• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 supports new fancy Nvidia tech.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
And to think I was starting to hesitate on my original plan to build a new rig at the end of the year.

pestul

Why don't AMD's cards have a similar special physics system? Especially when these games are going to be (hopefully) doing this stuff on PS4 with an AMD chip?
Because AMD doesn't do proprietary crap like Nvidia. They use OpenCL. Nvidia is the one being anti-consumer here. This is obviously in direct response to Tressfx (timing cause I know the PhysX effect is older), yet doing it the wrong way by making it proprietary when it doesn't have to be (ala PhysX).
It's good to see Nvidia being optimized on. I was worried later this year if I build another gaming PC we would be seeing far too many AMD optimized games. I'm not an AMD fan and Battlefield 4 is optimized on AMD. =/
That's not the same thing going in here. There are some AMD partnered games that run better on Nvidia hardware. I don't think DICE just turned up an effect that made it struggle on Nvidia products. On the flip side, when it was exposed early into the DX11 /tessellation revolution that the Nvidia implementation was vastly superior to AMDs, some 'TWIMTBP' (Nvidia sponsored) titles cranked up the tessellation to absurd levels so there would be a huge void in performance between the brands. There was usually no difference visually between medium and this extreme tessellation.

This fur tech looks great, but it should be OpenCL.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Because AMD doesn't do proprietary crap like Nvidia. They use OpenCL. Nvidia is the one being anti-consumer here. This is obviously in direct response to Tressfx, yet doing it the wrong way by making it proprietary when it doesn't have to be (ala PhysX).

That's not the same thing going in here. There are some AMD partnered games that run better on Nvidia hardware. I don't think DICE just turned up an effect that made it struggle on Nvidia products. On the flip side, when it was exposed early into the DX11 /tessellation revolution that the Nvidia implementation was vastly superior to AMDs, some 'TWIMTBP' (Nvidia sponsored) titles cranked up the tessellation to absurd levels so there would be a huge void in performance between the brands. There was usually no difference visually between medium and this extreme tessellation.

This fur tech looks great, but it should be OpenCL.

I see this little conspiracy theory tossed about every now and again, but are there any examples aside from Crysis 2, which had tessellation so haphazardly applied it also dramatically affected performance on Nvidia hardware?

Dec

No joke I would buy a second GPU when I upgrade for dedicated hair simulation. That is mindblowing.

Going to wait with my 5870 as long as I can though.

pestul

I see this little conspiracy theory tossed about every now and again, but are there any examples aside from Crysis 2, which had tessellation so haphazardly applied it also dramatically affected performance on Nvidia hardware?

Crysis 2
HAWX 2

Titles had extreme tessellation performed on flat surfaces that would remain otherwise 'flat'. I guess I should have said a couple/few games but they were very popular sellers. AMD can at least be transparent without the proprietary physx angle.

It is not true even in Crysis 2s case... it has been explkained numerous times why that form of tesselation is not performance intensive and how wire frame mode in the game gets rid of culling and performance optimizations.

Hate this shit.

Crysis 2
HAWX 2

Titles had extreme tessellation performed on flat surfaces that would remain otherwise 'flat'. I guess I should have said a couple/few games but they were very popular sellers. AMD can at least be transparent without the proprietary physx angle.

Subdivision tesselation is far from performance intensive at all. Check out Maldos blog how it has nominal performance implications for almost all modern hardware.

ShowDog

Seeing as how both consoles are powered by AMD I can't fathom why CD Projekt Red would decide to go with Physx. They are either going to have to rebuild these effects for the consoles, completely remove them, or fix Physx. Obviously as someone with an AMD card I hope they fix Physx because I fucking hate this bullshit technology that runs like a complete turd and wouldn't be utilized by anyone if not for moneyhats.

Sentenza

Was there a separate demo or are you talking about the one at Microsoft's event?
I'm talking about the "behind closed doors" press presentation they had.
I don't even know if that was the same thing they showed during the MS event.

Momentary

Banned
Seeing as how both consoles are powered by AMD I can't fathom why CD Projekt Red would decide to go with Physx. They are either going to have to rebuild these effects for the consoles, completely remove them, or fix Physx. Obviously as someone with an AMD card I hope they fix Physx because I fucking hate this bullshit technology that runs like a complete turd and wouldn't be utilized by anyone if not for moneyhats.

Runs fine for me every time I enable it. Also, after seeing that wolf, it doesn't look like bullshit tech to me.

OryoN

gengame.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/WiiU_DKCountry_scrn01_E3-690x388.jpg

The new Donkey Kong on Wii U sports some really neat fur FX.
It's not quits as advanced as this stuff but still may be one of the best example until those NV-FX games hit.

So far, I've not seen really high quality vids, but from what you can make out, the fur is pretty impressive, looking a bit matted in some areas and it even sways under harsh movement. Unfortunately, due to necessary camera angles, it's often too far out of focus to appreciate.

iNvid02

Nvidia released a driver that fixed the stuttering for me... A week after I finished playing it. :p

yeah the stuttering was resolved and new drivers bought FPS improvements, albeit minimal ones. but the game did not run at a steady 60fps for me on a 690, certain areas would guarantee frame rate dips and snow would be murderous at times.

there was a 100 page plus thread on their forums with absolutely no acknowledgment from anyone, it was quite disgusting actually. thats the end of blindly buying AC on PC for me.

Sentenza

yeah the stuttering was resolved and new drivers bought FPS improvements, albeit minimal ones. but the game did not run at a steady 60fps for me on a 690, certain areas would guarantee frame rate dips and snow would be murderous at times.
Didn't bother playing AC3 because I simply have a fierce distaste for the franchise, but have yo uconsidered the idea that the issue could be related to your hard disk more than to your GPU/drivers?
It can happen with games that rely a lot on data streaming and constant access to the HD.

The Witcher 3 will consume most of my time next year. I loved the first two (I still need to do Yorveth's path in W2), and Witcher 3 looks to be coming in off the scales. I think it will be the first game to officially get 11/10 from IGN/Gamestop/GAFers.

Pro

The Witcher 3 will consume most of my time next year. I loved the first two (I still need to do Yorveth's path in W2), and Witcher 3 looks to be coming in off the scales. I think it will be the first game to officially get 11/10 from IGN/Gamestop/GAFers.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing. Some reputable review site has to throw out an 11/10 at some point.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It is not true even in Crysis 2s case... it has been explkained numerous times why that form of tesselation is not performance intensive and how wire frame mode in the game gets rid of culling and performance optimizations.

Hate this shit.

I'm actually having trouble digging up performance comparisons as virtually all of them compare pre-patch Crysis 2 with post-patch Crysis 2 inclusive of all the bells and whistles, which doesn't help since the patch added much more than just tessellation. The only Nvidia one I've found is Maldo's, and although in the end he only compared a single scene using a single GPU, it does suggest that the performance impact on Nvidia hardware isn't noticeable. I did find this unflattering AMD comparison, though, which, looking at the site, I may have misremembered as an Nvidia comparison.

FoxSpirit

Does this mean Open CL sucks at physics sim? Cuda wins?
No, that means NVidia wants to push their own cards with this tech by keeping everything proprietary and CUDA based. OpenCL is awesome at physics, it's basically open CUDA. CUDA came one or two years before OpenCL, that's all.

injurai

Banned
so this is Nvidia only, but will be also running on next-gen consoles that are all ATI? So PC wins out again or something or are they finding a way to implement this?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
tumblr_m67f73lsiw1r9iwauiz.gif

Dat silky smooth pelt. I doubt we can have that ingame with tons of other important additions to games like cloth physics and good DoF at the same time for a long time, though.

That Gif LOL

Kvik

I imagine with all these new tech, when TW3 comes along I'll be spending the first 30 minutes editing the .ini file, turn everything up to max, then see it runs at 1 fps. Ordering a GTX780 soon after.

iNvid02

Didn't bother playing AC3 because I simply have a fierce distaste for the franchise, but have yo uconsidered the idea that the issue could be related to your hard disk more than to your GPU/drivers?
It can happen with games that rely a lot on data streaming and constant access to the HD.

i just throw all my games onto the SSD, it had the latest firmware and disk benchmarks were fine etc so i ruled that out. i tried a lot of different things but nothing worked, and after the massive thread on their forums with so many having the same issues i put it down to just another unoptimized port

Top Bottom