• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - New screenshots

Denton

Companies typically refuse to even just acknowledge rumors.
You know, the standard "We don't comment on rumors and speculations".

This is true, but they could at least address the quality of screens and their origin. Simple "these are from unfinished location/build/console" would be fine.
Marcin Iwinski also addressed the Xbone CE blow up, eventhough they could have let it fade out.

I don't see why they wouldn't address this. Unless the GAF bubble is blowing this waaaay out of proportion. Are we the only ones discussing this or is it more widespread than that?

There is a topic on official forums about screens and this GAF insider, 20 pages so far. Reddit was talking about it too. That's what I saw.

UrbanRats

The game is out in February.
ALL the screens will be from an unfinished build.

So they don't exactly need to point that out.

longdi

Banned
Now that Bish has approved our insider, what are the guesses that CDR are falling behind on?

My hunch is the promised open world-ness wont live up to the early billings. While it is everyone fantasy to play in an open living world that still have a rich of story structure, CDR dont seem to have the expertise or the past experience to fully realize that in TW3. That is why you still have separate games like TW/DA and Skyrim.

I dont think graphics will be a problem (on PC), unless they dumb things down to fit into next gen consoles.

i-Lo

I guess the final results will affect how ardent gamers and fans view CDPR and their future projects. CP2077 is one of my most anticipated titles and CDPR is my last hope. As a console only gamer, I hope things work out.

PFD

Now that Bish has approved our insider, what are the guesses that CDR are falling behind on?

My hunch is the promised open world-ness wont live up to the early billings. While it is everyone fantasy to play in an open living world that still have a rich of story structure, CDR dont seem to have the expertise or the past experience to fully realize that in TW3. That is why you still have separate games like TW/DA and Skyrim.

I dont think graphics will be a problem (on PC), unless they dumb things down to fit into next gen consoles.

Well we already know that the open world will be split up into several sections, it won't be a single seamless continent like Skyrim.

My guess is the console versions won't live up to the hype in terms of visuals. They must be deep into optimization right now, and they probably realized that most of what they've created won't translate beautifully into console hardware.

Fixed again. :p

lol

cripterion

Well we already know that the open world will be split up into several sections, it won't be a single seamless continent like Skyrim.

My guess is the console versions won't live up to the hype in terms of visuals. They must be deep into optimization right now, and they probably realized that most of what they've created won't translate beautifully into console hardware.

lol

What? I thought there was no loading, wasn't it supposed to be all seamless?

Maniac

Banned
Well in the end it's my words vs CDP PR. I mean why should You belive my if I have no solid evidence to show? But that's kind of my point, CDP build a very good realationship with gamers and now it's paying off as oppose to say EA. I do have inside knowledge, I did have contact with the game but again NDA and such plus I'm just a dude on the internet. my only point is that GAF should take everything CDP says with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Just to some up my messy line of thinking - don't preorder tha game (especially on consols) wait for the reviews, then decide or don't pay attention to a random dude on the internet and do what you want with your money.

So, uh... Does... Does this mean I should cancel my CE preorder? It's so pwitty ,_,

Sigh. If things look too good to be true... They probably are. Bloody hell.

The open world not being what it's expected to be was a concern many had when they first announced it's size and scope. It was when they started to actually show footage and screens that people were less worried.

Now that this guys says things aren't what they seem I'd bet that's what the issue will be. I just have a worrying feeling they're in over their heads.

Visually I hope it doesn't suffer the same issues as TW2

The open world not being what it's expected to be was a concern many had when they first announced it's size and scope. It was when they started to actually show footage and screens that people were less worried.

Now that this guys says things aren't what they seem I'd bet that's what the issue will be. I just have a worrying feeling they're in over their heads.

Visually I hope it doesn't suffer the same issues as TW2

What visual issues with TW2 are you referring to? And do you mean console, PC or both?

RedSwirl

What? I thought there was no loading, wasn't it supposed to be all seamless?

No. I think we know there are at least three areas, and at least two of those are each roughly the size of Skyrim. And I'm pretty sure the areas are split up for story reasons, not technical. They are areas that, in the lore, are really far away from each other. I think I can go ahead and say without spoiler tags that one of the areas is Khaer Moren, which if you look at a map of the Witcher world is on the complete opposite end of the continent from the city they've shown in gameplay videos. Of course Khaer Moren could also just be a tutorial area like it was in Witcher 1. Also, CDPR has already said in interviews that one reason they split off one area -- the Skellige Islands, is because they want to keep the scale of the world realistic (Skyrim is severely compressed compared to what it would be like in real life), and the Skellige Islands would realistically take an entire day to reach on boat.

In my opinion, the more difficult technical aspect of Witcher 3 for CDPR is probably the NPC AI. In the gameplay demos they've shown with Novigrad, they've said each character you see on screen has their own entire daily schedule (much like NPCs in Skyrim), that seamen will actually get in their boats and go out to sea to do trade, and that the city alone has 2,000 unique inhabitants. Journalists like John Davison also suggested they saw this demonstrated in sessions behind closed doors at E3. I imagine what they're doing is a step beyond how Bethesda handles its open-world NPC AI. It might even be slightly closer to something like Ultima VII.

What visual issues with TW2 are you referring to? And do you mean console, PC or both?

Probably the shadow dithering and sharpening that a lot of people don't like. Witcher 2's bloom implementation got some criticism as well.

Zarx

Viewing these on my TV atm and not really seeing what the initial reactions are about. Looks like standard stuff?

Pretty bad aliasing throughout the image with all the trees and grass and such. Not much detail on the distant mountains. Such like that.

Dragons Age 3 is looking mighty fine even when the image is at full resolution on my tube. Have to say graphically, in still images anyway, im more impressed by it at the moment. Art is better too.

In motion though so far the Witcher 3 has looked pretty slick

Dragon Age: Inquisition looks pretty rough IMO, just look at the last two screens they released.

iYbsHE7EfuNNy.jpg

iblrXqHd9phN8i.jpg

It's cross gen nature is pretty clear. Faces look good, if a little shiny tho.

Dragon Age: Inquisition looks pretty rough IMO, just look at the last two screens they released.

It's cross gen nature is pretty clear. Face look good, if a little shiny tho.

Frostbite will do wonders, but it's not going to beat CD Projekt Red's godlike powers.

Someone mind explaining to me when did CDPR acquire these god-like powers?

They are known for the Witcher series, whose part 1 was a disaster in its initial release. It was not until Witcher 2 that they received some popularity and now suddenly people are expecting too much from them with Witcher 3. I just can't understand the reason behind it. They have never been faultless so how can one game make them so?

Kieli

Still buying Witcher 3 to support CDprojekt Red for what they have done so far (Witcher 1/2, and GoG).

That being said, I'll tone my expectations down a notch.

maneil99

They are known for the Witcher series, whose part 1 was a disaster in its initial release. It was not until Witcher 2 that they received some popularity and now suddenly people are expecting too much from them with Witcher 3. I just can't understand the reason behind it. They have never been faultless so how can one game make them so?

Because the 2nd game was PC exclusive so they got overhyped

Seanspeed

Banned

How was The Witcher 1 a 'disaster'?

the Anaxymenes shenanigans don't take away from the fact that the screens in OP look poor in comparison to what they've shown off before.

personally i'm not one to lose interest in a game purely because of the graphics quality. but the downgrade claims seem legitimate.

Daverid

Because the 2nd game was PC exclusive so they got overhyped

Oh please, what a ridiculous statement.

If you don't like the game, that's entirely your own opinion. But trying to make some absurd blanket claim that it only received the love and hype it did because it was a PC exclusive is just plain idiocy.

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh please, what a ridiculous statement.

If you don't like the game, that's entirely your own opinion. But trying to make some absurd blanket claim that it only received the love and hype it did because it was a PC exclusive is just plain idiocy.
2nd game wasn't PC exclusive, either.

1st one was, though.

So his reasoning is entirely backwards.

EDIT: Unless he meant to say wasn't. In which its a different argument.

No, there is a dramatic difference between next and cross gen versions. I think Dragon Age looks better than Witcher 3 too.

No, there is a dramatic difference between next and cross gen versions. I think Dragon Age looks better than Witcher 3 too.
From what I've seen so far I much prefer the visual consistency of Dragon Age.

From the first trailer, the Witcher 3 has looked as though it may be a mixed bag when it comes to graphics. Geralt, Triss and the other main characters appear to be incredibly detailed, but most other characters look considerably worse. The same can be said of the environments. Some locations look astonishingly good, while other similar areas seem flat and lacking in detail. This has evidently been apparent, as every time a new round of screenshots has been released many people have been keen to point out the janky bits.

Every game naturally has weak and strong elements, especially open world ones, but the discrepancies between the highs and lows in The Witcher 3 seem more apparent than in most other games, likely due to the fact that the bright spots really shine. And while Inquisition at its best doesn't stand up to CDPR's game at its best, Dragon Age's visual presentation seems more cohesive and, as a result, is more appealing to me.

The big difference for me between Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition is the art. W3 has a lovely art, in textures, in patterns, faces, styles chosen, etc with some inspiration in history. DA:I is all over the place, and with a generic fantasy art style.

It's what it makes Witcher 3 looks much better than Dragon Age, even if the technical side of DA is solid.

The big difference for me between Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition is the art. W3 has a lovely art, in textures, in patterns, faces, styles chosen, etc with some inspiration in history. DA:I is all over the place, and with a generic fantasy art style.
Ha, I would say it's the exact opposite :p

Inquisition looks technically worse, but the art style is more consistent.

It's what it makes Witcher 3 looks much better than Dragon Age, even if the technical side of DA is solid.

What? Witcher 3 is generic fantasy art style too, you can't deny that. At least Dragon Age looks a tiny bit more stylized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuR2zMuUBaY

I see no muddy textures, just beautiful landscape and a great atmosphere.

@IcyBlueStrawberry

I agree! Dragon Age really looks more consistent.

I'm in bizarro world. It's the only explanation.

Witcher isn't pure generic fantasy, it has strong roots on renaissance historic style and eastern Europe leitmotifs. The other one is a pseudo stylized bland D&D fantasy.
One looks lovely, the other uninteresting. It's the difference between artists quality.

Witcher isn't pure generic fantasy, it has strong roots on renaissance historic style and eastern Europe leitmotifs. The other one is a pseudo stylized bland D&D fantasy.
One looks lovely, the other uninteresting. It's the difference between artists quality.
Opinions, man. They're crazy!

I wouldn't say either looks bland or unappealing. The Witcher definitely draws from the real world more than Dragon Age, but they both have their charm. I just happen to prefer the end result (what we've been exposed to thus far, anyway) of Dragon Age.

Character art is what unsold DA:I for me. Sorry. I still can try the game if the reviews are good enough.

Hell, it was the great artists that CDPR have what made Witcher 1 look pretty, even if the engine was incredibly outdated at the time.

greenfish

Banned
My favorite quotes in this thread, you can use these quotes on every game, they always delivers, you get bonus points for saying "oh it's just alpha build, game is out in less then a few weeks"

"it's the alpha version from PC" <--- why would a company use a SHITTY version to promote their product?

"must be console version" again why would use an inferior product to show off your darling?

"look at MGS5" you mean the game from the infamous Hideo where there's a cutscene every 5 minute? No thanks

"maybe they are using a low preset" what.... what!?!?

"nvidia hasn't released drivers yet" uh huh, wasn't aware nvidia was the number one contributor for making game engines noir that a driver would magically increase a game's graphich by 50%

What really get's me though is when they delay a game soley because consoles can't handle it or (worse) localization, most of the countries speaks english and most of us are still not living in the ww2 era. Yet for some reason these "other" countries needs to dub the games, and for some reason everyone else has to suffer.

Denton

Agreed, but to be fair DA:I at least when it comes to environments looks much better than DA1 or DA2.
Of course it doesn't hold a candle to Witcher, but it is still an improvement. I am glad they went with Frostbite at least.

Character art is what unsold DA:I for me. Sorry. I still can try the game if the reviews are good enough.

Hell, it was the great artists that CDPR have what made Witcher 1 look pretty, even if the engine was incredibly outdated at the time.

Please take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mjVe5IytE

In my opinion, it looks artistically and technically better than Witcher, and it's optimized for AMD too.

Seanspeed

Banned
"it's the alpha version from PC" <--- why would a company use a SHITTY version to promote their product?
Because they don't have a magical 'complete' version sitting around? Its in development. Its not weeks away, but several months still.

I don't think its a great argument if one is implying they have a better version to draw from, but its not ridiculous to suggest the game is still in an Alpha state.

"must be console version" again why would use an inferior product to show off your darling?
This is actually not uncommon.

I don't particular agree that's what is going on here, but its not a ridiculous notion like you're suggesting.

"look at MGS5" you mean the game from the infamous Hideo where there's a cutscene every 5 minute? No thanks
Way to miss the point.

"maybe they are using a low preset" what.... what!?!?
Not one of the better arguments, I agree. However, it is possible that not everything being shown is being cranked up. If they're working off a playable build rather than cherry-picking a shot of what they feel best represents their future target, its not implausible to a degree.

"nvidia hasn't released drivers yet" uh huh, wasn't aware nvidia was the number one contributor for making game engines noir that a driver would magically increase a game's graphich by 50%
Wasn't this in reference to the hair effects that they are working with Nvidia on? Again, like above, if this was taken from a playable-state build and simply don't have the HairFX enabled due to lack of driver maturity for the effect, its not an implausible suggestion.

I think there is going to be a lot of pleasantly surprised people when the final product comes around. It might not be the greatest looking game ever like some are expecting, but I think fears of a major downgrade are probably a bit of an overreaction.

NotUS

In my opinion, it looks artistically and technically better than Witcher, and it's optimized for AMD too.
Interesting how opinions vary.

Whilst I am looking forward to DAI, artistically it doesn't belong in the same sentence as the Witcher games, it's an insult to even attempt making a comparison.

Witcher games have a unique consistent look throughout the series, both characters and the game world, DAI's look is about as generic as it can get.

Let me get this straight, some dude starts dropping negative information about TW3 because he likes GAF or something, then before actually saying speciifics about that, he just straight up leaves and says nothing?

That is odd.

Yeah, I mean I felt the devs delivered on Witcher 2 and I have yet to see anything in any of the trailers or gameplay footage which makes me fear for this game. It is looking awesome regardless of the huge claims they are making. The Witcher 2 was ace, I don't see how they can't build on top of that to make an even more awesome game. My current fears are minimal.

The landscape looks pretty and shiny and colorful, but in a "fake" way, it doesn't have the naturalistic beauty of Witcher. The lightning make it more spectacular, but it also gives a plasticky look to everything. The tech is solid, but It looks like a video game forest, with an orography that doesn't make a lot of sense and trees that looks like they were placed randomly. Forget W3, Witcher 2 forest was better. Characters are kitsch.

Technically it looks about the same, artistically pretty inferior.

ColdRose

Whilst I am looking forward to DAI, artistically it doesn't belong in the same sentence as the Witcher games, it's an insult to even attempt making a comparison.

Witcher games have a unique consistent look throughout the series, both characters and the game world, DAI's look is about as generic as it can get.

I love the look of TW games, but I disagree that the characters are consistent. Triss Merigold in TW1 looks absolutely nothing like her character in TW2/3 (thank God), and indeed doesn't really behave like the same character either (I actually preferred her personality in TW1). And to be fair, TW artists have years worth of source material to draw on for their inspiration for TW's 'look', whereas with DA being Bio's original IP they've had to do all that stuff themselves - they should probably have planned it better from the start, but it's definitely getting more distinctive now, I think, than it was in DAO.

Personally, I'm really liking the look of both TW3 (despite the recent batch of screenshots being underwhelming) and DAI (despite that franchise still struggling to find its own visual identity somewhat) - shocking I know! TW3 character models do have a lovely, realistic and unique look about them, and CDPR's urban environments look especially wonderful. On the other hand, those DAI character tarot cards were absolutely gorgeous, there have been some fantastic looking screenshots (that swampy area especially), and I'm loving the facial customisation -- I imagine I will be spending many hours in the CC. I also really like the mage armours, a far cry from the granny outfits we were 'treated' to in DAO.

My only real concern about TW3 isn't that it won't look pretty (it will) - it's that both CDPR and some fans are hyping the game up to ridiculous levels - I've seen phrases like 'The King of CRPGs', and 'the Game to end all Games' and CDPR touted as 'the gods of game development', thrown around on various forums, with people preparing to spend hundred of pounds on new graphics cards in prep for this before the title even comes out. If even one of these lofty, and in my view, slightly unrealistic expectations even slightly falls short, if the visuals aren't as utterly spectacular as they've been presented in some of the best screenshots so far, then I worry that fans' disappointment and anger will bite CDPR in the arse. I'm not someone who buys into PR speak that much and haven't been for a long time, and I'm sure I'll have a good time with the game whenever it's released - but damn, I do wish video games marketing would ease off on the overdrive a bit :/

sublimit

Banned

I totally agree.
Visually i really like and prefer the distinct European feel in the Witcher games (mixing with fantasy) when on the other hand DA always looked very generic to me in terms of character models and especially the costumes/armor.I can't really point on what is it that makes me think so but in Bioware games the character models really remind me of American soap opera TV actors and that is putting me off.

The environments and towns/villages in the Witcher games also look more "dirty" and "grounded" (although still beautiful in their own way) than the more "flashy fantasy" look of the DA environments.

Top Bottom