• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 has exceeded 1.5 million pre-orders

Toki767

I tried to pre-order the game at Best Buy during the weekend but the site doesn't even let you anymore.

Sounds like good news for the game.

Congrats to CDPR for scamming 1.5 million people.

I really want Witcher 3 to be good but I've got no way of knowing for sure. I cant believe how easily people throw thier money away on pre-orders and hype alone. Its dehpressing, proves all you need for a million seller is a good marketing team (WATCH_DOGS)

It not a scam if people are able to see and play the product themselves. Reviews were out a week prior to release, and people have streamed the game for quite a few hours these last couple days. Also, those great reviews don't hurt the public opinion.

Also, the bolded is more easily explained by the great track record of CD Projekt Red and they're open and informative development diaries/blog posts, not just PR (which has been pretty crap recently tbh).

Koh

I'm glad there are people it there willing to buy at launch price. Keep everyone afloat so that i can enjoy my game at 50%+ off in a few months.

This is sincere though it could easily be read as snide. Not sure how to fix that.

OmegaDL50

For reference this is coming from a company that is based in Poland and started as a translation studio for Baldur's Gate 1.

Incredible growth.

Well The Witcher 1 had like a team of roughly 25 to 30 people.

Compared to Witcher 3 which has over 200 people involved.

CDProjektRed have came into their own. It really IS incredible growth.

Aces&Eights

President Obama is ready!
tW1evVQ.png

Holy shit! Lol

I really want Witcher 3 to be good but I've got no way of knowing for sure. I cant believe how easily people throw thier money away on pre-orders and hype alone. Its depressing, proves all you need for a million seller is a good marketing team (WATCH_DOGS)

I am not sure you know what the word scamming means.

I really want Witcher 3 to be good but I've got no way of knowing for sure. I cant believe how easily people throw thier money away on pre-orders and hype alone. Its depressing, proves all you need for a million seller is a good marketing team (WATCH_DOGS)

There is no scam. There have been a number of videos, this is the third game in the series... there have been reviews, people know they types of games this company makes.

Ok I understand if you have limited funds and want to be sure you are spending your cash wisely, but I think there is enough for people to make their own mind up... or do you need someone to bring a copy around to your house, let you play it for a few hours so you can decide. Really would love to know what else you think people need to know about the game before they buy. If you don't want to risk it, no worries, not a problem, but don't call them scammers for making a massive open world game that from whats been said, has over 100 hours of content, and lots of free DLC.

PS - also some people liked watch dogs.

But will ActiVision, EA, and Ubisoft get the memo? Or will they continue with their embargos until release day. Time will tell.

Ubisoft has allowed embargoes to end early before. Far Cry 3 comes to mind. It just depends on the game, specifically how much confidence they have in it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I hope publishers like EA and Ubisoft will notice that a game can sell well without having to piss people off with DRM, online features in single player, and delayed PC releases. Good job, CDPR.

Gamezone

Gold Member

So the reviews are lying?

skelekey

Funny they say this. I was hyped for this game but I was still willing to wait for a price drop in my current financial situation. Then I saw the somewhat unanimous praise and decided "aw fuck it" and pre ordered.

Tried preordering today through best buy for the $10 certificate, but it's bugged online. I'll probably just wait a few months now.

Yes, a few months. I'm a cheap ass.

Syrus

Banned
I think they need to be praised for 10% cheaper for digital orders. I wish more Devs did this. IMO it should be 50$ digital but ill take 54 over 60

Pezus

Reviews have been out for a while now and there have been multiple gameplay vids. What more do you need?

Lothars

I have lost any respect I had for CDPR and refuse to buy Witcher 3 until it drops heavily in price.

Their tactics against GMG really soured me on them and on the witcher 3. I don't want Witcher 3 to fail but I think how they acted deserves less sales because of it.

I think they need to be praised for 10% cheaper for digital orders. I wish more Devs did this. IMO it should be 50$ digital but ill take 54 over 60
This would line up perfectly with PlayStation money card values. $50 digital games please, Sony?

boskee

I have lost any respect I had for CDPR and refuse to buy Witcher 3 until it drops heavily in price.

Their tactics against GMG really soured me on them and on the witcher 3. I don't want Witcher 3 to fail but I think how they acted deserves less sales because of it.

I guess that this one lost sale from a person who ignores the shady business practice of GMG and assumes that CDPR is wrong without knowing all the details will truly hurt and affect them.

Gamezone

Gold Member

And telling people they are scammed is not a nice way to start out on Neogaf.

flux1

Reviews and marketing didn't get me to pre-order. Liking previous games in the series and getting a good deal on the game did.

People nit-picking screenshots and Polygon's complaints got me to pre-order the season pass. (Provided the game runs well on my PC, which I will find out later today.)

I wonder how high the consoles version are, doubting combined even they are a million considering how slanted this series is to PC.

Meia

I tried to pre-order the game at Best Buy during the weekend but the site doesn't even let you anymore.

Sounds like good news for the game.

Says you. I just pre-ordered it to have it shipped. GC means I got it for $47, then get the $10 gift card later. :p

Of course only did free shipping so getting it NEXT thursday, but on the bright side I don't have to rush to finish the Witcher 2 now. :D

Toki767

Says you. I just pre-ordered it to have it shipped. GC means I got it for $47, then get the $10 gift card later. :p

Of course only did free shipping so getting it NEXT thursday, but on the bright side I don't have to rush to finish the Witcher 2 now. :D

Oh I was trying to do it for in store pickup. I figure I can still technically order tomorrow and still get the gift card though.

I was in this wave, the "cautiously interested/post-reviews/week before launch/preload available soon" wave.

I haven't even been following this game closely (nor played the previous ones) but it sounds like my kind of RPG.

WinterX

Banned
Pre-ordered last week.

It gets the highest scores from next-gen games for PS4. Hope it'll be worth it, we'll see tomorrow.

I wonder how high the consoles version are, doubting combined even they are a million considering how slanted this series is to PC.

I would guess at least over 500-750k console sales WW, I would consider this one of the bigger games this year and though it has had a strong PC following in the past, wouldn't surprise me strong first week on consoles.

Be interesting to see the console split and vs PC sales though.

Servbot24

Banned
Awesome!

I had to cancel mine because I am trying to force myself to clear some backlog before spending more money. But I'm looking forward to playing.

Great news for them – have they broken even now?

It's the first game i'm considering buying at full price; I love their pro-consumer – relative to other publishers and developers – stance.

Top Bottom