• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 to be last Witcher game [Up: CDP CEO says franchise continuing]

I know whatever they choose to replace the Witcher with, I'll be there. They are easily my favorite current developer and as long as they don't start making a bunch of missteps, I'll follow them anywhere.

Complistic

This hurts, but I also know that there's an excellent chance I'll come to love whatever they do after just as much.

Eusis

You don't know CDPR then.
I'd imagine at most they'd sort of reach a middle ground: no more Witcher... because they finished what they wanted to do with Geralt, and create a new character elsewhere in the world to focus on, if they don't just let you make your own. More to do in the world, they just don't need to bullshit something involving Geralt.

It's also technically a licensed game though, so regardless of what CDPR may want to do their hands may be tied.

Last Witcher game?

Great! I respect that attitude. No need to drag a good thing for too long. Of course, you can go on to create something as good or better. Cyperpunk sounds like it might be as good or better.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm looking forward to see where they go next with fantasy stuff.

They are truly unrivaled in the genre.

Are they actually going to do any new fantasy stuff?

"Technology has progressed to where we can finally tell the story the way we want, with the visuals we want, in the world we imagined. This will be the ultimate fantasy RPG experience, and while we're hardly out of stories to tell, we believe it's time for us to look to new worlds and new horizons to keep pushing the boundaries of what we can create."

This kind of makes it sound like this is the end of their fantasy line as well if it's the "ultimate" one.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's bittersweet since the Witcher universe is worth exploring more, but I get it. As long as whatever else they're doing is as good as or better than the Witcher games I won't complain. Just keep making RPG's, CDPR.

I'm perfectly fine with CDPR ending the series with a bang.

So, we'll have two different titles from them in two consecutive years developed by two different teams. If that's not amazing I don't know what could ever be.

Looking forward to preorder the Collector's Edition or whatever is going to be called, I won't do the same mistake that I did with The Witcher 2 and just buy the digital deluxe edition months later.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmm true.

CDPR seem to be able to manage/handle a lot simultaneously. Are they one of the larger devs in Europe?

Nah they're like 112 people and hiring 32, but there are like 500+ person megastudios like Crytek and ~250-300 person studios like Creative Assembly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm fine with a franchise not being milked to eternity. Send it off with a bang and move on to other things.

Like a Conan the Barbarian RPG.

PnCIa

Well, i remember hearing about a remake of TW1, so the story might be finished here but we could get more of the same :)

G-Pink

I really respect CD Projekt Red for this. It's one thing to run a successful development/publishing business, which seems to be tough enough to achieve these days.

It's another thing entirely to be able to be in a position to make a decision like this, and actually follow through.

I want to be able to say to people that every Witcher game is playable, enjoyable, and lacking in concessions made, and I've seen the direct correlation between continuing a series for profit, and the resulting quality of those games, so it's really nice to see a company knowing when they've finished their task, and actually stopping.

lifa-cobex

As much as I'm against milking things...

uuhhhh nooooo :(

Still I'm sure it will be left off well. Hopefully it will inspire more books ( to wich I still need to read the others first)

scarybore

Disappointing as I love the universe, but knowing when to quit is something I respect and I want to see CDPR continue to expand their horizons.

Nairume

Banned
Are they actually going to do any new fantasy stuff?

"Technology has progressed to where we can finally tell the story the way we want, with the visuals we want, in the world we imagined. This will be the ultimate fantasy RPG experience, and while we're hardly out of stories to tell, we believe it's time for us to look to new worlds and new horizons to keep pushing the boundaries of what we can create."

This kind of makes it sound like this is the end of their fantasy line as well if it's the "ultimate" one.
I mean if they decide to go back to the fantasy genre and either try to create their own world or license out another IP.

A CDPR Amber game would be amazing at this point.

Terra_Ex

Better than the alternative of being milked to infinity, so I respect them for that. Not gonna lie though, I'll certainly miss taking up the role of Geralt in this universe so I hope they wrap up all the loose ends if this is really going to be the final game.

I respect a developer who's willing to end a franchise before it outstays its welcome. While the Witcher universe will have some untapped material, it seems like the Cyberpunk universe is just as dense.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How about a modern day RPG? I always wanted a RPG set in modern day that blends stuff like GTA, Deus Ex, and Alpha Protocol

Solo

YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Fucking finally, a developer who gets it and won't run a franchise into the ground.

CDPR respect +111234647659696

Perkel

Banned
From official release note looks like CDPR won't release any trailer.

I like their new strategy:

Go buy GameInformer for info or GTFO and here is video for our new logo which was already on out site for hours and by the way The Witcher 3 will be the last Witcher game.

Even in CDPR trolling teaser standards this is beyond bad.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm...okay with this. It can be difficult to move on from a successful franchise when it is at its peak, but going out on top is far preferable to a slow decline as something gets milked endlessly and the developers' passion subsides. Try for a perfect Witcher game, close up all the plot threads for an orgasmic ending and call it a day.

How many satisfying endings have we had this generation? Very few, since every dev is so sequel-minded.

FACE

Banned
ixo7CxKc2Ihj0.gif

This is how you do it. I feel like shedding a tear for CDPR having the balls to end a franchise on a really high note instead of chasing the money like every other studio in existence today.

The Witcher series is the first time I felt like I was there when a game becomes a classic. It will be remembered in the same vein as Deus Ex, Planescape and Bloodlines. Decades from now people will recommend it as landmarks of the medium. Just thinking about that makes me sad. ;_;

Suairyu

Banned
Renaissance-era France for inspiration, please.

Or pre-WW1 Egypt.

Or industrialised Japan.

Or Byzantium at the height of its power.

Just give me something fresh and exciting!

Dennis

Banned
  • The Witcher 3 comes out, is massive money maker.

• CD Projekt makes new RPG set in their own fantasy world, it bombs.

• CD Projekt announces The Witcher 4.
/ timeline

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm...okay with this. It can be difficult to move on from a successful franchise when it is at its peak, but going out on top is far preferable to a slow decline as something gets milked endlessly and the developers' passion subsides. Try for a perfect Witcher game, close up all the plot threads for an orgasmic ending and call it a day.

How many satisfying endings have we had this generation? Very few, since every dev is so sequel-minded.

I would guess that if we went and looked, the overwhelming majority of them would be games that were new IPs that might not end up with a sequel, so the developers didn't leave lots of loose ends.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm ok with this too. All of my favorite franchises entering this gen have been shat on with sub par entries at best so as much as I'd like more it's probably better to not take that risk.

Top Bottom