• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

Twinduct

consolebutthurt.jpg

f8a.gif

Which gaffer's account is that?
Don't be shy!

Sentenza

FYI this is NOT CDPR`s twitter account.

(sorry for double post, I`m such a newb)
Aaand for the record you're quoting the wrong guy, as that wasn't me but Twinduct.

P.S. I don't get why you edited your previous post, it was awesome.
P.P.S. Well, which is the official CDPR's Twitter account, then?

Perkel

Banned

Good to know.

Questions:

1. How is combat shaping up with new animations ? I mean in TW2 there was like 20 animations and now you have almost 90 (according to interview). Especially responsiveness of it is crucial imo. TW2 PC had problems with it often blocking or using signs/traps/bombs in wrong time (double tap, lag etc.)

2. Did you add fluid analog stand>walk>run animation blending ? There was blending in TW2 but there was only 3 states of it. Either Stand or Walk or Run. There were no in between states. For keyboard it wasn't really issue but playing with controller it was jarring.

Those two things were never patched in TW2 from it's premiere (1st one especially).

Binabik15

Good to know.

Questions:

1. How is combat shaping up with new animations ? I mean in TW2 there was like 20 animations and now you have almost 90 (according to interview). Especially responsiveness of it is crucial imo. TW2 PC had problems with it often blocking or using signs/traps/bombs in wrong time (double tap, lag etc.)

2. Did you add fluid analog stand>walk>run animation blending ? There was blending in TW2 but there was only 3 states of it. Either Stand or Walk or Run. There were no in between states. For keyboard it wasn't really issue but playing with controller it was jarring.

Those two things were never patched in TW2 from it's premiere (1st one especially).

And

Is there a Mordhau in the game (grabbing your sword's blade and hammering the crossguard or pommel into your enemy to mimic a warhammer against armoured targets)? Geralt did it in TW1 on stunned enemies, but I never saw one in TW2 :(

Context sensitive executions or what that finishing attack was called would be fantastic as well, with slashing attacks on unarmoured foes/monsters and stabbing and joint targeting on armoured baddies. Or wrestling/throwing them down and stabbing through their visor slits.

I don't like it when movies or games have swords slicing through plate armour.

Hzoltan69

In what way?

If PS4 and 720 still can't handle PC level graphics then it'll be a waste of money buying these new consoles. It's been 8 years. I don't want to deal with scaled back anything.

Of course, they won't be able to handle PC levels, not even at launch, and based on the rumored specs I have a feeling the new gen will get outdated even sooner than the last one.

On the other hand, they do cost a fraction of a constantly upgraded high-end gaming PC, so all's fair...

Eideka

Banned
In what way?

If PS4 and 720 still can't handle PC level graphics then it'll be a waste of money buying these new consoles. It's been 8 years. I don't want to deal with scaled back anything.

Multiplats will look better on powerful PC hardware, what did you expect ?

Lime

Since we're posting gifs while we have to wait for 2014:

iIK9sNbwXd6Ue.gif

credit to the person who made this gif in the original TW2 OT.

Frogacuda

Banned
Some of you guys seem to think Poland is some sort of desperate third world country and developers' salaries at CDPR are a tenth of the average in the industry.

That's really not the case.
While I'm sure exchange rate plays in their favor, I would guess there was a lot of good management involved to keep costs so low for TW2.
The Witcher 2 has a huge team, and salaries do seem to be a lot less than elsewhere. Polish video game development is coming up in a big, big way, and part of the reason for that is because the exchange rate does favor them.

That's not to take away from the talent of CDPR, who are no doubt one of the best developers in the world. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them, and I'll buy pretty much anything they put out until they give me a reason otherwise.

Perkel

Banned
Took me forever to load but man did they just shit on Skyrim or what?

CDPR has balls.

They have balls and means to do what they are talking about. As of Skyrim he was perfectly right. Beautiful world filled with generic content.

Question is if they can deliver what they promised.

Erethian

Took me forever to load but man did they just shit on Skyrim or what?

CDPR has balls.

Not shitting on it (since they started talking about it by saying everyone there is a big fan of open world games, especially Skyrim) so much as recognising the big problems with Bethesda quest design, particularly the part about the game world and characters not reacting effectively to your choices. Makes me very hopeful for what they can do with the Witcher 3, assuming they come good on the promises.

zkylon

zkylewd
They called the holy grail of open world games generic and its quests boring and repetitive, even if they gave them that they have pretty vistas and that they all played it.

I like it, I'm still unsure what's their plan since usually open worlds just mess with linear narrative, but day 1, fo'so.

Derrick01

Banned
They called the holy grail of open world games generic and its quests boring and repetitive, even if they gave them that they have pretty vistas and that they all played it.

I like it, I'm still unsure what's their plan since usually open worlds just mess with linear narrative, but day 1, fo'so.

I wish more people would call Skyrim for what it is. I don't know why we've created some rule in this industry where you can't ever say anything but politically correct praise or else you're being unfair to whoever made what you're criticizing. Shit, someone has to do it if the gaming media and reviewers are not going to be fair and label all of Skyrim's faults and just give it 10s and countless GOTY awards.

Perkel

Banned
I wish more people would call Skyrim for what it is. I don't know why we've created some rule in this industry where you can't ever say anything but politically correct praise or else you're being unfair to whoever made what you're criticizing. Shit, someone has to do it if the gaming media and reviewers are not going to be fair and label all of Skyrim's faults and just give it 10s and countless GOTY awards.

I think it is case of "production values" Reviewers simply think that if game has vast production values (big world, graphic etc) = it must be good.

Same with GTA4. Game was mediacore in comparison to san andreas (except physic stuff) and reviewers went mad with scores just because game is big.

Derrick01

Banned
I think it is case of "production values" Reviewers simply think that if game has vast production values (big world, graphic etc) = it must be good.

Same with GTA4. Game was mediacore in comparison to san andreas (except physic stuff) and reviewers went mad with scores just because game is big.

Howard seems to agree too. Here's what I read on RPS a few days back from him.

Naturally, then, Howard’s primary concern is the same as it’s always been: making worlds that feel more tangibly alive. So I asked him how he plans to go about doing that next – whether that means improved AI, more expansive environments, better combat, or a host of smaller details – and his answer surprised me a bit: graphics.

Everyone at DICE was trying to come up with new ideas and figure out where gaming's going, and (I guess unsurprisingly) his answer was more graphics.

“Everybody always wants more power,” he said. “As a developer, you always want more. How good will it look with more memory? How many people can we put on screen if we have more processing power? But even with all of those things, I think people discount graphics. They’ll say, ‘Well, the gameplay’s what really matters,’ and it does. But I do feel that graphics and your ability to present something that feels new, real, and believable puts people in that environment where they can really enjoy what they’re playing.”

So if you think Bethesda's ever going to fix the problems in their games, there's 2 quotes that basically say immersion > gameplay which shows they won't. Well...besides Skyrim's 10 million sales and casual audience that is.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/bethesdas-howard-people-discount-graphics/

Top Bottom