• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 PS4 gameplay

SnowDrops

I literally just commented on it on the other thread. Sorry to burst your bubble twice :(

What thread is that if I may ask, and please don't tell me its the downgrade-thread because I'm so not going there, it ruins my mood everytime I take a sneakpeak in there :/

Anyway, DSR it is then. Im going to play the hell out of this game anyways, so yeah :D

So you can actually find clues in a room for example by search around and not using witcher senses? A quest for example had the player investigate the room. There was a rug on the floor that when you use witcher senses Geralt mentions something and then an "X" opos up and you find out there is a small room beneath.

My question is, if I am thorough and investigate the room without witcher senses, will "X" pop up and enable me to find the secret room? Or are you required to use witcher senses to find it?

I think Geralt just says that rug feels off to him, suggesting player using senses.

viveks86

What thread is that if I may ask, and please don't tell me its the downgrade-thread because I'm so not going there, it ruins my mood everytime I take a sneakpeak in there :/

Anyway, DSR it is then. Im going to play the hell out of this game anyways, so yeah :D

Sorry to break it to you again, but it was the downgrade thread :D

Strike 3!

I'm out!

(Surprisingly, we are actually discussing tech instead of flinging crap at each other. Must be because rest of the US is sleeping. I probably should too)

SnowDrops

Sorry to break it to you again, but it was the downgrade thread :D

Strike 3!

I'm out!

(Surprisingly, we are actually discussing tech instead of flinging crap at each other. Must be because rest of the US is sleeping. I probably should too)

Thanks, I might risk it then, but as soon as someone's gonna post a .gif I'm outta there :D

woah, that sounds promising.

yep I even relived my favourite Morrowind moment there. Some baron invited Geralt for investigation and trying to find clues I looked that baron and guards looked other ways and just stole all the silverware from the cabinets lol. I was desperate :D

and you can't just steal everything you'd like. I dunno what would happen if you do tho.

Watching a stream right now, loading screens after death are like 30-45 seconds long.

Lurgan1337 and idonteven can you confirm long loading screens after death ?

Altairre

yep, and it is very good at being open world rpg. The game feels very simillar to RDR very often.

RDR is one of the only open world games where I didn't feel that narrative and the open world style collide which is often a huge problem (Inquisition is a prime example of that). It's overall my favorite one until now. I hope W3 can reach similar heights.

Watching a stream right now, loading screens after death are like 30-45 seconds long.

Lurgan1337 and idonteven can you confirm long loading screens after death ?

that's true. did contract killing Cockatrix - died like 4 times. during loadings switched TV channels and browsed some web.

I also didn't notice any real auto-saves. Basicly you can run around killing stuff for hour doing small quests and have zero saves. I always save game manually every 10mins. Feels like old games. There are 8 save slots AFAIR

hemo memo

that's true. did contract killing Cockatrix - died like 4 times. during loadings switched TV channels and browsed some web.

I also didn't notice any real auto-saves. Basicly you can run around killing stuff for hour doing small quests and have zero saves. I always save game manually every 10mins. Feels like old games. There are 8 save slots AFAIR

Its always saves for me after finishing a quest but you're right, no auto-save in the wild you need to go to a fast travel point or enter a village for auto-save. (Notification at the start tells you to save often in the wild so you don't loss progress).

Guys i want to buy this so bad but Batman is coming out in a month and I'm not sure I'll be able to finish this game until than, and i have to buy Batman day 1. Anyone else with this dilema?

Nope. I've decided I don't need Batman day 1 because of the season pass bullshit. I'll wait for GOTY edition and be happy playing this until MGSV comes out.

valkyre

yeah really long loading screens but you dont die that much so i can kinda live with it

With the version you have now. Simply navigating the world, are there framedrops, or do they happen only when in combat or in areas with lots of npcs? I mean while navigating in the wilderness is the framerate rock solid?

aember

This has been said more than a few times now and I'm just not seeing it. Smeared/flat/blurred textures is just code now for "painterly".
That second shot is pretty nice though in general.
Maybe it looks fancy when in-game, stuff is moving, harder to notice textures, aliasing and whatnot.

I always think my GTAV screenshots look like ugly sin, but then I go back to the game and suddenly it's all fancy.

Maybe it looks fancy when in-game, stuff is moving, harder to notice textures, aliasing and whatnot.

I always think my GTAV screenshots look like ugly sin, but then I go back to the game and suddenly it's all fancy.

yep. that's totally on point. I like my graphics like any sane person. But I would not force myself to find shitty texture here and make an awful jpeg just to shitstorm on /v/

idonteven

With the version you have now. Simply navigating the world, are there framedrops, or do they happen only when in combat or in areas with lots of npcs? I mean while navigating in the wilderness is the framerate rock solid?

yeah the framerate is good,sometimes it derps in combat but not a lot

Sanctuary

Dark Souls had some relatively ugly textures in many places, which made the game seem really ugly in screenshots sometimes, but this rarely mattered in game. In the game, you don't just stand still, staring at bland textures and it looked way better in motion. Plus, much of the bad textures were covered up by the shadows that were everywhere.

Of course, you also had people posting 4k shots that almost no one really played the game at, focusing on the higher detailed character models and acting as though all of the world textures came anywhere close to matching that (which it almost never did most of the time).

oh yeah. another thing I lol'd at with rough wooden animations. Doors and gates are afraid of Geralt. They do not open gently with your extended arm. Instead it feels like Geralt makes them wake up and open instantly. I totally laugh at it cuz I like open them gates in videogames and here its almost comicly fun.

idonteven

it's hard to take picture's of stormy weather

some more screens
LBj9ltU.jpg
cxz3gTh.jpg
p88oZaH.jpg
LVeuG0K.jpg

Nah, it's combat gameplay from Bound by Flame, which is eerily reminiscent of the combat footage shown in TW2/TW3 and lacks any feedback on the hits.

oh well... W3 is far better than W2 so far in terms of combat feel. But as I mentioned earlier - I do not feel any real weight in combat. I get that witchers have super-human reflexes and move fast as wind, but it often looks like cheesy low-budget movie with many stupid non-practical poses and strikes. Btw I like dismemberment and gore a lot - but it does not seem real to me when Geralt cuts men in half diagonaly. May be I just like Berserk too much, but I can't imagine cuting man in half with such swift blows.

thatJohann

Patch v 1.01 was released yesterday once pre-loading started in certain regions on PSN.

V 1.01 does not mean day 1 patch

Day 1 patch could be v 1.02

Hell I've gotten games that on day 1 have a patch v 1.03

So the version number isn't necessarily correlated to day 1. Day 1 is May 19

valkyre

V 1.01 does not mean day 1 patch

Day 1 patch could be v 1.02

Hell I've gotten games that on day 1 have a patch v 1.03

So the version number isn't necessarily correlated to day 1. Day 1 is May 19

A certain tweet by tidus though that had a reply from a CDP dev as well, pretty much was talking about day 1 patch being available now. Cant find the tweet but it gave me the impression that this was indeed the performance patch.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Tend to disagree, Bloodborne looks really good if you compare it to the PS4 Version of The Witcher 3.
Art wise I agree, but from a technical standpoint I don't think they're anywhere close. I mean, Bloodborne's scale is much smaller and the NPCs don't even have moving mouths.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
a lot,you can see it coming tho.was riding with my horse in a sunny area and in the distance i saw lightning and dark clouds

xRPNIjg.gif

:trying to stay calm and wait until I can play it:

That sounds great, iirc there was a scene in Gophers video showing that storm in the distance.

thatJohann

A certain tweet by tidus though that had a reply from a CDP dev as well, pretty much was talking about day 1 patch being available now. Cant find the tweet but it gave me the impression that this was indeed the performance patch.

If that's the case then bummer. But I'm sure they will further optimize and patch a AAA game like this

Top Bottom