick alt account?

Ushay

Well they got my money. Great games deserve success, developers like CDP that have a good relationship with the player is how the publishers should be, a gold standard of sorts.

Einbroch

Banned

Normally, I'd agree that preorders are pointless and a scam. But this game has been out for reviews, been streamed by Twitch for days, and has been played by YouTubers.

I mean, what more do you need? Do you need to scour thousands of users on message boards? If you do, that's fine, but that's not neccessary. This isn't an online game with potential server issues. This is a single player game that has thousands of hours of content, including un-edited Let's Plays, available out there for you to make your own decision.

CDPR has proven themselves by the previous two Witcher games. This isn't some no-name, unheard of studio. This is CD Projekt RED presenting the exciting final chapter of Geralt's three-game journey, which has been almost a decade in the making.

Pre-orders are not what's wrong with the industry, as that's what sustains it. The problem is bad marketing practices - misleading or hiding a game before release to ensure sales. And no, nothing was hidden for the Witcher 3; we know what it will look and play like, and reviews have been plentiful. In short, embargos are the root issue.

kcp12304

Banned
I thought people were canceling pre-orders though?

All these people posting countless amazing looking screenshots, gifs, and videos in various threads just to look for every blemish probably sold more copies of the game. They did better marketing than CDPR ever could by creating controversy.

jacobeid

Banned
Normally, I'd agree that preorders are pointless and a scam. But this game has been out for reviews, been streamed by Twitch for days, and has been played by YouTubers.

I mean, what more do you need? Do you need to scour thousands of users on message boards? If you do, that's fine, but that's not neccessary. This isn't an online game with potential server issues. This is a single player game that has thousands of hours of content, including un-edited Let's Plays, available out there for you to make your own decision.

It's not even worth it. Those types of people will never, ever be satisfied.

OCD Guy

I have got caught up in the hype (like many) and pre-ordered digitally. The moment of truth in about 5 hours, I just hope I'm not disappointed...

Joey Ravn

Banned
When the game gets reviewed 1 week from release, I think pre-ordering the game is perfectly okay.

I still think people should hold off and not pre-order. Personally, I'm waiting for PC performance from "real" players, i.e. not tested in a controlled environment. I'm not saying this is the case, but it wouldn't be the first time that I get a game that was reviewed very favorably by most major outlets only to have it perform really bad on PC.

That, and I still have to beat the second game.

NateDog

Insane to see this happening for CD Projekt Red, especially considering the size of their team just a few years ago. So incredibly happy for them.

bombshell

I still think people should hold off and not pre-order. Personally, I'm waiting for PC performance from "real" players, i.e. not tested in a controlled environment. I'm not saying this is the case, but it wouldn't be the first time that I get a game that was reviewed very favorably by most major outlets only to have it perform really bad on PC.

That, and I still have to beat the second game.

Are the controlled environment worries not mostly for multiplayer titles where they are playing over LAN at press events? This is a singleplayer game.

Tyothe

Neo Member
I was introduced to the series from the 360 W2 port, and I have preordered the X1 version(w/ Season pass). They honestly deserve all the attention and money, and I'm ready to play the game at 12:01!

erawsd

There are always several double standards demonstrated when it comes to favored series and developers.

Or... GAF is not a hive mind and everyone doesn't feel the same way. Personally, I've never been one to toe the "don't preorder" line because I just don't care how grown ass people choose to spend their money on videogames.

Catdaddy

Well, since the review embargo lifted and reviews were good and there are plenty of outlets that are showing/streaming gameplay was enough to sell me. So I'm one of the 500k that pre-ordered in the last week....not sure what else you need to buy a game. Wait 2 months only to get the same information?

More like 25/20/50

series has always been a PC darling

I dont think so, PC having 2x PS4 preorders from 1.5million are not possible considering marketing around the game was consoles mostly this time and even though it was PC only game before(Except TW2) but consoles have bigger impact on day 1 sales than PC due to its bigger retail market and users who are willing to pay $60 than PC users on day1.

For reference this is coming from a company that is based in Poland and started as a translation studio for Baldur's Gate 1.

Incredible growth.

witness

Awesome, those great reviews were a big part of that. I got one of my buddies to preorder it after I to him about its raving reviews. Can't wait to get it tomorrow.

Top Bottom