• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

zkylon

zkylewd
Reviewers are just too naive or whatever to see through the hype and grade games for what they are. I don't think Skyrim is terrible, but it's as shallow as they get, it's pretty sad it takes a developer from the other side of the world to call them on it.

I don't know GI's viewer profile, but this is somewhat surprising:

u7zriQl.png

Lime

I don't know GI's viewer profile, but this is somewhat surprising:

Possible explanations: Game Informer's audience, the lack of popularity of European games in the U.S., console owners, lack of brand recognition, etc.

Personally I don't think it's that surprising.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I wish more people would call Skyrim for what it is. I don't know why we've created some rule in this industry where you can't ever say anything but politically correct praise or else you're being unfair to whoever made what you're criticizing. Shit, someone has to do it if the gaming media and reviewers are not going to be fair and label all of Skyrim's faults and just give it 10s and countless GOTY awards.
Maybe people actually liked Skyrim? I mean most "people" I know certainly did. And I enjoyed the game during it's first 30 hours before the "wow" effect wore thin.
I find more surprising how popular is the last one.

What's that? People with anger issues?
"YOU KNOW WHAT? I DON'T CARE AT ALL ABOUT THAT AWESOME LOOKING GAME!"
Those votes are probably made by nintendo fans or j-rpg fans.;p

Everyone at DICE was trying to come up with new ideas and figure out where gaming's going, and (I guess unsurprisingly) his answer was more graphics.

Can you really blame him for thinking "everyone wants more power"? Have you looked at the Orbis/Durango/Wii U threads on this board? It seems like the majority want nothing more than graphical fidelity reaching photorealism and could give 2 shits about how AI systems or physics engines evolve to deliver far more realistic and engrossing worlds and experiences. Its just "are these specs going to be enough to give me 4k resolution at 60fps?!"

Concept17

I played a bit of the first one and got bored once I reached some sewers. Game felt horribly linear and the story wasn't enough at that point to hold my interest.

For some reason I bought the second game on the steam sale, but haven't tried it. What is it about the series everyone likes?

CaVaYeRo

Looks like CD Projekt RED got early access to PS4 dev kit, and, as they said already, REDengine 3 is "next-gen ready". Wonder if that means X720 too or if it depends on similar-to-PC architecture.

Chromie

Banned
What is it about the series everyone likes?

The writing and complex character. I'll add the incredible use of politics. I've never played a game that politics used so well. Kings are bastards, men in power are ruthless and it feels like a true low fantasy game. It makes me wish CDPR could've made the Game of Thrones rpg.

The gameplay is fun but a bit...wonky but the writing is incredible. I do think Obsidian is sitll better but so far CDPR has managed to really improved since the first game but unlike Obsidian they actually have the money to make their games look great and perform well.

For some reason I bought the second game on the steam sale, but haven't tried it. What is it about the series everyone likes?
No black and white, good or evil decisions in the game. Choices often impact things later in the game that you don't realize when you're making them. So you can't make a decision, then immediately reload and make the other decision to see which result you like better.

First game is poorly paced, unfortunately, and like others said doesn't really feel like the full game until after those sewers.

zkylon

zkylewd
The writing and complex character. I'll add the incredible use of politics. I've never played a game that politics used so well. Kings are bastards, men in power are ruthless and it feels like a true low fantasy game. It makes me wish CDPR could've made the Game of Thrones rpg.

The gameplay is fun but a bit...wonky but the writing is incredible. I do think Obsidian is sitll better but so far CDPR has managed to really improved since the first game but unlike Obsidian they actually have the money to make their games look great and perform well.
I agree with this fine gentleman/gentlelady on anything.

POLITICS ARE FUN PEOPLE

Derrick01

Banned
I played a bit of the first one and got bored once I reached some sewers. Game felt horribly linear and the story wasn't enough at that point to hold my interest.

-Pretty good stories and writing, not obsidian or old CRPG caliber but far far above Bethesda and modern Bioware. More mature and complex than most current attempts at game stories.

-Actual impact on your decisions. In TW2 you can get an entirely different 10 hour section of the game depending on your choices.

-Graphics. Simple enough there

-Interesting characters in an above average fantasy world. I usually don't even try to pay attention to most fantasy world stuff with their unpronounceable names.

BillyBillBlack

Neo Member
The circumstances in which Geralt received his tattoo was enough for me to name it my goty. I didn't love the first game but the second was wonderful. It isn't perfect but I can give them a pass as they don't have EA money.

zkylon

zkylewd
Wooohoo witcher for ps4. Im always scared about PC Ports though.
But I live CD projekt red.
The port, per se, is very likely to be all sorts of awesome, my only concern is that the game feels consolized as TW2 did, with menus that aren't optimized for K&M, shitty list inventories, not being able to map signs to keys, etc.

Derrick01

Banned
I assume its the "game is gonna be consolized/dumbed down" mindset

An extremely understandable and legit concern for most PC gamers. This would be like...the three dozenth time we've been burned by a company that used to be primarily PC focused and sacrificed gameplay design for the console audience, which is a different audience whether you want to admit it or not. Just because we have a few thousand people on Gaf that may hold the same standards as PC gamers, doesn't mean there are 70 million of you.

Derrick01

Banned
That already happened for Witcher 2, so everyone should suck it up at this point.

I've been saying that (and flamed for it) for a while now. But I think the dumbing down in that game was small enough to still be acceptable. There's always a small but ok level of streamlining in a game, the problem is most people take it way too far for the console audience. To the point where it's no longer any fun to play because it's too simplistic.

Not dumbed down but consolized.

edit: I'm saying not dumbed down since mechanically The Witcher games were never too complicated to begin with.

I still don't understand--how was it consolized? I certainly don't feel that, if it was, it was done at the expense of PC.

EDIT: Bear in mind it's been a while since I played the first Witcher game.

I've been saying that (and flamed for it) for a while now. But I think the dumbing down in that game was small enough to still be acceptable. There's always a small but ok level of streamlining in a game, the problem is most people take it way too far for the console audience. To the point where it's no longer any fun to play because it's too simplistic.

I don't think they'll dumb it down farther than Witcher 2.

I expect a better Witcher 2 actually. It should be fine.

Complistic

It was streamlined, which in TW2's case was a good thing because TW1 had a lot of clunky and unnecessarily difficult obstacles to enjoyable gameplay.

So in a sense it was "consolized" but only to a degree. It obviously didn't sacrifice a lot of things that make the series great. Just the annoying bits.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I still don't understand--how was it consolized? I certainly don't feel that, if it was, it was done at the expense of PC.

EDIT: Bear in mind it's been a while since I played the first Witcher game.

It's a little more tailored towards gamepad controls, I guess. But that's less due to consoles and more due to the rise of gamepad support between 2007 and 2011. TW1 isn't any deeper than TW2, combat-wise it's a lot less demanding.

Biggzy

Not dumbed down but consolized.

edit: I'm saying not dumbed down since mechanically The Witcher games were never too complicated to begin with.

Well I preferred using a 360 controller than a mouse and keyboard, so it must have been consolised.

I currently have an Nvidia 670 and an aging Core 2 Quad. I don't want to upgrade my CPU anytime soon. I think I'll be getting Witcher 3 on PS4 if it is as good as I'd expect it to be.

It was streamlined, which in TW2's case was a good thing because TW1 had a lot of clunky and unnecessarily difficult obstacles to enjoyable gameplay.

So in a sense it was "consolized" but only to a degree. It obviously didn't sacrifice a lot of things that make the series great. Just the annoying bits.

It's a little more tailored towards gamepad controls, I guess. But that's less due to consoles and more due to the rise of gamepad support between 2007 and 2011. TW1 isn't any deeper than TW2, combat-wise it's a lot less demanding.

Gotcha. I guess I didn't really see it as being consolized, just better designed/streamlined. Most times when talking about consolization, it's due to a compromise that had to be made that negatively affects the PC.

zkylon

zkylewd
On top of my head the item/signs wheel replacing hotkeys for items/signs and the list inventory. On launch there were also issues with text size being too big in many menus, etc. The lock-on centric gameplay is pretty wonky no matter how many times they've patched it and feels a lot less responsive than the simpler mouse targeting in TW1, too.

All those changes didn't really improve the game on PC, and seem pretty much a result of also targeting consoles.

TW2 was still pretty good, but it was despite all those things, and I'd really like developers took the time to develop a completely different UI for PC.

Top Bottom