• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 to be last Witcher game [Up: CDP CEO says franchise continuing]

zonezeus

From official release note looks like CDPR won't release any trailer.

I like their new strategy:

Go buy GameInformer for info or GTFO and here is video for our new logo which was already on out site for hours and by the way The Witcher 3 will be the last Witcher game.

Even in CDPR trolling teaser standards this is beyond bad.

It's always like that with CDPR and we're to blame. Promise of SOME new info + GAF hype machine = "I don't want this crappy screens and bullet points, where is my 20-minute in-game story and mechanics trailer you motherfuckers?!". CDPR's early announcements are always underwhelming, yet in the end they always deliver.

Badowski continued, "People may ask if this is really going to be the last Witcher game. Yes, it is. Why? Because we believe that we should end the series on a high note.

Oh my god I'm seriously in love with this studio. Why are they so good? I'm almost crying.

- Free DLC.
- Loads of patches.
- The regular X360 edition of Witcher 2 came with a guide and map at no additional cost.
- CPR are always humble.
- They make great games.
- They don't just make more sequels to fish out money.

How can they do everything right? They're unlike any other developer in this business. They're breaking every norm there is. Activision and EA must be crying when reading about CPR. I will seriously support this studio no matter what. I just can't believe this.

good, am glad they are not going to try to milk it. move on to the next thing. i like their way of thinking, they know what they want, they know how they will do it. we need more people like them, more iron fist and ready to move on.

gabbo

Assuming it's as good as the first two (out of th gate this time though guys, I don't need an 8-15 gb update), I'm fine with that. Let them make games with whatever lore/license they want so long as it's high quality.

I think I'm going to cry.

Well, at least it's a honorable attitude to not milk the franchise just because they can. But it's sad because only now the franchise have the mass recognition it deserves and they will enjoy it only for one game.

Perkel

Banned
It's always like that with CDPR and we're to blame. Promise of SOME new info + GAF hype machine = "I don't want this crappy screens and bullet points, where is my 20-minute in-game story and mechanics trailer you motherfuckers?!". CDPR's early announcements are always underwhelming, yet in the end they always deliver.

Buy GI or GTFO is not in my opinion good way to show fans that you care about them and this comes from dude who always was hyped about CDPR conferences and thought "in the end they delivered"

I'm very interested in the graphics, physics, AI and huge game environments of this game. This will be one of the first next gen games so if it excels in all those aspects then we basically have nothing to worry about next gen. That would be an amazing baseline. Just think how linear games will look and play after, that is if witcher 3 turns out to be impressive on a technical standpoint.

I'm sure the game will be good from a subjective view since the studio is gaining a solid reputation.

CD Godjekt

If it was up to me, CD Projekt would be the European equivalent of Valve, which they already are in my opinion. They just need to be as financially secure as Valve, and increase their game output outside of the RPG genre. Hell, make Plough-Life 3 CD Projekt!

Camp Lo

Banned
Buy GI or GTFO is not in my opinion good way to show fans that you care about them and this comes from dude who always was hyped about CDPR conferences and thought "in the end they delivered"

What did you want them to do? The GI is chocked full of goodness and any enthusiast will obtain every bit if information without giving one dime to GI

zonezeus

With this I agree. I didn't really notice the lack of any substantial info apart from GI stuff because of all the rumors floating around freely today, but you're partly right.

FACE

Banned
If it was up to me, CD Projekt would be the European equivalent of Valve, which they already are in my opinion. They just need to be as financially secure as Valve, and increase their game output outside of the RPG genre. Hell, make Plough-Life 3 CD Projekt!

Their recent output has pleased me far more than Valve's.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

That's how GI works though.

You give them full exclusive coverage for one month.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm down with it being the last game in truth (I think three games is a enough titles for any character driven franchise). Albeit I like a good sequel generally it's a real problem when it comes to story line continuity as well as dealing with the age old problem of taking a fully realized character (with skills) from one title to the other and the inevitable need to reset/adjust/handicap them in some manner. I suspect that the CDProjekt Witcher team are probably keen on heading in a new direction after this long as well (a hard sci-fi Space RPG would be nice).

Coldsnap

Awesome. Loved Witcher 2, maybe my favorite game this generation although I don't want to make a statement like that, went into it with 0 expectations and was completely engrossed by the characters and story. Started Witcher 1 this weekend actually and I'm enjoying that.

I'm down with it being the last game in truth (I think three games is a enough titles for any character driven franchise). Albeit I like a good sequel generally it's a real problem when it comes to story line continuity as well as dealing with the age old problem of taking a fully realized character (with skills) from one title to the other and the inevitable need to reset/adjust/handicap them in some manner. I suspect that the CDProjekt Witcher team are probably keen on heading in a new direction after this long as well (a hard sci-fi Space RPG would be nice).

I'd be in heaven. Something needs to fill the Mass Effect sized hole in my heart.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm ok with this too. All of my favorite franchises entering this gen have been shat on with sub par entries at best so as much as I'd like more it's probably better to not take that risk.

Well, one thing to remember is that this is a license, so if the game sells and CD Projekt isn't making the games, someone else (probably a lot less qualified) will be.

Solo

Well, one thing to remember is that this is a license, so if the game sells and CD Projekt isn't making the games, someone else (probably a lot less qualified) will be.

And that is fine.

I'll be happy to know that there are only three CDPR Witcher games. However good/bad the inevitable Witcher game from another company is, it won't alter the legacy of CDPR's series.

I respect a developer who's willing to end a franchise before it outstays its welcome. While the Witcher universe will have some untapped material, it seems like the Cyberpunk universe is just as dense.

It doesnt.
I dont know why people here think theres a lot more lore than what is being presented now, i understand they like the unverse (i freakin love it myself) but there isnt much more if they kill or finish with a happy ending Geralt's life.

The only think to return is make games about the books directly, and they dont work really well as games.

Hargenx

Something "new" apears on the oficial forum...

randir14 said:
They say this is the last Witcher game, but this article says it's only the last part of Geralt's story and that CD Projekt isn't abandoning Andrzej Sapkowski's world. So what do you think happens in TW3? Geralt dies? Who will be the next protagonist...Ciri? Is that her on the Game Informer cover?

Create our own witcher, or mage, or merc, or, or....OH GOD!!!

Ezio

It's good that they are going out on a high note, I hope it's up to everyone's expectations though.

Midou

Making one game with all their ideas and leaving it at that seems to be by far the best choice. No loose ends. Focusing on new franchises is all good.

Hopefully at long last, they will go out in style by making a good combat system finally.

I would love to see the original witcher-combat enhanced and intensified
but I know this won't happen. :(
I always feel like the first game is criminally underrated + neglected in current debates. It was far from perfect but capable of development. instead of doing so they chose to exchange a lot of stuff completely, like the combat system.
It's going to be interesting to see the full development throughout the series though

Hargenx

Do you have a full quote translation per chance?

Using google per se...

"Full name of the new game "The Witcher third Wild Hunt". This will be the final part of the trilogy about the adventures of a computer Geralt. CD Projekt stipulates that if the story the main character of the series created by writer Andrzej Sapkowski completed in 2014, the company has no intention to abandon the same world known witcher saga. This means that left the door open for the next game in the best-known fantasy universe created in Poland."

Now about the truth on it, I can't garantee...

Perkel

Banned
I see.

So it's not an interview.

Yeah, no interview.

But looking at things it may be The last Witcher game but they can make other games in that world naming it differently. Witcher=Geralt So if they want to choose other protagonist like custom created they need to have different name than Witcher because player could be someone other than witcher.

Lime

You guys are adorable.

It would be an interesting take to have a female lead in Witcher's dark fantasy world with lots of ploughing. Instead of the female-only whore houses, you'd get

• male-only brothels,
  • skimpy underwear for all the male characters,
  • oversized crotchs,
  • and sidequests with males in distress.

It would be interesting, to say the least.

Perkel

Banned
Ok someone translate me GI thing. Can i just buy their mag on site ? I tried to login and buy it and then it just said go to your gamestop... and then site died.

EDIT:

Hell fucking yeah. 12 issues for only 19.99$ and no option to buy just one mag, for just few pages of info.
Thanks CDPR but not thanks that is some bullshit tactic.

Yeah, if its the last "Witcher" game as in the last game where we play as Geralt, that's fine. It would be a shame to simply ditch the Witcher universe though, since its pretty awesome.

I do wonder if CDPR ever wants to try and make their own IP though, instead of licensing.

8amXrA4.gif

Ending on a high note. Great job CDPR. That's why you're so awesome.

nasos_333

If they keep making epic medieval style games, i dont really care how they are called

If on the other hand they stop making such titles, will be devastating

Top Bottom